Korat ?'s

Jeff1

We flew back on from the Korat airport which is about 30 km from town (likely built on land Taksin & Co own). Flights are 400-600 baht one way. Check Air Asia for details.

Why so much?

Seats are a grand NINE baht each on all flights. 41 baht less than the mini bus to the city:-)

• 2 years later...
:o
Mouse is correct,Ive lived in Pattaya for 12 years with my Korat wife.The majority of girls in Pattaya and Bangkok are from Korat,Surin and Buriram.There is a bar at KS Pavillion Hotel,in the car park,not far from The Mall Shopping Centre,the drinks and food are reasonably priced and they have a live band.

• 1 month later...

Korat is a great city.

I lived in a tiny Burriram Village called Nong Ki about 70 KM to the NE of korat. So I would go to korat of slot of saturdays and stay the night.

There is a good Hotel, Korat Hotel right outside Speed 2 Disco, starts 500 bhat a night, clean but basic in a 70s way.

You have Klang Plaza which is sort of a mall, Chaopro Inn hotel a few 100 metres down, and opposite Klangm you have "The Fun " disco and beside it, Ginza....a top class knocking shop joint.

(In fact there are several around korat ask the tuk tuk).

I liked the Blues Salon, which is out a little from the centre, is a small bar, but rock band plays all western Frang rock music, and the musicans are excellent with a part time sexy girlie singer.

I like to go to the Blue Salon, then you can head to "Update" disco which is open to 6am, and there is a another disco, similar across the road.

Palin Plaza has a few Thai bars with Isan pop music.... and is near one of the best hotels The Sami Thani which is 1800 bhat a night and very nice. and not far from the mall.

There is plenty of thai style Karoke bars with sexy babes, if you can stand the music! LOL!

There is a Chez Andy Swiss Steak house, same as in Samui with great steak.

Korat can appear quiet on the streets, at 10pm on a saturdary night but if you go to Fun, Speed 2, or Update....its is rocking.

The Mall, is a decent big and modern shopping mall, and in the basement down the back where the computer shops is, there is a little bar/restaurant from afternoon to 10pm a guy plays guitar and sings, and sexy girls pour your beer and chat you up. I used to give the GF a few 1000 bhat , send her shopping and spend the afternoon down there, chatting the chicks up! LOL!

Also in town there is IT Square, a big IT Mall.

The good thing about Korat is it is pure Thai and Isan, without being over run by frang like BKK or Pattaya, so you can get a good taste of a real Thai city and how it works without all the tourist crap. This is the real thailand so to speak, and the place where some Isan people come for the occassional days shopping when they have the money.

There is also alot of Japanese Factories in the Korat area.

Yeah, its a bit different when the USA military are there, sort of spoils the vibe a bit, but other than that its well worth a weekend, if you do the homework on where to go.

There is also a zoo outside korat but I have not been.

If your into "adult" fun, it is more discreet but certainly there, and an oil massage can mean alot more than an oil massage! or so I hear! ;-)

I live in Pattaya, but would take a trip back in a few months, just for variety, and a get away from looking at sex tourists on walking street!

I like to be near the sea, and I say being mainly Thai, and to me, it seems a lack to good english speakers, it might be a little harder to live in especially for a younger lad like me.

Personally I did not find any Frang bars, but there was an Irish pub beside the Sami Thai Hotel, I asked about it, and was told the owner an Irish man died recently and the bar closed.

I am sure there is places where a few frang hang out for a chat.

Edited by Gerry290

Now that this thread has been " dug up " again. I as the OP now have a house and life in Korat ( almost ) Planning to move there next year. At the time of my post. I knew of only where my wife took me :D Now that I have been around Korat for awhile, I have found more to do there than I probally should. :o

Now that this thread has been " dug up " again. I as the OP now have a house and life in Korat ( almost ) Planning to move there next year. At the time of my post. I knew of only where my wife took me :D Now that I have been around Korat for awhile, I have found more to do there than I probally should. :D

Oh...so you have been to the top floor of the Peagsus Hotel then too! hee hee! :o

Now that this thread has been " dug up " again. I as the OP now have a house and life in Korat ( almost ) Planning to move there next year. At the time of my post. I knew of only where my wife took me :D Now that I have been around Korat for awhile, I have found more to do there than I probally should. :D

Oh...so you have been to the top floor of the Peagsus Hotel then too! hee hee! :o

Hi Gerry,

No, I never made it that far up. I Did go thru the door, back parking lot side tho. :D

Hi Gerry,

No, I never made it that far up. I Did go thru the door, back parking lot side tho. :D

I think I was in that door too! LOL!!!

• 2 months later...

are there any good nursery/kindergarten & primary school in Korat (not those international schools)?

just thinking of staying in Korat with wife and kids but have no idea about the education system there. Besides the international schools (can't really afford the "expensive" fees), any other options?

thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta agree with the points about things to do in Korat. Unintentional, no doubt, but can come across like the arrogant "travelers" who say Thailand's boring because it's just Khao San Road, Ko Samui, etc., with nothing else to see.

I remember running into a couple of backpackers that had gone up to Kanchanaburi to see the tourist sites and who had gotten about 3 km's off the path. Found them in a little village searching desperately for any farang or for a Thai who could/would speak to them in English.

I love Korat. But not 100% convinced that if one walks under the arch his marriage will last forever!

Korat is a fantastic city .

I have stayed at the Sima Thani Hotel. Lovely hotel ...........huge buffet breakfast. Little bit pricey for korat but i am informed it is one of or is the best hotels At around 1,800 per night, you cant go wrong . Situated not to far from bus station .........50 bht tuk tuk .

http://www.simathani.co.th

Edited by catcrumpet

I went to the Airasia site......it doesn't show Korat or Nakon Ratchasima as a destination.

What did I do wrong here?

Am I right in thinking that the airport is only military ?

Cheers,

Mike

The military one is the only one operating at the moment.

• 2 years later...