Police dig deeper for info on Chao Phraya drownings

webfact

Police dig deeper for info on Chao Phraya drownings
The Nation

30232096-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- As part of investigation into drowning of two youths in Bangkok's Chao Phraya River on Tuesday, the police say they will summon more eyewitnesses, including the person who took the video clip of the event, as well as the drivers of the two ferries that passed by.

A video clip of the young men's calls for help being ignored by the two ferries went viral and drew severe criticism. The deceased were identified as a 13-year-old boy and 20-year-old Sarin Saekua.

Bang Kho Laem superintendent Pol Colonel Sombat Kaenwichit said police was waiting for testimony from the parents and was looking for more witnesses.

Initially police wanted the two ferry drivers' action punished by a month in jail and/or Bt1,000 in fines as per the Criminal Code's Article 374 aimed at people who refuse to help others in danger, he said. However, he added, the police would investigate the case further and ensure justice for all sides.

An informed source said the deceased and friends often swam in the area and had reportedly pretended to drown several times before, hence others might have ignored their call for help this time too, thinking it was pretence.

The boy's father said his son could not swim well, and had survived a drowning accident five years ago. Sarin's mother, meanwhile, said she was angry that the passing by boats did not help. The boy's father agreed, but said he was in too much grief to blame anybody.

He also urged parents to keep an eye on their children and not let them go swimming on their own.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-24

related story:
Local boats ignore teens and leave them to drown in Chao Phraya River
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/720857-local-boats-ignore-teens-and-leave-them-to-drown-in-chao-phraya-river/

The grief stricken father called on parents to keep an eye on their children and not let them swim on their own but what did he do to stop his son son, who he described as a weak swimmer and survivor of a previous near drowning, from doing so ?

The other unfortunate deceased was 20 years old, hardly a child.

• Like 2

Extremely sad for the kids and the parents, however, if they have been "calling wolf" on a number of occasions - who are you going to blame - for me, the parents for not instilling some common sense into them and for not thrashing their ars_es for such stupidity.

Edited by Artisi

There is now a video showing the boats carefully avoiding the swimmers. These are longtail boats. If you have ever been in one, you know that they are very loud. It would be difficult to hear anyone screaming for help with that noise. Perhaps the two fellows in their respective boats did not realize the swimmers required help. Note too that the swimmers were not far from shore. It is not unreasonable to believe that the boat operators were unaware the swimmers were in distress.

Watch the video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snBS-9UHxZU

I agree, it's likely they didn't hear them calling out. When you look at the video, it doesn't even appear that the boat drivers are paying much attention other than making sure they didn't hit them as they approached.

What about the person that filmed this video? Check out the last frame of the video, you can see the shadows of what appears to be 3 people standing on the jetty watching! I find it hard to believe they didn't notice them drowning. No need to be a hero, but none of these 3 people tried to get help either. This concerns me more than blaming the boat operators.

Edited by nkahl6
  • Like 2

With the engines of the long tails running it is possible the boat operators could not hear the swimmers and

mistook any waiving or frantic gestures from anybody as just to make sure the swimmers were not hit.

I find it hard to believe the long-tail drivers wilfully let the swimmers drown. A tragic accident with mistakes

on everybody's part.

• Like 1

Here we go, every word , every sentence picked over by the Thai Visa FBI.

What this, what that ?? its obvious that both were in trouble, as boats are approaching 1 is already under the water and the other is frantically trying to stay a float.

What about the people on wharf ? Ever think they could not swim and they were in shock too as this all happened in a minute flat.

The real problem here is water safety in Thailand, they have one of the poorest swimming programs for children.

This repeats itself monthly around Thailand in pools, lakes and rivers. Thailand is a nation of poor swimmers per head of population.

Nothing will change till its taught to every child in junior school.

• Like 1

The grief stricken father called on parents to keep an eye on their children and not let them swim on their own but what did he do to stop his son son, who he described as a weak swimmer and survivor of a previous near drowning, from doing so ?

One thing that is needed in Thailand is a public service announcement on every tv station run multiple times each day and especially at night during the soaps, "do you know where your children are". They have been doing this in the US for many years. I don't know about all of Thailand but I can speak for the places I have lived and am living. Parents have no idea where their children are most of the time.

Edited by Pimay1
  • Like 1

From watching the video it seems like the boat drivers who arrive on the scene are already too late to realise what is happening, both of the boys are underwater just as the boats get close to them. They are also trying to avoid contacting the people in the water with the props of the boats.

I think who is more at fault are all the people from the peir who were watching but moreso the drivers of the boats that are alongside the pier watching the whole event unfold. They obviously knew that the boys were in trouble as they watched their friend swim out to try and rescue them but they did absolutely nothing to help out, you see one of the boats start up when the other two boats are coming to moor up. At the very least they could have taken one of their boats out to the boys or preferably jumped in to stop them from drowning like their friend was doing.

At the end of the day I don't think that anybody is too surprised by the behaviour of all involved, if you are then I guess you don't see much of the daily news from this country.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

To be honest with you the fact that the parents even let their own children swim in the Chao Phraya says it all really

Yes indeed, a kid died a couple of weeks back in a drainage ditch near out house in Khon Kaen. Lots of local kids swim in it, (it's disgusting) although looking at them most can't swim. I have explained to my boy the dangers and told him it's stupid beyond belief to swim in that muck. It's as much down to the parents as anyone else.

One thing that is needed in Thailand is a public service announcement on every tv station run multiple times each day and especially at night during the soaps, "do you know where your children are". They have been doing this in the US for many years. I don't know about all of Thailand but I can speak for the places I have lived and am living. Parents have no idea where their children are most of the time.

Dare I say it but how many are too concerned until something goes wrong ?

• Like 1

The video shows 2 Thai heroes, one who died trying to save the first victim. If you look at 56 seconds, when the camera zooms in, neither driver was even looking that way. I'm sure if they knew someone was drowning they would have done what any of us would do.

BUT if some-one can't swim well &lt;deleted&gt; looking for in Chaopraya ??? If can swim well also.

And as one father has told his son was rescued before from the same situation .... No comment.

I can't forget my first idea, that the boatmen didn't hear the help shouting, didn't recognize the life-threatening situation.

They find every time playing youths along the Chaopraya bank.

The long tail boat's old diesel engine with out any engine housing and with an extreme short exhaust is almost intolerable loud and the boatmen were listening to avoid to hit the player guys. This can be seen well in video.

Seriously, may be many mate will think other, but the ordinary Thais are willing to help each-other more then western people. If you walk open eyes will recognize it.

I have seen many times a scene of accidents and there every-one tries to help, and takes over risk around wrecks.

quote: " An informed source said the deceased and friends often swam in the area and had reportedly pretended to drown several times before..."

What a load of tosh!

How can you possibly know one way or the other? And yet, you're probably very sure you're right.

To be honest with you the fact that the parents even let their own children swim in the Chao Phraya says it all really

Of course it may be that they don't live in a condo with a pool. Some people don't you know whistling.gif