I need to make a very difficult decision.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

Get a job first. That's easy enough to do online. Just google 'Thailand+Teaching Jobs' and you're on. Start a new life. You're going nowhere at the moment. Good luck getting over the fear.

cheers

Honestly, your life sounds pretty grim and depressing as it is now. You're drifting.

"I've fallen into a depressive stupor. When I was in Korea I had purpose. Although the job was stressful and I was working long hours, I was making money and I was working with great people. The only person I currently see is my father. "

Either go back to South Korea and get your girlfriend to come visit, or go to Thailand. Get out of the house and start living again. Worse case scenario you just go back home again. You're feeling fear because you're stuck in a rut. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that...

Ask yourself the questions:

What do I have to loose?

Do I what to be in Thailand (with the girl)?

What if all goes wrong, will I have a temp. fallback (family, friends)?

I made the step almost 11 years ago, with 5000 Euro in my pocket.

I am still here in Thailand.

It is a gamble, but even if it would not have worked out for me, I would not have regretted trying it.

SO GO FOR ITthumbsup.gif

I also say go for it... If you are a decent guy with a nice smile and good personal hygiene you will easily land a English teaching job... If you have no or little savings then you will most likely not have time to interview for a well paying job at an International School as they will do a background check and have you come for many interviews before making a decision. Government schools and the scores of private English teaching companies will hire you on the spot but be very weary and do your research as many of these companies make statements they have no intentions of honoring. I suggest you go through the Thai teaching forum called "ajarn" as they have loads of great information and even a job available section.... In the meantime you can take the 30K a month job and start networking to get a teaching job at an International school.. With your degree and experience a job at an International school is obtainable... Good Luck

it's a no brainer... get yourself away from that boring dump and come to this exciting dump

but if possible, don't let your girlfriend run too many aspects of your life

Funny, I wrote no brainer without reading your no brainer comment. Great minds think alike. smile.png

Edited by ricklev
  • Like 1

Option 1:

Continue to masturbate alone every night living a lonely terrible miserable life in an ugly depressing part of New Jersey that has not yet been gentrified not making any money with no friends and with with no reason to believe that anything will improve.

or

Option 2

Roll the dice in Thailand with a woman who claims she loves you. At the very least you can give five finger Mary a vacation.

Why aren't you on the plane yet?

The plane ride to Thailand sounds more appealing. And 5 finger Mary does need a vacation.

There is nothing here for me in New Jersey. I just fear that I will be homeless in Thailand.

Still, I don't want to look back 20 years from now and be filled with regret because I didn't take a chance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The decision is yours alone.

All you need to do is make sure you have enough money to get yourself out if necessary.

jb1

If you have your credential, maybe come here. Better, go to Korea. You may not be as happy but you will be making money. Korea I here is much easier to deal with now. Thailand is a joke. You are young and have lots of years ahead of you, at least get at Korea while its still there.

Lots of reasonable looking tramps in the KTV, zona rosas and shops around the bus stations.

You are way to young to be getting all serious, especially with no job and no money.

25posts/2week old acct = you.

Korea.

Still, I don't want to look back 20 years from now and be filled with regret because I didn't take a chance

I think you've answered your own question there.

Do you have any money at the moment? A few thousand dollars(or a decent credit card) will be enough to tide you over until you find work. With your qualifications I'm sure you'll find a decent post fairly quickly.

Thailand is a country which can both frustrate and fascinate in equal measure. I'm sure you won't regret it.

Why not look online at some of the teaching sites and whack in a few applications before you come over?

Good luck...

I have about $6k. I kinda know what to expect when I go to Thailand. I could send out a few resumes before I fly over. Everybody keeps telling me that I need to be there, and that Thailand is not Korea.

I would keep the fact that you have 5K to yourself. Tell you GF when you get here you only have 20,000 baht. Get her to find you a job, feed you and house you and take care of "little brother". Good luck.

Edited by SanSaiExPat
  • Like 1

I would say...if you have 6k USD, get the cheapest flight you can and get over here. Yeah, the term starts soon, but there is work all the time...now is just the most concentrated time as they are freaking out (got to love the planning! Happens every year/term). Done correctly, your remaining 5 k or so should last you 4-5 months (if you can't live on that, you won't be happy with salaries here for teachers).

As a side note, since you have a degree in special education, you might have some interesting opportunities in that field in larger cities. Those positions would probably pay better, as well (think international or specialized schools). Anyway, just a thought.

If you had a stable job in the states I might have different advice. But since you are there festering, you might as well get over here. Unless you are a nutcase, people will have jobs (not necessarily hitting the jackpot in terms of money, but hey) for you. I regularly reject jobs from the most random people all the time and so do friends I know. It just takes the local connections a while to pick you up on their radar.

Anyway....no fear. PM me if you have some more detailed questions, but I don't think there is more to think about in this situation.

With 6 grand of savings you can get yourself a 6 month return ticket (about 2 grand) and have enough for 6 months in LOS, especially if you live with your GF and avoid Soi Cowboy, Nana and the likes (which I assume you will...)

I've seen people who barely speak english and landed teaching jobs, in your case, being an american with a teaching degree and with a litle bit of courage going out there sending resumes and making appointments, you should have several options, and it should be easier and more pleasant with support and love from your GF, definitely something to look forward to and get a sense of purpose from! :-)

On your next visa run, after a month in LOS, do it in Vientiane where you have several schools looking for diplomed teachers starting in September, I'm thinking in particular of both VIS (Vientiane international School, great salaries) and Lycee Hoffet, the French school (used to have a teacher from England so you should be eligible) - I would send both a resume before leaving/upon arrival and arrange an appointment a month later, nothing to loose and there's definitely a need for people like you. (many other schools as well, google is your friend.)

If things don't work out, which is unlikely unless you drown even deeper in your stupor and/or fall into alcohol/sex dependancy/abuse, you have a ticket back home with your father waiting for you, so you won't end up stuck / a bum in BKK streets. Thailand is a gamble, it might work, it might not, but it's always better to do something than nothing, especially with opportunities definitely available there if you go after them, and a loving GF which has been waiting for you a year and is willing to help.

This puts you in a much better position than many, you actually have a lot going for you; just get over the fear, or put it aside: the positive shock you'll get after a few weeks should take care of it - no need to stress too much once there, enjoy your time with GF, good food, smiling people etc. set yourself reasonable objectives, don't raise the bar too high, don't rush and as they say, don't tink too mutt ;-).

If you're depressed, be nice to yourself, get the rest you need and it should all fall back into place, you do have time (if this semester doesn't work, 15 days being a short time, the next will)

Good luck ben, you'll be just fine!

If you get in the US system and make it to retirement, you will be making 80-100k USD a year. There is no way that you will get up to any kind of retirement if you work in Thailand.

I love those that say do it, don't have regrets. Sometimes the things that we do actually are our regrets. Making a career in the US is a good thing. Getting EFL jobs in Thailand don't go very far on the resume.

The good thing is that you can always leave Thailand and go back to teach in Korea or go to China.

• Like 1

I have a single friend who retired in Thailand after teaching on 3 continents for 23 years with $500K US... back in 2001 at the age of 45.

He bought some condos in BKK and was getting about $30K a year on rents...

Yet, after the 2008/9 debacle and quantitative easing, he felt he didn't have enough squirreled away for his old age.

So he got lucky and landed a gig with an oil services company flying back and forth to Africa every 28 days teaching science at a national hydrocarbon institute for 2 years (2012 & 2013)

Now with about a million in net worth, he is finally LOOKING for a girlfriend.

I think you have priorities in the wrong order.

Get at least a little financial security first, or your time here has a huge chance of turning to HELL, or at very best, more desperation than you are currently dealing with.

• Like 1

go for it. After 6 months in US if its not happening it may be a long while before it does. You have a TGF who is willing to help you that is a big plus. There are many teaching jobs in Thailand teachers come and go all the time. My best advice is to stick to your guns over in Thailand, get a good mobile, talk to people, be positive and dress nice and keep your ear to the ground. Whenever I have had difficulty getting a job many times I get it "Through the back door" meaning I got a great job with a big IT company but through a subsidiary or in the UK after 9/11 not many jobs I got a great job but had to relocate out of London. You may have to do the same, perhaps move to one of the provinces, cheaper life also. Sincerely good luck.

I met a brain dead 150kg yank (with a 40kg Filipino wife, poor girl) with not even a TEFL in HCMC last year making US$1500 a month; food and accommodation is 30-40% cheaper there too. And every Vietnamese Uni student wants to improve their English so private lessons can boost that too.

I have heard of TEFL jobs going in Jakarta for more than that too - you need to get on the web

Thailand is the worst for wages and working conditions in SEA, but you do have a girlfriend here. But you sound like you need to save some dollars.

(Sorry I obviously estimated those weights but if you will just picture in your mind them on their motorbike together!!)

A choice between being depressed & miserable in NJ or living with a Thai Gf in Thailand and living in an exotic and interesting place with a chance to learn a new culture, language and way of thinking…

am i missing something here?

People seldom regret what they did do and, all too often, on their death beds, regret what they did not do. Go for it. I went to Thailand with a pension and very little money. Now, I have a business here in Ha Noi! I regret NOTHING!

Go for it dear friend! Remember Rosanne Rosannadana!

You only live once...go for it!

OP, i did find myself in the same situation...

I did jump in the water, started swimming and have a hard time thinking why i didn't do this earlier...

i am here now in NE Thailand, having the time of my life, with the woman i really love...

She loves you, she wants to help you... do you love her and do you love Thailand ? then go for it...

BARE BONES LIVING

FLIGHT:The least expensive flight to Thailand I can find today is $1253 ROUND TRIP from NYC - 26 hours total travel time.

RE: Shelter / Food / Transportation / Communications

LIVING QUARTERS: You can PROBABLY find a room with AC and fridge for UNDER $200 a month. I did ($160 a month ) when I first moved here ( Pattaya - the Party Central - 4 blocks to the beach - clean no bugs or vermin - quiet - 100 channel TV - WiFi - bedding - and 7 "street dogs" <- feed then 2-3 times so they know you, they can be good friends if someone might be following you ) Figure 2 months for around $500US MAX TOTAL to sleep in AC comfort .( see about extending visa )

FOOD: 7-11 about every 30 feet in almost any city. You can """"live"""" on 7-11 food for under $3.00 a day (under $200 for 2 months ) "Street" food vendors are good also - MOST of the time. Hope you like rice.

TRANSPORT: Rent a motor scooter if necessary 2 months $180-200US

CELL PHONE: NOT expensive $10-30US a month - pay as you go SIM based cell service, DO NOT ROAM!!!

2 month Bare bones investment: Under $3000US ( EXTRA Language classes 20 hours around $180US )

Now my question to you: What kind of support will your girlfriend give you: food? place to stay? anything? OR will you be asked to help pay Vet bills for her sick water buffalo?

I took my first chance when I was 50...it didn't work out but I had another go at 53 and I'm still here.

I did have some cash from a property sale & modest savings, which my GF & I have used to renovate and develop property on her land. We're a long way from 'breaking even' or reasonable profit on return and I may need to return to UK for a year or two for work !

I don't have the benefit of a degree in teaching or any other subject but if I did, I know from experience, I could easily get good work across Thailand teaching at some very good schools.

Salaries in BKK & CM can average B50K pm and provincially about B28-35K pm. Some of the international schools offer far better salaries and a host of benefits but competition is fierce!

Your GF sounds sensible and if I were in your situation I would borrow the cash from your dad, if he were willing.

In spite of what 'The High Rollers' spend each day in Thailand, 2 people can eat well on as little as 200 baht per day, so budget for at least a year....B72,000 for food plus the same again for miscellaneous expenses and a very, very frugal life style until things settle into momentum !

B150,000 equates to roughly $4600 airfare extra.

I also lived near the coast in UK, but unlike NJ, getting state benefits for 7 months of the year was not an option and faced with this scenario you really have no choice if you're to 'have a life' at all !

I've worked harder in the last 4 years in Thailand than any time previously, my friends think I'm living 'the high life', far from it but there's a chance I'll come through in the end. Call it hope, ambition or delusion but whatever it is I won't regret having taken the chance when 'my time' finally comes.

Good luck.

I highly recommend the Emirates A380-800 luxurious economy class flights. You'll be very relaxed. Fly EK202 departing JFK @ 11pm arriving DUBAI at 8pm (12 hr flight). Enjoy a nice night in Dubai. Fly EK372 departing DUBAI at 10am arriving BKK at 8pm (6 hr flight). $770 one way is a great deal. A380-800 on both flights. You'll really enjoy THAILAND. Good Luck!

from my iPad in Cha-Am

Option 1:

Continue to masturbate alone every night living a lonely terrible miserable life in an ugly depressing part of New Jersey that has not yet been gentrified not making any money with no friends and with with no reason to believe that anything will improve.

or

Option 2

Roll the dice in Thailand with a woman who claims she loves you. At the very least you can give five finger Mary a vacation.

Why aren't you on the plane yet?

The plane ride to Thailand sounds more appealing. And 5 finger Mary does need a vacation.

There is nothing here for me in New Jersey. I just fear that I will be homeless in Thailand.

Still, I don't want to look back 20 years from now and be filled with regret because I didn't take a chance.

Can your Thai GF's family...take you in...give you food and shelter...while you look for suitable employment...?