Marriage/Family Visa

Hello,

I am 33 years old from Poland. I got here ( Phuket ) Thai wife and 2 children ( 3 years and 7 months old ), my name is present on birth certificate of both . Currently I am here on tourist visa which I already extended and I have to leave Thailand before 25 of May. After that I would like to get a Family or Marriage Visa ( I am not sure if there is a difference ).

Close to 25 of May I plan to go to Penang to get a non immigrant visa type O and then get extensions for 11 months. From what I understand to do so I need a bank account balance 400 000 for 2 months before getting extension. My Thai account looks pretty good about income, but prior to my plan to stay here for good I was sending money to my Thai account and then after day or three money was moved to my wife account. But for a few days now I got about 400 000 bht and before I had steady raise on my balance.

Recently someone told me that I don't have to go to Penang to get marriage visa I can switch my tourist visa to Family/Marriage in Immigration Office.

1 ) Is this true ? Can I switch my visa to non-immigrant without leaving the country ?

2 ) I got extension to stay until 25 of may, until that I will not have a 400 000 bht balance for 60 days, is that a problem ?

3) Does steady every month transfer to my account for the last few years helps ?

I would really appreciate advice what is the best course of action in my case

Best

A Rough Guide.
(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.
OR.
If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.
If Income from Thailand: Statements showing Income Tax receipts.
Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)
Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)
Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.
Your Passport.
Copies of everything.
Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.
A map showing the way to your house.
Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.
Take your Wife to be interviewed.
One or two witnesses may be required.
You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.
Go back in a month and get the remainder.

If the money hasn't been in your account long enough, that is a problem.

You can take your wife and marriage certificate + to immigration and ask for a 60 day extension to visit your wife. Someone will post exactly what is needed.

That gives you time to have the money in the bank long enough.

Towards the end of that 60 days return to immigration and apply for a year extension.

Lite Beer posted what you'll need for that.

Good luck.

In order to get the single entry non-o visa based upon marriage in Penang you will need the money in the bank for 60 days. You may not need to show it at all.

Then during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry from the visa you can apply for the extension of stay based upon marriage. The money will need to be in the bank in your name only for 60 days.

It is possible to do a change of visa status to obtain a non immigrant visa entry based upon being eligible for an extension based upon marriage. The only place you can do this is at Bangkok immigration and would more than likely require 2 trips to get it. It would be best to get your visa in Penang for this reason.

I am married to a Thai and have a daughter,my previous Non O Visas were from Hull, my last i received from Savanakhet recently,question,as the rules are changing and seem to be getting tougher and tougher,I don’t have income of 40,000 or the required amount in my Thai Bank,apart from the obvious,You will have to go home what are likely to be my options if i want to stay. I would love to upgrade to the marriage visa but i won’t make the money requirement,although i have the year left its still playing on my mind.

Edited by dasboot

I am married to a Thai and have a daughter,my previous Non O Visas were from Hull, my last i received from Savanakhet recently,question,as the rules are changing and seem to be getting tougher and tougher,I don’t have income of 40,000 or the required amount in my Thai Bank,apart from the obvious,You will have to go home what are likely to be my options if i want to stay. I would love to upgrade to the marriage visa but i won’t make the money requirement,although i have the year left its still playing on my mind.

The rules have not really changed in the UK now that things have settled out. People have gotten them with no proof of income.

I think Savannakhet will still be the same for some time.

If no multiple entry was possible it could be single entry non-o's and then a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your wife. That would give you about 5 months at a time without leaving.

Or try to save the money to get the one year extension of stay.