What happens when you go to meet your maker?

Rorri

To answer the question of watchacters and others about why it's not a good idea to count on simply giving the ATM card and PIN to your loved ones as a way for them to access your Thai bank account --- I'm involved with this group, www.LannaCareNet.org and have assisted several clients who had this plan, but it didn't work out when they passed.

Perhaps bank manager moved on, and the new one didn't know about the "arrangement". Perhaps the adult children of the deceased decided they had a claim to the funds and notified the Embassy/Consulate of their concerns (in Thailand, children inherit at the same level as a spouse in the absence of a Will) Perhaps what someone thought was a "marriage" had never been legalized at the Amphur. Often it's just the bank manager deciding s/he doesn't want to let the funds go without a full investigation of whether other heirs have a right to make a claim. So, the manager asks the wife to obtain a court order. This is especially true for larger accounts that will attract the attention of the bank manager's headquarters office in Bangkok.

Quote (in Thailand, children inherit at the same level as a spouse in the absence of a Will).

So far so good. What applies when the children are stepchildren. Same same or not?

Thanks & cheers.

I'll be dead so up to her to sort the mess. care factor will not be all that high on my part.

we are not talking about caring about it after you are dead, we are talking about caring about it now that you are alive, unless of course you are already brain dead in which case ,,

Carry on smile.png

Will in place with family at home. One house in uk providing income. One up country that can never be taken away near her family and one being built near pattaya with a mortgage and associated insurance. Small crappy 50k usd life insurance and a few pensions. British passport for daughter. At the moment I can't do much more. But I'll try. They are all that maters to me.

• Like 1

To answer the question of watchacters and others about why it's not a good idea to count on simply giving the ATM card and PIN to your loved ones as a way for them to access your Thai bank account --- I'm involved with this group, www.LannaCareNet.org and have assisted several clients who had this plan, but it didn't work out when they passed.

Perhaps bank manager moved on, and the new one didn't know about the "arrangement". Perhaps the adult children of the deceased decided they had a claim to the funds and notified the Embassy/Consulate of their concerns (in Thailand, children inherit at the same level as a spouse in the absence of a Will) Perhaps what someone thought was a "marriage" had never been legalized at the Amphur. Often it's just the bank manager deciding s/he doesn't want to let the funds go without a full investigation of whether other heirs have a right to make a claim. So, the manager asks the wife to obtain a court order. This is especially true for larger accounts that will attract the attention of the bank manager's headquarters office in Bangkok.

Quote (in Thailand, children inherit at the same level as a spouse in the absence of a Will).

So far so good. What applies when the children are stepchildren. Same same or not?

Thanks & cheers.

I'm not a lawyer. On the list I've seen of who inherits at what level, stepchildren aren't mentioned.

The problem I'm describing comes when the deceased's adult children overseas decides that their beloved papa's young Thai wife isn't entitled to his entire estate -- that the Thai bride was evil, probably killed him and certainly hastened his demise. The least they can do is swoop in to reclaim what is rightfully theirs. At least that's how the adult offspring see it and tell it to the embassy/consulate/lawyers/bank manager.

Thanks for the reply NancyL.

I didn't realize your warning pertained to Thai banks specifically.

Thanks & cheers.

I'm not a lawyer. On the list I've seen of who inherits at what level, stepchildren aren't mentioned.

The problem I'm describing comes when the deceased's adult children overseas decides that their beloved papa's young Thai wife isn't entitled to his entire estate -- that the Thai bride was evil, probably killed him and certainly hastened his demise. The least they can do is swoop in to reclaim what is rightfully theirs. At least that's how the adult offspring see it and tell it to the embassy/consulate/lawyers/bank manager.

Thanks Nancy. This tells me that we have another "legal-limbo-factor" built into the legal-system in Thailand. Under these circumstances, I must now seek legal advice, because I want that all assets will benefit my wife and no one else.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT IN GENERAL: Most Farangs marry Thai-Females that were married previously. In most cases, those previous marriages did not remain childless. So, a majority of Farangs have "Stepchildren".

Under these circumstances, I would think that clarification of this subject (child versus stepchild) and it's possible legal deviations, should be of importance to 90 % of Farangs.(If no will in existence).

Nancy, you will sort it out for us.

Thanks & cheers.

Thanks & cheers.

Thanks Nancy. This tells me that we have another "legal-limbo-factor" built into the legal-system in Thailand. Under these circumstances, I must now seek legal advice, because I want that all assets will benefit my wife and no one else.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT IN GENERAL: Most Farangs marry Thai-Females that were married previously. In most cases, those previous marriages did not remain childless. So, a majority of Farangs have "Stepchildren".

Under these circumstances, I would think that clarification of this subject (child versus stepchild) and it's possible legal deviations, should be of importance to 90 % of Farangs.(If no will in existence).

Nancy, you will sort it out for us.

Thanks & cheers.

Of course I am no Nancy, but this is my opinion in this matter.tongue.png

I don't think that stepchildren have any claim to an inheritance, unless they are legally adapted.

What will happen when I meet my maker?

He'll say, "<deleted> are you doing here? I don't exist!" No, wait! He'll say, "<deleted> am I doing here?"

Oh, this is very confusing. I have a headache.

Meanwhile, Mrs. T will say, "Finally! I've been waiting ages. Did you have to be THAT much healthier than me?? And don't think I don't know what you'd been up to while I'd been gone!"

"But...but, darling, your grammar and punctuation are impeccable. I'm impressed, and perplexed."

How do I know about the punctuation? Because, silly, people in the afterlife communicate in thought bubbles.

T

• Like 1

That's right, I think it would be true in any legal system in the world, stepchildren have no legal standing to inherit your estate if you die without a Will. Your adult children overseas -- the ones you haven't talked to for decades -- have the same rights as your Thai wife, if you die without a Will in Thailand. And her children, your stepchildren, the ones you're raising as your own -- they're aren't considered at all in the division of your Thai assets.

Now, I hope this inspires some of you to go get a Thai Will for your Thai assets!

one note of caution here,i am not suggesting any of my fellow posters have anything but good wives,as i do myself,but we have all heard stories where falangs have been killed by family members or the wife herself to get his funds, by all means make a will but i suggest it is kept with another falang friend.the old adage i read somewhere 'make sure your worth more alive than dead ' does hold true in some cases,please may i again state i am not suggesting that any of my fellow posters here would be in this position,and i am sure i am not,but we have all read of cases like this.

@67 years of age and with a few health issues I think of that scenario more and more often. My inheritance depends on how long I will last, as I'm dipping into savings and my family will be better off if I die tomorrow [before the 'well' dries up]. I have been here long enough to know my Thai wife and most Thais are terrible money managers............. to put it politely.

I've instructed my younger brother and sister to disperse my overseas funds on a monthly basis and will get a trust fund drawn up on my next trip back stating the above.

She will get all of my Thai bank accounts, by Thai law and I've requested [demanded] her to give me a simple pauper's funeral and not blow 100,000 THB for my burning and can only hope she complies. I tell her that I'm not a Buddhist and don't treat me as one when I pass, but I've seen it happen so many times when the surviving wife blows big Baht on getting a lot of locals drunk for a week.

Can I get a legal binding document stating that??

@67 years of age and with a few health issues I think of that scenario more and more often. My inheritance depends on how long I will last, as I'm dipping into savings and my family will be better off if I die tomorrow [before the 'well' dries up]. I have been here long enough to know my Thai wife and most Thais are terrible money managers............. to put it politely.

I've instructed my younger brother and sister to disperse my overseas funds on a monthly basis and will get a trust fund drawn up on my next trip back stating the above.

She will get all of my Thai bank accounts, by Thai law and I've requested [demanded] her to give me a simple pauper's funeral and not blow 100,000 THB for my burning and can only hope she complies. I tell her that I'm not a Buddhist and don't treat me as one when I pass, but I've seen it happen so many times when the surviving wife blows big Baht on getting a lot of locals drunk for a week.

I wish you luck on trying to enforce the "simple pauper's funeral" from the afterlife, jaideeguy. Remember, funerals are for the living, not the dead.

One suggestion is to have an Advance Health Directive in place that specifically addresses the issue of your body after death. As part of that directive, you would appoint a Health Care Representative who would advocate on your behalf. Check out the link at the bottom of this page: http://www.lannacarenet.org/lessons-learned-at-end-of-life/ for a Advance Health Directive that's been successfully used in Chiang Mai. Note -- it's not "legally binding" and there have been situations where a Thai wife overrules the document; the Health Care Representative has no legal standing to sue. But, in the vast majority of cases, hospitals, doctors and family have welcomed the guidance provided by having the Advance Health Directive in place. With regard to the part about funeral wishes -- I've seen Thai widows use this page to handle pressure from their family and friends that they should stage a big funeral to show proper respect for their departed husband. It helps them to show that their husband didn't want a large funeral.

poweratradio, on 26 Apr 2014 - 22:40, said:
pigeonjake, on 25 Apr 2014 - 16:33, said:

when im gone,,,

probly family coming round who she has never met trying to get her to give lend money to them,

at the moment when people ask she says jake has to go to work to earn it so should you,

but if im not around more presure on her bless her,,

jake

I guess the OP has No life insurance or a mindset that a Thai can live in Thailand without him.LOL

You seem to be thinking only of yourself... I have no doubt they can live without me... my concern, which you seem to lack, is the quality of their life.. Shame on you.

StreetCowboy, on 27 Apr 2014 - 03:34, said:

To be honest, if I meet my maker, I'll be more worried about myself than those that are following me.

When I look upon the temporal and temporary pitfalls of this mortal coil in comparison to the eternity that lies ahead, it seems like little more than a prequalification exercise for what lies ahead. I think the OP is somewhat off - topic with respect to his title....

SC

It's my topic, how can I possibly be "off-topic," you're weird and obviously think only of yourself.. good luck to you and I wish more luck to your family, if you have one.

Spoonman, on 27 Apr 2014 - 17:30, said:

I'll be dead so up to her to sort the mess. care factor will not be all that high on my part.

It's pretty obvious there is no care factor, I pity your wife, as in your own words, you do not care.... but thanks for being honest.

JournalistsAreLiars, on 27 Apr 2014 - 18:27, said:

If someone has not been able to set up a life when i was here why should i care when i will be gone ? Luckily i do not mess with retarded uneducated Thai.

But you obviously rest with yourself and I pity those that rest with you, does your partner know how you feel?

jaideeguy, on 28 Apr 2014 - 18:20, said:

The problem I see with a monthly "allowance" is that the Thai family, in many instances, will know when it's due, the following day it will all be gone.

As per sombodys posting that U.S. social security will pay benifits to a surviving spouse in Thailand, that simply is not so. If she was in the states she would be entitled to benifits, but not out of country.

For those of us that were in the U.S. military during the Vietnam conflict, and served a minimum of 90 days on active duty, the surviving spouse is entitled to benifits that are payable in Thailand by the Vetrans Admin. You will need your dischage papers. Check with your local VFW for more information.

As far as a funeral is concernded, the wife and I both went to CMU medical school anatomy dept. and made arangements to donate our bodies for use in general anatomy courses. It will not bother me in the least. The only thing that I wish is that I had a good 14 inches to show. Oh well, such is life.

I have helped my wife get a small Thai restaurant going here close to the house. Everything we own is paid for, so only utilities every month. This lady can squeze a baht until it bleeds. She will be fine.

• Like 1

As per sombodys posting that U.S. social security will pay benifits to a surviving spouse in Thailand, that simply is not so. If she was in the states she would be entitled to benifits, but not out of country.

For those of us that were in the U.S. military during the Vietnam conflict, and served a minimum of 90 days on active duty, the surviving spouse is entitled to benifits that are payable in Thailand by the Vetrans Admin. You will need your dischage papers. Check with your local VFW for more information.

As far as a funeral is concernded, the wife and I both went to CMU medical school anatomy dept. and made arangements to donate our bodies for use in general anatomy courses. It will not bother me in the least. The only thing that I wish is that I had a good 14 inches to show. Oh well, such is life.

I have helped my wife get a small Thai restaurant going here close to the house. Everything we own is paid for, so only utilities every month. This lady can squeze a baht until it bleeds. She will be fine.

You are a good man for thinking of your wife by providing for her , and also for thinking of others and leaving your remains for medical researchsmile.png

As Far as your wife receiving Social Security survivors benefits,

there are some provisions

Firstly if your Thai wife is also a US citizen, she would be able to receive SS payment in Thailand, that's why I thought it was so important for my wife to become a citizen, among other reasons.

Second Provision is if you have Children. Your children having an American father are entitled to US citizenship and SS survivors benefits until a certain age of which I am not sure (about age 20) and you wife as the caregiver of such children.

Third, even if the wife is not a US citizen, if she has spend a certain length of time in the US ( nor sure if it is 2 or 5 years) is entitled to SS survivors benefits.

I am not an expert in the subject others might know better.

Edited by sirineou

on a related question,

When I pass away I would not want to leave my wife along, So we are thinking of having a child, I am 56 and not thrilled about having any more children , I already have a daughter from an other marriage, whom I love very much and is very close to.

But my wife is 32 and I think it would be good to have a child and a family of her own , especially when I am gone,

We are both in career mode right now, and she does not want a child right now but in the near future she might.

I was thinking that in a few years when we retire , if I was unable to provide her with child because of my age, that we might legally adapt baby in Thailand.

If we did adapt ,I wonder what the baby's rights would be as far as SS benefits were concern?

Would an adapted child have the same right as a biological child?

Are you saying that not everybody has 14 inches? So sad for them/you.

• Like 1

Are you saying that not everybody has 14 inches? So sad for them/you.

I have 14 inches now. Cutting the other 4 off was quite painful.

sustento, on 30 Apr 2014 - 06:07, said:

When I go to meet my maker I shall ask him why Brad Pitt got the face he did while mine looks like a slapped arse?

You're one of those fools that just has to say something completely off topic... Please start your own thread. Oh, you're not funny.

What if she goes first? Who's going to do the cooking and cleaning?

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would worry more about the 'family' arriving and kickin me out of the house....assuming it's not a rental.

Deposit ?

sustento, on 30 Apr 2014 - 06:07, said:

When I go to meet my maker I shall ask him why Brad Pitt got the face he did while mine looks like a slapped arse?

You're one of those fools that just has to say something completely off topic... Please start your own thread. Oh, you're not funny.

cheesy.gif