Giving dogs their shots yourself?

Anyone know of any good literature / training materials on how to give shots to dogs yourself? I don't drive in Thailand, and I'm a little outside of town here, making it a pain just for simple shots. I have to get a friend to come by with their truck, schedule an appointment, and pack the dogs all the way into town just to see the vet for 2 mins to get shots. Either that, or I have to bribe a vet to come all the way out here just to spend 2 mins giving the dogs shots. Neither makes any sense.

That, and am I ok just to walk into a vet office, and ask for a couple vials of deworming medicine + some dog flea immunization shots? Is a vet actually going to sell me that, or just laugh at me? I do know one vet in town pretty well, and there's a chance he'd be willing to bend the rules for me, but probably not much. Definitely wouldn't be willing to break the law by selling my medicine he isn't allowed to.

They haven't been dewormed in probably 18 months though, so would like to get that done again. There's something wrong with one of my guys. He's not really sick or anything, but he's shitting every 3 hours, so has something going on in his belly. I'm guessing it's just warm season is here, so bugs are out, and he's eat the grass, so caught a little something. Not worried about it, at least not yet, but wouldn't mind getting him 100% if I can.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Nautilus05

PS. Other reason is because naturally, the dogs hate getting needles. They absolutely hate the regular vet they know, and viciously bark at him when they see him, because well, he's the guy that sticks them with needles, and that's all they know. For that reason too, it'd be easier if I could just do it myself. My dogs won't kick up much of a fuss with me.

Several YouTube videos showing the steps. Also tutorial sites such as this - http://www.wikihow.com/Administer-a-Vaccine-to-a-Dog and this http://www.wikihow.com/Administer-Shots-to-Dogs

The only thing I would change from the video is to inject a small amout of air into the bottle to prevent a vacuum which makes it difficult to draw out medication.

Ohh, it's that simple? Well, my apologies for wasting your time then. I thought there was more of a technique to it than that.

In that case, off I go to the vet tomorrow, to convince him to sell me the medicine. smile.png If it's that straight forward though, I don't see the problem.

Edited by Nautilus05

The video shows the proper way to give an subcutaneous injection (under the skin) where it is slowly absorbed by the body, but some medication needs to be injected directly into muscle. I usually give this type of injection into the muscle of the inner hind leg. Just remember, the needle is very sharp and doesn't really hurt, it's normally the vaccine that hurts or stings when it is injected that causes the disconfort.

I had 14 Irish Wolfhounds and gave all of them their immunizations myself. Just lift the skin between their shoulderblades and inject under the skin. Very little to no pain. None of my dogs reacted in pain to doing it that way. Never heard of direct IM injections.

I also had two Miniature Wire Haired Daschunds.... They kept the hounds in check.... Funny to watch.

Most antibiotics require IM injections to work properly. Rabies and the normal 5 or 6 in one yearly shots are administered SQ. I raised Golden Retrievers, of and on, for over 40 years and did all of my injections. In the "boonies " here it is hard to fing a good vet and I have somehow become the village sticker.

Not to sound like a complete retard, but what's the difference between a IM and SQ injection?

Not a silly question at all.

A IM injection is intra Muscular and is where the injection is delivered directly into a muscle where it is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream. (A jab in the arse is one of the more common IMs in humans)

SQ is subcutaneous where the injection is delivered into the body just below the skin. Most vaccines are done this way.

As for de worming a dog no injections are required. Tablets mixed up in the dog's food are the preferred and common method of de worming. As for fleas, there are many good anti flea shampoos available. No need for injections again.

Not to sound like a complete retard, but what's the difference between a IM and SQ injection?

As for de worming a dog no injections are required. Tablets mixed up in the dog's food are the preferred and common method of de worming. As for fleas, there are many good anti flea shampoos available. No need for injections again.

Thanks for the explantion on IM / SQ injections, and appreciate. Of course I use Frontline, the special shampoo, Bayticol when I mop the floor, give them pills, and things like that. But I thought giving them a booster shot every say 12 - 18 months was quite beneficial? They're both over 2 years old now, and have only had shots once when they were pups -- rabies, deworming, and flea / tick immunization. Of course use the standard stuff, but isn't it also recommended to give them a quick booster once in a while?

Anyway, vet wasn't there today, so will try again another day. Hopefully he sells me the shots though. Would prefer to do it myself, as it's easier for everyone, and the dogs hate that vet. Then again, if someone cut my testicles off, and kept poking me with needles, I probably wouldn't like them much either. :)

Where I live the rabies vaccine is free and is avaiable at the local pet supply store along with the 5 in one booster shots (145 baht). Both need to be kept refridgerated and both are admisted SQ, easy! Local being an 80 round kilometer trip.

I've never seen rabies or 5 in 1 tablets! Dewormers, heartworm and antibiotics yes there are tablets, but if the animal is really sick an injection is more efficient as it is absorbed by the body fatser and then backed up with oral dosages.

Why do you insist on injections when you can administer tablets into their food?

Oh, my one dog is back to being 100% now actually. Was never worried about it, but he had something going on, and whatever it was has run its course and he's back to shitting normally, full energy, and constant smile. I just thought it could be worms, because it was obviously something in his stomach, plus his eyes were a little red.

Nonetheless, this just got me thinking about their shots. They each had 3 shots when they were pups -- rabies, deworming, and fleas / ticks. It's been a couple years, so I'm assuming it's time to shoot them up again. They probably don't need it, but it can only be beneficial for them. As for why injections, I don't know -- I'm not a doctor, so you'd have to ask a vet that one, but that's how they come. I just assumed it was because they're more potent / long lasting, and will help affect the system for a good year, versus a month like the tablets.

So first, should I even bother with getting them booster shots? They're perfectly healthy and problem free, but it's been over 2 years, so should probably get them shot up again, no? I just assumed it was the same as human immunizations. I've never measles or hepatitis, but I've been immunized for them several times.

Assuming yes, what do I all need here? Rabies, 5-in-1, and that's it? Is there anything else I should be getting? If I'm going to do a round of shots, I might as well get them all out of the way for the next couple years.

intereseting about self adminestering rabies. in many countries the rabies vaccines is a gov't controlled injection because the dog is registered as having been given rabies, for obvious reasons.

i also used to do mly own shots but rabies we arent allowed to do; we have to pay a liscense fee that is tied with their microchip number and if spayed/neutered or not; and the fee is less if altered...

make sure u have the proper sized needles and someone is holding the dog... ive had horses, goats and one dog jump and break the needle under the skin... and wheni was first doing goat antibiotic injections that had to be im, i used too much force and hit the bone. that goat never let me get near her again if she saw the syringe in my hand. traumatized me for a long time...

u can order some serums i think over the net... not sure about internationally; and u can also find breeders that vaccinate on their own and have serum left over (plan the day together, like wehn vaccinating chickens. who needs 300 amounts of chicken vaccine for five backyard chickens.?).

bit surprised rabies is sold over the counter like that since its a zoonotic disease , u would think there would be some control over its adminstration... also, what brand, AND, rabies vaccine MUST BE KEPT COOL! or it wont work. we carried ours in a cooler bringing them from the country vet to the private vet clinic.

plus every rabies vaccine ahs sticker bar code that id's the bottle, lot number etc.