Abhisit to skip next poll if proposal accepted

webfact

Abhisit is the only politician attempting to do something positive.

PTP look more and more like a bunch of kleptomaniacal chimpanzees by the minute

He manages to catch the opposition with their pants down before they even realise their collective thingamajigs have been exposed

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Elections are a positive thing. He's trying to block them (ok, delay them for an indefinite period), which is a negative thing.

I don't get your pants down reference, it's just wishful thinking, he's a bit dozy to me. Most likely a lawyer has been examining the EC's plans and he's been advised to buy some time to keep his MPs in the Democrat party.

If he was running for elections, he'd be planning his campaign now, and selecting his candidates for each seat, not stalling.

You don't begin an election campaign with a "well perhaps I won't be running unless you agree to these secret conditions I won't say".

Say we're looking at early June registrations for July elections, MP's need to resign from the Democrat party and jump ship to one of the other yellow opposition parties NOW, to qualify under the 30 day limit. Do not let this idiot drag you down Yellow MPs.

Get into other party lists, and win those easy seats in the south and represent your constiuents. You can see Abhisit is finished and he's admitting it here, there will be no new Democrat leader because he will not resign quickly enough to permit one, so you will be doomed if you stay in the Democrat party.

Abhisit's plans are probably not for wider consumption for a number of good reasons. One of them may be that in line with him exiting the leadership that the Shinawatra clan follow suit.

However if you view this a subterfuge then that's really your call

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he actually eligible to stand given his much publicized not voting in the last election? Or was that rule nullified by the same ruling that nullified the actual election? If he is ineligible, then this is nothing but spin.

• Like 1

He manages to catch the opposition with their pants down before they even realise their collective thingamajigs have been exposed

Elections are a positive thing. He's trying to block them (ok, delay them for an indefinite period), which is a negative thing.

I don't get your pants down reference, it's just wishful thinking, he's a bit dozy to me. Most likely a lawyer has been examining the EC's plans and he's been advised to buy some time to keep his MPs in the Democrat party.

If he was running for elections, he'd be planning his campaign now, and selecting his candidates for each seat, not stalling.

You don't begin an election campaign with a "well perhaps I won't be running unless you agree to these secret conditions I won't say".

Say we're looking at early June registrations for July elections, MP's need to resign from the Democrat party and jump ship to one of the other yellow opposition parties NOW, to qualify under the 30 day limit. Do not let this idiot drag you down Yellow MPs.

Get into other party lists, and win those easy seats in the south and represent your constiuents. You can see Abhisit is finished and he's admitting it here, there will be no new Democrat leader because he will not resign quickly enough to permit one, so you will be doomed if you stay in the Democrat party.

Abhisit's plans are probably not for wider consumption for a number of good reasons. One of them may be that in line with him exiting the leadership that the Shinawatra clan follow suit.

She's standing, she's already planning her election campaign, potential candidates are already polishing their CVs, and the red protest rallys are already more like "get out the vote and win those elections" rallies.

Him, he's not standing. Whether his party stands or not? Well Suthep has set his latest "final" march for 14th May. So Abhisit will probably be stalling till 20th May (he spends about a week to make any decision). Then announce his party won't be standing at elections.

Do you think it's like lemmings? That somehow he will throw himself off a cliff and she will follow? Why?

• Like 1

yes he tries...but his ways are wrong....but to his credit he is the only one who even tries.

"kleptomaniacal chimpanzees" that is improper...chimpanzees are smart and sensible beings...

What is positive on Elections? If they aren't fair and no equal chances?

Ahbisit, you join or no join, the red party will still win the election.

The red supporters are not interested at all about the whole democratic process or the huge mistakes the YL govt has done.

They are only interested in their own red theory of "democracy" and Face is very important in Thainess.

They will choose them again in the new election.

What is positive on Elections? If they aren't fair and no equal chances?

Well, clearly the EC is not fair, and it's also damn clear it's an anti-government agency. The same unelected senate process that chose the NACC, chose the EC.

That NACC just decided Senators who voted to make the Senate a fully elected body should be impeached! So by the same selection process that creates and anti-democracy NACC, it must also create an anti-democracy Electoral Commission!

And by implication the winner in the elections is the antisethis of the electoral commission! I know it's bizarre world we live in when the Senate chooses a corruption body that defines democracy as corruption! And the same selection process also selects an Electoral Commission whose one and only job is to run elections!

We need reform to root out corruption and its clear where the dirt is.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger
  • Like 2

basically hes been bought........................Thailand is in a never ending cycle of doom ..could be called a hub

Basically? Either he was or was not bought. How would you know either way?

Well if he doesn't run he will have no immunity from prosecution hence he is accepting that the rule of the law will in his case be adhered to. Also there can be no blame laid at his door for any of the multitude of problems that the next administration undoubtedly will inherit.

A master political move that in the short term looks to be a loser, however in the long term it will prove to be a winner.

In Sun Tzu's Art Of War there is a time to attack, a time to retreat and a time to regroup, these tactics are just the same in a political scenario.

That's what an Oxbridge education does for you. thumbsup.gif

Let's see how the Kentucky Kids respond.

I think he's taking the high road, to answer those critics that claim he's doing his proposal for his own career. As far as I can see this is the only possible light at the end of the tunnel we have seen for a long time.Well done!

To those who complain the proposal is still under wraps: I think it's the correct way to do it, he's meeting various parties and will most likely modify his proposal as he gets input. Then he can reveal the final version at the end of his consultation process in a few days.

Perhaps you are right. But i think if his proposal doesnt keep the PTP in power and in control they will not accept it.

And i think if it means no reform before elections then Suthep wont accept it. You can not make a compromise that will appease both sides when both are adamant to gain or keep control

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

How do you make reforms without a functioning government? Oh yeah .. Suthep will dictate those reforms himself ... or choose those who will.

basically hes been bought........................Thailand is in a never ending cycle of doom ..could be called a hub

Actually, I have great faith in Abhisit as a person who is a cut above the morass of Thai politicians. I think we'll know why he's not standing in a few days when he reveals his plan. An honourable move by an honourable gentleman. Shame Terryp has to be so insulting. There is no way that Khun A "has been bought". A disgusting libel and slur.

all about a greased exit now...I think Blue nosed Codger nailed it...

Abhisit said a week... it's been a week... the meetings have taken place... he has done daily press about everyone politely receiving him and agreeing changes need to take place...where's the beef? Only hear the bull. No announcement of his "minor reform" only a shifting to a greater reform that will take a lot longer...and cannot be implemented before July 20 ...wants to encourage YL to postpone the July 20 date and as an aside decides he may not run... so he will not lose again and can get out from under having to answer whether or not the Dems will even contest the election... but won't step down from party leader.... guess there is more covering to do Please let me wake up and hear something of substance..his "generous offer" as some characterized it is " I win by not running...because by not running I can't lose.." and in any case his buddy Suthep still contends there will be no elections...so still a few more days away... ( again) guess things have slowed everywhere lotta time buying now.. Democracy time shares ...

• Like 2

She's standing, she's already planning her election campaign, potential candidates are already polishing their CVs, and the red protest rallys are already more like "get out the vote and win those elections" rallies.

Him, he's not standing. Whether his party stands or not? Well Suthep has set his latest "final" march for 14th May. So Abhisit will probably be stalling till 20th May (he spends about a week to make any decision). Then announce his party won't be standing at elections.

Do you think it's like lemmings? That somehow he will throw himself off a cliff and she will follow? Why?

Polishing their CVs?

Is that a euphemism for removing the criminal charges?

Actually, I have great faith in Abhisit as a person who is a cut above the morass of Thai politicians. I think we'll know why he's not standing in a few days when he reveals his plan. An honourable move by an honourable gentleman. Shame Terryp has to be so insulting. There is no way that Khun A "has been bought". A disgusting libel and slur.

The honourable move would be to be truthful. Abhisit knows he cannot win a general election, and he can also see the knives ready to come out. The rumoured offer not to run again is not confirmed yet. Ok, so he won't run again. Wonderful. It's nice to see that he recognizes that there is no point in his running since he will lose, again.

No politician is ever in a secure place for very long, and Abhisit is long past his best buy date. In all political parties, there are those ready to have a night of the long knives and to do their leader in. There is jockeying for position in the Democrat party. What has worked in his favour for the past few years is that the leadership was aged, fractured (e.g. Suthep leaving), and tired. This is his last chance at trying to build support. I doubt he will succeed. He just doesn't have charisma and he can't make an emotional connection to the Ma and Pa Kettles of Thailand

Polishing their CVs?

Is polishing their CV a euphemism for removing the criminal charges? Well yesterday the NACC (the National Anti Corruption Council) defined 'elections' as 'corruption', indicting Senators for voting to make the Senate fully elected. And those Senators have that corruption indictment on their CV.

So if you see a Senator with an indictment from the national anti corruption council on his CV, its likely his crime was voting!

Edited by BlueNoseCodger
  • Like 1

Polishing their CVs?

Is polishing their CV a euphemism for removing the criminal charges? Well yesterday the NACC (the National Anti Corruption Council) defined 'elections' as 'corruption', indicting Senators for voting to make the Senate fully elected. And those Senators have that corruption indictment on their CV.

So if you see a Senator with an indictment from the national anti corruption council on his CV, its likely his crime was voting!

Are you aware of the term "conflict of interest"?

Additionally, in this case, the legislation they were seeking to pass was illegal. The way they sought to do it was illegal, and the manner in which they voted was illegal

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Abhisit has been meeting with a slew of high ranking senior officials who are powerfully influential to find out what it means to have a spine.

The doctors who attended AV after his recent fall in his bathroom at home broke his collarbone said he was lucky, that the fall would have broken his backbone if he'd had one.

• Like 2

Why the need to have caveats and mysteries daily. Just lay out your plan clear and honest and stop playing games. Ahbisit really sacrifice nothing as he has yet to win anything and possibly nothing in the future. Or perhaps this is his exit strategy without losing face.

Abhisit should be commended for putting the good of the country first.

Let's hope his proposals will be the missing link we have been waiting for and will sort out the tangled mess...

Whatever he proposes, the red sheeple ( we all know who they are ) will continually say bad things about him, even if it is the best idea ever, as they can't bear to think he may be smarter than any of their PTP idols.

• Like 1

Mixed feelings over this one. There was a time when I actually believed he would be a good PM and leader of Thailand. Then he got the position and, in my personal opinion, failed miserably. But that begs the question of whether he failed due to his own ineptitude, or because he was "ham strung" by his controllers and greater powers? We may never know the answer to that one.

I'm sure he's fully aware that if he personally doesn't run, he will have no immunity from prosecution, and the other side will go after him like hungry dogs over a piece of fresh meat. Is he doing a "Mandella", letting himself be "sacrificed" in order to come out at the end a better man? I think, and this is my personal opinion, that he's showing a sense of moral bravery by doing this. Perhaps he really is willing to sacrifice himself for the betterment of the country, but a little voice in the back of my head says: "Don't fall for that one".

So, to be honest, I'm not sure what to think. It could always be the possibility that he's simply tired of Thai politics and is hanging up his political hat and going to do something else. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

The immunity from prosecution only applies while the House is in session. Abisit's trial for murder has already commenced.

A hell of a sacrifice and a good move by the master strategist.

Not only has he made the new pre-election reform proposals a real possibility, he has also shown Yingluck that her cling to power is even more obnoxious now.

With the above speculators trying to figure out what is happening in the background, you have to remember this guy is under threat of assassination. That has to count for something.

If between him and Suthep, over the next few years they can prove that they have reformed Thailand to the best of their ability and that sentiment is echoed from all corners of the Nation, it leaves the door open for his return in such a way that the Dems may walk straight into power at a later election on the back of this.

He may even end up in a lesser role, or he may even be put in charge of the main reforms. This will also be very good because it would also give Suthep what he wants... 'reforms that are free of politicians'... which is something else that has not yet been touched on in this thread.

It seems to me that this is not something he decided last night.... this is something himself and Suthep could well have agreed prior to the new set of proposals were announced last week.

A great game of strategy if you ask me.... He has now made it all but impossible for anyone to turn this down.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva announced on Thursday via Facebook post that if his proposal is accepted, he would not run in the next election.

He will reveal the details of his proposal,

Master strategist my ass, its quite simple. He knows the democrats are losing support far more than PTP so hes offering not to run because he knows they cant win.

14074934193_e633770928_o.jpg

14051714631_65d278dd6d_o.jpg

source bangkok pundit

The democrats have lost massive support, this is just an exercise to make him seem like hes making a sacrifice..... hes not its just a cop out.

Any bets on one point of his proposal being Yingluck takes a break as well ? whistling.gif

Looks like it willl be a landslide for the Unsure/don't know Party.

Isn't Bangkok Pundit a red shirt website?

I think he's taking the high road, to answer those critics that claim he's doing his proposal for his own career. As far as I can see this is the only possible light at the end of the tunnel we have seen for a long time.Well done!

To those who complain the proposal is still under wraps: I think it's the correct way to do it, he's meeting various parties and will most likely modify his proposal as he gets input. Then he can reveal the final version at the end of his consultation process in a few days.

Why didn't he just do the consulting first? He's posturing for something.

Mixed feelings over this one. There was a time when I actually believed he would be a good PM and leader of Thailand. Then he got the position and, in my personal opinion, failed miserably. But that begs the question of whether he failed due to his own ineptitude, or because he was "ham strung" by his controllers and greater powers? We may never know the answer to that one.

I'm sure he's fully aware that if he personally doesn't run, he will have no immunity from prosecution, and the other side will go after him like hungry dogs over a piece of fresh meat. Is he doing a "Mandella", letting himself be "sacrificed" in order to come out at the end a better man? I think, and this is my personal opinion, that he's showing a sense of moral bravery by doing this. Perhaps he really is willing to sacrifice himself for the betterment of the country, but a little voice in the back of my head says: "Don't fall for that one".

So, to be honest, I'm not sure what to think. It could always be the possibility that he's simply tired of Thai politics and is hanging up his political hat and going to do something else. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

To be honest I think you might want to review your reasons for his inability to live up to your expectations. You have bought the conspiracy theory hook line and sinker.

The fact is he was the leader of a minority government and had to please other parties to do any thing. Look at the corruption record he managed to halt it's rapid rise. Look after he left office it rapidly started to rise again. Remember he was working in a Government that had an opposition with an armed contingent. A opposition that was allowed to speak. Had he been given the free hand the PTP has enjoyed he would have made a lot of difference.

This is for all the conspiracy thinkers if the Amarat who ever they are is in charge Why did they not just carry on with Yingluck instead of having her close the house? With Abhist out of the game who do you think they are going to put in as the next Prime Minister? If they are really the power behind the government why has Thaksin been the one running it? You put out theory's give no names and say they are responsible for two different governments who have been completely different procedures. One tries to halt corruption the Democrats and the other PTP promotes it.

• Like 1

Polishing their CVs?

Are you aware of the term "conflict of interest"?

Additionally, in this case, the legislation they were seeking to pass was illegal. The way they sought to do it was illegal, and the manner in which they voted was illegal

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes "conflict of interest" is where you decide something in which you have an interest.

So for example NACC chooses Senators under the 2007 coup constitution. And government suggests those would be better elected, and so NACC says that this is corruption. i.e. Conflict of interest. Because NACC made a choice in which it has a specific interest.

"Additionally, in this case, the legislation they were seeking to pass was illegal."

The court said the government could suggest amendments to the constitution one-by-one, the Senate has the right to vote on those amendments. Neither of those parts is illegal.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger