James Bond Island/Phangna Bay

Flying Clog

Hello, I'm a resident expat in Phuket, and I would really appreciate any info on a good tour operator to go and see the James Bond islands...

Preferably not one of the cowboy/sausage factory operators that blasts a clapped out speedboat full of terrified Russians and Chinese to an overcrowded beach full of flotsam topped off by a disgusting buffet lunch!

Maybe a slower boat, possibly catamaran, that sets off from Boat Lagoon or points north east.

Thanks very much for any info!

Rgds,

FC

Would take all day to go from Boat Lagoon in a slow boat. Best drive up to Phangna, about 10 kicks south a the town there is a junction with traffic light, another 2 clicks along that turn off there is a small pier that does not attract many tourists. You can hire a long tail for your own tour, but take a picnic unless you prefer to eat at the fisherman's floating village. I would suggest just circling James Bond island as making a landing attracts fees and many vendors trying to sell you something. It's a real zoo.

• Like 1

Good tour operator, now there's an oxymoron !

Also, what do you mean "resident expat"? Do you know the definition of expat, as many here on the board will argue you're not. You tourist you......ha, ha.

As LIK says, really think about just hiring a private car to run you up there, if not have a friend with car and make a group thing of it. Hire the longtail direct. Accomplished is a much cheaper as well as more direct way of handling it. "I see a picnic basket Boo-Boo" (Yogi bear) in your future too. Have fun.

Now, where are you "expat definition" battlers?

Ao Por have plenty of larger, slow, boats full of Chinese and Russian tourists.. with a nice buffet lunches going to the bat caves and the James Bond island.

There is also one Sailing boat company, which does day trips to the Phanga Bay.

Ao Por Grand Marina might have sailing boats available as well.

I have been only once to the JB-island few years back and it was crowded with tourists.

This is the one which operates from Ao Por. http://www.phuketsailtours.com/

Tours 3500/adult goes close by but did not mention JB-island.

Private Charter - Sakai

22,000 Baht per day for the first 6 people, 1,500 Baht per person for each additional person up to a maximum of 10 adults.

As stated above, go there by yourself, at the pier you will be met by local men who offer the tour by long tail boat. As far as the price is concerned, aim for 1200-1400 Baht. (Also depends a bit on how many people are going). See that you get there in the afternoon, then you don't have to walk over the Chinese heads at the James Bond Island. In the morning it is very crowded with tour groups.

Edited by keestha

Although I've been a few times, I took my 7 year old and 2 of his friends last year in the height of low season (July), figuring it would be less crowded.
Well, we counted 64 buses in the parking lot, booked a longtail anyway (2,000 baht) and headed out.
It started raining, so we went to the floating restaurants in hopes that it would stop.
It did not.
They were selling the 20 baht plastic ponchos to the Chinese tourists for 100 baht!

We had raincoats but, it was raining so hard, we just headed back to the car and navigated the bus filled parking lot for a half hour to get out.

I would like to show it to him someday.
I realize it was just a bad-luck day and hopefully next time, I'll go after lunch, like what's been recommended.
1500 Chinese tourists just put a damper on things.