Older Americans repatriating to the USA -- where is good?

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you narrow down where in the US you might like to relocate there is a wonderful web site, (sort of like Thai Visa without all the sniping) that can give you good local information regarding transportation, housing, medical care, taxes, etc.

It is broken down by state and has sub forums on specific cities or areas within a state

http://www.city-data.com/forum/#u-s-forums

If taxes are your main concern here is a web site specifically designed to answer state tax questions:

http://www.retirementliving.com/taxes-by-state

That is a great forum I've been a member for years, though rarely visit. You can find forums on every period of time and every sub neighborhood in the US where you spent time or grew up. People reminisce about bars, restaurants, etc, where they used to hang out.

Also if looking for least expensive cost of living.. Can check out the below list

Least expensive cities

http://www.areavibes.com/library/10-cities-lowest-cost-of-living/

Least expensive states

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/the-8-least-expensive-states-to-live-in-the-u-s.html/?a=viewall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by CWMcMurray

Also if looking for least expensive cost of living.. Can check out the below list

Least expensive cities

http://www.areavibes.com/library/10-cities-lowest-cost-of-living/

Least expensive states

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/the-8-least-expensive-states-to-live-in-the-u-s.html/?a=viewall

First, the cities listed are at least 200,000 population. There are cheaper small towns. But I did notice that they listed Fort Worth and early in the thread I chose Dallas/Fort Worth which are right together.

Second, they didn't take into consideration weather.

Third, I vigorously disagree about N. Dakota. That's where they are having the big shale oil boom and you can't find a place to live and fast food joints have to pay $15 an hour or about double the national minimum wage to get help. It also has some of the most bitter cold winters in the US.

I agree with you that it can be much cheaper living outside the city... Also agree that DFW area is a good one

My sister lived in the Dallas suburbs for a number of years before buying a home a bit further to the east in Waco, TX

Been down there more than a few times and is a great area.

Easy to find good food.. Tex/mex & barbecue ... Also all types of food if you go into Dallas

Only thing not a big fan of.... Big Red soda....

Costa Rica is pretty nice for some of my ex hawaiian veteran friends, Surf too. and snakes lol

Back to U.S... Obama Care is everywhere,.

Medicaid is the same as medicare b? doctor visits..etc.

We had a tax attorney on hawaii public radio, showing how to put assets in trust to be able to receive medicaid, along with medicare if old enough. I'm disabled,but new rules allow me to receive food aid, S.N.A.P., even though I own my own farmstead.

Cars are exempt, (1), though it can be anything! I don't have one now.

Big Island is the same latitude as Thailand, with the best weather in the world..Kona side.. and the calmest ocean, like the Mediterranean..on the kona side.

What else.. 75,000,000 were under severe storm watch yesterday..

The big island.. Hawaii has more possible disasters than anywhere..

earthquake, tidal wave, volcanoes, flash flood and brushfires.. forgot 1..oh, yeah Pacific Hurricanes .. but nothing happens.. the 1 ft. Tsunami was kind of neat...

6.7 earthquake didn't bother my wood house.. stucco people had cracks. The ground is more solid here.. in L.A. that's a major shake.

Oh, Hawaii has one of the largest water tables, though drilling is expensive for mere mortals..

One last thing.. we have a million dollar visa in U.S.. Aloha, and forgive me for not using quote function, as I'm on a cell..

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Some clarification about medical care coverage for olders:

Age 65 or over: Medicare, nationally (NOT NEW)

As stated here you still need to purchase additional policy to achieve better coverage

Under age 65:

ACA "Obamacare" in effect nationally (mandates coverage, doesn't provide it, subsidies provided to not wealthy people for premiums, penalties start in 2014 for those without coverage but I believe they are waived for lower income people) (NEW)

Medicaid super poverty program nationally (NOT NEW), you need to be really poor and almost NO ASSETS

EXPANDED Medicaid which was part of original ACA (covering MANY MILLIONS more people somewhat "richer" than super poverty) available only in states doing the program (NEW), generally you the poor level is raised and having assets is allowed

This is relevant here because most of the target milder weather states for retirement have chosen NOT to expand Medicaid.

See map:

post-37101-0-48135900-1398843532_thumb.j

Please let's not get into a super detailed discussion about these programs especially about the POLITICS of them. The relevant point here is that SOME returning expats from Thailand are probably going to be eligible and NEED expanded Medicaid, and the fact is in many of the states it will NOT be available. This matters in planning. Either move to another state or perhaps as a factor not to move back at all before age 65.

Edited by Jingthing

Some clarification about medical care coverage for olders:

Age 65 or over: Medicare, nationally (NOT NEW)

As stated here you still need to purchase additional policy to achieve better coverage

Under age 65:

ACA "Obamacare" in effect nationally (mandates coverage, doesn't provide it, subsidies provided to not wealthy people for premiums, penalties start in 2014 for those without coverage but I believe they are waived for lower income people) (NEW)

Medicaid super poverty program nationally (NOT NEW), you need to be really poor and almost NO ASSETS

EXPANDED Medicaid which was part of original ACA (covering MANY MILLIONS more people somewhat "richer" than super poverty) available only in states doing the program (NEW), generally you the poor level is raised and having assets is allowed

This is relevant here because most of the target milder weather states for retirement have chosen NOT to expand Medicaid.

See map:

attachicon.gifDB_medicaid_map_lg.jpg

Please let's not get into a super detailed discussion about these programs especially about the POLITICS of them. The relevant point here is that SOME returning expats from Thailand are probably going to be eligible and NEED expanded Medicaid, and the fact is in many of the states it will NOT be available. This matters in planning. Either move to another state or perhaps as a factor not to move back at all before age 65.

Getting it back on track. Good for you. I expect we will see more states join up with the expanded Medicaid program as time goes by. Stay tuned.

For a little fun, a satirical look at life in Palm Coast Florida.

Actually it doesn't look so bad.

Not sure I am quite "old" enough yet (in outlook, age probably is) to really be happy in such a place though.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Austin and San Antonio are not necessarily Fair Weather cities. Like most of Texas they will be hotter than Thailand for six months of the year. You'll also need a car. And San Antonio is sort of iffy. Most older expats also need access to quality medical care. That's far better in Dallas and Houston--and the Dallas area is a far better place to live than Houston. That said, I would still try to find a place in Hawaii. I don't know how rich you need to be for that place--but whatever the cost, driving down to the ocean breeze every day is worth it.

What about Austin, Texas?

It's crowded. It used to be the best small city in America--back in the 70s. Now, it's crowded--and with some of the worst people imaginable, politicians. The center of the city is still dominated by UT and the capital. And rental costs are skyrocketing, as hipsters seem to like Austin. You might look at Denton, just north of Dallas. Good road access. But you will need a car.

I'm pretty resigned to needing a CAR most anywhere I could afford to live in the USA. I've lived a lot of my life in great USA cities where you didn't NEED a car. I usually had one anyway but it was parked most of the time. Also of course in Pattaya, no car needed if on baht bus routes. So this isn't a new desire and preference. But can you FORGET how to drive? It's been like 10 years.

Jacksonville continues to interest me. I see it is VERY large and spread out so choice of neighborhood is key because people tend to hang out mostly in their local area if they don't need to go elsewhere. Kind of like Bangkok before the skytrain!

Edited by Jingthing

Austin and San Antonio are not necessarily Fair Weather cities. Like most of Texas they will be hotter than Thailand for six months of the year. You'll also need a car. And San Antonio is sort of iffy. Most older expats also need access to quality medical care. That's far better in Dallas and Houston--and the Dallas area is a far better place to live than Houston. That said, I would still try to find a place in Hawaii. I don't know how rich you need to be for that place--but whatever the cost, driving down to the ocean breeze every day is worth it.

Hawaii is crazy expensive. Rural Texas is my preference.

• Like 1

Not sure I am quite "old" enough yet (in outlook, age probably is) to really be happy in such a place though.

Very funny videos , the presenter has a good sense of humor,

but it is not a retirement community and does not have an age restriction, I think when they mention the 55 years or older , they were trying to be funny.

One Negative about Palm Coast is that they have cameras in every light , and very short yellow lights. A mistake can be expensive,

PS: if you are going to live in Florida a car is a must.

Edited by sirineou

That is what most folks think...but rural areas on outer islands is very affordable.

Of course food that is imported is expensive no matter which island your on.

• Like 1

That is what most folks think...but rural areas on outer islands is very affordable.

I don't think. I know. I've been to both.

I don't think. I know. I've been to both.

Sorry your wrong then....

Trust me I lived there over 50 years as did 8 generations of my family before me & I still own homes there.

I can say you can buy land for $1 a sq foot

You can't eat dirt.

???

Is that it then?

Your wrong & get snippy....heheheh wink.png

Yes you cannot eat dirt nor do you need to since Hawaii is the greenhouse

of the Pacific with soil so rich it literally grows anything you want to plant

Anyway back on topic....yes for those who want it Hawaii is a possible retirement destination

Edited by mania

Snippy? I'm not your wife. We're talking about overall affordability and cost of living. Get real.

Yes we were & some stated facts...some tried to claim they had been tourist there &

deny those facts yet they are still facts.

Living in Rural Hawaii is very inexpensive

You can buy land if you want build a home & still be well under averages

Same goes for renting & there is a glut of rentals available.

Cost of living is low as there is not much to do.

You do things on the land & can grow much of your food if you like. Go to the beach fish etc.

If not your thing then farmers markets are as good there as here in Thailand with most bags of any produce running $2

According to JT's map he posted I guess it also qualifies as one of the better states for expanding Medicaid

Anyway..............it was just an option posted....not a requirement for you personally wink.png

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

but it is not a retirement community and does not have an age restriction, I think when they mention the 55 years or older , they were trying to be funny.

One Negative about Palm Coast is that they have cameras in every light , and very short yellow lights. A mistake can be expensive,

Ah yes, the cameras. All over Miami now as well.

That issue, and the myriad related issues, is only going to get worse in the states, not better.

Which leads to the idea of looking at all the available health care options outside of the states, before I would make a decision to go back permanently. I was recently back for three months and I can tell you it was not a pretty sight. So many things have changed for the worse over the years and with little indication that there is going to be a turnaround. I'm sure that some of my disenchantment is due to getting older and watching the states from a different perspective, but for me, being out of the states for so long and seeing how so many things can be handled better, well...

Exhibit A-moseyed down to my favorite pharmacy the other day and picked up my monthly medication for a song. No bull**** M.D. visit or prescription necessary. You can forget how easy something like that can be, but you will be reminded of it in a hurry stateside.wink.png

Yeah the Palm Coast videos were definitely trying to be funny. On the other hand it is a good quiet place for oldies who want that.

Perhaps repatriation is a last resort for many of us but it's still there for us if we want to go there. Literally.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing

Ah yes, the cameras. All over Miami now as well.

That issue, and the myriad related issues, is only going to get worse in the states, not better.

Which leads to the idea of looking at all the available health care options outside of the states, before I would make a decision to go back permanently. I was recently back for three months and I can tell you it was not a pretty sight. So many things have changed for the worse over the years and with little indication that there is going to be a turnaround. I'm sure that some of my disenchantment is due to getting older and watching the states from a different perspective, but for me, being out of the states for so long and seeing how so many things can be handled better, well...

Exhibit A-moseyed down to my favorite pharmacy the other day and picked up my monthly medication for a song. No bull**** M.D. visit or prescription necessary. You can forget how easy something like that can be, but you will be reminded of it in a hurry stateside.wink.png

No argument there

once I retire to Thailand,in about five years, the only reason I will return to the States would be due to medical reason.

Purchasing medical insurance is not a viable option for me because of a preexisting heart condition, So if I needed major medical, I would have to return to the US. With that in mind, I will give up my FL home and buy a small condominium there.

Easy to maintain when I am not there, easy to rent if need be, and available to me if I need to return.

Because of the Homestead exception act,most property tax revenue is locked in to a limited and predictable growth pattern, so municipalities are scrambling to enhance their revenues in any way available to them, consequently we can expect to see more and more of these cameras and increased user fees such as vehicle registration fees, licensing. etcsad.png

You can't eat dirt.

Papayas and bananas reach the roof almost as soon as house is built..

Speaking of building..I learned how I might use some Bamboo while in Thailand..

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Obamacare has a mandate, as I'm reading here..but according to this show I heard yesterday, it costs 200-300 dollars, or I think someone said it was $500 for the family..here's the story..

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/04/29/301839951/obamacare-enrollees-emboldened-to-leave-jobs-start-businesses ;-)

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app