Top Gear producer admits Jeremy Clarkson's 'slope' remark WAS joke about Asian man

webfact

Desperate old man looking for a bit more publicity...

Here's who's desperate for publicity, 'Indian-born actress Somi Guha instructed lawyers to make a formal complaint'. Does she identify herself as a slope or did she decide to get offended for someone else as a proxy? I didn't even know there were any 'slopes' in India. US Marines call themselves 'jar heads'. Hell, you can even call them jar heads to their face and you don't have to be one; They don't get offended. I have been called 'cracker' and it hardly registered. It's not like the man insulted someone to their face, on purpose. Some people just like to take offense. This Politically Correct society is always looking for a 'gotcha' moment. Sad.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's who's desperate for publicity, 'Indian-born actress Somi Guha instructed lawyers to make a formal complaint'. Does she identify herself as a slope or did she decide to get offended for someone else as a proxy? I didn't even know there were any 'slopes' in India. US Marines call themselves 'jar heads'. Hell, you can even call them jar heads to their face and you don't have to be one; They don't get offended. I have been called 'cracker' and it hardly registered. It's not like the man insulted someone to their face, on purpose. Some people just like to take offense. This Politically Correct society is always looking for a 'gotcha' moment. Sad.

If he's so rich and so famous why does he have to carry on coming out with these dreary predictable 'controversial' remarks? And don't tell me it's because they're his 'original' thoughts. If you'd read his newspaper columns over the past twenty years you'd have seen his 'opinions' twist and turn to suit the audience he's addressing. He's playing you for mugs laugh.pngclap2.gif

What JC said was a racist comment, whether it was made in jest or hate, it is still derogatory and unacceptable. There are many ways of expressing dislike or humour, there is no call for using racist terms. The words we use do matter, to think otherwise is to be in denial about racism and the harm it does.

Bluespunk, are you a Smurf ??? just wondering.
No you weren't. What you were trying to do is belittle me because you can't accept my point. Lazy and kind of sad really. Edited by Bluespunk

If he's so rich and so famous why does he have to carry on coming out with these dreary predictable 'controversial' remarks? And don't tell me it's because they're his 'original' thoughts. If you'd read his newspaper columns over the past twenty years you'd have seen his 'opinions' twist and turn to suit the audience he's addressing. He's playing you for mugs laugh.pngclap2.gif

I've never seen his show. I have only seen the clip where he says, 'slope'. I don't know that he is rich, though it is unlikely he is not. He is certainly famous for all the responses this thread has I have at least heard of his show. I not telling you he has original thoughts; in fact, I'm not telling you anything. Apparently you clicked on the wrong person to respond to.

It seem to me that, for someone who has such a low opinion of him that you have read his newspaper columns for twenty years but he's playing me for a mug? You really need to get out more. Why do you have yourself so wrapped up in this man? Really, he's not that important in the whole scheme of things.

What JC said was a racist comment, whether it was made in jest or hate, it is still derogatory and unacceptable. There are many ways of expressing dislike or humour, there is no call for using racist terms. The words we use do matter, to think otherwise is to be in denial about racism and the harm it does.

No you weren't. What you were trying to do is belittle me because you can't accept my point. Lazy and kind of sad really.

Not at all. Just find your avatar name funny. Of course I know spunk means courage as well as something else. I respect your right to view humour based on racial stereotyping as derogatory and unacceptale, but I do not. We British, make jokes about anything and everything, including ourselves, our history and our culture. Nothing is off limits. A few comedian greats you will no doubt despise: Bernard Manning, Chubby Brown, Frankie Boyle, Benny Hill, Dave Allen, Les Dawson, Jim Davison. All, very controversial, but at least they have/had the right to poke fun at life as they saw fit. What none of those people did was direct security services, armed forces or other government agencies to go out and infiltrate, oppress, invade or kill anyone in the name of a civilised democracy. There, that took a bit of time and thought.

No you weren't. What you were trying to do is belittle me because you can't accept my point. Lazy and kind of sad really.

Not at all. Just find your avatar name funny. Of course I know spunk means courage as well as something else. I respect your right to view humour based on racial stereotyping as derogatory and unacceptale, but I do not. We British, make jokes about anything and everything, including ourselves, our history and our culture. Nothing is off limits. A few comedian greats you will no doubt despise: Bernard Manning, Chubby Brown, Frankie Boyle, Benny Hill, Dave Allen, Les Dawson, Jim Davison. All, very controversial, but at least they have/had the right to poke fun at life as they saw fit. What none of those people did was direct security services, armed forces or other government agencies to go out and infiltrate, oppress, invade or kill anyone in the name of a civilised democracy. There, that took a bit of time and thought.

For a start the significant pause is after the s. You may see what you said as being humourus, I don't. Just as I found the humour of some of those you mention to be bigoted and played upon peoples prejudices and by so reinforcing them [manning, brown, davison spent their whole career doing this]. They may have thought they were poking fun at life, but they weren't. They were reflecting it's darker side, echoing the fears of those who did not like change or anyone who was different, through prejudice.

True they may not have directed violence and all those other things you mention, however they did create a sense of 'well, they're not the same as us are they, we're better than them' through their alleged humour. This allowed those who did what you say to get away with it.

Dave Allen I will agree did poke fun at life, often in an intelligent and inwardly mocking, self depreciating manner, but then again, he was Irish, not British.

Edited by Bluespunk

For a start the significant pause is after the s. You may see what you said as being humourus, I don't. Just as I found the humour of some of those you mention to be bigoted and played upon peoples prejudices and by so reinforcing them [manning, brown, davison spent their whole career doing this]. They may have thought they were poking fun at life, but they weren't. They were reflecting it's darker side, echoing the fears of those who did not like change or anyone who was different, through prejudice.

True they may not have directed violence and all those other things you mention, however they did create a sense of 'well, they're not the same as us are they, we're better than them' through their alleged humour. This allowed those who did what you say to get away with it.

Dave Allen I will agree did poke fun at life, often in an intelligent and inwardly mocking, self depreciating manner, but then again, he was Irish, not British.

OK, I threw Dave Allen in there knowing he was Irish, but his shows were aired on British TV. Best remembered for mocking his own and others religion of course. Other great comedians were/are Richard Prior and Eddie Murphy. I have recently been watching episodes of Love Thy Neighbour. Really funny and mocks prejudice and ignorance. I compare Clarkson's humour to that of the silly Frankie Howerd, Carry On, Dirty Postcard stuff. Not to everyones taste, but certainly not worth getting all hot and bothered about. As long as it is not vicious, spiteful, malicious and focused at a particular person or defenceless organisation, then I see only a bit of clever, harmless observation, fun and banter.

I think some people are arguing from a point of desperate ignorance both of the meaning and origins of PC - they actually use it themselves but don't realise.

....and racism; they simply don't know what it is or how it works.

Coming to a discussion in this state may be "bliss" but it really contributes nothing of value except a boring litany of gainsaying based on.......nothing.

Edited by wilcopops

"If the N word is so offensive, why do they call each other the N word then"

You'd have to ask them that. My guess it's because they can it's their choice it is not being used as a slur by white people.

"....and there another PC term I hate African American" - ok, you're entitled to your opinion. It's their preference to be called this. By the way, do you refer to people here as Siamese?

"make your mind up" - about what?

If a term is N word is racist, its racist irrespective of who ever is using it as if we are discriminating who can use the word is being racist in itself

QED

OK, I threw Dave Allen in there knowing he was Irish, but his shows were aired on British TV. Best remembered for mocking his own and others religion of course. Other great comedians were/are Richard Prior and Eddie Murphy. I have recently been watching episodes of Love Thy Neighbour. Really funny and mocks prejudice and ignorance. I compare Clarkson's humour to that of the silly Frankie Howerd, Carry On, Dirty Postcard stuff. Not to everyones taste, but certainly not worth getting all hot and bothered about. As long as it is not vicious, spiteful, malicious and focused at a particular person or defenceless organisation, then I see only a bit of clever, harmless observation, fun and banter.

And that's where we differ. I don't see it as clever and certainly not harmless. Like most of JC's jibes this comment was lazy and predictable, he doesn't care if he's racist or spiteful as long as he looks clever and is putting others down.

Edited by Bluespunk

And that's where we differ. I don't see it as clever and certainly not harmless. Like most of JC's jibes this comment was lazy and predictable, he doesn't care if he's racist or spiteful as long as he looks clever and is putting others down.

Then we agree to disagree. I respect your viewpoint and your sincere beliefs.

What I do like about Clarkson is his readiness to laugh at his own stupidity. My favourite is where the 3 numpties are acting as chauffers to a wedding, where they are inappropiately dressed, so Clarkson decides to mask his trademark ill fitting jeans with black shiny masking tape to make a set of dress trousers. Priceless and if that is not funny then I don't know what is.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I never heard that term being used by anyone. So the silly Indian chick is to blame for it being in the public eye.

Jeremy should sue her.

I thought a slope was a curve or side of a mountain. Nobody in the USA uses that term unless skiing.

As Briton, I can also say I have never heard it used.

As a Briton I am sure many things fall beyond your ken.

I never heard that term being used by anyone. So the silly Indian chick is to blame for it being in the public eye.

Jeremy should sue her.

I thought a slope was a curve or side of a mountain. Nobody in the USA uses that term unless skiing.

Och aye...derogatory and rascist, (about British people) but also funny. Edited by watso63

Jeremy should sue her.

Och aye...derogatory and rascist, (about British people) but also funny.

He said "Briton"...not British there is often a difference....apart from one being a non and the other an adjective............so I'd say the meaning is unclear. Clarkson was not. BTW - racism isn't that simple......which is why racists are often very simple.

Edited by wilcopops

I suspect most of the anti-PC crowd here are either Brits or Aussies and therefor have never been subjected to slavery, persecution or annihilation simply because of their race. There is a world of difference between being called a pom or a mick or a jock and being called a slope or a gook or a kike.

Those that have seen "12 Years A Slave" cannot leave the movie theater without a new understanding how offensive "the N word" is to African Americans no matter how long ago the term was coined. The same is true of many other racial slurs as opposed to what are now relatively harmless nicknames even though they were originally designed to be more derogatory.

If the N word is so offensive, why do they call each other the N word then.....and there another PC term I hate African American, make your mind up

I think this peter needs to do 2 things....find out what racism is and find out what PC really is.

I understand more about racism dear boy than you will ever know

QED - an allegation made without any basis whatsoever. It is based on a racist's favourite premise - prejudice.

Edited by wilcopops

You'd have to ask them that. My guess it's because they can it's their choice it is not being used as a slur by white people.

"....and there another PC term I hate African American" - ok, you're entitled to your opinion. It's their preference to be called this. By the way, do you refer to people here as Siamese?

If a term is N word is racist, its racist irrespective of who ever is using it as if we are discriminating who can use the word is being racist in itself

You are missing the point. The word is racist when used by white people as a racist slur. Blacks (this word ok with you?) do not use it as a slur on each other and use it one black to another.

Sure, most people in the world tend to dislike or look down on people from certain other parts of the world. Personally, I don't have a great liking for Russians (at least the majority of the ones who come here) or Australian bogans in wifebeaters but I don't go around using racial slurs to describe them - certainly not out loud!

Jeremy should sue her.

He said "Briton"...not British there is a difference.

I infer, rightly or wrongly that he is of Celtish descent, so will not accept being called a Briton. You see it is very hard for a British citizen to prove he/she is of a certain race. Centuries of global conflict, invasions from overseas enemies, poorly maintained ancestral recording, recent influx of immigrants have produced a rather healthy well balanced popultion.

But in general we were traditionally thought of distinctly Anglo Saxon or Celt. Invasions by the Vikings, Normans and to some extent the Romans altered this somewhat. The Northern Celts (Scottish) are fiercely proud of their heritage and can honestly say that they fought back the might of the Roman Empire. My own surname means that I am a descendant of a Celtic warrior chieftan. My mother is from Eire (Ireland). I also know of a bit of Geordie and Yorkshire (my country of choice) thrown in. So what is my race? Heinz 57!

I have no beef with anyone in terms of their "race" but I love freedom of speech and for all its faults any foreigner whilst visiting the UK has a right to join in any peaceful protest without fear of punishment, arrest or deportation. (As long as a bully boy copper doesn't decide to "do you over")

I infer, rightly or wrongly that he is of Celtish descent, so will not accept being called a Briton. You see it is very hard for a British citizen to prove he/she is of a certain race. Centuries of global conflict, invasions from overseas enemies, poorly maintained ancestral recording, recent influx of immigrants have produced a rather healthy well balanced popultion.

But in general we were traditionally thought of distinctly Anglo Saxon or Celt. Invasions by the Vikings, Normans and to some extent the Romans altered this somewhat. The Northern Celts (Scottish) are fiercely proud of their heritage and can honestly say that they fought back the might of the Roman Empire. My own surname means that I am a descendant of a Celtic warrior chieftan. My mother is from Eire (Ireland). I also know of a bit of Geordie and Yorkshire (my country of choice) thrown in. So what is my race? Heinz 57!

I have no beef with anyone in terms of their "race" but I love freedom of speech and for all its faults any foreigner whilst visiting the UK has a right to join in any peaceful protest without fear of punishment, arrest or deportation. (As long as a bully boy copper doesn't decide to "do you over")

oh dear!...your history of the British Isles is completely wrong. Get your facts right - just another example of the massive ignorance that surrounds some of the opinions expressed on this thread.

BTW - it also appears you aren't familiar with DNA testing or genetics?

BTW 2 - the Britons WERE Celts

Edited by wilcopops

Jeremy should sue her.

oh dear!...your history of the British Isles is completely wrong. Get your facts right - just another example of the massive ignorance that surrounds some of the opinions expressed on this thread.

You are missing the point. The word is racist when used by white people as a racist slur. Blacks (this word ok with you?) do not use it as a slur on each other and use it one black to another.

Sure, most people in the world tend to dislike or look down on people from certain other parts of the world. Personally, I don't have a great liking for Russians (at least the majority of the ones who come here) or Australian bogans in wifebeaters but I don't go around using racial slurs to describe them - certainly not out loud!

So only white people can be racist then is that what your saying ?.....inferring that is racist as well

So what your saying is an Indian guy or even a Thai guy can call a black guy a N and its ok ? Cos they ain't white

So only white people can be racist then is that what your saying ?.....inferring that is racist as well

So what your saying is an Indian guy or even a Thai guy can call a black guy a N and its ok ? Cos they ain't white

This is a classic racist question which basically shows a complete lack of understanding about how racism works. The ridiculous thing is it seems the poster has no idea how cliche'd and lame this postulation is.

This is a classic racist question which basically shows a complete lack of understanding about how racism works. The ridiculous thing is it seems the poster has no idea how cliche'd and lame this postulation is.

Answer the question posed then, dear boy....your remarks on this subject are like the remarks from the red faithful on TV all they can ever come up with is "Suthep is a fascist you know"

As I have stated many times...call me racist if you wish....I don't really care

Jeremy should sue her.

Oh dear...why am I wrong? I know I should have said Celtic, not Celtish. Foreigners not able to join peaceful protest?

As for DNA and genetics? I have never been tested, have you? I have admitted to not knowing what "race" I "belong" to even though my passport says that I am British. My appraisal of the history is quite accurate without delving into too much detail. You obviously know better, so please enlighten everybody.

The point was to help someone understand the difference between a Briton (British Person) and someone from the British Isles that considers themselves as a non-Briton. You may or may not (but I assume you do know because of your superior intellect) that the Scottish people have the right to vote in a referendum later this year to either remain as part of the UK or to become a self governing independant nation once more.

Jeremy should sue her.

Oh dear...why am I wrong? I know I should have said Celtic, not Celtish. Foreigners not able to join peaceful protest?

As for DNA and genetics? I have never been tested, have you? I have admitted to not knowing what "race" I "belong" to even though my passport says that I am British. My appraisal of the history is quite accurate without delving into too much detail. You obviously know better, so please enlighten everybody.

The point was to help someone understand the difference between a Briton (British Person) and someone from the British Isles that considers themselves as a non-Briton. You may or may not (but I assume you do know because of your superior intellect) that the Scottish people have the right to vote in a referendum later this year to either remain as part of the UK or to become a self governing independant nation once more.

British people are descended mainly from the varied ethnic stocks that settled in Great Britain before the eleventh century. Prehistoric, Celtic, Roman, and Norse influences were blended in Britain under the Normans, descended from Scandinavian settlers in northern France.[35]Conquest and union facilitated migration, cultural and linguistic exchange, and intermarriage between the peoples of England, Scotland and Wales during the Middle Ages, Early Modern period and beyond.[36][37] Since 1922, there has been immigration to the United Kingdom by people from what is now the Republic of Ireland, the Commonwealth, mainland Europe and elsewhere; they and their descendants are mostly British citizens with some assuming a British, dual or hyphenated identity.[38]

The British are a diverse, multi-national[39][40] and multicultural society, with "strong regional accents, expressions and identities".[41][42] The social structure of the United Kingdom has changed radically since the nineteenth century, with the decline in religious observance, enlargement of themiddle class, and increased ethnic diversity. The population of the UK stands at around 62.5 million,[2] with a British diaspora of around 140 millio

I don't think my original appraisal was that far off considering I wrote it from memory. Mr/Mrs/Ms wilcopops

Edited by watso63

When people talk about their ancestors there is an interesting mathematical fact to be considered. Taking Britain as an example by the time you gone back through the generations over several hundred years you would already have amassed more ancestors than the entire population of the country so it is possible that almost anyone who is indigenous to the country could be related to anyone else.

So most of us older Brits are probably anglo saxon celtic norse frenchies etc. if we did but know it. smile.png

When people talk about their ancestors there is an interesting mathematical fact to be considered. Taking Britain as an example by the time you gone back through the generations over several hundred years you would already have amassed more ancestors than the entire population of the country so it is possible that almost anyone who is indigenous to the country could be related to anyone else.

So most of us older Brits are probably anglo saxon celtic norse frenchies etc. if we did but know it. smile.png

Frenchie......speak for yourself....I am not related to a garlic/cheese eating surrender monkey

Frenchie......speak for yourself....I am not related to a garlic/cheese eating surrender monkey

Ha ha ha.....it seems you are really Frenchist! if not rascist.....now that is real banter! Are you really that sure of your anscestry? 555

Ha ha ha.....it seems you are really Frenchist! if not rascist.....now that is real banter! Are you really that sure of your anscestry? 555

After that comment, I am now in fear of my life from "wilcopop's" and his band of PC men in black

After that comment, I am now in fear of my life from "wilcopop's" and his band of PC men in black

I believe all men are created equal in the eyes of God....just don't you ever call me French...555 Nearly wetting my pants here 555555555

During the Vietnam war ,the "slopes" dinks and gooks and viets,japs.... were all aiming at us soldiers ,not for laughing but to kill them .( and visa versa)

Surely the slopes had some other names for us soldiers,maybe called them "falang"?

Was this racism? Not at all ,us soldiers called german soldiers "jerry",and there was no race difference at all.

So dont com crying about racism all the time !

In fact racism is a very rare fenomen ,were you really hate another race for whatever stupid reason .

99% of us wont mint to sleep with a beautiful vietnamese ,congolese,birmese,thai........so 99% is not racist.(nor were us soldiers during the war!)

So put Jeremy Clarkson in bed with some other race ladies and let him prove he is not a racist !

And let them all shut up and ban the word "racism" ,hitler is long gone and the few that think like him are hard to find .coffee1.gif

Ummm, the Vietnam war is long over. From the time one tribe threw rocks at another, people at war have come up with derogatory terms for the enemy as part of the process of dehumanising them (easier to kill a gook than a person). But I don't think my Japanese and German friends would like be called nips or krauts today, even if those words only technically refer to a country and cabbage respectively.

My understanding was that 'slope' was a reference to Asian's eyes... hard to spin that as not being offensive. I wonder how many people coming to Clarkson's defence here are among those who are outraged by the word, farang, which just comes from the word for 'Frank' (Western European, French)....

So when it is offensive is it racism ?

Clarkson could be offensive ,ok,not nice ,but this has nothing to do with racism ,that's my point .

The word "racism" became an easy weapon in the hands of loosers,that's my point.