Mobi’s - The New Bar on Lake Mabprachan

Mobis

Dear or dear oh dear... here we go with CTH... or rather here we don't go.

Popped by Mobi's this morning to make sure the TV's were working OK as I haven't used CTH for several days and guess what? both are on the blink. Seems to be no signal for God knows what reason

We called CTH and spoke to an engineer in English but he couldn't solve the problem and told me that he would have to send someone to fix it.

OK, fair enough but I have to pay 530 Baht call out charge and they were only here 3 weeks ago fixing everything! And what's more, he couldn't even tell me if the guy will come today or tomorrow....and I am paying 3,600 baht per month for this 'service'.

Later they called us back and as far as we can make out, the guy will probably come today.

I have to report this as it will probably mean that I cannot show the afternoon Formula One practice session this afternoon, not that I seriously expect anyone to brave the scorching afternoon sun to watch it.

I will update you on the CTH situation as it develops.

Hi Mobi,

Presumably you don't subscribe to True at your bar, no doubt that would be pricey - the F1 is on Ch680.

I also had a problem with CTH in the last week or so. The decoder was showing a 'Null' message. As I hadn't paid the bill for some time I assumed that was the reason. I paid up but the message still remained.

Called their help line and found that the problem was with the signal and just needed a retune - via auto search. The CTH guy was very good at directing me through the process and it worked just fine.

Sounds like your problem is a but trickier to solve. Best of luck!

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear or dear oh dear... here we go with CTH... or rather here we don't go.

Popped by Mobi's this morning to make sure the TV's were working OK as I haven't used CTH for several days and guess what? both are on the blink. Seems to be no signal for God knows what reason

We called CTH and spoke to an engineer in English but he couldn't solve the problem and told me that he would have to send someone to fix it.

OK, fair enough but I have to pay 530 Baht call out charge and they were only here 3 weeks ago fixing everything! And what's more, he couldn't even tell me if the guy will come today or tomorrow....and I am paying 3,600 baht per month for this 'service'.

Later they called us back and as far as we can make out, the guy will probably come today.

I have to report this as it will probably mean that I cannot show the afternoon Formula One practice session this afternoon, not that I seriously expect anyone to brave the scorching afternoon sun to watch it.

I will update you on the CTH situation as it develops.

Hi Mobi,

Presumably you don't subscribe to True at your bar, no doubt that would be pricey - the F1 is on Ch680.

I also had a problem with CTH in the last week or so. The decoder was showing a 'Null' message. As I hadn't paid the bill for some time I assumed that was the reason. I paid up but the message still remained.

Called their help line and found that the problem was with the signal and just needed a retune - via auto search. The CTH guy was very good at directing me through the process and it worked just fine.

Sounds like your problem is a but trickier to solve. Best of luck!

No I don't have True - CTH is quite enough at 3,600 Baht per month.

I had the same problem as you did only a week after after I got it up and running and they were able to talk me through on the phone how to sort it. (auto search and so on)

That time it was only one box that wasn't working - this time it is both boxes and they both say 'null'. They tried to sort it over the phone but couldn't, and we now have to wait for a site visit.

It seems that many subscribers have similar problems and I now harken back to the days of True when there were less technical problems and I could always sort them with a phone call.

Thanks for your good wishes.

Early night for the next few days at least I'm guessing. whistling.gifblink.png

I was thinking of popping over yesterday evening for pithy, post-coup discussions with like-minded locals. However, I discovered an unopened bottle of Jamesons in the kitchen cabinet...

Mobi

Just a suggestion for when cable has nothing to offer, did you look into FTA ( free to air) sat tv ?

We have sat TV and were showing BBC and Sky news last night after everything was shut down.

Early night for the next few days at least I'm guessing. whistling.gifblink.png

I was thinking of popping over yesterday evening for pithy, post-coup discussions with like-minded locals. However, I discovered an unopened bottle of Jamesons in the kitchen cabinet...

A pity you didn't make it.

We had a small group discussing events, when the local gendarmerie came by at 9 p.m. and told us to turn all our lights off but that we could continue until 10 p.m. in the dark!

We had a few late comers and even a punter at 9.55 who didn't know about the coup and begged a can of cider.

Needless to say he drunk it very quickly and we all had an early night.

Looks like it will be the same today, but come on by and get the latest word on the 'Darkside' street.....biggrin.png

For those who were wondering, we did get our CHT TV up and working again last night - just in time to see every channel shut down in favour of a sign announcing the coup.

I suggest you check with news outlets to ascertain if and when normal programming resumes, and I will try to keep readers updated as to whether or not we will be showing the weekend sport.

If you have been following my bar closure thread you will know that Mobi's will close at any time between 6 p.m and 8 p.m this evening.

We will fall in with whatever the surrounding bars decide to do.

At the present time I have no idea whether we will be showing the Championship play off tomorrow or the Monaco Grand Prix on Sunday, but I have to admit that it looks pretty unlikely.

Anyway, whatever it is I will try to keep you updated.

Many thanks to all those who have given Mobi's a try over the past 3 weeks and I do hope you will return.

wai.gif

Mobi

As I mentioned on the 'bar closure' thread,last night we turned the lights down low at 8.30 and shut up shop around 9.30 p.m. as did the other nearby bars.

We shall do the same today - police permitting.

For the last two nights we have had a nice little crowd in to discuss the latest situation over a few beers. Even Raro and his friend made a brief appearance just before closing time.

It is looking unlikely that I will be able to show the weekend's main sporting events.

The Championship play off tonight is definitely out unless the curfew is miraculously lifted

The Grand Prix starts at 7 pm tomorrow so it is well within our permitted trading hours, but unless permission is given for CTH to transmit foreign programmes, we are somewhat stymied.

I will update the situation as and when....

Hi Mobi.

Looks like the sporting weekend may be saved. Both True and CTH have come back on, minus the international news channels (Sky news excepted) in the last hour or so. Hopefully that will hold for the foreseeable future. Now it just needs the curfew to be relaxed a bit.

Edited by dabhand

We seem to be drifting into a pattern of closing around 9.45 p.m until the curfew is lifted.

Strange though it may sound, the curfew seems to be doing our business no harm and we have been getting a good crowd in every evening to discuss events and share 'curfew' stories.

I am also pleased to report the CTH is now back on air and last night we watched the F1 qualifying and the first half of the Championship play-off, albeit it interrupted twice by announcements from the NCPO.

So all things being equal, we will show the F1 Monaco Grand Prix main race tonight from around 6.45. p.m.

Hope to see some of you there...

French Open Tennis - Live at Mobi's

If anyone is interested, we are able to show the French open tennis live.

If you come and you don't see it on, please ask and we'll put it on for you.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Mobi. About the possible overcharging .. maybe leave the beer bottles at the table AND do a chit each time someone orders.. can't go wrong then .. hopefully!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a good idea and is the system use by many Thai restaurants/drinking places but rarely - if ever used in western style bars.

The punters expect their empties to be removed, and if they weren't, they would run out of space on the table to drink and it would look very cluttered.

The man who claimed we had overcharged was in a party of four on sitting on one of our smaller tables so it would have been chaos if we hadn't cleared away the empties.

Nevertheless I will keep your idea in mind - maybe a box near each table to keep the empties until the bill is paid.

So far this has remained a single incident.

Anyone else have any views/experience on this?

Hi Mobi, best of luck in your venture and wish you well.

I was on a similar path as yours with reference to coming off the sauce and opening a bar, but my time frame was 3 months instead of 3 years and I hope you find it works for you as it did for me.

We moved from Pattaya to Phitsanulok and my wife was worried that I would get bored, so through equal compromises we decided to open a bar/restaurant, she would look after the restaurant, I would look after the bar in the capacity of an unofficial host. Game plan was simple, never chase the investment and as long as the place paid for itself and more importantly as long as we were happy running it, then everything was a go. Truth, I gave it a year.

Almost 13 years later, mostly because of my work commitments, we decided to call it a day and try for a normal life! 18 hour days do catch up with you eventually. Anyway, the points of the above are anything is possible. I have been dry for the last 15 years and we both had a wonderful experience and met a multitude of great people during that time. If I was ever tempted to have a drink, one of the best incentives (I found) was to look at some of the customers and remind myself that I was like that once as well..................thumbsup.gif

As for problems with customers over questionable tabs. Over time you will get to know your customer base, these are very seldom a problem. For the visitors, make sure the staff chits the orders and if necessary, check that they are doing this. At least then you will be able to back the staff up if anything goes wrong with a clear mind. But always remember, mistakes do happen. If you have persistent complainers, and you allow them back, make them sign for each chit.

Apologies for the 'book' I appear to have written above. Once again Mobi, good luck in your adventure.

C.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Mobi. About the possible overcharging .. maybe leave the beer bottles at the table AND do a chit each time someone orders.. can't go wrong then .. hopefully!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

T

Hi Mobi, best of luck in your venture and wish you well.......

.....Apologies for the 'book' I appear to have written above. Once again Mobi, good luck in your adventure.

C.

Thank you for your comments and good wishes.

Yes, looking at the afternoon drunks at the adjacent bar is enough to put a sane man off booze for life, and certainly ‘yours truly’ who has been there and done it all.

So far, there hasn't been a single second when I have been tempted back again…

We only have a small bar and it opens for 12 hours/day and I rarely go there before around 5.30 p.m so I am a long way from your 18 hours/day.

Providing anything more than minimal food will come later, and that will only be after we have more space and find a good cook. You have reminded me that even with a cook this could increase our workload considerably, so I will tread very carefully.

Thanks again,

Mobi

Yesterday, we had a busy late afternoon and evening and it is most gratifying to find that we seem to attracting a small but loyal group of regulars.

For those who have yet to make the journey, and also to those who did but didn't see many 'distaff attractions’ around, we now have four friendly young ladies, not including Mobi’s delightful cashier, all of whom would pass muster in most establishments, so come on over and take a look.

Coverage of the third day's play in The French Open championship will continue from late afternoon, and if anyone is interested, we can also show coverage of the first qualifier in the play-off stage of the IPL cricket league, where the sides that finished first and second compete for a place in the final.

The IPL will start at 9 p.m. so we can only show the first hour of play, unless the curfew is magically lifted.

We seem to be settling into a routine of ‘lights down’ at 8.30,p.m and last orders at around 9.45 p.m.

Apple or pear cider try this,

Pint or two pint glass jug, get a bottle or two of that white wine from 7/11( most Thai drunks drink it as it its damned cheap) top it up with fizzy water or soda water ,empty apple or pear juice (thats cheap too ) into it all ,finish off with few ice chunks ,hot afternoon it goes down a treat

Short time rooms would be an added bonus

Pint or two pint glass jug, get a bottle or two of that white wine from 7/11( most Thai drunks drink it as it its damned cheap) top it up with fizzy water or soda water ,empty apple or pear juice (thats cheap too ) into it all ,finish off with few ice chunks ,hot afternoon it goes down a treat

Thanks for the recipe.

Sorry, short time rooms around the lake are a no-no, without having to pay very large sums of money, and even then you are not guaranteed freedom from raids. A few have tried and have given up.

However there are plenty of cheap rooms within a few minutes drive of Mobi's.

Mobi's Ladies

Some of the young ladies who are working at Mobi's have kindly given their permission to post their pictures in this forum.

We are all one happy family and the ladies are rooting for Mobi's success as much as the owners are.

post-25991-0-37662300-1401258708_thumb.j post-25991-0-97011900-1401258722_thumb.j

post-25991-0-57415200-1401258736_thumb.j post-25991-0-71731200-1401258755_thumb.j

post-25991-0-41333600-1401258769_thumb.j post-25991-0-08608300-1401258788_thumb.j

post-25991-0-58995500-1401258802_thumb.j post-25991-0-67262800-1401258815_thumb.j

post-25991-0-57621900-1401258829_thumb.j

All things being equal, I expect an increase in our distaff complement from 1st June.

Edited by Mobi

Mobi's

Today’s French Open Tennis from Roland Garros at Mobi's

Starts: 4 p.m.

Philippe Chatrier Court:-

Nadal v Thiem (2nd match on court)

Court 1:-

Matosevic v Murray (3rd match on court)

Watson v Halep (4th match on court)

post-25991-0-90088100-1401347627_thumb.p

We had an excellent, 'curfew lifting' evening yesterday and the punters just kept coming, giving us our second best day since we opened.

We are working on improving the bar's ambience by removing the gaudy strip lights and replacing them with more subdued lighting; this should happen over the next few days.

Our ever-expanding video playlist of videos and live concerts featuring the jazz and swing greats; from Armstrong to Sinatra, from Glenn Miller to Chris Barber, from George Melly to Diana Krall, from Nat King Cole,Mel Tormé, Tony Bennett and Ella Fitzgerald to Harry Connick Jr and a great many more, both old and new, is proving to be extremely popular.

As our collection grows, our music emphasis will become more on this type of music and less on 'middle of the road' pop and rock.

Of course we will always try to cater for different musical tastes, so please ask us if we have your favourites, and if so, we will be happy to play them.

post-25991-0-01133300-1401347910_thumb.j

Thanks for the recipe.

Sorry, short time rooms around the lake are a no-no, without having to pay very large sums of money, and even then you are not guaranteed freedom from raids. A few have tried and have given up.

However there are plenty of cheap rooms within a few minutes drive of Mobi's.

So what you're saying is the local police captain, with his picture on the new posters sprouting around various Pattaya jurisdictions, owns the local short-time hotels scattered about.