pickpocket on the BTS

CaptHaddock

The other days while standing on the escalator going up to the BTS at Silom I was suddenly startled to feel a tug on the key case which I carry in my right front pocket. I turned around to see a foreign guy raise his hands up in a kind of "you caught me" gesture. He then scooted off the escalator, out and down the street.

Lucky for me that he was not a competent pickpocket or else I wouldn't have felt anything. I realize now that riding the up escalator affords a pickpocket the advantage of raising your pockets higher relative to his hands while he is standing on the step behind you. I would also guess that he probably chose another foreigner as a victim believing that I would be less likely to call the police or call for the Thais around me to help me.

Anyway, forewarned is forearmed.

• Like 2

Obviously a description would provide more "forearming"? Was this at a particular station? At a particular time of day? Anything useful at all?

As it is, advising people to be aware of their surroundings, and the possibility of pickpockets, is well, hardly novel or useful.

People bump into me, and and I occasionally bump into other people, especially in crowded public transportation situations. Some might even raise their hands as an act of apology for the inadvertent contact. Hardly makes one guilty of a crime.

• Like 1

And I caught a (foreign) guy trying to lift my wallet at a crowded market in Pattaya a few weeks ago (posted in a different thread). Got to watch carefully, as they sometimes operate in pairs and probably have "contingency" plans in case things go wrong.

Interesting......just talking to a friend yesterday who had a French guy try to pickpocket him on the BTS. Be aware folks.

How do you know he was French?

Did you engage in full conversation?

or

Did he have a blue/white striped top on with onions hanging around his neck??

Also the OP said on the BTS but actually at the station. There is no BTS Silom line, so is it MRT Silom or BTS Sala Dang? Sorry to nit pick but half a story is half a story.

• Like 1

Obviously a description would provide more "forearming"? Was this at a particular station? At a particular time of day? Anything useful at all?

As it is, advising people to be aware of their surroundings, and the possibility of pickpockets, is well, hardly novel or useful.

People bump into me, and and I occasionally bump into other people, especially in crowded public transportation situations. Some might even raise their hands as an act of apology for the inadvertent contact. Hardly makes one guilty of a crime.

Umm, maybe re-read he says BTS @ Silom....if you need information!

Interesting......just talking to a friend yesterday who had a French guy try to pickpocket him on the BTS. Be aware folks.

or

Also the OP said on the BTS but actually at the station. There is no BTS Silom line, so is it MRT Silom or BTS Sala Dang? Sorry to nit pick but half a story is half a story.

I don't think you know what you talk about. There is a BTS Silom line. Sala Deng is just one station on the BTS Silom line.

There are two BTS lines. The Silom line and the Sukhomwith linr

Edited by larsjohnsson

"As it is, advising people to be aware of their surroundings, and the possibility of pickpockets, is well, hardly novel or useful"

Reminders like this are very useful. People tend to let their guard down, especially in areas or around people they don't think of as threats.

• Like 2

How did he know he was French? was he wearing a beret, a striped jersey , and a ring of onions round his neck??

just seen that someone else asked this, my badwhistling.gif

Edited by bigjules007

And I caught a (foreign) guy trying to lift my wallet at a crowded market in Pattaya a few weeks ago (posted in a different thread). Got to watch carefully, as they sometimes operate in pairs and probably have "contingency" plans in case things go wrong.

Not surprised you got targetted. Anybody seen with a wallet is an instant easy target. Only an idiot would carry a wallet, presumably in your back pocket, and then wonder why it gets nicked. In Thailand you should carry money in shorts with several zipped pockets and spread the cash around the pockets. No pickpocket will touch you. And yes, the good ones always work in groups of at least 3 people. The stolen item is moved quickly away and you will never know. When I was in India some of the boys showed me how they steal from tourists and I can assure you they are very good and fast. You will never stop a woman from carrying a hand bag with lots of goodies inside. They are the best to steal from.

or

Wow, lotusboy, thank goodness you are here to get this entire matter straightened out.

Maybe he wasn't actually french...maybe he was faking a french accent...these things are important.

And then there is the whole BTS or MRT deal, geez, was that ever difficult to follow until you got it straightened out.

I, for one, am thankful you are here.

To the other readers, do you think its possible we can all pitch in a few Baht and get lotusboy some sort of a badge--something he can wear to show others to respect his authori-tie?

• Like 2

"As it is, advising people to be aware of their surroundings, and the possibility of pickpockets, is well, hardly novel or useful"

Reminders like this are very useful. People tend to let their guard down, especially in areas or around people they don't think of as threats.

Right on, Terry!

I found it a very useful reminder.

• Like 1

Beware on non-Thai pickpockets, Thai pickpockets are OK...

'Remember seeing a tv documentary on "professional" pickpockets a couple of years ago. The "ring" that was the focus of that was Italian operating in Rome (and most commonly on the public transportation systems as a matter of fact), but the lesson was very clear. If you're ever targeted by such a mob, your ONLY defense is not having anything on you that you can't afford to lose in the 1st place. They KNOW their business! 'Understand Spain is also a high-risk destination for this as well. 'Just a matter of time until these talents arrive in Thailand, if they haven't already. Do NOT underestimate the capabilities of this scum! A pickpocket whose efforts you're able to detect is an amateur, and you've been lucky.

I remember a poster here on another thread here on TV commenting on the stupidity of foreigners who have their passports pickpocketed here in Thailand. You better believe the stupidity rests with the naive foreigner who makes the mistake of thinking it can't happen to them! (And BTS is a high-risk area.)

Edited by hawker9000

You mean that after the failed attempt at pickpocketing,

The thief offered apologies in the language of Molière?

Not surprised you got targetted. Anybody seen with a wallet is an instant easy target. Only an idiot would carry a wallet, presumably in your back pocket, and then wonder why it gets nicked. In Thailand you should carry money in shorts with several zipped pockets and spread the cash around the pockets. No pickpocket will touch you. And yes, the good ones always work in groups of at least 3 people. The stolen item is moved quickly away and you will never know. When I was in India some of the boys showed me how they steal from tourists and I can assure you they are very good and fast. You will never stop a woman from carrying a hand bag with lots of goodies inside. They are the best to steal from.

So, as an expert, how do normal people wearing long trousers guard against pick pockets? Answers please on a postcard to.........

or

I don't think you know what you talk about. There is a BTS Silom line. Sala Deng is just one station on the BTS Silom line.

There are two BTS lines. The Silom line and the Sukhomwith linr

I DO know what I am talking about.... It was supposed to say STATION.... So you are saying the Picky dude was at ALL stations on the Silom Line? Since I live here think I know what I am talking about..Ohhh by the way its is Sukhumvit Line or the Green line or Light Green Line. So Naaaa naaaaa naaa naaaaaaaaa.....

or

Wow, lotusboy, thank goodness you are here to get this entire matter straightened out.

Maybe he wasn't actually french...maybe he was faking a french accent...these things are important.

And then there is the whole BTS or MRT deal, geez, was that ever difficult to follow until you got it straightened out.

I, for one, am thankful you are here.

To the other readers, do you think its possible we can all pitch in a few Baht and get lotusboy some sort of a badge--something he can wear to show others to respect his authori-tie?

And thank you to you too. TV always needs a Ronald McDonald comment. Cheers James Hunt.... Here is your 25 stang....

Welcome to S a r c a s m.........

Edited by LotusBoy

Funny you should mention this, Captain...

In all my years of living in Thailand, the only time I've ever lost my wallet was ONCE while riding and getting off a crowded BTS train, back in the long distant days when I carried my wallet in my front pants pocket. After that episode, I switched to a zipper and snap closure shoulder bag.

But oddly, tonight, on the way home on a very crowded BTS Sukhumvit train, I was standing packed in with all the other sardines when I felt something, looked down, and saw a foreign (non-Thai) guy standing next to me with his hand into/under the fold-over outer flap of my small shoulder bag, which hangs at about my waist level.

The guy didn't have his hand inside my bag itself, just inside the covering outer flap. And he didn't have anything in his hand in terms of my possessions. So, as soon as I saw that, I just shifted my body and pulled my bag away from the guy... And then I got off shortly thereafter, with everything of mine intact.

But I couldn't quite tell: was the guy trying to pickpocket me, or was the train so crowded and everyone packed together so much that his hand just ended up getting under the flap of my bag.... ???

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

"I couldn't quite tell: was the guy trying to pickpocket me, or was the train so crowded and everyone packed together so much that his hand just ended up getting under the flap of my bag."--well, it's pretty unlikely that his hand was there by mistake--IMO.

I think the Punch-Bag scenario is required.

I think pickpockets or any kind of thieves are cool. Whenever I see one, I use it as a punch bag for a little while.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hey tough bloke whistling.gif That "punching bag" exercise will work only when dealing with other foreigners. Try it, while dealing with aThai thief, and you, yourself will very promptly become the punching bag of 10+ Thai menfolk. Guaranteed!

or

Don't stereotype people! French people don't have a string of onions around their neck. It's garlic, not onions that all Frenchies have around their necks.

I remember 4 years back when my Son visited me and we walk down at walking street a foreign Guy was getting in to my pocket as my Son was behind me he have seen it and he knocked the Guy full with the fist over the head, when that was happen 3 other guys running in different directions away.

As my Son get that on his camera with the guys hand on my right pocket we just handed him over to the Tourist Police there.

Was actually funny how to Guy was going down. Just for explanation my Son has 125 kilo and 189 hight so maybe the pick pockets did not realize that we are together as I am only 68 kg and 178. When I asked him with what did you hit him he just show me the fist and told me doing that as well on my Gas station at Germany if some guys at night create some trouble and look them up in the washing street and call the police.

I am since then always care when on MRT or BTS.

Recent Defense strategies applied during my last recent trip to Bangkok.

When exchanging large amounts of money, I took my wive's brother to watch over for kamoy. I said its because he knows Muay Thai. He said Muay Thai is no good against "meet" (knife). This tells me I need to enhance my strategy as money would be lost as he won't do anything except look like a watchout.

When a man stood near me on a noncrowded escalator, I just moved away from him. I didn't act like I owned the space.

If I feel there is a group dynamic too close to me, I will move to a different BTS waiting line and have let trains pass without boarding just to see if there is any odd group movements. There's always another train in a few minutes.

Lastly, dress like a slob. Leave the Gucci shoes at home. leave the gold amulets at home.

• Like 1