Older Americans repatriating to the USA -- where is good?

It's clear that lots of older American expats in Thailand do not actually spend the rest of their lives here. I'm sure the reasons to leave Thailand are quite varied but I imagine the fact that Medicare isn't honored abroad is one of the big ones. Of course some Americans move to other expat destination countries, but plenty go back home. But if you've been here a long time, "home" isn't "home" so much anymore, as in you can't go "home" again fame.

post-37101-0-05734800-1398720489.jpg

For some of those repatriating where to live is obvious. Maybe they own a home there already or have lots of friends and relatives in one area.

But what if you don't?

Then where?

Well, if you're wealthy, you can go anywhere, Hawaii, San Francisco, Manhattan, etc.

But most people aren't wealthy.

So the intended focus here is to discuss interesting USA choices (that some people might know from personal experience) for older REPATRIATING Americans that are more affordable but still desirable.

Obviously everyone has their own personal priorities on where is a desirable place to live (that they can afford).

There might be some preferences that ex-Thailand expats might tend to have more than others such as a desire for a MILDER or even HOT CLIMATE, access to good Thai food or Asian cooking ingredients, etc.

Personally I would love a FAIR WEATHER cosmopolitan medium sized city where you don't have to own a car, because I've grown to love living without driving. Well, I don't know if such a place exists in the USA that is affordable (San Francisco isn't affordable!), so compromise is in order.

I know some people love to live in the sticks. That's great but I kind of think most people don't, or they wouldn't be the sticks!

To start this off, here is a GREAT LIST of the USA top 100 best places to retire in 2013:

http://www.topretirements.com/blog/great-towns/100-best-places-to-retire-for-2013.html/

The top 20 from that list:

I'm sure some of you have LIVED in some of these places, maybe you live there now.

So people are invited to look at this list and comment on what you think about some of these choices. Also are there some great choices you know about not on the list?

The focus again on more AFFORDABLE places for older (retired?) Americans repatriating from Thailand.

As a place to start, does anyone know about JACKSONVILLE FLORIDA?

I've never been but have heard some good things about it lately.

Anyway, the general gist of this topic has been introduced. Take it from here if you so wish.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jacksonville area has real ocean beaches.

Beautiful beaches. Clean beaches with no one pumping sewage into them. Fairly calm water and warm water.

But beaches aren't my thing, and one goal in leaving LOS would be to ditch the heat and humidity.

Looks like a lot of FL, TX and AZ on the OP list.

A lot of these kinds of retirement lists are driven by details such as places having no state income tax (such as FL and TX).

But I must admit, I've thought a lot lately about where I'd want to go if I ever decided to return to the U.S. And the Medicare issue, as the policy stands now, is a not-insignificant consideration. But personally, I have some number of years before that becomes pertinent for me.

The only place I've ever lived in the U.S. is California, and San Diego rates high especially because of its moderate climate, beaches, attractions, etc etc. They've also been improving their public transit there.

But I'm not sure I'd want to go back to paying CA state income tax, and, although there are cheaper and more expensive housing options everywhere, I doubt San Diego overall would fare too well on any housing affordability comparisons.

• Like 1

Some observations:

Jacksonville is a pretty nice area. Smaller but with a lot of character is St. Augustine.

Charlottesville, VA is a nice, smallish, university town. Good atmosphere and not far from Washington, DC for the cosmopolitan jones.

Asheville, NC is a very popular area, though cold and snowy winters. Many people own vacation homes there.

Naples, Fl is another popular Florida destination, but pricey.

I've spent time in all of the above and St. Augustine would be high on my list. My top pick would be NYC, but too expensive. Elsewise, I've always liked New Orleans and that would probably be my first choice, though rent there is increasing at an alarming rate.

Its an interesting topic.

• Like 1

You can almost always take a list like what's in the OP and wonder if the author has even been there. Take just Portland, Oregon. Housing costs are high and it has a very high annual rainfall and way too many cloudy days. It's in the Willamette Valley in what's called the Pacific Northwest. It can get a ton of ice and snow in the winter.

Orlando Florida and Sedona Arizona are tourist areas with high prices. San Diego has high housing prices and taxes.

In other words, right off the top of my head I could come up with 10 I'd far prefer to that list.

I live on Hawaii Island..on inexpensive land above the Kona(Gold Coast)

We can grow coffee, Cacao and lots of things..I live too high up for that, just cool weather herbs for me at 4,000 feet, but I'm nine miles from beauty..Hopefully in the shade..I'm as poor as they come, buy a Dr Partner g.f. brought me to Thailand to help Her "leave this Earth"..liver probs. She was an author and travelled a lot, so my intro to LoS was different...

If I can sell part of my land, I would come back there..Aloha

I drove taxi for 4 Seasons..otherwise I've been hitching up and down our road and everyone asks me, So how's ----- doing....lots of community..or not. I'm alone in a forest.

Edited by KonaRain

I mentioned Jacksonville Florida and showed some homes for sale only because someone said that a home in Florida would cost $300,000 (nearly 10 mil baht.) I showed some in Jacksonville that were more like $80,000 (2.5 mil bht) and remember, they include outright ownership of the land.

Sure if you think paying annual property taxes forever is considered "outright ownership".

In reality, it is fee simple ownership not absolute ownership.

On Jacksonville, some negatives I've read are:

High crime rate (but possibly mostly in the downtown so you wouldn't live there)

Urban sprawl, very spread out area (but the plus side is a huge choice of housing and prices, including lower priced)

Direct hit hurricane potential (welcome to Florida)

Hot and humid summers but not as hot as south Florida (welcome to Florida)

Colder weather in winter (welcome to NORTH Florida) but this makes it more of a regular (more affordable) place

Lack of business dynamism in general (oh well, retired)

Younger demographic than typical retirement ghettos (positive -- not a retirement ghetto)

I've already concluded a car is required even though they have some public transport

St. Augustine, I did visit when I was a boy and remember it is very lovely, but I think too expensive, perhaps too small, and perhaps too much a old people's ghetto.

As far as South Florida, Miami is a great Latin American city of course but I can't see living there in retirement. Years ago I did visit Fort Lauderdale and liked it and even was actively shopping for real estate but ultimately backed out. (Smart choice, it was during a real estate bubble.) The beach area and in from that is nice but once you get about a mile in where housing is more affordable a lot of it isn't really so nice ... urban sprawl ... slums ... I am wondering if Jacksonville is like that.

OK, I'm wondering, do you think Jacksonville is worth even checking out? I already noticed casually there is more affordable real estate not far in from the ocean ... seemingly different than Lauderdale.

Edited by Jingthing

I would say Savanah Georgia, really nice town , with historic area and good entertainment and culture.

All the modern amenities available with nice weather and just a short drive to the beach

And just for Jing Thing .. Free local transportation (so no more arguing with the nasty baht busses)

The best way to navigate through the Savanah Historic district in on dot. dot is Savannah’s fare-free Downtown Transportation system.

So whenever you visit downtown, connect on the dot – it’s fun, fast, and free!

Express Shuttle

• Every 20 minutes or less

• Serving 11 stops around the Historic District

• Connecting to municipal parking facilities, Visitor Centers, Streetcar and Ferry

• Operating 7 days a week, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

• ADA-Accessible

River Street Streetcar

• Thursday-Sunday - 12noon - 9pm

• Authentic 1930s Melbourne

• 54-passenger streetcar updated with environmentally-friendly green technology

• Six stops along Historic River Street between Montgomery St. & the Waving Girl Landing

• ADA-Accessible

Savannah Belles Ferry

• Modern passenger-only ferries, reminiscent of vessels seen in the harbor a century ago

• Named for Savannah’s “Belles”— strong women who shaped the city’s history

• Connecting downtown with Hutchinson Island and the Savannah International Trade & Convention Center

• Operating 7 days a week, from 7 a.m. to midnight

• From Trade Center Landing

(on Hutchinson Island adjacent to the Westin Savannah Harbor Resort) to

• City Hall Landing below City Hall adjacent to Hyatt Regency Hotel

• Waving Girl Landing in Morrell Park adjacent to the Marriott Riverfront Hotel

Another mode of transportation is the Pedicab, (912) 232-7900. This is “tips for trips” baby! Most of the friendly cabbies are art students or guys/gals looking to stay in shape while making a few as they cruise town. Again at slow speeds like this (unless you got a real stud) you can’t beat the view. Enjoy some good conversation and feel good that you probably paid for a new sketch pad and some pencils. “Picasso?”, probably not, but its still cool to support a dream on your way to your next meal or historic site.

The trolly tours are great for both site seeing and transportation. Old Town, Oglethorpe and Gray Line all have on-off privileges until at 5:30 at areas around town. This is a great way to go if you want to shop and site see simultaneously. Old Savannah Tours now offers a shuttle to and from Tybee Island and the beaches. This is the one time you will need that car of yours. The beach is a 15 minute drive away. But before soaking in the sun you could stop at Fort Jackson, Fort Pulaski and the beautifully restored Tybee Light House.

After 5:30 look into one of the various carriage rides. Its not necessarily public transportation but they have been known to give you a romantic ride to dinner for a small fee :)

There are cabs floating around town. They are more accessible in the evening. Sometimes tough to spot one Mon-Wed. If you really need one, go to City Market, outside the Hyatt on the Bay Street side or if you are in the center of the historic district, go to the Desoto Hilton on Bull and Liberty Streets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I consider Savanah Georgia a great tourist destination like New Orleans, among the top in the USA. Personally I don't see it so much as a retirement destination. The idea of a more regular place is more interesting to me now.

Tax rate in Georgia but if over 62 you can deduct a good chunk of retirement income

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/state-taxes-georgia.aspx

Taxpayers age 62 to 64 or those permanently and totally disabled may exclude up to $35,000 of retirement income. The retirement exclusion is $65,000 if the taxpayer is 65 or older.

Some Georgia residents whose federal adjusted gross income is no more than $19,999 might be eligible for a low-income tax credit.

I consider Savanah Georgia a great tourist destination like New Orleans, among the top in the USA. Personally I don't see it so much as a retirement destination. The idea of a more regular place is more interesting to me now.

I am originally from NY but was stationed at Hunter Army Air Base for a couple years... And loved it there

I can understand your comments about it being a great tourist destination, but it was also a great place to live longer term as well

Have been many places in the US and Savanah was one of the best

• Like 1

Cheaper than Kona..but we have the lifestyle..and lots of Thai food..$8 entrees not tooo bad.

I lived in Vegas in 1960..few changes?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Generalizations of course, but other than warmer climate (most retirees want that anyway) and access to Thai restaurants and/or Asian ingredient stores, are there any other features that returning expats from Thailand would tend to be looking for more than other groups? I can't really think of any ...

OK ... just thought of another. The seeking LOWER COST options might be a general thing for this group. That is because the lower cost of Thailand is definitely a big part of what attracts many expats to Thailand in the first place. It would be different if talking about a group repatriating from the South of France.

Edited by Jingthing

I live simply being a musician living on my own land..catching rainwater..but having been a realtor..almost an amateur..and a high end driver I would need to know what amount one can put towards rent..$700-$1000 get a roomate..or buying land, either way using the rest to enjoy life..buy a 3-D printer and print everything except money..

I live hand to mouth till I sell some ot my cloud forest..

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So JT.. Does this mean you are thinking about moving back state side?

Yes ... but no rush.

I'm still way younger than Medicare age ... I think that will be a big draw at that age.

As far as "Obamacare" expanded Medicaid that generally is NOT on offer in the warmer southern states I am interested in. That might change, but not now.

So right now that would be a big economic disincentive for me personally to move back now to the USA to such a state.

I've been researching alternatives to Thailand for years that aren't the USA.

However, the choices are so limited on my budget, there are the visa and logistics issues, and they generally require a need to become fluent in Spanish.

Being honest about myself, and yes I know Spanish is an "easier" language, I don't think I realistically ever will be fluent in Spanish.

Recently I was even looking at Nicaragua!

Also, the very MECHANICS of being an American expat ANYWHERE are seeming to me to be heading towards even more complexity and bother ... consider the recent enhanced attention on our finances from Uncle Sam and U.S. financial institutions difficult policies towards people living abroad.

Then I thought, this is ridiculous ... I really should consider the USA again, I've been living away for so long that now it's "exotic" to me!

Also the Chinese food (my favorite) is much better in the USA than Thailand (and anywhere in Latin America) even in smaller sized cities like Jacksonville and Austin (I haven't been to either but I can tell just looking at food websites). For Thai food I can cook it in the USA as long as there are Asian grocery stores.

OK, I won't be so subtle here.

Specifically about Jacksonville Florida to anyone who has spent time there, am I crazy to spend my time and money considering this place, or not?

I think Austin Texas is much more on the national radar ... people know it's a great place and I'm sure that it is (though negatives of course, such as being SUPER HOT in summer).

Edited by Jingthing

Here it another aspect to this of the USA vs. other countries for older retired expats choosing to leave Thailand:

what about EMPLOYMENT?

Supposing you want (OR NEED) to continue to do some work in your older years?

If you've been retired in Thailand a long time, it's quite likely you're completely UNEMPLOYABLE in the USA. Firms generally don't even look at resumes now with six month gaps. Try over 10 years and have a good laugh! Not even considering age discrimination which is real even in great economic times.

So you might be interested in starting a small business then.

Well, the USA would generally be a very HIGH COST place to do that.

That was one reason I was looking at countries like Nicaragua (which has a long list of negatives as well). It seems to me you could start a small business in such a place with much less capital than the U.S.

Of course this thread is about USA choices. Just mentioning it as a possible negative to go back there for those interested in making income.

OP, are you thinking of leaving us .? thumbsup.gif

Hopefully, not soon.

I like to have good options.

I've been checking out options for years. Now I'm thinking the USA should be included in the options.

Joking aside, if I had the cash I would love to live in the USA. Keys for me, I felt at home, and I am English............w00t.gif

• Like 1

I mentioned Jacksonville Florida and showed some homes for sale only because someone said that a home in Florida would cost $300,000 (nearly 10 mil baht.) I showed some in Jacksonville that were more like $80,000 (2.5 mil bht) and remember, they include outright ownership of the land.

But if I had no roots I would choose North Central Texas which includes Dallas/Fort Worth. It is in the Great Plains and is surrounded by farm land which encroaches into the undeveloped edges of the various towns surrounding. It has very acceptable weather with 4 seasons, where Jacksonville is hot and humid.

There is a lot of freedom in Texas including the infamous American gun rights. But it isn't a dangerous place. The people in general are very nice with a culture of politeness.

Here is a partial list of homes for sale, again including the land. People tell me that LOS is cheaper, but they can't own the land. This also has first world infrastructure, great medical care at Baylor Medical University and teaching hospital.

Everything here would be cheaper than LOS except utilities and taxes, but that would be offset by consumer prices. I hope by now that most people know that consumer items from cars to TV's to computers to Western food and drink items and even gasoline are cheaper in the US than in LOS.

Some houses for those on a budget: Link Scroll down past the first 4 which are ads. Note there are several pages.

I second that motion -- as my friend Neversure knows - I am from that area... My home was about 25 miles or so north of Fort Worth in Wise County... out in the countryside a bit... One can get small acreage there for a reasonable sum with or without a house already on it... the highway structure allows quick commutes into Fort Worth and suburban towns when the country life requires a change. Texas has a lot of clean air out in places like Wise County, Texas has no income tax, but Texas does have a high sales tax 8.25% - not on food and drugs. Property taxes are a fair bit high in Texas -- but one can hire a consultant lawyer to get them set a the fairest possible rate for a retiree - especially if one has a disability. People are friendly in Texas - but know when to leave you alone... A retired person can do well in N.C. Texas especially if one does not use a lot of gasoline and likes to have a veggie garden plot. it does get hot in the summer -- just like Thailand - but only lasts about 3 to 4 months ... Fall is grand -- long Autumn weather up until Thanksgiving in some years... mostly shirt sleeve or a light jacket... Winter ranges from windy snows to nothing much at all -- extreme low temps happen but not routinely... snow does happen -- roads clog and things stop -- can be quite pleasant actually... If you like close neighbors you can go live in a downtown condo in Fort Worth - a laid back fairly large city with lots of social amenities. I like it in N.C. Texas - but down right detest the women in America ... long story... detestable beings...

Edited by JDGRUEN