what to use for hanging pictures in tiled wall

ketherin

Hi all,

As your probably aware due to the silly question I'm not a diy man, in fact don't even own any tools!

However we've just had our condo refurbished and have a nice tiled wall which we want to hang some pictures on.

Is theres any way to do this without drilling holes into the tiles/grouting...thank you

If you use the 3M products (which are excellent), make sure you clean/degrease the tiles leaving no residue thoroughly before adhering the hooks. Meths works well.

Otherwise, your picture will hang there for months and for no apparent reason the hook will let go. Usually at 3am for some unknown reason.

• Like 1

Bet your pics end up on the floor facepalm.gif, there is only one way and that is to drill, rawl-plug and screw. Just measure and mark the spots and get a guy to drill the holes, about 5 minutes work.....thumbsup.gif

I have to agree. I worked in a sport center and despite advice from colleagues I tried with adhesive hooks. Clean with soap, rinse. Clean with alcohol, wait. Stick up picture or whatever, great. Walk in one morning and it was on the floor.

Bet your pics end up on the floor facepalm.gif, there is only one way and that is to drill, rawl-plug and screw. Just measure and mark the spots and get a guy to drill the holes, about 5 minutes work.....thumbsup.gif

I have to agree. I worked in a sport center and despite advice from colleagues I tried with adhesive hooks. Clean with soap, rinse. Clean with alcohol, wait. Stick up picture or whatever, great. Walk in one morning and it was on the floor.

Do not use that steel nail in tile (or anywhere IMHO). Everyone should own a drill and small bit set so would suspect now is a good time to buy as a small hammer drill is not expensive and will help to keep up with the spouse change in mind as to where to hang. Small hole/plug and a hook or screw to hang and they will never fall.

But if you do this pay extra for a diamond tip tile bit - use that without hammer function at slow speed to start hole - then switch to hammer/cement bit when into cement. Should last a long time if you only use for the tile and easy to start in correct position and not break tile. If you do not have that tape over the area first to help keep bit in position as it slides easy on glossy tile.

Do not use that steel nail in tile (or anywhere IMHO). Everyone should own a drill and small bit set so would suspect now is a good time to buy as a small hammer drill is not expensive and will help to keep up with the spouse change in mind as to where to hang. Small hole/plug and a hook or screw to hang and they will never fall.

But if you do this pay extra for a diamond tip tile bit - use that without hammer function at slow speed to start hole - then switch to hammer/cement bit when into cement. Should last a long time if you only use for the tile and easy to start in correct position and not break tile. If you do not have that tape over the area first to help keep bit in position as it slides easy on glossy tile.

Yep, put masking tape on the tile and mark the spot on it, will also steady the drill bit start. If ceramic tiles do not use hammer mode until the drill has gone through the tile glaze. Do NOT use a centre punch on the tile laugh.png .

Just curious why you would not use center punch on tile? I have and it takes out a little chip which is all that's needed to get started.

Most tiles here are fixed with cement, not tile adhesive. IF there is an air gap behind the tile, the tile will disintegrate if a punch is used. sad.png

• Like 2