Surely you must worry about it...........

Last night whilst lying in bed, I started to think about the future. I am an ESL teacher here in Thailand and have been for 5 years now. I am married and here on a non O extension. Most of us get a crap salary but the cost of living offsets this. However what are we all going to do when we hit 50 and schools don't want us because we are 'too old' or not handsome enough? I don't have any preparations for a pension as I am sure many teaching and living here with their families, will not have done so also.

What will you do to provide for yourself and your family in the future? If your wife dies, you have to leave, as a teachers salary won't allow most to save up 800,000 baht to show every year when you reach retirement age. Are you putting off until tomorrow what you should be addressing today?

Admittedly for now, I am fine but what does the future hold for us married ESL teachers here with a family?

It concerns me greatly and recently I have been worrying about it more and more.

Are you just ignoring the inevitable and putting it off until you have to address it? By then, it may be too late !

Your thought please............ wai.gif

• Like 2

Employment is prohibited with an O-A for purposes of retirement, so even if you had the 800K, it really wouldn't last too long without a job. You have to be ready to move for work, if needed. I am 50, and live in Chiang Mai. There is a new truckload of TEFL wannabees arriving daily. Most want to teach here. So, if you're 50, and experienced, they will often times prefer the young and naive. People, who won't have the nerve to ask for a copy of their contract, or people, who think they will actually get their Summer pay. Work Permit, TL, and non-immigrant B also is a big hassle, so they are going to want people willing to work on visa runs (On Saturdays, of course). OTOH, I think they will appreciate you more in places like KK or UTH, and you might be surprised with higher pay.

• Like 1

I hope that you can get a job that pays well and accumulate some savings for the time when you can no longer work. If you can't do that in Thailand, an option is to work in a country that pays very well for a while, then come back to Thailand when your nest-egg is large enough to see you through your twilight years. Good luck.

Employment is prohibited with an O-A for purposes of retirement, so even if you had the 800K, it really wouldn't last too long without a job. You have to be ready to move for work, if needed. I am 50, and live in Chiang Mai. There is a new truckload of TEFL wannabees arriving daily. Most want to teach here. So, if you're 50, and experienced, they will often times prefer the young and naive. People, who won't have the nerve to ask for a copy of their contract, or people, who think they will actually get their Summer pay. Work Permit, TL, and non-immigrant B also is a big hassle, so they are going to want people willing to work on visa runs (On Saturdays, of course). OTOH, I think they will appreciate you more in places like KK or UTH, and you might be surprised with higher pay.

"Employment is prohibited with an O-A for purposes of retirement ..."

No one living in Thailand can get a Non-Imm O-A visa. It would only be available to someone applying at an embassy in his home country or a country (other than Thailand) in which he is legally resident.

Ultimately you are going to have to find a way to generate an income that is independent of traditional employment. I suggest you investigate foreign exchange trading (forex). You can start with a little capital and limit your risk but of course education is key because you have to know what you're doing. The good news is that the education can be gained reasonably cheaply or for free. You can also open a practice account so you won't be risking any real $ while you learn.

PM me if you want help finding suitable education sites but one to start with is all the Ws babypips dot com

Edited by saroq
  • Like 1

Lots of schools will hire you after age 50. Most of my school's NES teachers are well into their fifties.

One new hire is a teacher forced out of the gov't system because he hit sixty. if you are in the government system you can work till 60, then

you move over to private school.

Some schools like the older teachers because we're here for the long haul, whereas, the younger ones are often just travelling through.

Also if you don't have the 800k for retirement extension, get a Non-B and then extension based on work. No need for money in the bank.

Will you be getting anything from your home country when hitting 65?

• Like 1

I've read a lot of opinions on this subject, and what you say is true. Many schools don't want an experienced teacher who know his/her subject. They are well aware that older teachers expect a little more.

I have just started my 10th year here,as a teacher, so i've learnt a bit more than most who are giving you advice.

Low salaries that haven't gone up from the 30k mark for 10 years.

Expected to be at the beck and call of our "superiors".

All the bullshit about them wanting farang teachers and then they try to change you to act like a Thai teacher, it's not on!

I am now 60 and i'm fed up with the "Thainess" , the arrogance of 99% of them, strutting around, looking down their noses at us, who have superior education to them.

Some schools are ok, most are not.

Bangkok is not an option for me, hate the place.

The tourist areas where you are always offer low salaries, Nearly all will try and tell you "we have no money" , when the director rides around in a Benz! Some Thai teachers are on well above 50k, plus some get an extra 11k from Bkk as " experienced experts! Like everything here it's one rule for them and another for us.

One guy said try Taiwan, Korea, China..............he was right, but do it now, don't sit there worrying all the time.

Good luck, i'll enjoy going back to the UK where at least they can speak English.

Don't worry about something you don't know...

Many schools say you have to pay your own insurance after 55.

If you get the right school now - You like them - They like you...

you could stay to 65.(Thai ways/short cuts...)

They want experienced teachers because they CAN teach within Thai "rules"

and because they are medium/long term.

Plus it's easier for concerned to just stamp the paper work ever year

rather than submit for new teachers - every year.

Salaries are now edging up Non-agent ESL THB 35,000

Science THB53,000 (Gross)

Training schools will pay up to THB85,000, when busy (No apartment)

You have a Degree/TEFL-

You should get a Teaching/working Visa AND a Full teacher license...

then everybody will want you

You are not alone worrying about the future. Even those silent ones do but have not voiced out their worries here.

I admire you for having thought about it.

Foreigners teaching here are not entitled for retirement pay or pension and whatsoever from the government, as far as I know.

So, while we have a work and get a salary a little bit more than what we spend everyday, what I have in mind is to set aside

an amount for the future. If we cannot keep to reach that amount that qualifies us for retirement age, at least we have something for, let's say a small business.

Edited by DGIE

Yes good topic thread OP, having hit 50 last year I have started to think about those things too, and it is well worth planning ahead, especially if you have left it a bit late like me. How many stories have I read on here about farang in Thailand topping themselves when they run out of money (and love)? My opinion is you really need to get yourself a nest egg, so you can get to 70. You will need to teach somewhere else to put one together though because 30-40K is just livable for a farang. Vietnam is another option, slightly higher salary and cheaper cost of living. Or back to the mother country for a while. You never quite know how political events will play out in Thailand either, although life usually ploughs on.

I did a Chiang Mai TEFL course late last year mainly to see if I liked teaching, which i did, but have not worked in Thailand. I was given the advice by an experienced Aussie teacher that you really need to make your money at home and then head for Thailand. I have now just started a BEd (secondary maths) full time by distance ed. which will take me two years. Some might think I am a bit old for a career change but I might have to work for another 20 years yet. I want the option of working in Thailand or here in Australia. There are shortages of Maths and Science teachers here too. My plan is to work here and in Thailand and hopefully I can get an International School job which pay a fair bit more than the public secondary schools. Having read a fair bit on forums the Thai public system, apart from paying poorly, does not sound too appealing for a long term gig.

I dont know what your home country is but most of the English speaking countries will give you an aged pension, but the eligibility requirements are always getting more difficult. As I understand it the US, Australia and Canada have pension age of 67 coming in the next 10 years, the UK 68. As every western country has aging populations and less and less taxpayers to support the growing number of retirees things are only going to get harder and harder.

Australia has just started talking about 70 years old, possibly coming in in 2030 the same year I hit 67. The other countries will all follow i am sure. Australia is better prepared than most with a compulsory 9% superannuation system in place for 20+ years now. I know currently if you have worked in Australia for 35 full years you qualify for the aged pension even if you are living abroad. There are some silly rules you have to adhere to like being in Australia at the time you apply at 65. If you are not in Australia at that time you then have to stay in Australia for a further two years before qualifying to get it while living abroad. Currently its roughly $20K for a single and $30K for a couple. Thats about perfect at 48K baht a month for a single; better than a 30K teachers salary. I learnt most of this stuff on the forum here. Cheers.

I am 62 and working as a teacher in Thailand. I worked three years with a government school who wanted me to work illigally because I didnt have a degree and they didnt want the hassle of getting a temporary teachers license or a waver. Immigration and Dept. Labor gave good advice to the school and myself on ways to get around this but the school being lazy or pig headed ignored the advice and I ended up having continuous problems each year. I am now working at a private school which meant a new Non B and work permit. Miracuously no problems this time. Next year I will return to Australia with my Thai wife and work for a couple of years ( I have a job to go to). Retire, wait the necessary two years and then return to Thailand on a retirement visa. It is often stated that the retirement age for teachers in Government schools is 60 but it appears that if the school wants you, you can work until 65 as I and my friend are doing. Also both schools are paying insurance for us.

I faced the problem described here. I have been a teacher all my life and I reached the age of 50 with very little saved for retirement. My wife and I used our savings to pay off the mortgage on a house in BKK and there was little left. One solution, mentioned above, was to try for a higher salary in an international school, but I had no luck there. Another solution is to teach in a country where teachers make much more money, and we chose the UAE. 10 years ago, there was plenty of work here, and the competition for jobs wasn't too great so we were quite fortunate. It's time to make a decision. Good luck!

9 months ago I came back to California with my Thai wife and 2 children with her after 6 years of living in Thailand and couldn't be happier. We all have to go home eventually. Living in Thailand forever is not realistic and quite problematic if you are older and with a family there. I can't imagine subjecting my children to that place again with the frightfully dangerous highways and abominable schools. Thailand is cool for a few years but definitely not forever.

• Like 1

Get on the IELTS/TOEFL/SAT/IGCSE gravy train. Qualified IELTS examiners can boost their earnings by regular testing and exam preparation classes pay well. Not difficult to make between 70,000 & 90,000 a month if you can fit in private classes as well.

Can you tell us more?

You are quite right to be concerned. I have several falang friends here who have taught English for years and have nothing in the bank, the market, or any pension to show for it. You've heard the bad--no pension, and not even enough saved to qualify for retirement here.

I conclude your desire is to spend as much time in Thailand as possible, so consider this.

Go back to your home country and find well-paid employment.

If you are a professional teacher, or worse yet, one with some other ill-paid experience, you will have to work there under a good pension plan until retirement age to be able to retire in Thailand.

If you have a decent well-paying profession, it may be possible, if you are fortunate, to work there a few years and return with enough invested to go back to teaching and managing your investments for retirement.

If neither of the above suits you, I don't blame you.

I suggest you look around at the other younger falangs living and working in Thailand. Some will hold good-paying jobs. Get to know them. Find out for whom they work, what they do, and how well they are remunerated. Research that industry to find potential. The gas and oil or mining industries are a good examples long-term potential. Some of the jobs are based here in Thailand, others are on rotation elsewhere, but when on-shore the employeesy live here.

I am not suggesting you try to find work with them now, unless you already have the skills and experience. I am suggesting you find a job category you think you could fill and go back home and gain the requisite education and/or experience. Then, seek employment here. However, be aware in the future all low-paid, or less skilled, falang jobs will most likely be taken by Thais or ASEAN third country nationals. So, shoot for a more highly-skilled position whose incumbants will still be falang.

Realise that as cheap as you think it is now in Thailand, it will not be so cheap in the future; that you will not always be content with pad thai, sometimes you will want a steak. And, know for sure, illness and old age will join you, if you are lucky enough to live that long. So whatever income you think you need, you will also need insurance.

Plan well.

I was 55 when I started teaching!

I am now 67 and was recently offered a job at an International School in Thailand. I have a BA Bus, BA, BA Ed and TEFL and twelve years of Senior High School experience. I also speak and read reasonable Thai, German, a bit of French and Cantonese and am a native English speaker. I have a fair bit of curriculum development experience and have worked in many countries. My point is that if you have experience then there are people that will hire you regardless of your age. If not then start your own company and hire others.

I believe my biggest asset is that I spent years in marketing and am quite good at selling myself. Also,I am an optimist by nature and truly believe that there is always a solution.

You don't state your qualifications. If you have a degree then I would look at somewhere you can teach that pays well for a few years eg. Saudi or Australia. If you are well qualified then an International School may be the way to go. If not well qualified or don't want to leave Thailand then, as mentioned, you may start to develop a small business.

Most importantly you must realise you have a lot going for you to have made it this far. This could be the start of a really positive part of your life. All you need to do is generate an increased income stream. Remember, there is always a way, and don't let small setbacks or "the black dog" get you down.

• Like 2

You are not alone worrying about the future. Even those silent ones do but have not voiced out their worries here.

Foreigners teaching here are not entitled for retirement pay or pension and whatsoever from the government, as far as I know.

So, while we have a work and get a salary a little bit more than what we spend everyday, what I have in mind is to set aside

an amount for the future. If we cannot keep to reach that amount that qualifies us for retirement age, at least we have something for, let's say a small business.

If you have a work permit and are teaching you can apply for the same pension as a Thai teacher. It is now open to foreign teachers but I do believe there is a time limit and an age limit. You should ask your school or a Thai teacher to get the information for you. Sadly I found out too late.

Get on the IELTS/TOEFL/SAT/IGCSE gravy train. Qualified IELTS examiners can boost their earnings by regular testing and exam preparation classes pay well. Not difficult to make between 70,000 & 90,000 a month if you can fit in private classes as well.

you may be a partner of the courses you mentioned and advertising it

If you have a work permit and are teaching you can apply for the same pension as a Thai teacher. It is now open to foreign teachers but I do believe there is a time limit and an age limit. You should ask your school or a Thai teacher to get the information for you. Sadly I found out too late.

Yes, I do have work permit. That news is new to me. I will surely ask our Thai teacher about it

Can you tell us more?

They're not courses. They are International exams that foreign students need to pass in order to study in an English speaking country.

Anyone with a degree and proper TEFL can train to be an IELTS examiner. Recruiting in Thailand is done by the British Council and IDP Australia.

Teaching IELTS (and the other exams I mentioned) is carried out by most decent language schools and institutes or, once you know what to teach, can be done privately. It tends to pay more than teaching English.

• Like 1

They're not courses. They are International exams that foreign students need to pass in order to study in an English speaking country.

Anyone with a degree and proper TEFL can train to be an IELTS examiner. Recruiting in Thailand is done by the British Council and IDP Australia.

Teaching IELTS (and the other exams I mentioned) is carried out by most decent language schools and institutes or, once you know what to teach, can be done privately. It tends to pay more than teaching English.

Ok, they are international exams.

Do you mean that it is not difficult to earn 70-90,000 Baht by doing private tutoring?

There is a new truckload of TEFL wannabees arriving daily. Most want to teach here. So, if you're 50, and experienced, they will often times prefer the young and naive.

This certainly isn't true for my school. I believe that at least two of the teachers in the English department are over 50, and one of them appears to be in his late fifties or early sixties - and he's Filipino. There are plenty of younger and whiter teachers available but for some reason they want to keep him. Maybe the school understands how expensive turnover is. Maybe the students like him. Maybe they know how much of a PITA it is to process work permits and visas every time there's a staff change. Looking at it sensibly, there are a lot more reasons why a school should than shouldn't do its best to hang on to good teachers.

Do your best to learn the politics of the school and play the cards in your favor. Become a favorite teacher for the students, if you can. Try to offer them a skill set that would be difficult to replace (like subject knowledge in math/science/business/test prep).

I'll be 50 this June but don't feel the pressure the OP is feeling.

Ok, they are international exams.

Do you mean that it is not difficult to earn 70-90,000 Baht by doing private tutoring?

I charge 2,000 baht an hour for private classes. There is no shortage of takers.

On top you can make around 7-9,000 for an IELTS testing session. Plus I have a regular teaching day job @ 68,000 a month plus over-time.

I'm not buying it. Sure, it's a plus for the schools and agencies to grab the more malleable noobs, but you discount your experience. Schools and agencies know full well how many never make it to years end for a multitude of reasons. They don't like thr heat, the food, fell in love, fell out of love, got ripped off, cant handle your booze, cant handle your hookers, caught something nasty, realized the pay was shi* and now want to go to China, Korea, Taiwan absolutely anywhere else to make some (any!) money.

You against the hipsters, if you hot your game on amd your shi* together is at least a wash. You have experience, you should best them.

You are married (asset to your neighborhood/city), assume a Thai made a good choice, you are stable, family life even with no kids is. 100% more settled than single life: no unexcused absences, no tardiness, no hangover workdays (hopefully). There are many reasons that +50 ate employable. I realized this when visiting the tta forum. There are just so many bloody +50 teachers, even near and over 60!

I'm proof of it. Finally got around to looking for a job. I'm near 55. The last month I have been having offers thrown at me from every direction. Every entity that recd my package offered me work, a few multiple schools.

Get your act together, resume cleaned up, transc, diploma, etc...scanned, lose weight, new clothes and go get yourself a job paying 40k. Get some attitude, those little titty babies have nothing on you.

If you came over here with nothing, same like the herd now and have no savings and looking for a Thai govt teaching job to get you thru life, well, that is going to be a rocky road. For starts, you should be on a non imm O (400k, not 800k) "marriage".

For whatever insane reason, idiots still flock to teach here. I guess everyone has to "live the dream' for a year. If they can bankroll it, they live the year in Pattaya. If not, they teach or try to.

I"m always a bit bemused, teaching in Thailand is something ypu stumble into after being here years. Married perhaps, especially. Thailand is NOT the place any self respecting teacher goes to start or even continue a career. Save of course for those so highly qualified as to command salaries above 55k in this day and age

As a first time job seeker, I have found people falling all over themselves to give me work. You are correct though, most pay horribly and most agents cant be trusted farther than you can throw em.

Common sense and confidence will lead you to a good school and or agency. If you are up in Nakon Nowhere whinging about no job, well, move to Bangkok, dry your tears and harden the F up.

There is tonna work for codgers, don't beliebe the drama, it's not true. You have it over them! Now go get a job!

Have you taken the mandatory teachers tests yet? or are you

for some legal reason exempt? Just curious smile.png

I have a dear friend, highly qualified, Harvard Grad, with all the bells and whistles, who outshines

90% of what passes for teachers in this Realm, who has been harrased over age for years and

finally lost his position recently due to age. This is a man highly regarded by his peers and totally

dedicated to his students and his work. It has boggled us (teachers) no end that the "system"

just does not concern itself with the incredible quality it has in this teacher, rather, opting for the

"poster boy/girl" much less qualified but "prettier" to advertise their schools to parents that ultimately

have no clue anyway. Rant over sad.png

When I was advertising for a rural school, I got incredibly qualified teachers who wanted that 30 k B job. Decades in Hong Kong and Korea etc. Alas, they were over 60. But the overriding importance turned out to be the pay, not the age. They hired a guy who never saw the inside of a university for a single day!

Never underestimate directors' financial interests!

Edited by Scott
Font
  • Like 1

I have a dear friend, highly qualified, Harvard Grad, with all the bells and whistles, who outshines

90% of what passes for teachers in this Realm, who has been harrased over age for years and

finally lost his position recently due to age.

He's a falang working in a holiday job.

As much as I would love to live in LOS, I can't kid myself that I could make any meaningful money to save for the future. Some get lucky, but it isn't the time or place for me, yet.

I can make 40000 baht in a day at home along with pension, company medical and death insurance. If I break my leg tomorrow, I will enjoy top rate private medical care and if I die whilst employed, my wife will receive a lump sum. This sum will keep my wife going for some considerable time to come.

I'm biding my time and will approach my planned retirement to LOS from the other angle.

• Like 1

Thailand is no place to make money or generally speaking, forward a career. It might be for some a great place to wind a career down.

Not totally surprised about the Harvard friend. Academics mean nothing, school rep means nothing. Only thing that is important to a Thai is the cost (not value) of something or if someone that person respects says it is important. Too bad his alum assoc cant help, big there.

If you are single, no matter the age and are here for whatever dubious reasons, you know the game and the score. If you are married, esp with kids you will no foubt have a tough row to hoe. Esp if you came over with zero savings and or investments.

Most single men (no shortage) are here for wrong reasons, the most important thing for any person under 55 (all of us really) is saving for old age. It is very possible a number (most) govt pension systems will greatly weaken. So, on addition to no savings, you also have a weakened pension further increased by your lack of contributions.

The real funny thing is there are a number of countries that qualified persons can teach and should!!

Teaching here by my mind is for marrieds, early retirees and fully qualified teachers willing to accept Thailand forwhat it is.

If you don't have a degree and cannot go to other countries, don't like the edginess of Cambodia. You don't have a degree which is a requirment even here so don't cry.

I have a degree from a good school, I think few even noticed it and that includes farang recruiters sadly. I think I did a good job on my resume and my package overall. Hence my suggestions to sort yourselves out.

I do understand at 59 there is (huge) pushback in hiring however unfortunate. At 60 you should not nerd this income to live on in Thailand. Brightside, if US collect 70% pension at 62.

Maybe another large problem for some, you look older rather than younger of your years. Do you still smoke in this day and age? Are you reasonably kind to your liver? Honestly, do you look like a teacher or a punter / dodger?

If you have anything to offer, single. Get your sorry ass to China asap and finish up until your pension kicks in or...

if lile the op, you are floating in Thailand at 50, esp with no investments or savings - problems.

FYI many of us cannot go back. The economy sucks and we no longer exist, we are ghosts. No credit reports, work history, domicile...This will happen to you! Everything is verified thru technology now, if you are 50, I would return simply to return now because it will just be more impoosible later. If not that, ride China out (it already has problems, I have friend 12 yrs there and quit over visa, hassles and paperwork. But, he has his money!).

Good luck and let the big head do the thinking, not the little one. No one here is going to catch you when you fall.