Ragu Italian country kitchen open at promanada

kcore

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they just opened yesterday. Talking with Dave last night and he said it was going good a little more work to do on the bread and it would be perfect. With Dave doing it you can be assured of quality and cleanliness.

You do realize it is Dave from Dukes.

Yes they just opened yesterday. Talking with Dave last night and he said it was going good a little more work to do on the bread and it would be perfect. With Dave doing it you can be assured of quality and cleanliness.

As we know from the Dukes and the River Market Dave and Quality go hand in hand though I am surprised he opened up another restaurant at Promenada, certainly will give it a try in the near future.

Had dinner there opening night and the snapper was excellent! The garlic bread was also terrific and while I didn't have any wine they do have a nice selection. I'll go back for that flatbread....IT LOOKED DELICIOUS!!! There's only so much I could eat at a time! A VERY NICE addition to Chiang Mai's restaurant scene!!!

Ate there this weekend with a group of friends. What a wonderful restaurant -- you would have thought they'd been open for weeks not a few minutes! The atmosphere is great as is the food.

Come on, Dave, we need restaurant options like this in Maya Mall. Do you know what it's like to go see a movie there and have to eat dinner at the little restaurant in the Rim Ping grocery store? That's NOT an evening out! There's no place to get a good meal at Maya Mall and now we hear you're not coming to Maya. Why do people with cars get to have all the fun of having a night out -- movie and dinner. How about those of us who want to walk down the street for an evening like that?

Edited by NancyL

Cars might be an indicator of disposable income as well as there are other benefits of running a business in an established shopping district.

I look forward to trying Ragu Italian Country Kitchen, thanks for posting for us that don't frequent the malls too often.

So what’s the difference between pizza and flatbread anyway?

If I’m being honest, I don’t really know the answer.

With the bit of research I did, it seemed to all boil down to semantics. That being said, if I were to give them loose definitions I would say pizza uses red sauce and flatbreads do not — also, the pizza crust is more likely to be thin for a flatbread.

that came from a cooking website... guess i will just have to try it myself

Ate there this weekend with a group of friends. What a wonderful restaurant -- you would have thought they'd been open for weeks not a few minutes! The atmosphere is great as is the food.

Come on, Dave, we need restaurant options like this in Maya Mall. Do you know what it's like to go see a movie there and have to eat dinner at the little restaurant in the Rim Ping grocery store? That's NOT an evening out! There's no place to get a good meal at Maya Mall and now we hear you're not coming to Maya. Why do people with cars get to have all the fun of having a night out -- movie and dinner. How about those of us who want to walk down the street for an evening like that?

any new developments on the proposed bus shuttle from inner city to Promenada Mall?

WHat? no pizza? what is flat bread - pizza by another name?

They have good pizza at the Dukes in the same shopping center. Why have it in both places?

Last time I checked there was more than Pizza in an Italian restaurant. Also have to see it but he says that it has a Deli in it.

any new developments on the proposed bus shuttle from inner city to Promenada Mall?

I do not know the schedule but it is listed on the Promenada web page. It would appear from the schedule I have that they are every two hours. I believe they have three or four shuttles going to different areas.

As we know from the Dukes and the River Market Dave and Quality go hand in hand though I am surprised he opened up another restaurant at Promenada, certainly will give it a try in the near future.

And rumor has another one coming soon. Mexican!!! At promanada. The mall that loves to feed!

went there the other night waited 45 minutes to an hour even tho there were 6 people in the restaurant and when i complained about it they said i was "Jai Ron" not sure who the farrang are running it but i really hope dave goes in and sorts it out never really a person to complain on a forum and have been going to dukes restaurants for 10 years and never had a problem but i think it needs a mention so maybe something gets done about it the food was not that good they said to me the sauce would be thick but it came out like water .

would really like dave to open in maya don't know why they pulled out .

went there the other night waited 45 minutes to an hour even tho there were 6 people in the restaurant and when i complained about it they said i was "Jai Ron" not sure who the farrang are running it but i really hope dave goes in and sorts it out never really a person to complain on a forum and have been going to dukes restaurants for 10 years and never had a problem but i think it needs a mention so maybe something gets done about it the food was not that good they said to me the sauce would be thick but it came out like water .

it could be that there is not much business in Maya. been twice now. the 2nd time there could not have been more than 120 people in the entire mall. won't be going back either. terrible location and access for a shopping mall.

Ate at Ragu this week and was not impressed. Had the Italian Sausage and it was very dry, almost like it had been cooked up a day ahead of time and then reheated. Garlic bread was very good. I will give them a 2nd chance and go back and try one of the Ragu dishes. As for the bar, I asked for a mixed drink and was told the bartender had already gone home!! This was at 20:30??

I went on Friday May 2 around noon. Even though it's early days, the place was already quite busy. I had a meatball sandwich which tasted like the real Italian-American thing. I happened to have been in New Haven Ct a few weeks ago which has a large Italian American population. I spent a lot of time eating various Italian sandwiches at a local joint renowned for its offerings. It's been there about 100 years. Ragu's meatball sandwich tasted similar except that the bread at Ragu was definitely better. I will definitely be going back.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So what’s the difference between pizza and flatbread anyway?

If I’m being honest, I don’t really know the answer.

With the bit of research I did, it seemed to all boil down to semantics. That being said, if I were to give them loose definitions I would say pizza uses red sauce and flatbreads do not — also, the pizza crust is more likely to be thin for a flatbread.

that came from a cooking website... guess i will just have to try it myself

They use the flat bread for the Pizza. No comparison to the Pizza in Dukes.

As for cleanliness any of Dave's establishments live up to high standards. Look in his other kitchens.

Yes they do have some problems to work out but over all I found it very good. The pasta serving was as one poster said large and my two Granddaughters shared it. For a small adult it might appear to large. The Garlic bread was the best I have had in Thailand. They do have problems that will need working out as was mentioned in an earlier post. Most restaurants all over the world have problems to work out. While I was there the power went out. Joe Dave's son was having his lunch there and was into the kitchen like a shot and had it sorted out in two minutes The rest of the staff were just stunned Dave came in and was busy in the kitchen helping out. While they had one farong staff member who was more like a piece of the furniture. I saw him look at the till once.

Over all there was 6 of us my wife and her daughter, son in law. and two granddaughters. We all enjoyed are food no question about it. How ever I must admit the wife only liked the garlic bread. She is of the opinion that if the food is not Thai it is no good. Fun to travel with when it comes to eating. I will defiantly be back.

Myself the son in law and one granddaughter liked the vanilla soda. should have got the other three a grapefruit one. LOL they do have one.

• 4 weeks later...

Had lunch there with the wife today.

We both thought it was Excellent

Both food & service wise.

Wife had Spaghetti & Meatballs came with garlic bread

I had the flat bread pepperoni

Very tasty

The flat bread was really nice.

Thin & crisp edged & at 95 baht a great deal I thought.

Tasted the wife's meal & it too was excellent

The meatballs were a beef/pork mix with ricotta ( if I remember the menu correctly )

Serving is bigger than picture depicts & delicious

Glad to have a great spot to go when the urge for Italian strikes.

post-82547-0-54350600-1401104535_thumb.j post-82547-0-85729800-1401104544_thumb.j

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

a recent visit to CM we went to River market and all 6 of us agreed one of worst meals wed ever had and stupidly expensive. Ive eaten in most places during visits to CM including most expensive and some of cheapest and River city was total crap. Maybe they had a off day or something but i and my friends wont be giving them another chance.

We left most of food and went and ate elsewhere it was so bad and we've never done that before

I have been to Dukes more than 10 times and it has been excellent every time. My first visit to Ragu was forgettable at best. We both had pasta and there was a pool of grease on the plate and the meals were served 5 minutes apart.

I've been to the River Market a couple times and thoroughly enjoyed it for what it is (Thai food aimed at foreigners). My Thai wife felt the same. The Duke's Promenada & Ragu have delivered the goods for me too, but after years of eating at The Duke's by the river, the last 2 times I went there it was way below standard, both in terms of the food and the service. From that experience and from the comments I'm seeing here, it looks like maybe as The Duke's world grows bigger & bigger, it's getting hard to keep consistency in the product & with the staff as well. Too bad, it would be a shame to see these places become victims of their own success.

• Like 1

I'm copy and pasting my thoughts on Ragu I posted from "pizza in cm - help!" topic. Not because (ok, not only because) I like the sound of my own voice but that there's a better chance that Dave might see it here as others seem to be in agreement with my feelings.

If your referring to Ragu from the famed Dukes organization I had an acceptable meal there last night. Caesar Salad had bright and correct flavors but missed the creaminess gotten from egg yolk in the dressing (wonder if pasteurized egg yolk can be procured here?). Also the lettuce was cut into rather thin ribbons so difficult to eat as it was non-traditonally served. Kids had pizza off child's menu which was ok and Mac and Cheese tasted great but it was Rigatoni and Cheese (why not just state that on the menu if that's what your serving or show kitchen staff what Macaroni is). My Boneless Beef Short Ribs pasta was fine, lots of meat but not much else incl. other flavors. The over 1000 kinds of pasta are made for a purpose each one being different for a reason, like some are ribbed so the sauce can adheres to it. Rigatoni doesn't cut it in Mac and Cheese as it just loses that total gooeyness that makes it so good. And even though I did order Fettucini with my Ragu the watery consistency of the sauce (how was I suppose to know?) didn't work with the flat, hence slippery, noodles. The house Red was a very nice Italian and would have been fine for 160 bht a glass if the pour wasn't so small it was finished in 4-5 sips. Overall for a 3 week old restaurant it was fine but for 1000 bht for 2 I think some of the rough edges could and should be improved upon.