Austrian tourist given jail time, fine after retracting her sexual assault claims in Dubai

webfact

Tourist given jail time, fine after retracting her sexual assault claims in Dubai

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A tourist who said she had been raped in a car, then retracted her claims, has been handed a two-month jail term for consensual intercourse out of wedlock.

At the court of misdemeanours on Monday, the Austrian, I A, 26, was also fined Dh1,000 for consuming alcohol without a licence.

The man accused of raping her, Yemeni, A A, 27, was also sentenced for two months in prison for sex outside of wedlock.

The court that A A had approached I A in a nightclub and asked her to join him at his table.

Soon after, he suggested they go for a drive in his car.

“Once in the car, I took the back seat and he jumped in the driver’s seat before he moved back next to me,” said I A during an initial interview with police.

She said that he restrained her and then raped her.

“I resisted him at first but then gave in because I was scared, drunk and dizzy,” she said.

The police apprehended A A at his residence in Sharjah, while I A was arrested in her hotel after staff reported that she was drunk.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/45169/tourist-given-jail-time-fine-after-retracting-her-rape-claims-du

-- eTN 2014-04-29

Austrian woman gets jail sentence in Dubai sex case

Vienna/Istanbul - An Austrian woman who says she was a rape victim was sentenced, in absentia, to four months in prison by a Dubai court Monday on charges of having sex and drinking alcohol, the Austrian Foreign Ministry reported.

The 29-year-old Austrian student had reported to Dubai police in early December that she was raped by a 27-year-old Yemeni banker in a hotel garage.

The woman had been detained for three days and stripped of her passport before being allowed to return to Austria in January. She has since not returned to the conservative United Arab Emirates.

The man was also handed a two-month sentence for consensual sex on Monday.

The case is similar to that of Norwegian Marte Deborah Dalelv, who was sentenced to one year and four months in prison in 2013 in Dubai for having made a false police report about being raped, for extramarital sex and for drinking alcohol.

Dalelv spent a short time behind bars, but was soon pardoned.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-29

Most of the people from my home country are unable to study the law of foreign country the want visit!

It's a leak of education , thinking every country have the same law then at home!

No wonder austria is far away from top quality study standarts of other country's!

She shouldn't have accepted to go out with a stranger and in Dubai, Geting drunk is an offense. But I understand why she took her claim back of being raped, trust me had it been a local woman, you would see harsher punishment " life long prison or death penalty even"

And of ourse not to be forgotten the rules are different for Arabmen involved as they are some how connected to power.

Another Amazing Arab world.

How did they prove she wasn't raped?

It doesn't matter. Rape or not, the woman WILL be charged with unlawful sex outside of marriage and be sentenced to prison. Churchill was spot on with what he wrote in "The River War".

Dont you know their Barbaric laws

She needs FOUR MUSLIM MEN who witnessed the rape if she does not have that then she can never prove it

I have said it before any woman that goes to a Muslim country deserves all she gets ignorance of that religion is not an excuse.

Anybody thinking of going to the UAE should inform themselves of its laws and attitudes before they go. And then go somewhere more civilised if they are tourists, or look to get an enormous amount of money if working there. The latter is the only good reason for going to this gross waste of planetary resources that is governed according to a medieval morality.

Most of the people from my home country are unable to study the law of foreign country the want visit!

It's a leak of education , thinking every country have the same law then at home!

No wonder austria is far away from top quality study standarts of other country's!

Most people in the world already have an idea that sex and alcohol in Muslim countries is a bit risky.

I don't think anyone needs to study foreign law to know that.

So here's how it probably went down:

I A goes out clubbing, gets drunk, likes a bit of dark meat so she cosies up to the Yemeni paying for her $30 cocktails and decides she fancies a bit of fun.

Once said Yemeni has emptied the saddlebags, he probably can't wait to get rid of her so dumps her at her hotel in a bad mood.

I A probably lost her key, starts shouting at the staff at reception because she's feeling used and dirty and wants to take it out on someone. Probably asked to calm down, gets abusive and insulting, and....

I A was arrested in her hotel after staff reported that she was drunk.

She then panics and tries to play the victim card and it backfires on her.

Easier solution would just have been to be nice to the hotel staff, go to her room, have a shower and cry herself to sleep before repeating the process the next weekend.

In the Middle East, we refer to them as ASB's, they have been a phenomenon since time immemorial.

And the fatter they are, the more the Arabs love 'em. Bunch of Hippo Hunters.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

After she made the rape claim, the Austrain girl recanted and told authorities it was consensual sex--just reading the article.

The Yemeni banker could have offered the Austrian student a lot more than 500 Dhiram to enjoy the benefits of a lighter sentence--just being a TV poster.

If you go to a medieval country,

Drink alcool.

Have sex.

Anything can happen.

Like having a reason to lie and claim that consensual sex was non-consensual ..

And then having another reason to lie again and claim she lied about having non-consensual sex after all....whistling.gif

Well, Austria ranks in the top ten for four of the categories and in the top 20 in four others of the eight categories in the Quality of life rankings world wide http://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-life/rankings_by_country.jsp. Austria is also #5 in environemnt, #9 in healthcare and #15 in education in the world http://www.photius.com/rankings/greenest_countries_2008.html

So you it is against the law to have sex out of wedlock and you need a license to drink alcohol.

Wonder if the licenses are for one time only or can you get a 12 month one ?

In Abu Dhabi alcohol purchase licenses are issued for one year if you are a legal foreign non-Muslim resident who is employed and your salary is above some minimum amount. That enables you to buy alcohol from certain shops to take to your home. I assume it pretty much the same in Dubai.

Consuming alcoholic drinks in a bar does not require a license and even in the carry-out places no one is overly strict about the licence, Locals often park outside the shops, telephone to a clerk inside and have the liquor handed to them in the car so that they aren't seen entering the place.

It doesn't matter. Rape or not, the woman WILL be charged with unlawful sex outside of marriage and be sentenced to prison. Churchill was spot on with what he wrote in "The River War".

"A high sense of personal honour has counterbalanced a low standard of public justice."