Local boats ignore teens and leave them to drown in Chao Phraya River

webfact

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it difficult even to imagine this happening where I am from.

I would say the same for Thailand, if it weren't common knowledge that this is part of the culture.

What I can't figure out is why this is part of the culture.

RIP to the boys, and condolences to their families. Don't know if this is true, but I was told that in the Thai Buddhist tradition that if you save someone's life, they will be indebted to you for the rest of their lives,- and that is too big a burden to give them. But there maybe other explanations.

I think in any other country in the world if somebody saw children in need of help they would instantly offer assistance,

you sure?

China is not quite fair play as a reference for comparison purposes......

In all fairness, maybe some of those people thought the kid was asleep, however if that was the case they should have woke the kid up and moved it to a safer place to sleep admittedly. However in China people have been successfully sued for the deaths of people when they were trying to help, so now people are afraid to try and help as they don't want to be sued. Let's look at all the info. before we condemn people. If you saw someone run over and usually would help, but in the news was a story of someone who was told by the courts to pay 10 million baht compensation to the family of the dead when they never caused the accident in the first place and were trying to help - wouldn't you think twice too....? You may say no, but... Yes it is nasty and it is wrong but that is reality sadly..

I know my Thai wife was never taught to swim and I doubt the majority of Thais could be considered as strong swimmers. Most that I see at the beach just flap around in the shallows. Diving into a river with a current and then dragging another person to safety requires a sound swimming technique and strength. I can only think that the onlookers would have met the certain same fate had they gone to help. I do have an issue with someone who films the whole incident rather than making a whole-hearted effort to raise an alarm or find some kind of floating object that could assist. I don't believe the people in the boats knew what was happening.

• Like 1

It's possible they thought they were just playing and likely see a lot of kids doing so. Perhaps more a case of tunnel vision than malice (no mindfulness outside immediate environment); however, would we have seen the same thing 20, or even 10, years ago?

Sad.

This seems to be the attitude not only in Thailand but in many places. People are not very concerned about others and their troubles. Not rite at all..Karma comes back to people very fast in Thailand I have noticed. Good or Bad....

Exactly as you say it.

Has happened in Mainland China many times recently. Some of it making world news.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/10/24/chinas-bystander-problem-another-death-after-crowd-ignores-woman-in-peril/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/chinese-outraged-after-bystanders-ignore-child-hit-twice-by-car-1.998363

So, the boats did nothing, and the person filming did nothing. Great to see we are living in such a caring society now. Sad.

You just don't understand Thainess because you are not Thai.

I know you are joking, but if that is indeed "Thainess" in action, then it's nothing to be proud of.

Where's the basic humanity ... the helping a fellow human in their time of dire need ... or does it cost too much now?

It has been explained as fundamental in the Buddhist philosophy that when you interfere in the course of events unfolding before your eyes you then assume full responsibility for any outcome.

So, the boats did nothing, and the person filming did nothing. Great to see we are living in such a caring society now. Sad.

I know you are joking, but if that is indeed "Thainess" in action, then it's nothing to be proud of.

Where's the basic humanity ... the helping a fellow human in their time of dire need ... or does it cost too much now?

It has been explained as fundamental in the Buddhist philosophy that when you interfere in the course of events unfolding before your eyes you then assume full responsibility for any outcome.

Indeed. And in the 3 instances since I've been here that I did interfere, I was more than happy to accept responsibility for my actions. At least there's now 3 families that didn't have to go through the heartbreak of losing a child.

• Like 1

I have seen the video in TV news yesterday.

To watch the film I guessed these 2 boatmen just thought the young guys are only playing. But if the survivor told he shouted for help, I can't find the words ...

Does any-one think that like me these daily aggressive, under zero IQ Thai soap movies spoil the young generations? Just yesterday I have seen around 10 minutes in TV7, something BST soap IN RUSSIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with Thai "actors" and they shouted, fought, bit down people, used guns, and ONLY during 10 minutes.

Thai families watch this idiocy day by day, and the small children too. What can we wait for them when they are bigger? Yes, street fighter school monkeys and young murderers, abuser. Disaster.

No worries, mate, those kids and families know the soaps couldn't possibly be a reflection of reality because there is no group of ten assaulting a single person....no Thai would ever fight one on one like often shown in those fantasy soaps.

how is saving someone interfering?

Indeed. And in the 3 instances since I've been here that I did interfere, I was more than happy to accept responsibility for my actions. At least there's now 3 families that didn't have to go through the heartbreak of losing a child.

It is possible that they might think you are being presumptuous about the heartbreak, especially if you saved girls.

It is possible that they might think you are being presumptuous about the heartbreak, especially if you saved girls.

Wow, I thought I was cynical but you take the biscuit for that one.

I don't feel at all presumptuous based on the reaction of the parents that I saw. It didn't matter whether it was a boy or a girl, it was their child they nearly lost. The reactions I saw were those of "a parent".

There is a lot of unanswered question in this case, first of all it is illigal to swin in that part of the Chao Praya river, but the drug addicts keep come there and are now left for them selves, Second there are no scream for help from the camera boy or the swimmers. You actually here them make fun and joke around, so no alarm for the boat owers. But THere might be more

So what the hell are you guys going to do about... just bash that the Thais did nothing?!

Sitting behind your monitors and typing away bashing feels good doesn't it?

Go and turn the world around, if you think you're so smart.

Sadly this is a signal to just how selfish and self centered most Thai people have now become.

It isn't mine it doesn't affect me I'll ignore it.

My heart goes out to those lost teens who were someones children, a brother ,cousin, nephew etc

Indeed I wish a pox upon those who ignored those teens hopeless plight.

It's not just Thailand. My elderly mother recently fell over on the street on the Gold Coast. Cut her face and put her tooth through her lip. Blood everywhere. Not one person bothered to stop and help.

I hope these guys in the boats are named and shamed in public. RIP to the two guys who just wanted to cool down. My condolences to their families.

• Like 2

The Thai bashing continues...

The two boys jumped into the river (risking their own lives) to HELP their friends. I bet most of you would only have dialed 911 on your phones and nothing more. Shame on you!

And wait for the Thai police to do exactly what? I think most folks here will jump in the river too, to save their friends or loved ones. It's not the first time this has happened.

on the other newspaper, it says the bib interviewed them (boat drivers) and they said they thought the kids were just playing, they see kids everyday in the river....

I want to believe this version of the events.....I saw the video this morning on the news. Those kids were very close to shore and around populated areas..and those boats engines are very noisy..., Probably the filmmaker was not aware of the drama neither, because one of them was swimming back and not helping the others. ....Confusing situation....

Whilst all the anti-Thai people on the forum are having their rather cheap and thoughtless sixpenceworth, ponder the following if you would:

1. Did the people in the boat realise the kids were drowning or did they think it was just horse play?

2. How many uploads have their been on You Tube of people (and children) clearly in distress and only one (or none) in a hundred passers bye have come to their aid.

It ain't only Thailand folks - you might want to engage brain before keyboard and have just a little think.bah.gif

• Like 1

I find it difficult even to imagine this happening where I am from.

I would say the same for Thailand, if it weren't common knowledge that this is part of the culture.

What I can't figure out is why this is part of the culture.

I wish all the worst to the scum who did not help those kids.

However "...common knowledge that this is part of the Thai culture..." When you say "common knowledge" this would include me- what I believe to be true about Thais after fifteen years here. Speak for your own wretched self when you wish to spout your rotten capricious trash. It is "common knowledge" that there is a class of person- such as yourself, apparently- that thrives on tragic news such as this because you get off on passing out sanctimoneous judgement on others.

If the boat drivers truly did not beliee that these kids wee in trouble then it was a tragic accident. Though I figure an experienced boatman could tell whether someone was horsing around if only because a few of them have been in the river themselves. Either way extremely sad day for both their families.