Top Gear producer admits Jeremy Clarkson's 'slope' remark WAS joke about Asian man

webfact

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never heard that term being used by anyone. So the silly Indian chick is to blame for it being in the public eye.

Jeremy should sue her.

I thought a slope was a curve or side of a mountain. Nobody in the USA uses that term unless skiing.

Not around in Vietnam in the 60's and 70's were you.It is a racist remark,but not used with venom by Clarkson.People of all races should be a bit more confident in their own skin.

And if you turn the sound up of the Top Gear Video you can hear the Asian muttering to himself "Gweilo" meaning foreign devils.

Problem is "Slope" is not a term used in the UK to describe Asians, it is a term used by Americans and Australians. We use a different term popularised by Prince Philip.

In the UK we used the term "Slope" to describe someone who avoids hard work. This comes from the Army term "Slope Arms" (Shoulder Arms) meaning that the soldier carries the weight of his rifle on his shoulder. So a soldier who slopes off does not carry his weight (rifle) and is avoiding work.

Oh, those "S" words! How about "shrugger", "shirker", "slouch" or "skulker"?

Clarkson should have used "slant" to be PC. Oops, oh well ...

Signed: Creepy-ass Cracka

SO WHAT !!! Did not take any Rice out of the Asian Gentleman's bowl. People are too thin skinned these days and you can not re-write history, Good or Bad !!Move on, Jerry

Think the thai government had already stolen all the rice before this episode was made

Clarkson is a total prat.

He's the show-off, smart arse, gobby, bullying schoolkid who never grew up.

Can just imagine him swaggering around the schoolyard with a couple of henchmen in tow picking on any kid who wasn't 'in' with his gang.

Like all bullies he needs to be sorted.

During the Vietnam war ,the "slopes" dinks and gooks and viets,japs.... were all aiming at us soldiers ,not for laughing but to kill them .( and visa versa)

Surely the slopes had some other names for us soldiers,maybe called them "falang"?

Was this racism? Not at all ,us soldiers called german soldiers "jerry",and there was no race difference at all.

So dont com crying about racism all the time !

In fact racism is a very rare fenomen ,were you really hate another race for whatever stupid reason .

99% of us wont mint to sleep with a beautiful vietnamese ,congolese,birmese,thai........so 99% is not racist.(nor were us soldiers during the war!)

So put Jeremy Clarkson in bed with some other race ladies and let him prove he is not a racist !

And let them all shut up and ban the word "racism" ,hitler is long gone and the few that think like him are hard to find .coffee1.gif

You are way wrong.Screwing a person of another race,certainly doesnt get you off the hook as a racist.You should sit in bars in farang ghettos and listen for a while.As far as Germans are concerned,what about Hun,Kraut,Boxhead,rekon thats not racist?Big apologies to any Germans reading this,but this bloke must be told that racism is alive and well.

With all this PC stuff, I am a bit worried. Yesterday I told a young Thai kid who was being being very rude that he was on a slippery slope? I hope he does not think I was refering to him having a full body massage? Never heard of that expression in my life and I am not that young either.

Yes that desperate old man. Uses carefully contrived 'controversial' remarks that appeal to those who think that insulting others is a replacement for humour.

In the UK insulting others is humour. Guy walks into the pub, sees his mate and says " Where the did you get that haircut?"

If you don't understand the humour don't watch the shows. Oh wait. You haven't. You are simply jumping on the media bandwagon.

Maybe Clarkson could issue a non-apology. That would satisfy everyone.

Edited by VocalNeal

Can just imagine him swaggering around the schoolyard with a couple of henchmen in tow picking on any kid who wasn't 'in' with his gang.

Oh dear a hard man from EastEnders...... "He needs to be sorted"

You do realise how low class this sort of phrase makes you sound....?

I watched Apocalypse Now once again the other week, why did no one of Asian decent make a fuss of that movie? Every other word is Gook and Slope, ah I love the smell of a casual racist comment with a bit of publicity for a struggling 'Indian' actress in the morning...

I never heard that term being used by anyone. So the silly Indian chick is to blame for it being in the public eye.

Jeremy should sue her.

I thought a slope was a curve or side of a mountain. Nobody in the USA uses

that term unless skiing.

you shld change your Id to 'I am so sh*t' Edited by shiok

The ONLY Regret that Clakson has, is that his stupid offensive remark Back-fired on him.

"Sorry" no, not because he offended millions of people who will no longer watch his Crap show.

"Sorry" yes, because it will hurt his ratings and with any luck will see the BBC SACK him.

Hope it costs him MILLIONS both in viewers and cash.

During the Vietnam war ,the "slopes" dinks and gooks and viets,japs.... were all aiming at us soldiers ,not for laughing but to kill them .( and visa versa)

Surely the slopes had some other names for us soldiers,maybe called them "falang"?

Was this racism? Not at all ,us soldiers called german soldiers "jerry",and there was no race difference at all.

So dont com crying about racism all the time !

In fact racism is a very rare fenomen ,were you really hate another race for whatever stupid reason .

99% of us wont mint to sleep with a beautiful vietnamese ,congolese,birmese,thai........so 99% is not racist.(nor were us soldiers during the war!)

So put Jeremy Clarkson in bed with some other race ladies and let him prove he is not a racist !

And let them all shut up and ban the word "racism" ,hitler is long gone and the few that think like him are hard to find .coffee1.gif

You are way wrong.Screwing a person of another race,certainly doesnt get you off the hook as a racist.You should sit in bars in farang ghettos and listen for a while.As far as Germans are concerned,what about Hun,Kraut,Boxhead,rekon thats not racist?Big apologies to any Germans reading this,but this bloke must be told that racism is alive and well.

That is not racism,if i call you names because i dont like you ,that is not racism .

You dont have to apologize to Germans ,because they are not offended by childish names ,they dont feel associated with those insults so why be offended?

I dont need to sit in farang ghettos,to know what BS language i will hear there,still this is only stupid language and not racism .

Racism was and still is in S Africa(for example)and done mostly by governments who use groups of people to exploit them .

So calling someone "Kraut" ......has nothing to do with racism.

Racism has become a handy tool to hide behind .Stop hiding.coffee1.gif

First of all there was a slope in the bridge they built, so he covered his ass. Second, even if he used "slope" referring to a Thai guy walking on the bridge at that moment , it was a joke! I am living in Thailand 15 years, locals call me "farang" all the time, should I go to the court? Even worse, people from I ndia, Pakistan etc.. Are referred to as " keak" should they go to court to? Pitty people are always looking for scandals instead of enjoying fantastic shows like "TOP GEAR"

Not Bloody likely! Get over it He's a funny talented man.

post-199465-0-34890200-1398312523_thumb.

Edited by jjock

Those who jump on the band wagon of Racism or want to make an issue out Jeremy's Clarkson comment, need to grow up and get a life.

Its pathetic when all the nobodies try and make the whole world politically correct.

Jeremy is an entertainment legend. As for Somi Guha, who the hell is she!!

I suppose that next, they will want to ban the movie "Tropic Thunder"

Edited by Philcoz

Why is and who decided that being called a racist was the worst thing you could be.?

I see the 'boy soldiers' and vicious Africans on tv daily.I see pakistani men who believe in 'honour killing yet go to Britain and sexually exploit vulnerable young girls.

I see a place called Zimbabwe that used to be the bread basket of Africa now in need of huge [endless[ quantities of AID.

Why should I be afraid to say that I do not want peole from these places living in my community ?

Neither would I want the folk depicted in Hogarth'sGin Lane .living in my community.

To become Civilized took the British nation ages .It cannot be done overnight by placing huge numbers of illiterate people amongst educated people.

Jeremy should sue her.

I thought a slope was a curve or side of a mountain. Nobody in the USA uses that term unless skiing.

Get your head out of the snow. The term "slope" is a derogatory racial slur for Asians. It was commonly used by American GIs duringthe Vietnam war to refer to Vietnamese. The fact that you have not heard it simply makes you uninformed.

Personally I'm not sensitive to derogatory racial remarks used as a joke.

Being politically correct all the time is great but difficult these days after thousands of years of slang vocab and hate.

I think there are a lot more important things to get riled up about so we should all learn to "chill" before we burst a blood vessel.

As an Irishman I am used to being called 'a Mick', 'a Paddy' and a variety of other expressions. I do not take offence and I wonder why other people from other countries would object to the rainbow of slang expressions describing specific nationalities. A Pom is an Englishman, a Jock a Scotsman, a Cloggy a Dutchman - these expressions are in regular use and do not, I believe, cause offence but are expressions of a humourous nature. It also seems that those that take most offence are non-white, perhaps some people should ditch the chip on their shoulder.

What really gets me in the reporting of this matter in the British press is the phrase "people of Asian descent". This was the phrase in the lawyer's formal complaint, and the media have repeated it verbatim without anybody realising how stupidly inaccurate it is. Invented in Vietnam during the American War, the term "slope" specifically refers to the characteristic features of the Vietnamese, and by later extension to all peoples of East and Southeast Asia with similar "sloping" eyes. To use the blanket term "Asian" is plain ignorant, showing how the British habitually have a lot of trouble with Asian geography.

As for the "insult", well it's just typical of the silly boys at Top Gear. The best response is ridicule, not litigation.

Edited by sprq

They sure did when I lived there, but not really derogatory - more like wop or Jew, not considered insulting by most people.

I used to wonder what it meant until I was on a bus in Vietnam and looked out the window and saw a bunch of peasants wearing sloped hats. I got up and yelled to my friend, "I finally know why they call them slopeheads!" Luckily, no one but us could speak English.

4039364743_a853e0d639.jpg

Disgusting racist. How do you know no one could speak English or understand? I thought it was because of the eyes.

What really gets me in the reporting of this matter in the British press is the phrase "people of Asian descent". This was the phrase in the lawyer's formal complaint, and the media have repeated it verbatim without anybody realising how stupidly inaccurate it is. Invented in Vietnam during the American War, the term "slope" specifically refers to the characteristic features of the Vietnamese, and by later extension to all peoples of East and Southeast Asia with similar "sloping" eyes. To use the blanket term "Asian" is plain ignorant, showing how the British habitually have a lot of trouble with Asian geography.

As for the "insult", well it's just a typical silly Clarksonism, par for his course. He can be funny, but he's mostly a dinosaur.

Actually, his initial tweet on this matter went something like "I'm not a racist - I'm having a drink now with a man who lives quite near Wales".

Clearly a derogatory remark about Welsh people. Being one, I'm going to sue the b'stard!

Political Correctness:

don't say this, don't do that...or you will be sued for millions and spend the rest of your life in the crapper.

It's a government tool to promote and generate insecure and unconfident members of society, who can easily be manipulated. People who are confident in their abilities and secure in themselves don't get insulted by some generic remark, only when the insult is personal will you get a reaction. I don't get all huffed when someone says all Americans are ignorant, or all Germans rude, because I know I am neither.

Desperate old man looking for a bit more publicity...

I think it was the Indian actress who was looking for publicity. Everyone knows who Clarkson, who had even heard of what's her name?

Top Gear is a lad's (and ladette's) programme, you pretty much know what you're going to get. For those who are easily offended there's daytime TV.

Don't use words like "everyone", you don't have the right to that! Speak for yourself and let the rest out of it, ok?

As for me, I never heard of the potato bag Clarkson, before his racist slur. Don't say he didn't know what he was saying, he and a lot of UK and for sure US people know that derogatory term, invented it seems by US guys in Vietnam.

Jeremy should sue her.

Get your head out of the snow. The term "slope" is a derogatory racial slur for Asians. It was commonly used by American GIs duringthe Vietnam war to refer to Vietnamese. The fact that you have not heard it simply makes you uninformed.

Correction: East Asians, including Southeast Asians. Prompted by the "sloping" eye form of those peoples, the term does not refer to South Asians or West Asians. Let's be specific and accurate, unlike the British lawyers on this case.