Lest we forget

eezergood

Lest we forget who put them in harms way by sending them to the wrong beach

Unfortunately many lives were lost from many nations during the wars created by mankind.

We should remember them all, with sadness and respect.

You think it would be better to belittle it with blaming someone? Too sad for words.

• Like 1

Unfortunately many lives were lost from many nations during the wars created by mankind.

You think it would be better to belittle it with blaming someone? Too sad for words.

He has a point though. Although those who gave their lives should be remembered and honored, those who sent them to their doom unnecessarily should also be held accountable.

• Like 1

He has a point though. Although those who gave their lives should be remembered and honored, those who sent them to their doom unnecessarily should also be held accountable.

Thanks... That was my point. We are still subservient to the Brits as long as we still have a Governor General

The higher ups sent our guys to an unnecessary slaughter and its a symbol of national pride. We should be ashamed we sent those poor guys to their deaths

Lest we forget that

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Thanks... That was my point. We are still subservient to the Brits as long as we still have a Governor General

The higher ups sent our guys to an unnecessary slaughter and its a symbol of national pride. We should be ashamed we sent those poor guys to their deaths

Lest we forget that

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Anzac Day is, and quite rightly, a highly important day of remembrance for all Australian and New Zealand nationals. It pays tribute to all Australian and New Zealanders who have fallen, not only at Gallipoli, but all conflicts. I personally think it's disrespectful to use the tragedy of these war time events to lay blame and seek political mileage. The First World War was strewn with wrong decisions that cost the lives of millions on all sides.

Just out of curiousity, I sought and found the casualty details for the Gallipoli campaign:

Turkey: 56,643 dead 107,007 wounded 11,178 missing and prisoners

UK 34,072 dead 78,520 wounded 7,654 missing and prisoners

France 9,798 dead 17,371 wounded

Australia 8.709 dead 19,441 wounded

New Zealand 2,721 dead 4,752 wounded

British India 1,358 dead 3,421 wounded

Newfoundland 49 dead 93 wounded

Edited by pagallim
  • Like 1

Those figures would be even more interesting if they were as a percentage of each country's army numbers, or as a pro-rata of each country's population, at the time.

I didn't post the figures for them to be 'interesting', only to get into context that whilst the Anzacs did indeed suffer large numbers of casualties, and Gallipoli is synominous with the Anzacs, it's worthwhile remembering those lost there from other nations, France for example, who, along with the British, were fighting the Germans at the same time on their own soil.

Edited by pagallim
  • Like 1