It Always Rains in April!

Neeranam

The FIL and other locals used to say it always rains after Songkran, and that's the start of the wet season. But the past few years it now seems to be early May. The humidity must be very high now as everything in the garden and around the district is really growing well, even with only two recent thunderstorms.

We've had 2 thunderstorms so far in April, just the prelude for the real rainy season starting May 11th or 12th. But the last week has been a killer, no clouds and often no breeze, just the merciless sun.

It's got to break soon surely?

Not a drop in Bangkok....and last years disgustingly hot and long hot season didn't break until well into June/July....

If the counter to that is another cool season as delicious as the one just passed was, I'll not be too mithered....

Edited by HeavyDrinker

It almost always rains one day during Songran, every year, in Chiang Mai and then not another drop until the middle of May. This year it has been sprinkling really often and overcast - like it is going to rain - a lot. However, it has only been a decent rain once or twice (near Thapae Gate) and it has not seemed to cool things down like the rain usually does.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I am waiting desparately for a good thunderstorm. Its so damned hot!

Very little rain so far.

But not really unusual for this time of year.

I read a number of pessimistic long-term outlooks due to El-Nino.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ni%C3%B1o).

2014 might be even dryer than last year.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I thought they had a tropical storm warning across 52 provinces between the 21st and 26th April this year?

Hasn't happened yet up here in Phitsanulok, although there have been a few 'dry' storms around. High winds and lightening flashing around, no thunder and fairly clear skies.

We must be averaging about 40C up here recently, humidity high. Everybody is ready for a good downpour.

In my little corner there have been plenty of dark skies and distant rumblings, but barely a drop of water.

It's been this way at this time of year for as long as I can remember, yes it does rain in April, but not enough to fill a bucket.

Reminds me of people out West. Every year it's the same bloody thing.

"Geez, it's so nice out, I wonder if we're even going to have snow this Christmas?"

A few months later in April / May.

"Can't believe how cold it is! Where the hell is spring / summer?"

Geez guys, it's only been about 15 years since the seasons shifted, because it's been the exact same every year now. You'd think they'd finally catch on, and realize seasons got moved up a couple months.

Not a drop in Bangkok....and last years disgustingly hot and long hot season didn't break until well into June/July....

If the counter to that is another cool season as delicious as the one just passed was, I'll not be too mithered....

Just outside of Bangkok where the Farm is ... we've had two good storms this past month.

Thankfully so because the one lone low water pressure pipe for the village well wasn't working and we had almost run out of non-potable water.

The first strom cleaned the roof ... the second, a few days latter filled the barrels we had out under the gutters ... biggrin.png

Sadly, also made ponds around the joint ... now have a plague of mosquitoes ... dry.png

It is not like any of you guys like standing in the rain, and soaking your shoes in big puddles...

I bet 90 percent of you are sipping cold beer in an aircon pub.

COUGH

At the Farm, the closest thing we have to an Air-Con is when we open the fridge door ... w00t.gif

OH ... when it rains ... you can't wear shoes, the mud is too thick ... 'tis barefoot round these parts.

• Like 1

Been hot days around here but for the last month or so, but we've had overcast/clouding and wind just about every afternoon and about 5 or 6 rain and thunderstorms, a few tapering into hour long, steady showers. Cools things right down, very nice. I don't remember it like this last year, just remember 2 months hotter than Hades.

Call me crazy but wouldn't providing the location be more useful than saying, "Rained here last night" or "at the farm"?

The only location provided yet is some place called Hades and I can't find that anywhere on Google Maps ;-(

Edited by ClutchClark

Still bone dry and baking hot in Eastern BKK, could really use a downpour if a repeat of last year's vile and drawn out hot season is to be avoided.....

Clouded over yesterday evening and looked like it was possibly going to rain but nothing happened.

It is not like any of you guys like standing in the rain, and soaking your shoes in big puddles...

I bet 90 percent of you are sipping cold beer in an aircon pub.

My local is an open sided wooden Thai style affair. Heavenly when the rain pours down with great views of the action

"Am I missing something? Do guide books or something say otherwise?"

It must be me that's missing something...I didn't hear anybody complain about the rain....the opposite in fact...all the comments were about how hot it is....I thought were were having a drought?

Am in Pattaya, Jomtien, Bang Saray area.

Call me crazy but wouldn't providing the location be more useful than saying, "Rained here last night" or "at the farm"?

The only location provided yet is some place called Hades and I can't find that anywhere on Google Maps ;-(

I'm under the third cloud from the right, not far from Nakhon Ratchasima.

SEch2.jpg