Passion fruit

Kanga Japan

SAO WAROT and KA TOK ROK FARANG are listed as passion fruits.

Are they the same type of passion fruits, same colour? According to my research:

1. SAO WA;ROT has the scientific name Passiflora Edulis.

2. KA TOK ROK has the scientific name Passiflora foetida (stinking passion flower).

3. KA TOK ROK FARANG - haven't got a clue about the scientific name.

Can anyone help me?

Dear Masuk,

Nelly Kelly passion fruit?? Never heard of that. Interesting name.

Actually, I am only researching the names of passion fruits in Thailand.

I am still trying to find out whether SAO WAROT and KA TOK ROK FARANG are the same passion fruit, the same colour and also the scientific name of KA TOK ROK FARANG.

Thank you anyway for the new information.

Dear Masuk,

Nelly Kelly passion fruit?? Never heard of that. Interesting name.

Actually, I am only researching the names of passion fruits in Thailand.

I am still trying to find out whether SAO WAROT and KA TOK ROK FARANG are the same passion fruit, the same colour and also the scientific name of KA TOK ROK FARANG.

Thank you anyway for the new information.

Nellie Kelly is the most popular passion fruit around Australia.

http://www.nelliekelly.com.au/faqs-about-passionfruit-vines.html

1 Passiflora edulis Sims เบญจวรรณ Ben chawan, กะทกรกฝรั่ง Kra thok rok farang (Bangkok, Chiang Mai) PASSIFLORACEAE

2 Passiflora foetida L. กะทกรก Ka thok rok, รก Rok (Central); กระโปรงทอง Kra prong thong (Peninsular); เครือขนตาช้าง Khruea khon ta chang (Si Sa Ket); ตำลึงฝรั่ง Tam lueng farang (Chonburi); เถาเงาะ Thao ngo, เถาสิงโต Thao sing to (Chai Nat); ผักขี้หิด Phak khi hit (Loei); ผักแค PASSIFLORACEAE

3 Passiflora edulis Sims เบญจวรรณ Ben chawan, กะทกรกฝรั่ง Kra thok rok farang (Bangkok, Chiang Mai) PASSIFLORACEAE

4 Passiflora foetida L. กะทกรก Ka thok rok, รก Rok (Central); กระโปรงทอง Kra prong thong (Peninsular); เครือขนตาช้าง Khruea khon ta chang (Si Sa Ket); ตำลึงฝรั่ง Tam lueng farang (Chonburi); เถาเงาะ Thao ngo, เถาสิงโต Thao sing to (Chai Nat); ผักขี้หิด Phak khi hit (Loei); ผักแค

http://www.qsbg.org/database/botanic_book%20full%20option/search.asp?txtsearch=Passiflora&bnsearch=Search

Edited by Wacoal
  • Like 1

Dear Heavy Drinker,

I don't live in Thailand, but from the research I have been doing on a dictionary I am working on, there appears to be at least 4 types of passion fruits available in Thailand.

Good luck finding them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

When we were in Sa Kaeo province there were passionfruit at many of the fresh fruit markets; I tracked one source, a commercial operation in amphur Khao Chakan, let us pick our own for 20b per kilo

Here in Chanthaburi, where so much fruit is grown, have only seen them for sale 3 times, small quantities, at a fruit market guess just a private grower, 25-30b per kilo. I buy any that I can and freeze it.

I do not know the variety/ies; about twice the size/volume of the ones I once grew in NZ.

Large yellow fruit compared to the purple skinned ones we had in NZ, and a little sweeter too.

Must be a lot of differences in the varieties - I was living in Wellington/NZ and the fruit were picked about time of first winter frosts, May/June.

I was reminded of the prices in June this year when in NZ - in Auckland the New World supermarket chain was selling them at NZ $39.95 per kilo.

In our little circle, one doesn't find many Thai's who can stand the acidic strength of the passionfruit.

Been making a habit of taking passionfruits to the temple for the Monk. He doesn't really like it for himself, but hoes into them, and none are left over for the people to eat later.

He does this, as he wants the skins for making his medicine, and can't go through the trash to retrieve them once the crowd has got to them.

I wonder if you can get those big Panama Passionfruits in BKK these days?

In our little circle, one doesn't find many Thai's who can stand the acidic strength of the passionfruit.

Been making a habit of taking passionfruits to the temple for the Monk. He doesn't really like it for himself, but hoes into them, and none are left over for the people to eat later.

He does this, as he wants the skins for making his medicine, and can't go through the trash to retrieve them once the crowd has got to them.

Passion fruit isn't an appropriate gift for a monk. Because of the seeds they shouldn't eat it.

Passion fruit isn't an appropriate gift for a monk. Because of the seeds they shouldn't eat it.

...yes, but the Monk now is expecting them each time we go temple: 9 passionfruits, one fresh coconut for drink, 6 salted duck eggs and a bottle of Aloe Vera water in addition to all the other stuff wifey had been up hours earlier cooking...

As soon as he lays eyes on them, he knows I have come along that morning - as they're my job to prepare... apparently he prefers how I make his coffee too wai.gif

He grows his own Pomegranates out the back, along with 2 Fig trees...

...yes, but the Monk now is expecting them each time we go temple: 9 passionfruits, one fresh coconut for drink, 6 salted duck eggs and a bottle of Aloe Vera water in addition to all the other stuff wifey had been up hours earlier cooking...

As soon as he lays eyes on them, he knows I have come along that morning - as they're my job to prepare... apparently he prefers how I make his coffee too wai.gif

He grows his own Pomegranates out the back, along with 2 Fig trees...

Time to change temple, methinks. It's absolutely inappropriate for a monk to expect anything. He should accept whatever's offered.

Some monks will mix up all the food they're offered to make a ghastly mess because they're not supposed to enjoy food - it's mere sustenance. This monk certainly isn't of that ilk.

well, he's actually severely Diabetic, and so is right into the fruits. But the main focus is that he's getting the types of fruits that he makes big batches of trad' medicines from, for:

a. concoctions he prepares and blesses for an temple-inhouse laos Doctor here, and

b. a post-therapy herbal sauna annex, which for the gas heated steam barrel - there's an interesting mix of fruit skins, eucalypts etc that really takes your breath away

feel really good afterward though w00t.gif

gomangsteen - 1,000 baht a kilo??? Wow. Was in Chch and Dunedin last December, but didn't check prices too closely.

You wouldn't expect to see any on sale in December? Generally the NZ season is about the start of first frosts in the north island, May/June each year.

House I once owned (Wellington) one garden fence was well covered by passionfruit vines, they did well there - sheltered from high winds but still close to south coast/sea air which didn't seem to bother them.

Price I quoted was Auckland New World supermarket chain - think they'd have been grown in that region/upper NI most likely

Passionfruit - flavour of the day!

Today went to a horticulture education centre (Khung Kraben Royal Development Study Centre) on the Chanthaburi coast - display crops to encourage diversification by showing what will grow well in local conditions

Passionfruit! Less than 100m from the sea, Gulf of Thailand, minimal shelter between them and the coast/salt water, and the vines and fruit appeared healthy

tumblr_nahx00d4Iz1r8w5s5o1_500.jpg

Edited by gomangosteen

• 4 months later...

Passionfruit alert!

check your local fresh fruit markets . . . we were in Sa Kaeo province over NY, large yellow-skinned passionfruit selling at markets 30b/kilo, back home now Chanthaburi and must be their high season, local markets have them 35-40 baht/kilo, was told these ones are grown a little inland at Phlio about 15km south-east of Chan city, 5-6km in from the coast.

Love 'em!