CCTV IP Camera System Needed - Where and What Brands?

cigar7

I am looking for a good quality CCTV system with 4 or 6 cameras for a condo. I would prefer to get cameras in the 1.3 -3mp range with IR and wide dynamic range (WDR) contrast with masking and motion detetction, along with a DVR that can take 2 3TB drives, and can stream, and push email/sms to internet.

I would prefer a wired system.

I have visited Tukcom. Any other places in town that would sell such equipment? Any recommendations on make or brands? I have done some research and it seems most of the popular brands are not in Tukcom.

This post maybe helps (not really specific for Pattaya)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/721291-home-security/

Question, why do you want a Security system for a Condo, don't they have their own security system in place ?

Because the condo CCTV system breaks-down often and there have been burglaries in the buildings at times when the CCTV system was unable to record the intruders.

Question, why do you want a Security system for a Condo, don't they have their own security system in place ?

Because the condo CCTV system breaks-down often and there have been burglaries in the buildings at times when the CCTV system was unable to record the intruders.

That sounds bad, so the thief(s) have knowledge when the system is working and not. sounds like an inside job.

And the management not doing anything about it?

I am not 100% up to date, but I believe they work on new website. Best talk to Kilen, he was one of the first computer guys around 18 yrs. ago. Worked for the shop just off Soi 8 on 2nd. Rd. back than. Hard to find European standards here, at least with K. I know they have been around and will be around and he has never let me down and none of my friends neither. Have you thought about WIFI cams, some good stuff around now. Good night. MS>

I'm kinda surprised you couldn't find what you like at Tukcom? There are many shops that sell and install systems there with many different types of cameras.

I'll try to find out who did the install for our village. We've been pretty happy with ours.

That sounds bad, so the thief(s) have knowledge when the system is working and not. sounds like an inside job.

And the management not doing anything about it?

The management are very slow to react. The system is old and breaksdown often and I don't doubt that some people in the condo actually do the breaking. Yes, the breakins could be an inside job, someone guys living in the condo.

I would not ask you to name which Condominium you are talking about as it is against the rules to name and shame, but would like to point out to you and other condo co-owners that the numerous condominiums in Thailand have management that ranges from totally corrupt to exceedingly good.

I was fortunate where I was a co-owner the management was good, the staff always helpful, I am still on the mailing list and received the following email, just a montage of photos entitled “Fire Drill” something lost in the translation as the pictures depict a joint training day with the local Fire and Rescue service which must have been beneficial to all.

Fire drill.pdf

The thing is all co-owners have rights; you should first have an elected committee to which you have voting rights.

The elected committee oversees the management, that in includes the “Juristic Person” the person who keeps everything legal, there will also be an office, security, housekeeping, gardening and maintenance to keep the condo running smoothly.

By law the condo must make copies of accounts available to the co-owners, and hold annual general meetings, now that’s the first problem AGM’s, most co-owners are absentee owners and do not live in their condos and show very little interest when it comes to the AGM, so AGM’s are not quorate, further more by law some things require more than a 50% +1 vote to pass like raising the maintenance fees, this was a real problem to my condo because they could not even get 25% of the owner (even with proxies) at the AGM, as it requires (I think it was )76% in favor to raise the maintenance fees it was not able to keep up with inflation, and the sink fund was nearly depleted, in the end they were able to levy an additional charge and now the funds are in better shape.

There are numerous subjects detailing condominium law and owner rights elsewhere on ThaiVisa, but just to say the standard of service and well running of a condominium is down to co-owners tacking an interest, it is they who elect the management committee, and those that do not vote really do not have anybody else to blame other than themselves when the management is ripping off the co.owners.

Edited by Basil B

I hope you are working with the condo management committee /manager on this and not doing this independently. You can't install your system in common areas without everyone's cooperation, no matter how good your intentions.

Understood but in this place you need to watch out and look after yourself. My suggestion is two units in your condo. Both units have motion detect, DVR and notification. You know the second your door opens. They are HD and infrared and capture everything perfectly. Placed appropriately, they can be used to also track and monitor maids as welI. I have personally used this as a way to make sure nothing is taken without my knowledge. I have connected a remote lock/unlock for the door to so I can watch and open it for the maid now all from my mobile when not home and all in real time. It's as cheap as chips to do. It's not a sales pitch it's fact that you can have peace of mind for very little expense. Plus because I am an Aussie, I can relate to most foreign owners well enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by bofhman

I hope you are working with the condo management committee /manager on this and not doing this independently. You can't install your system in common areas without everyone's cooperation, no matter how good your intentions.

Other room owners in the condo have installed cameras outside their unit in common space.

I would not ask you to name which Condominium you are talking about as it is against the rules to name and shame, but would like to point out to you and other condo co-owners that the numerous condominiums in Thailand have management that ranges from totally corrupt to exceedingly good.

I was fortunate where I was a co-owner the management was good, the staff always helpful, I am still on the mailing list and received the following email, just a montage of photos entitled “Fire Drill” something lost in the translation as the pictures depict a joint training day with the local Fire and Rescue service which must have been beneficial to all.

attachicon.gifFire drill.pdf

The thing is all co-owners have rights; you should first have an elected committee to which you have voting rights.

The elected committee oversees the management, that in includes the “Juristic Person” the person who keeps everything legal, there will also be an office, security, housekeeping, gardening and maintenance to keep the condo running smoothly.

By law the condo must make copies of accounts available to the co-owners, and hold annual general meetings, now that’s the first problem AGM’s, most co-owners are absentee owners and do not live in their condos and show very little interest when it comes to the AGM, so AGM’s are not quorate, further more by law some things require more than a 50% +1 vote to pass like raising the maintenance fees, this was a real problem to my condo because they could not even get 25% of the owner (even with proxies) at the AGM, as it requires (I think it was )76% in favor to raise the maintenance fees it was not able to keep up with inflation, and the sink fund was nearly depleted, in the end they were able to levy an additional charge and now the funds are in better shape.

There are numerous subjects detailing condominium law and owner rights elsewhere on ThaiVisa, but just to say the standard of service and well running of a condominium is down to co-owners tacking an interest, it is they who elect the management committee, and those that do not vote really do not have anybody else to blame other than themselves when the management is ripping off the co.owners.

I am well aware of condominium Act and the obligations of management. However, the management continues to not abide by the Act. There is one guy that is the JP and he owns about 30% of the rooms and he does as he pleases. Who enforces the Act?

I'm kinda surprised you couldn't find what you like at Tukcom? There are many shops that sell and install systems there with many different types of cameras.

I'll try to find out who did the install for our village. We've been pretty happy with ours.

90% of the systems at Tukcom are analog, not IP based systems and cameras. Generally, IP cameras offer about 3 times more detail than the standard analog cameras. Analog technology is old. Next, I went to every CCTV vendor in the building over the last 3 days and asked for IP based systems. No vendor could provide full detailed specifications of their camera or NVR or DVR, all they had were sales brochures with some specs, like 6 points about a camera and 6 points about the NVR. Attached is a decent camera spec. How can anyone make an intelligent decision about a system without seeing full specs and comparing the full specs of various systems? Also, warranties and after sales service are very important to my purchase decision, so I would prefer a local shop, rather than getting the equipment from Bangkok or some other country.

2013121210414363052.pdf

Edited by cigar7

I-Tech Pattaya, http://www.itechpattaya.com/home.php

Call Kh. Kilen directly @: 081-295 38 60 (E & T)

Always been happy with his work, just tell him your needs and hang around, when they install.

Good luck. MS>

I'm sure they are a professional outfit, but the English language option of the web site gives a 404 error.

The owners are actually Thai/German , born and raised in Germany and speaks fluent English .

They are good, however not very good when it comes to dealing with problems .

While installing the system and cams they accidentally ( I am sure not intentionally ) burned out a fuse on my phone system .

6 days to come out , endless phone calls and eventually refused to take any responsibility, mind you I spent over 100k.

My advice would be use them but watch them work like a hawk

I'm not trying to be negative about it's but my impression that unless the burglar wears an identifiable name tag the police won't have much interest in the content of a CCTV.

I hope I'm mistaken about that.

Are you speaking based on actual experience?

All Thai adults are electronically photographed for their ID cards and all foreigners are electronically photographed on arrival. That leaves only the illegal immigrants out of the databases. I guess intruders could also wear diguises which renders the cctv movies useless. Facial recognition and comparison software is readily available, some of it is even free. If the CCTV system caputures a good photo of the offender, it should be super easy for the police to run it through their databases looking for a match, with no sweat, sitting in an air conditioned office.

Edited by cigar7

90% of the systems at Tukcom are analog, not IP based systems and cameras. Generally, IP cameras offer about 3 times more detail than the standard analog cameras. Analog technology is old. Next, I went to every CCTV vendor in the building over the last 3 days and asked for IP based systems. No vendor could provide full detailed specifications of their camera or NVR or DVR, all they had were sales brochures with some specs, like 6 points about a camera and 6 points about the NVR. Attached is a decent camera spec. How can anyone make an intelligent decision about a system without seeing full specs and comparing the full specs of various systems? Also, warranties and after sales service are very important to my purchase decision, so I would prefer a local shop, rather than getting the equipment from Bangkok or some other country.

Too true about the vendors not knowing much about their products there. Very frustrating, but I've found that's kinda the norm here in Thailand. If you go to Bangkok, you'll have better luck, but you have to know where to go, and it shoots a whole day getting there and back.

Are any of these cameras what you are looking for? Tomas, who runs that site, is quite knowledgeable.

http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/surveilance-cameras/

"PLENTY IP-Cam, just installed 2, setup with port forwarding a bit tricky, but had great support by their Bangkok staff, fixing a minor mistake in settings in a few minutes via "Team-Viewer". Price about 2'500/piece with all the functions you can imagine, incl. motion detector, alarm, two way audio etc. etc. Very happy with my decision to buy them. Reminder, manuals are not 100 detailed....if you install multiple cams you must assign 'WAN 0' to both or all of the cams in port forwarding! MS>

http://plentycomputer.com/review/review_ipcam_p1.html

Other room owners in the condo have installed cameras outside their unit in common space.

I encourage you to work with the committee and to upgrade the system so all owners benefit and you will have better system than a go it alone approach. As a former committee member I take a very dim few of cowboy owners. If you can't work with the committee to reach a common solution or if the committee is dysfunctional then I would consider moving.

Too true about the vendors not knowing much about their products there. Very frustrating, but I've found that's kinda the norm here in Thailand. If you go to Bangkok, you'll have better luck, but you have to know where to go, and it shoots a whole day getting there and back.

Are any of these cameras what you are looking for? Tomas, who runs that site, is quite knowledgeable.

Thanks for the website but those IP cameras, are the low-end cameras and don't have the required features and functions. I need wide dynamic range (WDR), full 1080p resolution, ONVIF 2.0 compliant, low lux and IR (up to 20 meters), motion detection, vandal proof and ideally vari-focal (motorized would be very nice). Post #21 has a spec. of nice camera I'd like to find in Thailand.

Thanks for the website but those IP cameras, are the low-end cameras and don't have the required features and functions. I need wide dynamic range (WDR), full 1080p resolution, ONVIF 2.0 compliant, low lux and IR (up to 20 meters), motion detection, vandal proof and ideally vari-focal (motorized would be very nice). Post #21 has a spec. of nice camera I'd like to find in Thailand.

Correction, post #19 has the nice camera spec.

go for the Synology NAS, that Tomas is offering,

Synology has the best Software, with their Surveillance Station.

As you already mentioned, you should look for cameras with the ONVIF Standart, to be shure, that they are working with the Synology NAS.

Most of the ppl. I know, order the cameras direct from china,

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=onvif+ip+camera

based on the Tax agreements between Thailand and China, you get your cameras without any thai tax.

To check out, whats the best camera, you should read the Synology Surveillance Forums, to get the feedback from the others.

If you prefer professional service,

the best company in town, SECURITAS,

an international global player, meeting the standarts of insurance companies,

http://www.securitas.com/th/en/About-us/Thailand/Securitas-Pattaya/

ok, may be, the price of a camera is 3x higher, than the market price,

but thats not the point,

in a period of 3 years, the will replace you every broken part, free of charge.

If your house is alone, and there is an alarm, the company is sending you military rangers to your home,

so, - thats the best, you can get in thailand.

Edited by DisainaM

I am well aware of condominium Act and the obligations of management. However, the management continues to not abide by the Act. There is one guy that is the JP and he owns about 30% of the rooms and he does as he pleases. Who enforces the Act?

There is book, I can not find my copy at the moment but it is very informative, as I recall the land registry is one of the bodies responsible for enforcement, I do not know which your condominium is, so do not have a clue as to how many units there are, if it is small and you contact most of the other owners I would start a owners group if you are all of mind the management is not working in favor of all owners.

It may also be a criminal act if the JP is treating some owners more favorably than others (that would be himself too), ie employees of condominium working on his units but not others.

Way forward is too ensure that you and other co-owners take an interest in the affairs of the condominium, request copies of minutes of all meetings and accounts, attend all AGM's and most important see that there are members elected to the committee that are not stogies of the major owner.

Does your condo not have security guards?

It seems most condos use cheap security companies for their guards, have inadequate CCTV which is usually never serviced never mind upgraded and they wonder why they have burglaries.

If I were you, get your Commitee to get one of the international security companies (like the one mentioned in earlier post) to provide guards and CCTV. Can't compromise with standards of security, but get pros to do it, not any of the many cowboys around.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

There is book, I can not find my copy at the moment but it is very informative, as I recall the land registry is one of the bodies responsible for enforcement, I do not know which your condominium is, so do not have a clue as to how many units there are, if it is small and you contact most of the other owners I would start a owners group if you are all of mind the management is not working in favor of all owners.

It may also be a criminal act if the JP is treating some owners more favorably than others (that would be himself too), ie employees of condominium working on his units but not others.

Way forward is too ensure that you and other co-owners take an interest in the affairs of the condominium, request copies of minutes of all meetings and accounts, attend all AGM's and most important see that there are members elected to the committee that are not stogies of the major owner.

For years, many co-owners have taken an interest. The JP calls the AGM without proper notice to the owners according to the Condo Act, invites condo employees to the AGM, co-owner requests of minutes, accounts, are not answered nor provided by the JP, complaints to the Land Office and the Consumer Protection Board have resulted in no action or results. Some people in the condo believe the JP does not pay maintenance fees for all his rooms, and the JP converted common property into rental property, and no one knows where the rent goes. All the board members are the major owner's stogies and do what the JP commands.

Edited by cigar7

Not that OP asked, but in the end of the day, CCTV is good to have, the only problem is it is somewhat useless, because these days thieves just do not care.

You have people shooting each other right in front of CCTV and not even covering the face, robbers robbing 7-11 stores right in front of CCTV.

Police does not follow up, and thieves know this.

But it does give fake sense of security and makes people feel warm.

The only security i found works well is having 15 dogs, that seems to stop the thieves.biggrin.png

<snip>

go for the Synology NAS, that Tomas is offering,

Synology has the best Software, with their Surveillance Station.

<snip>

I hate to break bad news, but Synology NAS is since a long time on the InvadeIT website listed with the note:

Stock Status: Temporarily Unavailable

And according to them, this will last another couple of weeks/months.

my other source for synology,

https://www.facebook.com/NASSHOP.NET

http://www.nasshops.net/

in my case, it took about 3 weeks, till I got their email with the post tracking no.

• 1 month later...