Mobi’s - The New Bar on Lake Mabprachan

Mobis

Apple or pear cider try this,

Pint or two pint glass jug, get a bottle or two of that white wine from 7/11( most Thai drunks drink it as it its damned cheap) top it up with fizzy water or soda water ,empty apple or pear juice (thats cheap too ) into it all ,finish off with few ice chunks ,hot afternoon it goes down a treat

Short time rooms would be an added bonus

Thanks for the recipe.

Sorry, short time rooms around the lake are a no-no, without having to pay very large sums of money, and even then you are not guaranteed freedom from raids. A few have tried and have given up.

However there are plenty of cheap rooms within a few minutes drive of Mobi's.

So what you're saying is the local police captain, with his picture on the new posters sprouting around various Pattaya jurisdictions, owns the local short-time hotels scattered about.

I'm not saying that at all.

The area of Lake Mabprachan and most of the Dark Side is under the jurisdiction of amphur Banglamung and the local districts of Nong Prue and Pong and does not come within the remit of the Pattaya City police force.

This is why short time bars are not allowed as it is mainly residential and as such, is not a designated 'entertainment area' where such establishments may exist.

That is not to say there aren't some around, but they have to pay a lot of money to stay in business.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mobis Stop Press!!!

Like most of you, I have been sweltering of late in the hot afternoon sun.

In order to make your stay at Mobis a little more comfortable - should you decide to visit us before sunset - we have introduced 2 innovations that will make life more pleasant:

· Cold face flannels on a regular basis.

· A new sprinkler system which will spray water down over the entrance and side area, thus reducing the ambient temperature of the bar, and which will also provide customers with a pleasant way to cool off should they wish to stroll underneath the sprinkling water.

Bar hours are noon to midnight

If you go into Layla's bar they have this water sprinkler and is very effective, I was in there the other week and thought what a good idea it was...just a shame the owner there is a complete misery who thinks he is doing you a favour getting you a beer. Mind you, he is Welsh!

Wil be rocking up to see ya soon.

I got the same impression about the owner of laylas so i stopped eating their good tasting but limited menu. He also doesnt like kids IMHO!

Pint or two pint glass jug, get a bottle or two of that white wine from 7/11( most Thai drunks drink it as it its damned cheap) top it up with fizzy water or soda water ,empty apple or pear juice (thats cheap too ) into it all ,finish off with few ice chunks ,hot afternoon it goes down a treat

Thanks for the recipe.

Sorry, short time rooms around the lake are a no-no, without having to pay very large sums of money, and even then you are not guaranteed freedom from raids. A few have tried and have given up.

So what you're saying is the local police captain, with his picture on the new posters sprouting around various Pattaya jurisdictions, owns the local short-time hotels scattered about.

The area of Lake Mabprachan and most of the Dark Side is under the jurisdiction of amphur Banglamung and the local districts of Nong Prue and Pong and does not come within the remit of the Pattaya City police force.

This is why short time bars are not allowed as it is mainly residential and as such, is not a designated 'entertainment area' where such establishments may exist.

That is not to say there aren't some around, but they have to pay a lot of money to stay in business.

"Some," try allot. In any case it's fine for places to forgo this amenity too. Many people just want a place to relax and enjoy their drink. When you have a bar with extracurricular activities going on it's a different atmosphere.

attachicon.gifmobi's logo.png

We had an excellent, 'curfew lifting' evening yesterday and the punters just kept coming, giving us our second best day since we opened.

We are working on improving the bar's ambience by removing the gaudy strip lights and replacing them with more subdued lighting; this should happen over the next few days.

Our ever-expanding video playlist of videos and live concerts featuring the jazz and swing greats; from Armstrong to Sinatra, from Glenn Miller to Chris Barber, from George Melly to Diana Krall, from Nat King Cole,Mel Tormé, Tony Bennett and Ella Fitzgerald to Harry Connick Jr and a great many more, both old and new, is proving to be extremely popular.

As our collection grows, our music emphasis will become more on this type of music and less on 'middle of the road' pop and rock.

Of course we will always try to cater for different musical tastes, so please ask us if we have your favourites, and if so, we will be happy to play them.

attachicon.gifIMG_9170.JPG

Got any Little Feat?

• Like 1

post-25991-0-59304700-1401427781_thumb.p

Today’s French Open Tennis from Roland Garros at Mobi's

Starts: 4 p.m.

Philippe Chatrier Court:-

Tursunov v Federer (2nd on court)

Omaechea v Sharapova (3rd on court)

Suzanne Lenglen Court:-

Cilic v Djokovic (2nd on court)

We had an excellent, 'curfew lifting' evening yesterday and the punters just kept coming, giving us our second best day since we opened.

We are working on improving the bar's ambience by removing the gaudy strip lights and replacing them with more subdued lighting; this should happen over the next few days.

Our ever-expanding video playlist of videos and live concerts featuring the jazz and swing greats; from Armstrong to Sinatra, from Glenn Miller to Chris Barber, from George Melly to Diana Krall, from Nat King Cole,Mel Tormé, Tony Bennett and Ella Fitzgerald to Harry Connick Jr and a great many more, both old and new, is proving to be extremely popular.

As our collection grows, our music emphasis will become more on this type of music and less on 'middle of the road' pop and rock.

Of course we will always try to cater for different musical tastes, so please ask us if we have your favourites, and if so, we will be happy to play them.

Got any Little Feat?

Yes. "Dixie Chicken" & "Willin'"

Ask for them when you arrive.....

Got any Little Feat?

Yes. "Dixie Chicken" & "Willin'"

Ask for them when you arrive.....

Vera Lynne,Alma Cogan Sandi Shaw?

post-25991-0-82286800-1401602720_thumb.p

We had an interesting and somewhat eventful conclusion to our first month’s trading, which included no less than three unsavoury incidents – two of them emanating from the adjacent bar, but also involving Mobi’s, one way or another.

And yes, one of them did involve the infamous Singha John, and how Lake Mabprachan's most infamous drunk is still in one piece is frankly beyond my comprehension. Despite his frequent alcohol-fuelled rages at anyone who happens to be around when he snaps, the sot is still standing. Surely it is only a matter of time….

Read all the gory details in Mobi-Babble in this week’s blog, (www.mobithailand.com), due to be published sometime this afternoon, but it may have to be carried over until tomorrow.

Despite these unsavoury incidents, Mobi’s is continuing to attract new customers as well as keep its regulars, and at month’s end, we had the largest afternoon crowd we have ever seen, many of whom stayed until well into the evening, so we must be doing something right.

We are continuing with our predilection for older music, which seems to go down really well, and I would venture to suggest that we may be the only bar in Thailand that provides such musical entertainment – all of it accompanied by live film/video footage on our two large screens.

Of course, as previously stated, we are happy to change the type /style of music if anyone has a particular request.

Sports fans please note that we will continue our live coverage of the French Open from Roland Garros every day until its conclusion next weekend.

If it is not showing when you arrive, please tell the cashier, and she will put it on for you.

All customers please note that as from the 1st June, our “HAPPY HOUR” - when we offer 20% off drinks - will be from Noon until 4 p.m.

Come early and enjoy a bottle of beer for as little as 48 Baht.

post-25991-0-18307100-1401602812_thumb.j

This joint was jumping - a pre curfew knees up!

Thanks for the recipe.

But there are plenty around the lake open 24 hours advertising long and short time rates.

Aiming for a jazzy playlist is really a very good idea. I'm sure we're a lot of people who enjoy this kind of music, and all other places play the usual unbearable middle-of-the-road-sixties/seventies-pop.

You reckon...................w00t.gif .........................I thought jazz was a bit of a niche thing....For me it would be to "drink up quick".....smile.png

• Like 1

Aiming for a jazzy playlist is really a very good idea. I'm sure we're a lot of people who enjoy this kind of music, and all other places play the usual unbearable middle-of-the-road-sixties/seventies-pop.

You reckon...................w00t.gif .........................I thought jazz was a bit of a niche thing....For me it would be to "drink up quick".....smile.png

That's all the OP is after, that customers speed up their drinking.biggrin.png

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with a niche..........if it works no doubt 4 or 5 copy cat Thai bars will open playing the same stuff within 50 metres!

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with a niche..........if it works no doubt 4 or 5 copy cat Thai bars will open playing the same stuff within 50 metres!

Your right, all with one deaf customer..................whistling.gif .......................biggrin.png

Just for you.............smile.png

• Like 1

.... In any case it's fine for places to forgo this amenity too. Many people just want a place to relax and enjoy their drink. When you have a bar with extracurricular activities going on it's a different atmosphere.

Tell me about it! And it all happens in Mobi's. In the same evening!

When I arrived on Sunday evening, there was a quiet, more gentile group watching Judy Garland, then they checked out. Within the hour, we had Mobi's starlets all liquored up and bumpin' an' grindin' to Mos Def and Ludacris.

Someone even rang the bloody bell!!!

Mobi's has any atmosphere you want it too have, just bring it with you. I just hope nobody ever brings in that bloody moon atmosphere that sucks the life out of a bar.

Mobi's is like the weather in Britain, you never really know what you are going to get and the atmosphere can change 4 times a day. One minute you will find a bunch of croners huddled together listening to Judy Garland, and the next minute a good old fashioned scrap will break out with Singa John or the like..

It's the best bar around at the moment.

.... In any case it's fine for places to forgo this amenity too. Many people just want a place to relax and enjoy their drink. When you have a bar with extracurricular activities going on it's a different atmosphere.

Tell me about it! And it all happens in Mobi's. In the same evening!

When I arrived on Sunday evening, there was a quiet, more gentile group watching Judy Garland, then they checked out. Within the hour, we had Mobi's starlets all liquored up and bumpin' an' grindin' to Mos Def and Ludacris.

Someone even rang the bloody bell!!!

Mobi's has any atmosphere you want it too have, just bring it with you. I just hope nobody ever brings in that bloody moon atmosphere that sucks the life out of a bar.

It was that bloody 'Happy' song requested by the drunken, one-legged Dutchman that started everything off!

And we all know who rang the bell, and he did have two legs and he might be voting for independence some time soon....biggrin.png

Anyway, we aim to please, as do Mobi's ladies - who can bump and grind with the best of 'em when the occasion demands.....

Edited by Mobi

Mobi's is like the weather in Britain, you never really know what you are going to get and the atmosphere can change 4 times a day. One minute you will find a bunch of croners huddled together listening to Judy Garland, and the next minute a good old fashioned scrap will break out with Singa John or the like..

Thank you kind sir smile.png

post-25991-0-42353300-1401873442_thumb.p

I am happy to report that Mobi’s first calendar month of trading was most satisfactory, and we have already achieved a steady customer base upon which we can build for the future.

My lovely girlfriend, Lek, and myself have never run a bar before so of course we are both learning as we go, but even if I say it myself, we have come through the first month with flying colours, despite the odd altercation and occasional drunk who seemed hell bent on making mischief.

After all, it’s not exactly rocket science….

Such is bar life, I guess, and to all those who wish to follow Mobi’s bar progress in more detail, including some of amusing and disconcerting events that happen on almost a daily basis, then I urge you to read our adventures on my weekly blog, which can be found at www.mobithailand.com.

None of this would have been possible without the kind and generous support by the readers of Thai Visa Forum and also of my blog, and others who heard of our opening by word of mouth or have simply seen the large sign as they drove around the lake.

To all of you may I express my heartfelt gratitude. Not only did you come by in steady numbers, but many of you have returned again and again, and not a few have been generous in their praise of our modest bar set-up, where we have tried to be a little different from the main stream bars around us.

Probably the most meaningful compliment I have received was from a young gentleman last night, who just so happens to be an investor in the adjacent bar which had just changed hands.

He said that our bar felt very cosy and had a ‘special ambience’ which made him feel really welcome and comfortable. He liked the pool table set up behind the bar and also praised our music choice by saying that although he would never put that kind of music on at home, in the bar it seemed to fit in perfectly.

My only concern is that he may try to copy our formula……

Yesterday, we had our biggest day-time crowd since the bar opened, and long may it continue.

After much consideration, I have finally decided to expand our very modest menu of French Fries and hot dogs.

Nothing too adventurous, but no one is more aware than me that hot dogs and chips can get a bit boring after a while, so after trying out a new item last night, we have decided to add chicken nuggets and chips to our menu in the near future.

I know - not exactly Egon Ronay fare - and yes, it’s yet more junk food… but until we get a proper cook, I have to keep it simple.

We are not trying to compete with the restaurants, but are simply offering some tasty snacks, to dampen your hunger pangs while enjoying a few beers in a pleasant atmosphere.

The new item will be on the menu within the next day or two, and if anyone feels like trying a free sample, come on by this evening after 6 p.m. and we may be able to tempt your palate.

For anyone out there who hasn't already had a drink at Mobi’s, then I urge you to make the journey – I doubt if you will be disappointed.

I didn't know it was a gay bar...I'll come by with a rainbow flag you can fly out front to let people know.

I didn't know it was a gay bar...I'll come by with a rainbow flag you can fly out front to let people know.

Thank you - I look forward to seeing you there.

BTW, can you tell me where you get your flags, as I'm looking to buy some

Flags can be got from Siripron, the stationary shop just up from Foodland, they have a range of sizes and a good range of nationalities.

Flags can be got from Siripron, the stationary shop just up from Foodland, they have a range of sizes and a good range of nationalities.

Thanks CP, I was in there a few weeks ago and didn't notice the flags. I'll take another look.

For some oddball reason, there is a Welsh flag pinned to the ceiling in the centre of the bar and I want to re-dress the balance. Not that I have anything against the Welsh... but I want to be 'demographically fair' to all-comers

post-25991-0-83185700-1402034107_thumb.p

We had a good crowd in yesterday, considering that Thursday is supposed to be the worst bar trading day of the week.

Indeed, for a couple of hours our small complement of staff was run ragged trying to keep up with orders.

But help is on the way, and although there have been a few ‘false dawns’, I am reliably informed that over the next few days we will be adding to our staff numbers by at least two ladies, and quite possibly more.

I will report back when they actually arrive…

I must confess I am receiving conflicting feedback on the type of music our customers wish us to play. Some are very happy with the really old stuff, and others want something more modern – well post 60’s /70’s anyway.

It has been a bit of a juggling act to keep one all happy, but when I am asked to replace Lionel Ritchie with Neil Diamond, I really struggle to understand the music tastes of my happy band of punters….

There are even two friends who have been in over the last two days, one of whom seems to want to listen to way out techno pop, and his friend insisting on Frank Sinatra.

Ah well… I will continue to do my best on this and try to keep everyone happy.

On the Mobi-food front, we rolled out some trial chicken Nuggets last night, and I am delighted to report that one and all said they were absolutely delicious!

So all being well, tonight we will be adding Chicken nuggets to our humble menu of Jumbo Hot Dogs and French Fries.

Come along and give them a try and tell us what you think.

Hope to see some of you there for our Friday night bash…