Mobi’s - The New Bar on Lake Mabprachan

Mobis

We're thinking about doing a weekend quiz-night, ...

Did anything come of this? A quiz is about the only thing that would make me enter any bar anywhere.

Well, maybe free beer.

Forgive me for being a little dim, but when you say 'doing' do you mean running it?

Or are you saying you would like to participate?

I am only asking because I did ask for a volunteer to run it.

So the answer is, if I can find someone to run it, yes, I will consider it very seriously.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-208012-0-21217900-1400390231_thumb.

We had a quiet night after our big night on Friday although a few of our ‘regulars’ dropped by to have a few drinks before moving onto one of the many parties and /or Saturday night karaokes that were on around the Lake.

I had almost given up on any takers turning up for the FA cup final, when at the last ,minute a very pleasant Scottish gentleman turned up with his wife and we all sat and watched the game together which, with extra time, didn't finish until around 1.30.

It was actually a pretty good game, and the girls in particular became very excited – maybe they had some money on it.

Next weekend is the Championship play-off final at Wembley and we will be covering that live as well. The game will start at 9 pm, so it will be finishing at a slightly more civilised hour

post-208012-0-66932700-1400390725_thumb.

post-208012-0-88507400-1400390870_thumb.

post-208012-0-21217900-1400390231_thumb.

DRAFT BEER ANYONE?

Several of our customers have asked why we don’t provide draft beer?

I would love to provide this if there were enough takers, as draft beer has a relatively short shelf-life.

So may I conduct do a rough ‘straw poll’?

I would like to know how many of you regular 'bar drinkers' out there drink draft beer in bars if it is available, and if so, what is your favourite brand?

You don’t have to be a patron of Mobi’s, I just would like to try and gauge the demand for draft beer.

In your reply could you indicate whether you drink in town or on the 'Darkside'.

Thank you,

Mobi

post-208012-0-66932700-1400390725_thumb.

post-208012-0-88507400-1400390870_thumb.

Edited by Mobis

Did anything come of this? A quiz is about the only thing that would make me enter any bar anywhere.

Well, maybe free beer.

Forgive me for being a little dim, but when you say 'doing' do you mean running it?

So the answer is, if I can find someone to run it, yes, I will consider it very seriously.

You said "doing". I quoted you.

I was just wondering from the point of view of a participant.

Well, maybe free beer.

Mobi has got in a pickle here.

Well, maybe free beer.

OK, fine, understood.smile.png

As previously stated , I will 'do' if someone is prepared to host the event and set the questions - free beer all night for the one who 'does' it. So far, no takers.

Anyone???blink.png.pagespeed.ce.AQgCnSOpp_.png

Well after what was probably my worst day, both 'confrontation -wise' and business-wise on Thursday, we then proceeded to have our best day by a country mile yesterday, Friday.

It would seem that there is no such thing as bad publicity as the punters didn't stop coming.

Actually, the increase in business had little to do with my little 'set to' that I wrote about as there was only one customer who had read about it, and others who I asked, had no idea that such an event had transpired.

If was most gratifying to see to many people enjoying the humble comforts and welcoming atmosphere that Mobi's provides, and one large group in particular stayed for almost the entire evening.

The weekend is now upon us, and if any of you are thinking of having a quiet-ish drink around the lake, please drop by and give us a try. You won't forget it.

And don't forget, the first two customers for each of our cocktails listed in post No. 109 above, (excluding B52), will get a 50% discount.

It would seem that there is no such thing as bad publicity as the punters didn't stop coming. Hoping to see round 2, no doubt. Round 2 didn't happen, so quieter Saturday? Keep on chugging Mobi. Drunks in bars, behaving badly. Whatever next?

• Like 1

Well after what was probably my worst day, both 'confrontation -wise' and business-wise on Thursday, we then proceeded to have our best day by a country mile yesterday, Friday.

It would seem that there is no such thing as bad publicity as the punters didn't stop coming.

Actually, the increase in business had little to do with my little 'set to' that I wrote about as there was only one customer who had read about it, and others who I asked, had no idea that such an event had transpired.

If was most gratifying to see to many people enjoying the humble comforts and welcoming atmosphere that Mobi's provides, and one large group in particular stayed for almost the entire evening.

The weekend is now upon us, and if any of you are thinking of having a quiet-ish drink around the lake, please drop by and give us a try. You won't forget it.

And don't forget, the first two customers for each of our cocktails listed in post No. 109 above, (excluding B52), will get a 50% discount.

It would seem that there is no such thing as bad publicity as the punters didn't stop coming. Hoping to see round 2, no doubt. Round 2 didn't happen, so quieter Saturday? Keep on chugging Mobi. Drunks in bars, behaving badly. Whatever next?

Not at all. As stated, only a single punter mentioned that he had read the post. The rest were blissfully unaware that anything untoward had taken place the previous day and even if they had, I doubt whether they would have given it a second thought.

The 'no such thing as bad publicity' sentence was made in jest.

Not too sure what you mean by 'chugging' but I will assume it is something positive...so thank you thumbsup.gif

Edited by Mobis

I would like to give the thumbs up to Mobi’s and his staff. I dropped by with a couple of friends yesterday about 8 pm and left rather ‘w&nkered’ about 3 am.

I would venture to suggest it is not easy to open/run a bar, recruit staff and play ‘mein host’ but Mobi seems to be doing a very good job on all fronts. I will certainly drop by again. smile.png

I would like to give the thumbs up to Mobi’s and his staff. I dropped by with a couple of friends yesterday about 8 pm and left rather ‘w&nkered’ about 3 am.

I would venture to suggest it is not easy to open/run a bar, recruit staff and play ‘mein host’ but Mobi seems to be doing a very good job on all fronts. I will certainly drop by again. smile.png

Thank you kind sir... yes that was quite a session wasn't it? (For you, not me....smile.png )

All in all we had a good crowd in for a Sunday night, long may it continue.

We're still awaiting our first customers for cocktails.....

Anyone for a Mai Tai or a Long Island Tea at half price????

I was there about an hour ago.... maybe too early? One punter on the pool table and another fronted up with one of the distaff interests so I bailed after only the one Tiger. The crap music from next door didn't work for me either.

As they say in Glesgae, "See you later Jimmy!"

If you are thinking of getting draft beer in, get Old Speckled Hen.

I have partaken OSH at Punch & Judy's (a bit too quiet), Queen Vic (b!tch to park but nice software about), Witherspoons (shocking... just shocking. And sad) and that funny, welsh-run place just along the lakeside a bit from you that doesn't do any Thai food so preferring an alternative dark side OSH venue.

PS. What's with the Welsh flag on the ceiling above the wee front bar?

I have partaken OSH at Punch & Judy's (a bit too quiet), Queen Vic (b!tch to park but nice software about), Witherspoons (shocking... just shocking. And sad) and that funny, welsh-run place just along the lakeside a bit from you that doesn't do any Thai food so preferring an alternative dark side OSH venue.

brilliant suggestion. Nowhere does bitter on the dark side, and I do not drink lager.

This would be your USP, matey.

I was there about an hour ago.... maybe too early? One punter on the pool table and another fronted up with one of the distaff interests so I bailed after only the one Tiger. The crap music from next door didn't work for me either.

Sincere apologies if the service was less than perfect.

Its sod's law that today was the latest I have ever been to the bar - I was out all afternoon seeing to a few things - but no excuses, and thanks for pointing out what happens when 'the cat's away'. We must do better.

Yes, the music in the next bar can sometimes be annoying and I try counter it with our own music vids etc., but not to the extent that we have competing music.

The bar next door is in the process of changing hands and when the new owner is on board I will have a chat about his music and see what we can do. I am seriously considering building some kind of wall to negate the effects, should it become necessary....

In the meantime i will lecture the staff yet again on the need to make sure all our customers are made welcome and are treated with the best of attention at all times - not just when I am watching closely....

The Welsh flag was there when I bought the place. I've been thinking of moving it to a less prominent position - If you happen to have one from north of the border, I will be happy to put it up as well.

Several people have suggested O.S-Hen. I'll have to look at the pricing - hate to admit it but it might be a bit pricey for a majority of my customers. I've only shifted two cans of Kepplers Cider in 3 weeks due to the high price.

But I'm open to persuasion....

Edited by Mobi

Sincere apologies if the service was less than perfect.

Its sod's law that today was the latest I have ever been to the bar - I was out all afternoon seeing to a few things - but no excuses, and thanks for pointing out what happens when 'the cat's away'. We must do better.

Yes, the music in the next bar can sometimes be annoying and I try counter it with our own music vids etc., but not to the extent that we have competing music.

The bar next door is in the process of changing hands and when the new owner is on board I will have a chat about his music and see what we can do. I am seriously considering building some kind of wall to negate the effects, should it become necessary....

In the meantime i will lecture the staff yet again on the need to make sure all our customers are made welcome and are treated with the best of attention at all times - not just when I am watching closely....

No worries. It was a scorcher today and I had been out scoping properties down Huaiy Yai way and dropped by on the way home so probably missed you by 30 minutes or so. I had work to do at home or else I would have had another beer.

Your staff was attentive inasmuch as they can be with only 3 customers. After I ordered, they nicely asked if I could park straight as I had done a 'Thai style' all-over-the-shop job on the gravel and when I came back, my cold beer was waiting. There was some pleasant chit chat so it wasn't a total loss with the staff playing with cellphones and tablets which is par for the course in other bars these days.

The Welsh flag was there when I bought the place. I've been thinking of moving it to a less prominent position - If you happen to have one from north of the border, I will be happy to put it up as well.

Several people have suggested O.S-Hen. I'll have to look at the pricing - hate to admit it but it might be a bit pricey for a majority of my customers. I've only shifted two cans of Kepplers Cider in 3 weeks due to the high price.

But I'm open to persuasion....

Maybe the OSH will be a bit pricey and since Laylas Place already has it so maybe not a good call unless you have a much superior ambiance to serve it up in. As an earnest pursuer of OSH, I can't say I have seen droves of fellow OSH'ers sinking multiple pints in any of the 6 (or so) places that have it locally but then again, I visit these places in the afternoon when it all very quiet so maybe OSH will draw in even more customers after it gets darkish. Maybe even me!

Mobi's........
Well with 7000+ views your bar-thread must be the envy of every bar 'owner' around-the-lake [the literate ones anyway] !
Total agreement with NanLaew's comments regarding Old Speckled Hen in the area.
It would be cool for cats... why do you think only of the price? Take a look at the property around you Mr.Publican.smile.png
P.S.
Regarding music choice, how about some...............
Ambient, illbient, noise, electro, electro-bass, electroclash, new wave, synth-pop, italo, techno, minimal techno, dubtechno, dubstep, two-step, grime, drum-and-bass (darkstep, techstep, neurofunk, liquid funk), house (deep, acid, electro, disco, glitch, minimal, micro, funky, filter, tech, progressive), trip-hop, hip-hop, downtempo, IDM, drill-and-bass, rave, nu-school breaks, chemical breaks, breakbeat, breakcore, jungle, disco, nu-disco, lounge, funk, soul, nu-soul, blues, jazz (swing, bebop), nu-jazz, acid-jazz, jazz-rock, jazz-funk, big beat, noise, industrial, grunge, indie, shoegaze, punk, dance-punk, folk, folktronic, classic rock, progressive rock, dance-rock, metal, trance, psytrance, chiptune, classical, and more besides.

Good Luck thumbsup.gif

Another OSH drinker to the thread!

The main issue I see is whether or not you'd be able to sell it fast enough because of its limited shelf life. There are other English bitters available and some may or may not have longer shelf lives. I do know that the Punch and Judy also sells Boddingtons and, from what I have seen, that outsells OSH there by some magnitude. Layla's sells a second one in addition to OSH (Greene King IPA smooth?) so one imagines that if they can stock two then they must be a market for it.

The other factor is of course the price you can afford to sell it at. Witherspoons sell it at 155B a pint during happy hour and a little more at other times. I believe Layla's sell it around 190B.

Given that you probably make around 30-40B (gross) per bottle of beer then if you added, say, 50-60B per pint to your cost price then it might keep the cost within bitter lovers price range. However if you were to add the standard mark up then, given its higher cost price per pint, that might push it beyond the 'glass ceiling' for some.

I appreciate all the comments on OSH and am continuing to ponder the pros and cons of OSH

I am inclined to agree with Nan Laew's honest comments that this beer may be a bit pricey for many of my customers. Many of them are in the 'older age ' bracket and are living on fixed pension incomes. They certainly watch their pennies. This doesn't mean that they are 'Cheap Charlies', but they have their daily budgets for having a drink out on the Lake and OSH may be a bit over their limit.

Others are clearly very ‘well to do’, but these are in the minority.

Of course, as some have said, if I sell OSH it may turn out to be a USP and attract new drinkers to my bar. That is something I will not know for sure unless I try it, but again, as Nan Laew suggests, maybe Layla's and also another place in Pong that I know of, already cater for this minority taste.

In my humble opinion - and I may be wrong - a majority of expat drinkers prefer to drink lager in such a hot climate - I know I did. During my drinking days, lager was my preference, as I found it so refreshing, but whenever I went back to the UK I would revert to drinking bitter.

Right now I am inclined to start off with a lager draft and see how it goes and review the situation in a few months’ time.

As far as shelf life is concerned, my research has revealed that the kegs will keep for a couple of months or more if dispensed with CO2, and the proper temperature and pressure is maintained, so I am less concerned about that than I was before.

Mobi's........
Well with 7000+ views your bar-thread must be the envy of every bar 'owner' around-the-lake [the literate ones anyway] !
Total agreement with NanLaew's comments regarding Old Speckled Hen in the area.
It would be cool for cats... why do you think only of the price? Take a look at the property around you Mr.Publican.smile.png
P.S.
Regarding music choice, how about some...............
Ambient, illbient, noise, electro, electro-bass, electroclash, new wave, synth-pop, italo, techno, minimal techno, dubtechno, dubstep, two-step, grime, drum-and-bass (darkstep, techstep, neurofunk, liquid funk), house (deep, acid, electro, disco, glitch, minimal, micro, funky, filter, tech, progressive), trip-hop, hip-hop, downtempo, IDM, drill-and-bass, rave, nu-school breaks, chemical breaks, breakbeat, breakcore, jungle, disco, nu-disco, lounge, funk, soul, nu-soul, blues, jazz (swing, bebop), nu-jazz, acid-jazz, jazz-rock, jazz-funk, big beat, noise, industrial, grunge, indie, shoegaze, punk, dance-punk, folk, folktronic, classic rock, progressive rock, dance-rock, metal, trance, psytrance, chiptune, classical, and more besides.

Good Luck thumbsup.gif

I appreciate your very detailed suggestions on music choice.

Regrettably, a majority of my clientèle is of a 'certain age' - including me - and we really do prefer a more laid back, 'middle of the road' approach to music.

When there is no live sport on TV, I play a selection of video clips which range from the early sixties, (and even a few from the 50's), up to the present day, but there is no hip hop, rap, techno or club- type music.

There are plenty of other establishments that cater to this need and we prefer our music to be a 'background' to pleasant chat, rather than an end in itself.

last night we all enjoyed a selection of very old trad jazz - much of it in B & W - from such jazz greats as Louis Armstrong, Acker Bilk, Chris Barber and so on. It proved very popular and everyone was tapping their feet.

I also have an extensive library of over 50 rock and pop concerts, ranging from Bublé, to Sinatra to Queen, to Fleetwood Mac to Deep purple, to Led Zepelin, to Elton John, to Meatloaf and a whole load more besides. Customers are able to review the list and request their favourite.

• Like 1

I appreciate all the comments on OSH and am continuing to ponder the pros and cons of OSH

I am inclined to agree with Nan Laew's honest comments that this beer may be a bit pricey for many of my customers. Many of them are in the 'older age ' bracket and are living on fixed pension incomes. They certainly watch their pennies. This doesn't mean that they are 'Cheap Charlies', but they have their daily budgets for having a drink out on the Lake and OSH may be a bit over their limit.

Others are clearly very ‘well to do’, but these are in the minority.

Of course, as some have said, if I sell OSH it may turn out to be a USP and attract new drinkers to my bar. That is something I will not know for sure unless I try it, but again, as Nan Laew suggests, maybe Layla's and also another place in Pong that I know of, already cater for this minority taste.

In my humble opinion - and I may be wrong - a majority of expat drinkers prefer to drink lager in such a hot climate - I know I did. During my drinking days, lager was my preference, as I found it so refreshing, but whenever I went back to the UK I would revert to drinking bitter.

Right now I am inclined to start off with a lager draft and see how it goes and review the situation in a few months’ time.

As far as shelf life is concerned, my research has revealed that the kegs will keep for a couple of months or more if dispensed with CO2, and the proper temperature and pressure is maintained, so I am less concerned about that than I was before.

Mobi. I'm not 100% sure but I think initially the supplier actually comes out and changes the barrel. At least in a small bar close to me that happens .. could be due to dumb staff though!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-25991-0-96097900-1400734396_thumb.p

Mobi’s Weekend Live Sport on TV

Championship Play-off: Derby v QPR

Saturday, 24th May, 9p.m.

Formula One

Monaco Grand Prix – Sunday, 25th May

Practice 1 Thu, 22nd 15:00

Practice 2 Thu, 22nd 19:00

Practice 3 Sat, 24th 16:00

Qualifying Sat, 24th 19:00

Main Race Sun,25th 19:00

Come and enjoy the sport in a friendly atmosphere.

Dear or dear oh dear... here we go with CTH... or rather here we don't go.

Popped by Mobi's this morning to make sure the TV's were working OK as I haven't used CTH for several days and guess what? both are on the blink. Seems to be no signal for God knows what reason

We called CTH and spoke to an engineer in English but he couldn't solve the problem and told me that he would have to send someone to fix it.

OK, fair enough but I have to pay 530 Baht call out charge and they were only here 3 weeks ago fixing everything! And what's more, he couldn't even tell me if the guy will come today or tomorrow....and I am paying 3,600 baht per month for this 'service'.

Later they called us back and as far as we can make out, the guy will probably come today.

I have to report this as it will probably mean that I cannot show the afternoon Formula One practice session this afternoon, not that I seriously expect anyone to brave the scorching afternoon sun to watch it.

I will update you on the CTH situation as it develops.