Abhisit to skip next poll if proposal accepted

webfact

Abhisit to skip next poll if proposal accepted

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva announced on Thursday via Facebook post that if his proposal is accepted, he would not run in the next election.

He will reveal the details of his proposal, which he believes will bring the country out of political impasse, within the next few days, he wrote.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-01

--------------

Abhisit offers to take political break
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva announced on Thursday via Facebook post that if his proposal to bring the country out of political crisis is accepted, he would not run in the next election.

He will reveal the details of his proposal, which he believes will bring the country out of political impasse, within the next few days, he wrote.

Democrat Party deputy leader Nipit Intharasombat said Thursday that his party leader, Abhisit Vejjajiva, has already made a sacrifice to try to get the country out of the political deadlock by offering to take a political break.

Nipit said if the Democrat wins the next election, Abhisit will not get the post of prime minister or if the Democrat loses, Abhisit will not become the opposition leader because he will not contest the next election.

"This is not a last card but it's a sacrifice and a retreat for the country to move on," Nipit said.

He added that Abhisit is still the Democrat leader because he has not resigned from the party's position.

But Pheu Thai deputy spokesman Anusorn Eamsa-ard regarded the offer to skip the election as the Democrat's plan to pressure the Pheu Thai to skip the election as well.

Anusorn alleged that Abhisit was trying to find an excuse not to contest the next poll and when he made the offer, the Pheu Thai would come under pressure to sacrifice as well.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-01

• Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1631, Charles I fined printers Barker and Lucas 1,000 Pounds for leaving a vital word out of their edition of the Bible. Verse 14 of Chapter 20 of Exodus read: "Thou shalt commit adultery".

Methinks "is accepted" should read "is not accepted".

• Like 2

If there is only one possible shining light for Thailand it is Abhisit.

Once the madman Suthep is taken away and the Dems can commit to real policies that will defeat the shins at the ballot box.

Unfortunately there are too many rich and powerful sutheps there to let Abhisit rule a country like it should be.

Nipit: Abhisit makes sacrifice to try to get the country move on

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party deputy leader Nipit Intharasombat said Thursday that his party leader, Abhisit Vejjajiva, has already made a sacrifice to try to get the country out of the political deadlock by offering to take a political break.

Nipit said if the Democrat wins the next election, Abhisit will not get the post of prime minister or if the Democrat loses, Abhisit will not become the opposition leader because he will not contest the next election.

"This is not a last card but it's a sacrifice and a retreat for the country to move on," Nipit said.

He added that Abhisit is still the Democrat leader because he has not resigned from the party's position.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-01

Mixed feelings over this one. There was a time when I actually believed he would be a good PM and leader of Thailand. Then he got the position and, in my personal opinion, failed miserably. But that begs the question of whether he failed due to his own ineptitude, or because he was "ham strung" by his controllers and greater powers? We may never know the answer to that one.

I'm sure he's fully aware that if he personally doesn't run, he will have no immunity from prosecution, and the other side will go after him like hungry dogs over a piece of fresh meat. Is he doing a "Mandella", letting himself be "sacrificed" in order to come out at the end a better man? I think, and this is my personal opinion, that he's showing a sense of moral bravery by doing this. Perhaps he really is willing to sacrifice himself for the betterment of the country, but a little voice in the back of my head says: "Don't fall for that one".

So, to be honest, I'm not sure what to think. It could always be the possibility that he's simply tired of Thai politics and is hanging up his political hat and going to do something else. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I feel it was the latter as the Dems still have many dinosaurs & their inability to make a radical reform of the party is strictly down to those influential dinosaurs. Don't forget the deal with Bum Jai Thai. Once the landscape has cleared he can always come back but his decision not to stand shows he is not in this reform process for personal gain.

Edited by Valentine

Just1Voice has a point. Mark is already stinking rich. Why not get out of politics altogether, take a position on the Board of some large company, earn a salary far higher than he's worth and live the good life out of the limelight.

• Like 1

I think he's taking the high road, to answer those critics that claim he's doing his proposal for his own career. As far as I can see this is the only possible light at the end of the tunnel we have seen for a long time.Well done!

To those who complain the proposal is still under wraps: I think it's the correct way to do it, he's meeting various parties and will most likely modify his proposal as he gets input. Then he can reveal the final version at the end of his consultation process in a few days.

Perhaps you are right. But i think if his proposal doesnt keep the PTP in power and in control they will not accept it.

And i think if it means no reform before elections then Suthep wont accept it. You can not make a compromise that will appease both sides when both are adamant to gain or keep control

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Could this be something to do with the meeting overseas between the Dems and Taksins wife.

Sorry Thaipod ... Thaksin is not married ... he does have a 23 year old g/f.. but NOT married. wai2.gif

• Like 2

He will not run?

What is.going on here?

Don't worry, I don't think he'll be short of job offers from his friends (if you can call them that). Hardly a sacrifice, more a facesaving.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well if he doesn't run he will have no immunity from prosecution hence he is accepting that the rule of the law will in his case be adhered to. Also there can be no blame laid at his door for any of the multitude of problems that the next administration undoubtedly will inherit.

A master political move that in the short term looks to be a loser, however in the long term it will prove to be a winner.

In Sun Tzu's Art Of War there is a time to attack, a time to retreat and a time to regroup, these tactics are just the same in a political scenario.

Abhisit looked at the big picture, summed it up, loyalties and friends are bigger than being a member of parliament, end of story.

Mixed feelings over this one. There was a time when I actually believed he would be a good PM and leader of Thailand. Then he got the position and, in my personal opinion, failed miserably. But that begs the question of whether he failed due to his own ineptitude, or because he was "ham strung" by his controllers and greater powers? We may never know the answer to that one.

I'm sure he's fully aware that if he personally doesn't run, he will have no immunity from prosecution, and the other side will go after him like hungry dogs over a piece of fresh meat. Is he doing a "Mandella", letting himself be "sacrificed" in order to come out at the end a better man? I think, and this is my personal opinion, that he's showing a sense of moral bravery by doing this. Perhaps he really is willing to sacrifice himself for the betterment of the country, but a little voice in the back of my head says: "Don't fall for that one".

So, to be honest, I'm not sure what to think. It could always be the possibility that he's simply tired of Thai politics and is hanging up his political hat and going to do something else. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Trust the little voice..............................

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why doesn't he just reveal the details of his proposal now? What's the point of the political wait and see drama?

To piss you off.

Well if he doesn't run he will have no immunity from prosecution hence he is accepting that the rule of the law will in his case be adhered to. Also there can be no blame laid at his door for any of the multitude of problems that the next administration undoubtedly will inherit.

A master political move that in the short term looks to be a loser, however in the long term it will prove to be a winner.

In Sun Tzu's Art Of War there is a time to attack, a time to retreat and a time to regroup, these tactics are just the same in a political scenario.

A incisive observation. It is a smart move. It could be that if the Dems win enough seats, that they will ask him to come back, but not as PM.

I think he's taking the high road, to answer those critics that claim he's doing his proposal for his own career. As far as I can see this is the only possible light at the end of the tunnel we have seen for a long time.Well done!

To those who complain the proposal is still under wraps: I think it's the correct way to do it, he's meeting various parties and will most likely modify his proposal as he gets input. Then he can reveal the final version at the end of his consultation process in a few days.

Perhaps you are right. But i think if his proposal doesnt keep the PTP in power and in control they will not accept it.
And i think if it means no reform before elections then Suthep wont accept it. You can not make a compromise that will appease both sides when both are adamant to gain or keep control

I think that Abhisit is trying to outflank old Suthep. If Suthep would not have been the DPM while they were briefly in power, Abhisit might have achieved more.

It is possible that the minor reforms proposed by Abhisit might just be acceptable to the Shin Clan.

If you think this through it may be a political master stroke. He must have been reading battle strategies not Thai political strategies

It does not change my personal politics but does give me more respect for his intellect wai2.gif

Why doesn't he just reveal the details of his proposal now? What's the point of the political wait and see drama?

He doesn't have a proposal. He's stalling for time.

At this point we're heading into elections, and Democrat MPs face a choice:

1) If Democrats are not standing for election, they can jump ship to a different opposition party.

2) If Democrats are standing, they can get their campaign ideas together with their fellow democrat MP candidates

Section 101. A person having the following qualifications has the right to be a candidate in an election of members of the House of Representatives:

(3) being a member of any and only one political party for a consecutive period of not less than ninety days up to the date of applying for candidacy in an election, or being a member of any and only one political party for a consecutive period of not less than thirty days up to the date of applying for candidacy in an election in the case where the general election is conducted on account of the dissolution of the House of Representatives;

You see that if they jump ship to a different party, the MPs have to be members of that party for 30 days to be able to stand for election. So Abhisit wants to delay their choice, so he can force them to be stuck with the Democrat party.

So he pretends the Democrats will be standing, and Abhisit the unelectable, won't be standing for election. They stick with the Democrat party until its too late and the 30 day limit has passed. He then announces his proposal (for Yingluk to resign to be replaced by an appointed PM) has been rejected and therefore he will not step down as leader of the Democrats. Also that the Democrats won't be standing for election (again), and the Democrat MPs are stuck (again!).

He's stalling, nothing more.

The big risk for him, is that popular MPs jump ship to a different opposition party, they get elected and that party becomes the opposition (and some day the government), leaving the Democrats to fade away and his backer/Suthep backer (GG) and the elite to lose their political front.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger
  • Like 2

I wonder whether the S-clan might be willing to follow his brave example ?

Is that part of what's being discussed, via the back-channels ?

No way.... That would take integrity, a virtue that has not been bestowed upon those dreadful people... It's all about power and money. They are not career politicians like Abhisit, they are just crooks feeding from the biggest trough in the land and nothing lesser will curtail their greed for more of the same.