Why?!

This subject has come up before but heres a current example. My Son just bought a return ticket to visit me in November. Emirates. Birmingham UK to Bangkok, total cost £528 return, no extras to pay at all.

To buy a ticket at exactly the same time Bangkok to Birmingham, same airline, same route, same everything, cost, over 40,000 baht!

Why? I assume there is a reason. It happens like this all the time. Nothing to be done as such, just interested to know why !

I've also notice this. One explanation was more demand and price pressure in the UK as opposed to here...in terms of originating flights. Also, you have to look over a period of time, not so specific with regards to time and flight. Could be one way is open and the other has a full plane????

Confusing, for sure.

Supply/demand - competition.

Obviously it is impossible to compare exact travel dates, in opposite directions, unless you have some sort of time machine.

Note that premium cabin fares can/may be less expensive ex-BKK.

It has been said that one of life's great mysteries is the airlines fare pricing policies,

there are as hard to figure out of fathom even by the greatest mind of our times....

• Like 1

In order to keep the peace most airlines try and use the countries flag carrier's prices as the benchmark price for their flights originating in that country but are free to set their own prices for departures from their countries

Since Thai International prices are outrageous the other airlines use that price since they don't want to be accused of unfair competition and possibly face problems obtaining gates

Most;y profiteering I assume. It used to be the case that you could order a Eurostart London to Paris ticket by calling the Paris office and asking to pick up the ticket in London. It was cheaper than buying the exact same ticket in London. They charge what they can get away with. If they charged £800 UK to Thailand, many people wouldn't go. Charging the same the other way works because they have people willing to pay because they have to go home and don't have a choice.

• Like 1

This is a Why for now, but hopefully in a year or so it will be different.

In the USA you even have to pay for your first piece of luggage. Carry on is still free but

restricted.

In Canada, there was a notice that even on International travel you will have to pay for your 2nd piece of luggage, hopefully this will get cancelled and 2 pieces are still allowed. However I have seen in Asia the standard 2 pieces of luggage, with weight and size

restrictions still exist, and the carry on luggage has to be reasonable in size and 10 kgs or less.

Reason Why is Greed! USAA greed, and Canada Greed. I flew in China and have seen a 1 piece of luggage restriction, and I do hope that the rest of Asia does not follow suit in this new GREEDY

Nonsense

Stargrazer

This is a Why for now, but hopefully in a year or so it will be different.

In the USA you even have to pay for your first piece of luggage. Carry on is still free but

restricted.

In Canada, there was a notice that even on International travel you will have to pay for your 2nd piece of luggage, hopefully this will get cancelled and 2 pieces are still allowed. However I have seen in Asia the standard 2 pieces of luggage, with weight and size

restrictions still exist, and the carry on luggage has to be reasonable in size and 10 kgs or less.

Reason Why is Greed! USAA greed, and Canada Greed. I flew in China and have seen a 1 piece of luggage restriction, and I do hope that the rest of Asia does not follow suit in this new GREEDY

Nonsense

Stargrazer

It's been the same for years so I can't see it changing in a year or so.

I would buy a one-way ticket and then use returns from the UK but I have a family that I take every second visit so this won't work, unfortunately.

A few years ago I used to buy a Thai Airways ticket in Singapore, travelling SIN-BKK-LON-BKK-SIN and this was much cheaper than BKK-LON-BKK. I'd use the BKK-SIN legs for a break. Sadly the price differential isn't there any more.

Simpy put Iata govern the fares on internation travel with scheduled airlines who don't allow discounting to try and maintain standards etc, they do however "turn a blind eye" on airfares where there is a more steady supply on that particular route.

Someone else stated supply and demand and that is exactly what it is.

Have edited to input it's also key to where you are as well, searching on the web isn't always the best way to ensure you get the best price. If you're in Thailand I would also try high street agents as they may have access to a consolidated airfare on the route you want to book.

Edited by enyaw