What happens when you go to meet your maker?

Rorri

I appreciate your situation and understand your concern. Some of the replies you have gotten describe scenarios many TV posters have not done or cannot do. Too many falangs live here with their women and have never taken them to their home countries to estsblish citizenship, sent them to school, taught them a trade, or have pensions/investments that will provide for the women after their deaths. That's why a man should always have a woman who can do more than just spread her legs. Preferably, she can do more when they meet, but far too often, that is the extent of her talents. Do both of you a favor, help her gain other talents, skills, and abilties.

• Like 2

Rorri

, you are reading my mind... the Aussie government provides free English lessons, and yes, she will look for employment as well gaining skills she would never get here, it will also be good in that she will see farang do work hard for their money lol. I'm with you, trying to set her up with far more, hopeful much better, options later in life. It really does worry me that when I'm gone that she will end up back in the same village with the same poor life she had before we met, believe me she deserves much more.

Tony12522

Are you retired and do you not have a pension? life insurance? I worked over 40 years for US Government and retired last year with full pension, I can live comfortably here with it and when I pass she will get a large insurance payment (my daughter gets other half) and about 60% of my pension every month. We own homes in Chon Buri, Rayong and land so should not have any problems when I pass. Good idea to make sure wife has passport for your country (USA, Britain, Aus) in case wants to visit or move there but if set up correctly think she would do better here in Thailand--could live well on lower amount. My wife can live on my pension but even if someone was only receving USA Social Security benefits would be enough for spouse to live on if you passed.

There was a Thai /brit couple in my village, he up and died of a heart attack at 62.

She had the house he had built, the new car he bought and whatever money was in the bank.

I arranged and obtained his few pensions for her at his request, so she was all set, not rich by any means but a good income, certainly better than the average thai, Within 2 months of his funeral she was in Pattaya and now has another Ferang husband.

So, dont think too much, chances are she will simply go find annother Ferang.

Before anyone else jumps in, yes age is a factor and if your partner is over 50 there is not juch chance of what I described happening, but the lady in this story was 44, looked mid 30's.

My wife is late 40's and I sincerely hope she will will find love again if I die before her.

• Like 1

If you have nothing substantial here YES I would agree. Get her to OZ. Get her citizenship so she will be cared for even if she returned to thailand

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

In what way will she be cared for?

Up to her. However from a practical side why don't you ask her ? Lay out the best circumstance for her in Thailand. Lay out the best circumstance in Oz. Look at the worst scenario for both places. Is she eligible to emigrate ? You are aware that just being married does not guarantee she can go.

Personally I do not worry about it because I will not be around. I am providing the best comfort for the two of us and her Thai daughter while I am here while I am here. She will have 4 to 6 properties of her own volition. I am providing cash and impetus for maintenance and improvements. I have told her she may want to sell some properties but the Thai way is to hang on to real estate even through poverty. But I do not worry. It is an unproductive habit.

At a minimum, guys, make sure you have a Thai Will to handle your Thai assets and a Will in your home country to handle your assets there. Don't plan on any "trick" moves like leaving your ATM card and the PIN number with the little woman with instructions for her to clean out your sole account right after your death before the bank finds out. For goodness sake, do it right. It's the least you can do for her.

'The Lawyer on TV's Ask the Lawyer forum seems to think it's OK. I questioned it, but his answer to my second thread was 'it's basically not legal but common practice in Thailand'......go figure, Here's the first thread answer.

"A simple will can be done, but it will need to be witnessed, another easy way is to leave the ATM and pin number with the benefactor the so that they can just take out the money via ATM, other wise a court order to administrate the estate is required to take out the money whether there was a will or not."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/720549-thai-will-foreign-benefactor-2/?hl=+simple%20+will

The fundamental question is: Has Thailand joined the rest of the world as far as this is concerned?

In case of a non-existent written will, the assets go to:

a) Spouse

B) Children

automatically, without but's, if's and why's.

I am confident, that even in Thailand (yes even in Thailand) this universal consensus has taken hold and has found it's way into the judicial-system of Thailand.

Cheers.

My gal is happy here....big family... Many options open. We will hopefully have a little "jumpstart" money available for the future. Definitely will have her startup a little outlet.... Furniture Collectables. You know, those one of a kind items you see only now and then. Something artsy, and practical at the same time. Right now it is just a hobby thing. Travel and buy, if it appeals to the eye. Start slow, some home decorations, then the bigger stuff. Whatever we see in other places that is not always readily purchased for a good price where we are. She will remember our times together and the places we have been. Little stories for the buyer. A cup of coffee and a cozy chair. Her friends coming over to chat at the store... friendly place. Medical Insurance, A small life insurance to pay off some bills.....directly, with a Trustee I would prefer. Her sisters have 100 rai between them....several empty houses.... lots of room, as all her and her sister's kids are out and working. (almost working). Not a bad future without me.

At a minimum, guys, make sure you have a Thai Will to handle your Thai assets and a Will in your home country to handle your assets there. Don't plan on any "trick" moves like leaving your ATM card and the PIN number with the little woman with instructions for her to clean out your sole account right after your death before the bank finds out. For goodness sake, do it right. It's the least you can do for her.

'The Lawyer on TV's Ask the Lawyer forum seems to think it's OK. I questioned it, but his answer to my second thread was 'it's basically not legal but common practice in Thailand'......go figure, Here's the first thread answer.

"A simple will can be done, but it will need to be witnessed, another easy way is to leave the ATM and pin number with the benefactor the so that they can just take out the money via ATM, other wise a court order to administrate the estate is required to take out the money whether there was a will or not."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/720549-thai-will-foreign-benefactor-2/?hl=+simple%20+will

Just a thought...wouldn't it be odd if your pin number for your ATM was the same as the numerical date of your passing?

Downright Scary.

"A simple will

can be done, but it will need to be witnessed, another easy way is to leave the ATM and pin number with the benefactor the so that they can just take out the money via ATM, other wise a court order to administrate the estate is required to take out the money whether there was a will or not."

Uptheos, I can't see where the lawyer ever answered your question. I find it hard to believe a lawyer would suggest using the ATM and PIN number to access a dead person's bank account.

"A simple will

can be done, but it will need to be witnessed, another easy way is to leave the ATM and pin number with the benefactor the so that they can just take out the money via ATM, other wise a court order to administrate the estate is required to take out the money whether there was a will or not."

Uptheos, I can't see where the lawyer ever answered your question. I find it hard to believe a lawyer would suggest simply using the ATM and PIN number to access a dead person's bank account.

"A simple will

Uptheos, I can't see where the lawyer ever answered your question. I find it hard to believe a lawyer would suggest simply using the ATM and PIN number to access a dead person's bank account.

"A simple will

Just a thought...wouldn't it be odd if your pin number for your ATM was the same as the numerical date of your passing?

Downright Scary.

Dude put the joint down

• Like 1

It is something that it is strong in my mind also. This is not a thing I considered when I married a girl younger than me, but it it is inevitable that I will be checking out before her, and as we are very close and I Know my passing will not be easy on her, the thought of it stresses me out.

These are some of the things I have done to insure some degree of security for my Family once I am gone.

Firstly I made sure that we stay long enough in the US for my wife to become a US citizen which she now is, This will give her the ability to come back to the US when ever she wants if she ever finds the need. , and being able to manage any wealth we have there,

Second, while in the US I made sure she acquired a trade, This gives her the ability to earn a living independent of me.

Third, we will not burn all bridges in the US, WE will maintain a residency there which we will rent , and let it pay for it's self, available for when needed.

We have a small Home in Thailand where her sister lives and where we live when there. We are slowly building a second home next to it, should be finished in a couple of years, we are finishing portions as we have money to do,, so so that when we are finished it will be debt free.

Also Her elderly parents have a house in the village that her and her sister will inherit when the inlaws pass away. This will wive her a Home to live in Thailand, Two properties for income, and a home to live in the US if need be.

When we do out taxes every year, she pays in to the Social security system , so that when she comes of age, she will at least receive the minimum SS monthly payment,

My Union retirement has the option that I take a reduced monthly payment but my wife keeps my pension after I die, ( that should screw them up, since my wife is a lot younger than me laugh.png ) it is not a lot of money but it will be a secure monthly income.

But of all the things I did I think the most important is that I helped have the ability to earn a living on her own,

All these things combined, should provide for her after I am gone, But even so, I still cant get over the the thought that one day I will have to leave my wife to fend for her self, and it is not an easy thought,

I know it is not a healthy train of thought, and that it is something that I will have to come to terms with. But as of yet when ever the thought raises it's self in my mind, it stresses the hell out of me.

Sounds to me like you are a very decent fellow and you are doing all you can to secure their future. having a house with no debt is a great start, giving them the provision of an income (even small) is probably the icing on the cake.

if they can learn to make a living form you as well in whatever trade you are in then what more could anyone want from you.

My advice is stop worrying and enjoy your life together, you can over think things sometimes.

Not arguing with you, NancyL, but do you have information to disprove this could not be a successful thing to do?

I've contacted my embassy about who is notified upon my death as well as the financial places I deal with and I don't see a problem with it.

What information do you have to suggest it's not a decent approach? A notarized letter of authorization from the decedent saying the card can be used would be wise.

Naturally, I have a Thai will made out but my faith in it is not so great.

I too have made sure my wife will never have to worry after I have gone.She will the house in her name

,some land,and a rental prperty in Aus. Plus we have money in the bank.My wife has deen very good to me and we actually done very well from our constrution company which she started.She looks after me as I am very sick so I feel or i know that she has proven herself time and time again.She is my beautiful wife.

• Like 1

when im gone,,,

probly family coming round who she has never met trying to get her to give lend money to them,

at the moment when people ask she says jake has to go to work to earn it so should you,

but if im not around more presure on her bless her,,

jake

I guess the OP has No life insurance or a mindset that a Thai can live in Thailand without him.LOL

Having talked to many Thais on the subject, including those unfortunates who left Thailand under misguided idea that they would be "better off" in their partner's country I firmly believe that about the cruelest thing you can do to a Thai is to take her out of Thailand. Thai people, especially women, get horribly homesick and they thrive only in Thailand. Whatever you do, provide for her here and never ever consider moving her out of muang Thai.

• Like 1

Having talked to many Thais on the subject, including those unfortunates who left Thailand under misguided idea that they would be "better off" in their partner's country I firmly believe that about the cruelest thing you can do to a Thai is to take her out of Thailand. Thai people, especially women, get horribly homesick and they thrive only in Thailand. Whatever you do, provide for her here and never ever consider moving her out of muang Thai.

Sorry Surfinglife, but I have to disagree with you on this one

I can't talk about every country or even every social strata , in a particular country,

perhaps with in the people you know, this might be true

but I can talk about my county, the US and my particular circle of friends,

and I can honestly tell you this,

All the Thai ladies I know, And being socially active with in the Thai community , I know many

are happy to be here and are very well adjusted. I even know a few that would not even want to go back to Thailand for any reason other than to visit.

To be honest, if I meet my maker, I'll be more worried about myself than those that are following me.

When I look upon the temporal and temporary pitfalls of this mortal coil in comparison to the eternity that lies ahead, it seems like little more than a prequalification exercise for what lies ahead. I think the OP is somewhat off - topic with respect to his title....

SC

To answer the question of watchacters and others about why it's not a good idea to count on simply giving the ATM card and PIN to your loved ones as a way for them to access your Thai bank account --- I'm involved with this group, www.LannaCareNet.org and have assisted several clients who had this plan, but it didn't work out when they passed.

Perhaps bank manager moved on, and the new one didn't know about the "arrangement". Perhaps the adult children of the deceased decided they had a claim to the funds and notified the Embassy/Consulate of their concerns (in Thailand, children inherit at the same level as a spouse in the absence of a Will) Perhaps what someone thought was a "marriage" had never been legalized at the Amphur. Often it's just the bank manager deciding s/he doesn't want to let the funds go without a full investigation of whether other heirs have a right to make a claim. So, the manager asks the wife to obtain a court order. This is especially true for larger accounts that will attract the attention of the bank manager's headquarters office in Bangkok.

Personally, I don't think about it. I have raised 3 kids to be financially independent and paid for a house. Up to them when I go. I have no saving BECAUSE of them.

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Mate with comments like this you are living in the wrong era, you should have lived in colonial India or Africa

Are we talking about people here or a breed of cattle ?

If you have nothing substantial here YES I would agree. Get her to OZ. Get her citizenship so she will be cared for even if she returned to thailand

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

I have massive problems with this attitude. I worked 43 years, paid a lot of tax, provided for my retirement, never drew a cent from the government, although I was as poor as a church mouse early on, and I will never qualify for any 'benefits'.

Income tax isn't a retirement fund. It's for government programs, and for anyone to suggest he, or his family, is entitled to an aged pension because he paid tax, I find offensive, particularly if he's worked overseas and not paid Australian tax for some of that time.

It may not be illegal, but it's certainly immoral.

I certainly wouldn't be revealing that to my friends back home, or identifying myself online, because others may see it for what it is, social security cheating.