Human rights group condemns killing of Thai poet

webfact

SHOOTING
Human rights group condemns killing of Thai poet

BANGKOK: -- A human rights group on Thursday called for quick investigation into the killing of a Thai poet known for his support for the pro-government Red Shirt movement and criticism of the country's lese-majesty law.

An unidentified assailant shot dead Kamol Duangphasuk, 45, outside a Bangkok restaurant on Wednesday. Kamol was a supporter of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship, better known as the Red Shirts, and a critic of the lese-majesty law that makes defamation of the king, queen and heir apparent punishable by three to 15 years in prison.

"Kamol’s murder heightens the climate of fear felt by those who speak out against Thailand’s draconian lese-majeste law," said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch."The Thai authorities need to quickly investigate this murder and bring whoever is responsible to justice, wherever that investigationleads," Adams said in a statement issued in New York.

Kamol’s killing comes at a time of heightened political tensions, and unsolved attacks on prominent figures. On Monday, unknown assailants launched a grenade at the house of Narong Sahametapat, the Health Ministry’s permanent secretary and an outspoken critic of the current government. No one was injured.

Kamol supported the pro-government Red Shirts, who are often labelled as anti-monarchists, a charge their leaders deny. There has been surge in lese-majesty cases over the past nine years, as the monarchy has been dragged in to the political conflict between those who support and those who oppose fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, a populist politician who was ousted by a coup in2006.

"The brutal and outrageous killing of poet and Red Shirt activist Kamol can only worsen the already tense political situation inThailand," Adams said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-24

What about the human rights of the little children murdered in cold blood?

What about the human rights of people constitutionally and peacefully protesting who are slain?

What about the human rights of people who are not allowed a democracy because of a convicted criminal with a red terrorist tool to prevent it?

My wife listened to one of his so called poems on a red shirt rally stage this morning on youtube.... It was the same sort of political rant that Churapong, Jatts and Natt came out with calling for an armed struggle and to smite the anti-government protesters from the battlefield, declare war on the army and to burn away the elite.

It was vile and reprehensible.....

Just because he minces his words and claims it to be poetry doesn't mean he gets extra privileges.

You spout intimidation and incitement... you make yourself a target, he made himself a target and got his just deserts.

Also, while I am also against the lese majeste laws, I am not stupid enough to get on a stage and continually rant on about it in a country that has a complete over the top monarchical obsession.... That is just being plain reckless, and I would not be surprised if he has brought this on by his own stupidity.

No sympathy for idiots.

Shouldnt this guy Adams be calling for investigations into all of the attacks and killings instead of singling it to one UDD supporter? What about the kids killed from a grenade. Or the numerous deaths caused by Chalerms attack on the peaceful protesters which killed many.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This post is shameful because hateful and should be removed.

We cannot relativize or compare or justify deaths by previous deaths.

Chalerm could tell "I killed less than Abisith"

And Abisith could tell "Anyway, be happy, I killed less than Hitler".

Non sense.

Your reply to his post makes no sense.

Where is it hateful?? He was making a valid point about clear 'double standards'.

Also he is not justifying any killing.... Where does it say that?

Also who di Abhisit kill? Was he standing there with an M16??

This was a post about double standards.... not comparisons of what was worse... this or that?

Shouldnt this guy Adams be calling for investigations into all of the attacks and killings instead of singling it to one UDD supporter? What about the kids killed from a grenade. Or the numerous deaths caused by Chalerms attack on the peaceful protesters which killed many.

Non sense.

You read a lot more into that than I did. I don't see anything hateful or shameful here. Just pointing out that the death of a red poet is no more important than the death of many other people recently (or another way of disagreeing with you is that anti-government protestors are people too). Yes, a shooting or bombing is much different than death by natural causes, or a road fatalities. And yes, human rights groups are more concerned with political killings than with domestic arguments.

really have to wonder at the mental ability of these people, calling for the fast tracking of finding a red poets killer while ignoring the deaths of children and protesters that have been ongoing for months. Everyone is supposed to be equal under the law but these people want the poet to be more equal, why is that, are they also red supporters or is there a lot more too it. Human rights groups should be standing up for everyone not selected people, they are doing themselves a great dis-service with this crap, they should be demanding all the recent killings should be fast tracked but that wouldnt suit the red leaning police and obviously not achieve what these idiots want.

Edited by seajae

Non sense.

You missed one person out of your plainly biased rant :

Abisith could tell "I killed less than Thaksin"

Thaksin could tell "Anyway, be happy, I killed less than Hitler".

Now more accurate.......

Because this is the first time an intellectual or an artist has been assasinated in connection with both the political opposition and the movement to bring free speech to Thailand., something that is usually a prerequisite for a country to call itself a democracy.

There was a real problem with lack of free speech in Thailand when Thaksin was PM as well so its not only the elites who are to blame. It is the entire system that needs to be overhauled. The red shirt leaders inluding Yingluck live in terror of the elites . Even Taksin lives in terror of the elites. Not one of them has ever campained for free speech. Only this guy who was killed. A poet is the only one who is fearless to speak the truth because for him its not about money, its about truth something very rare in the world today.

Nobody is saying not to investigate the deaths of children etc.. But this case is hugely significant and could lead all the way to the top if it were actually investigated. More likely they will round up the usual suspects.

This subject is huge now with the new facebook cyber vigillantes going after the "trash of thailand" as they say.

They are making death threats and creating more and more climate of fear.

I haven't realized that the case was solved and a political motive confirmed.

There were quite a few other people in Thailand which died for telling the truth (or in some cases, to prevent them from speaking out). And of course, he was not the first to campaign for free speech.

This case is NOT more significant than others, certainly not than the killing of children. No "but". And no "all the way to the top" hyperbole, please. Threats of Facebook go both ways, as you can read on a recent topic.

Kamols murder heightens the climate of fear felt by those who speak out against Thailands draconian lese-majeste law," said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch."The Thai authorities need to quickly investigate this murder and bring whoever is responsible to justice, wherever that investigation leads," Adams said in a statement issued in New York.

sounds like with the last 4 words, Adams has some ideas on who ordered the assassin.

"wherever that investigation leads," Adams said in a statement issued in New York.

What about the human rights of people constitutionally and peacefully protesting who are slain?

What about the human rights of people who are not allowed a democracy because of a convicted criminal with a red terrorist tool to prevent it?

My wife listened to one of his so called poems on a red shirt rally stage this morning on youtube.... It was the same sort of political rant that Churapong, Jatts and Natt came out with calling for an armed struggle and to smite the anti-government protesters from the battlefield, declare war on the army and to burn away the elite.

Just because he minces his words and claims it to be poetry doesn't mean he gets extra privileges.

You spout intimidation and incitement... you make yourself a target, he made himself a target and got his just deserts.

Also, while I am also against the lese majeste laws, I am not stupid enough to get on a stage and continually rant on about it in a country that has a complete over the top monarchical obsession.... That is just being plain reckless, and I would not be surprised if he has brought this on by his own stupidity.

No sympathy for idiots.

posting a point scoring rant like that, I don't have much sympathy for you.

really have to wonder at the mental ability of these people, calling for the fast tracking of finding a red poets killer while ignoring the deaths of children and protesters that have been ongoing for months. Everyone is supposed to be equal under the law but these people want the poet to be more equal, why is that, are they also red supporters or is there a lot more too it. Human rights groups should be standing up for everyone not selected people, they are doing themselves a great dis-service with this crap, they should be demanding all the recent killings should be fast tracked but that wouldnt suit the red leaning police and obviously not achieve what these idiots want.

Poor hater! May Luang the Pooper forgive you!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

No sympathy for idiots.

What desert?

Sahara or Gobi?

No sympathy for idiots.

posting a point scoring rant like that, I don't have much sympathy for you.

WhoppiDumb?

• Like 2

Kamols murder heightens the climate of fear felt by those who speak out against Thailands draconian lese-majeste law," said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch."The Thai authorities need to quickly investigate this murder and bring whoever is responsible to justice, wherever that investigation leads," Adams said in a statement issued in New York.

sounds like with the last 4 words, Adams has some ideas on who ordered the assassin.

"wherever that investigation leads," Adams said in a statement issued in New York.

Sounds like a generic statement to me.

wanted to ask the same. Why is the life of a red shirt poet more worth than of some children?

wanted to ask the same. Why is the life of a red shirt poet more worth than of some children?

What a stupid question!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1