The True Difficulties Of Importing Into Thailand

nonthaburial

Any supplier wishing keep his costs down to sell imported goods into any country to be able to do that and not rip off the general public/ purchasers, costs must be cut to the bone to allow the greasy hands in control to get their fair share ( money for nothing) but still leaving enough for a small profit after purchase costs, shipping costs insurance etc.

My calculations on the actual import duty costs of cider now transpire that for me to make 10 baht a bottle,which doesn't cover my staff costs I have to retail at over 300 baht a bottle. In places like China or HK where majority have liquid assets this is not a problem, but in the likes of Pattaya, it's a no no.

To add injury to insult, I did as promised send by courier to four selected recipients, a number of pies and pasties. They arrived in BKK only to be confiscated by Thai customs and destroyed, citing illegal meat import. The meat content was small but as for the legal require to for a Cornish pasty, they were vacuum packed, they were still frozen on arrival in polystyrene boxes. Yet the triads attempted to extort money from the courier company, who rightly refused.

Bye bye Thailand no way will serious and non corrupt businesses will deal with you.

Edited by Crossy
Comment on moderation removed, post remains as of value to others.

Sorry hear of your disappointments. I agree Thailand is shooting itself in the foot with its greedy, corruption based practices- it really isn't a place for small businesses. If you are foreign and have a larger factory type interest that can exploit cheap Thai labor, then maybe it is different.