Phuket death hill bus, truck ban during rush hours

webfact

Phuket death hill bus, truck ban during rush hours
Wiparatana Nathalang

1398165539_1-org.jpg
The new curfew is aimed at preventing this sort of scene on Patong Hill. Photo Jared Lucow

PHUKET: From May 1, in a new attempt to prevent crashes on Patong Hill large buses and trucks will not be allowed through the checkpoint in Thung Thong and onto the hill during morning and evening rush hours.

Thung Tong Superintendent Pol Maj Aekkarat Plaiduang told The Phuket News today, “We have to do this because there is a lot of traffic during peak hours.

“This results in buses and trucks having to use their air brakes too often. Accidents happen when the brakes run out of air.

He said the road will be closed every day to trucks with more than 10 wheels and large buses from 6 to 9 am and from 4 to 7 pm. The drivers will have to go to Patong via Cherng Talay and Kamala [to the north], or Kata and Karon [to the south] instead, he said.

“If buses and trucks try to go along this road during the times of the bans, they will be fined up to a maximum of B2,000.”

He also noted that police at the checkpoint are still spot-checking truck and bus drivers for abuse of alcohol or drugs.

He added that it had been found that many of the buses that have been involved in crashes on the hill were not inspected in Phuket, but in Phang Nga or Krabi “because it is difficult to pass the test at the Phuket Transport Department”.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-death-hill-bus-truck-ban-during-rush-hours-45837.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-04-23

“This results in buses and trucks having to use their air brakes too often. Accidents happen when the brakes run out of air. ..... <deleted> make sure buses are in running order simple!!!

“This results in buses and trucks having to use their air brakes too often. Accidents happen when the brakes run out of air. ..... make sure buses are in running order simple!!!

Note .to all drivers .. post-92414-0-56375900-1398222446.jpg Note to all passengers post-92414-0-74117200-1398222479_thumb.j

post-92414-0-56375900-1398222446.jpg

post-92414-0-74117200-1398222479_thumb.j

Edited by Lobber

This is an eye opener for me.I didn't know buses only crash at certain times of the day.I think Thailand is on a winner here.

Someone in the west needs to buy this Thai technology pronto.

Edited by oldsailor35
  • Like 1

is it the same for alcohol ? ban the sale of it from 1pm to 5pm ....... but people still drink .... and die in car accident .... coffee1.gif

But not everybody who drink alcohol drive bus,car or truck..............duhhhhhhh

• Like 1

“This results in buses and trucks having to use their air brakes too often. Accidents happen when the brakes run out of air. ..... <deleted> make sure buses are in running order simple!!!

And Thai drivers should be shown how to change to low gear when on steep down hill section.

• Like 1

And Thai drivers should be shown how to change to low gear when on steep down hill section.

Teaching them how to drive would be a good start

Diverting large buses through Kamala and Kata is just stupid beyond belief!!!! As said above, the roads are tiny and single pass and still over steep terrain that will be just as trecherous for poorly maintained buses and trucks.

Tourists boarding buses at the airport or at hotels need to be made aware that actually riding in a large bus is 10x more dangerous for their safety and isbest avoided at all costs.

Sadly, most tourists are just as short sighted as the Thai officials running Phuket so a real shame a better solution cannot be found.

Edited by roderz

Quote: "He added that it had been found that many of the buses that have been involved in crashes on the hill were not inspected in Phuket, but in Phang Nga or Krabi “because it is difficult to pass the test at the Phuket Transport Department”.

He really meant: it is too expensive to pass the test at the Phuket Transport Department.

We all know why it's too expensive.thumbsup.gif

Quote: "He added that it had been found that many of the buses that have been involved in crashes on the hill were not inspected in Phuket, but in Phang Nga or Krabi “because it is difficult to pass the test at the Phuket Transport Department”.

He really meant: it is too expensive to pass the test at the Phuket Transport Department.

We all know why it's too expensive.thumbsup.gif

'We all know', just say what you mean but don't presume you know what I think or know.

For your information, on Phuket many vehicles are not passed because of violations.

air breakes run out of air ? &lt;deleted&gt;???

thats the whole point, as little air - the more break-force is applied ...

looks like the peoples making this nonsense rules are very professional in automotive technology.

what about making stupidity and loss of common sense a traffic offence. that would solve all problems over night.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is an eye opener for me.I didn't know buses only crash at certain times of the day.I think Thailand is on a winner here.

;) We all know that their vehicles are really well maintained, that the drivers are experts in their field, and that pigs fly !

How does thailand think that they will ever be taken seriously by anyone when you give these pathetic fines. What is 2000thb? Are you serious? Thats a joke for one of these bus companies to pay, especially with all the money they save by not maintaining the buses.

How does Thailand think that they will ever be taken seriously by anyone?? Period

Excellent idea. They can drive through the coastal villages, on a 2 lane road vs a 4, and over the other hills which are scenes to nearly as many accidents. About as sensible as as two lane tunnel replacing an already overloaded 4 lane Patong hill road. Its the vehicle maintenance and poor driving that is the issue - not sending the same on a different route.

Totally agree. And even if they do take the other route to Patong passed Bang Tao & Kamala....there are STILL some VERY steep hills they have to overcome in that direction! *face palm*

• Like 1

Diverting large buses through Kamala and Kata is just stupid beyond belief!!!! As said above, the roads are tiny and single pass and still over steep terrain that will be just as trecherous for poorly maintained buses and trucks.

Tourists boarding buses at the airport or at hotels need to be made aware that actually riding in a large bus is 10x more dangerous for their safety and isbest avoided at all costs.

Sadly, most tourists are just as short sighted as the Thai officials running Phuket so a real shame a better solution cannot be found.

I agree up to the point where you commented "most tourists are just as shortsighted...". I've never surveyed all tourists to be able to say "most", "half" "all" or any other term in reference to a definite number. I've not seen any scientic research done on this topic either.

I would probably use the words "I guess" "most tourists are just as shortsighted...".

• Like 1