Good recommendation for restaurants, anyone ?..

hawkeye76

Hi Guys.

I know we all (Most of us..) likes Dukes, but what else is there her in terms of good restaurants..

Personally i feel as im missing out on some great places, simply because i dont want to go into a place that looks like it belongs in an isaan ricefield or something.. I do not eat meat bought from the market, so not crappy places, as im getting stomack flu easy..

I heard of Gecko`s .. Where is it ?

White plate .. Still around, or sold or..

I like a "italian" place called success in riverside. Cheap, and good food for the cost..

What else is there..

Im sure many people that live here, or just passing through could use some guidence in this area..

What is your favorite foods, and where can i get it ? ..

Gecko's is good go to the stoplight at the South end of the Night Bazaar That is where the Pantip Plaza is. Turn right like you were going to the moat. It is about 200 meters down the street on the left hand side of the street it is on a main corner.

Dukes just opened an Italian restaurant out at the Promenada today. I would imagine it is up to the same standards as his western restaurants. They would also include the River Market.

• Like 1

IMO, Butter is Better near Pantip Plaza is one of the best in town. Their baked goods are pretty much just like back home, but there is plenty of other good stuff too: Pastrami, corned beef, blueberry pancakes, home made ice cream and more.

• Like 1

2 egg omelette with rice, 17 thb....three different places on Suthep. Pad See Ew pork 30 thb, 40 meters from the back entrance to CMU. Khao Soi, with chicken or pork, pickled cabbage and red onion on the side, with enough crushed chilis on the side to supply most of Scandinavia; 35 thb...Suthep Rd., Soi 4, 90 meters from True Office.

These tomatoes I bought at Royal Project were the best I've had in LOS; 10 thb for a four pack.

post-37570-0-46619000-1398503081_thumb.j

Hi Guys.

I know we all (Most of us..) likes Dukes, but what else is there her in terms of good restaurants..

Personally i feel as im missing out on some great places, simply because i dont want to go into a place that looks like it belongs in an isaan ricefield or something.. I do not eat meat bought from the market, so not crappy places, as im getting stomack flu easy..

I heard of Gecko`s .. Where is it ?

White plate .. Still around, or sold or..

I like a "italian" place called success in riverside. Cheap, and good food for the cost..

What else is there..

Im sure many people that live here, or just passing through could use some guidence in this area..

What is your favorite foods, and where can i get it ? ..

Try VT, the vietnamese restaurant close to The Duke. Very good food. Tonight I go to the Le Crystal World Buffet. Great food and a wine menu....well, it is not for English teachers I assume!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

IMO, Butter is Better near Pantip Plaza is one of the best in town. Their baked goods are pretty much just like back home, but there is plenty of other good stuff too: Pastrami, corned beef, blueberry pancakes, home made ice cream and more.

Butter is better is located on Changklan the same street as the Night Bazaar.

Just continue on down the street about 120 feet from the stop light at Pantip plaza and you will see them on the left side of the road. Yes it is also a good choice not as cheap but all the bread is home made and the cakes are the best I have found in Chiang Mai. I like the fact that he makes his own mayonnaise with out sugar. So I take the savings in sugar and have a peanut butter shake. Well the excuse works for me.

Edited by northernjohn
  • Like 1

Can always go to "Chiang Mai is where you die", very convenient in old town. If you eat foreign food (spoiled meat, absolute garbage...given 3 yrs ago the opposite), bring many digestive pills from home, but for Thai food, go to the a Riverside area.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

steak of the day at mae rim plaza is a great place to graze,opened a little over a year ago by a lovely thai couple ray and nui,ray was a former chef at the the four seasons,the fare covers a wide variety on a board menu, the prices are very reasonable,also they have a small slip of paper menu,which is for the less well heeled diners, rays pork hamburger(140 baht)is usually my pick,all beverages are at very low prices,the service is very friendly and polite and above all nothing is too mutch for them,just asksmile.pngbiggrin.png closed each sunday and ample parking is available,do yourself a treat and have a nice day out of the city and have a nosebag at the steak of the day,mae rim

Le Crystal World Buffet is a great place ;-) I can agree on that!

"Steak of the day" at mae rim plaza sounds superb!

I wanted to go today, (after reading review), but closed sundays.. Guess i can wait untill tomorrow.

Keep the good restaurants coming here.. I am sure many people likes to try something new sometimes..

Le Crystal World Buffet is a great place ;-) I can agree on that!

"Steak of the day" at mae rim plaza sounds superb!

I wanted to go today, (after reading review), but closed sundays.. Guess i can wait untill tomorrow.

hawky..open tomorrowbiggrin.png

• Like 1

We just came back from a surprisingly good Japanese diner at the restaurant on Heaw Kaew Rd. opposite the Shell gas station just west of Kad Suan Kaew.

I'll admit that I went in with a presupposition that the food would be just OK, the menu choices limited, and the servings small.

I was wrong on all counts! The fish was fresh (although the maguro was just a bit soft from having been frozen a second time, but not enough to throw me,) and delicious, there were dozens of different offerings, and the portions western...er... yeah... not Japanese size, but western size! We had the sushi/sashimi set which included maguro, ebi, tamago, salmon, and kani, served as both sushi and sashimi. I ordered an extra plate of ebi-maki as well. The set came with tsukemono, miso soup, and Japanese rice, served along with the main tray of sushi. Everything was as fresh tasting as I had in Japan, and presented exactly as would be in a restaurant in Kyoto. Even the wasabi was tasty, although it was the powdered wasabi rather than the fresh grated root. As it happens, I prefer the taste of the powdered stuff so I was a happy camper.

Total bill for the two of us (both eating the same dishes) was 584 baht. My only complaint was that they gave me my change of 16 baht all in one baht coins.... Clearly a play for a tip. I have no problem with tipping in a restaurant, especially if there are a handful of coins, but I don't care for such an obvious ploy. Had there been a 10 baht, a five baht, and a one, I'd have left them anyway, and not gone away with a negative feeling.

But on the whole, as far as Japanese restaurants go, I'd go back to this one.

Do you know the name of it. That sounds good. I would have ONLY left the 16 one baht coins in that case and would not have felt bad about it.

Sorry... Although I walk past it almost every day, I've never paid attention to the name. But you can't miss it... It's a double-wide open front restaurant right on the corner, next to Brian's bar (don't know the name of that one either, something starting with a 'P' perhaps?) and then the Salsa Kitchen. It's exactly opposite the Shell gas station and 'BitterSweet.' The corner of the soi that leads to Nakornping Condo.

As for the 16 one-baht coins... that is exactly what I left instead of another 20-30 baht additional. ♫ ♫ ♫

We just came back from a surprisingly good Japanese diner at the restaurant on Heaw Kaew Rd. opposite the Shell gas station just west of Kad Suan Kaew.

I'll admit that I went in with a presupposition that the food would be just OK, the menu choices limited, and the servings small.

I was wrong on all counts! The fish was fresh (although the maguro was just a bit soft from having been frozen a second time, but not enough to throw me,) and delicious, there were dozens of different offerings, and the portions western...er... yeah... not Japanese size, but western size! We had the sushi/sashimi set which included maguro, ebi, tamago, salmon, and kani, served as both sushi and sashimi. I ordered an extra plate of ebi-maki as well. The set came with tsukemono, miso soup, and Japanese rice, served along with the main tray of sushi. Everything was as fresh tasting as I had in Japan, and presented exactly as would be in a restaurant in Kyoto. Even the wasabi was tasty, although it was the powdered wasabi rather than the fresh grated root. As it happens, I prefer the taste of the powdered stuff so I was a happy camper.

Total bill for the two of us (both eating the same dishes) was 584 baht. My only complaint was that they gave me my change of 16 baht all in one baht coins.... Clearly a play for a tip. I have no problem with tipping in a restaurant, especially if there are a handful of coins, but I don't care for such an obvious ploy. Had there been a 10 baht, a five baht, and a one, I'd have left them anyway, and not gone away with a negative feeling.

You only left 16 baht on a 584 bill?? Maybe you were not alone in having a negative feeling. I dont want to kickstart the tipping debate which runs on TV ad nauseum but even my thai gf would tip more than that, and she is a light tipper in my view.

You only left 16 baht on a 584 bill?? Maybe you were not alone in having a negative feeling. I dont want to kickstart the tipping debate which runs on TV ad nauseum but even my thai gf would tip more than that, and she is a light tipper in my view.

in all fairness he did say was thinking of leaving 46 Baht but he was so put off regarding the change he only left 16 Baht.rolleyes.gif

I guess it was necessary for you to ignore my comment; "... that is exactly what I left instead of another 20-30 baht additional" so you could make your post.

But as for tipping, I'm in Thailand, so I generally follow the Thai customs, leaving small change behind. Being American, I might add 10 or 20 baht to it if the service was good... and only if the service was good.

I guess it was necessary for you to ignore my comment; "... that is exactly what I left instead of another 20-30 baht additional" so you could make your post.

But as for tipping, I'm in Thailand, so I generally follow the Thai customs, leaving small change behind. Being American, I might add 10 or 20 baht to it if the service was good... and only if the service was good.

No sorry-I didnt ignore it, I missed. My mistake -it was late at night and I was skim-reading but no excuse. Apologies. I agree- 40baht or so for a close to 600 bill; seems about right here for decent service, even if it wouldnt earn you a smile back home!

Maybe I am naive but it seems a bit of a leap to assume they left 16 x 1baht to generate a tip, especially such a small tip when they would have hoped for more surely.

Maybe just unloading small change before cashing up - but I wouldnt have been thrilled to be landed with 16 small coins either. But hey, life goes on....

No sorry-I didnt ignore it, I missed. My mistake -it was late at night and I was skim-reading but no excuse. Apologies. I agree- 40baht or so for a close to 600 bill; seems about right here for decent service, even if it wouldnt earn you a smile back home!

Maybe I am naive but it seems a bit of a leap to assume they left 16 x 1baht to generate a tip, especially such a small tip when they would have hoped for more surely.

Maybe just unloading small change before cashing up - but I wouldnt have been thrilled to be landed with 16 small coins either. But hey, life goes on....

No harm... no foul. :)

It's my understanding that most Thais working in small shophouse restaurants (such as this one) really don't expect much of a tip so even a few baht is appreciated. 16 baht would be a windfall. As all the rest of my change for the bill was in paper currency, the only possibility for coins would have been the 16 baht, unless the loaded me down with 10-baht coins too. In fact, I would have looked at that as the cashier didn't have bills, and so not noticed all the 1-baht coins. But in this case, all the little buggers stood out glaringly. And for sure, not unloading before cashing up... We finished eating at 6:30pm, just as the place was beginning to fill up. It was simply a ploy for a tip, the next worse thing to a Tip Jar, in my opinion.