Abhisit to skip next poll if proposal accepted

webfact

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder whether the S-clan might be willing to follow his brave example ?

Is that part of what's being discussed, via the back-channels ?

That is what I was thinking.So far his proposals haven't been released to the public and this leak is just half of one of the proposals the other half involves the Shins taking a break,win win Suthep is happy and goes home,Dems put up Korn for PM. Mark gets to clear his name without immunity and PTP/Reds held accountable,Thailand wins.

We pretty much agree on his strategy, (you see it as a win-win, but I don't see how stopping the voters voting for the most popular candidate is a win, more an anti-democratic attempt to rig elections).

But yeh, he'll want Yingluk to resign to make it easier for the Democrats to win, and in return unelectable Mark will also step down, but I suspect his backer has already lined up a more electable replacement for him anyway.

I'm betting he'll use the phrase "for the good of the country" (hah!).

I think he wanted to delay elections, to demand she resign prior to elections, (for a surprise section 180 lawyer trick, eject the government put in appointed government). Now that they've decided the election schedule, he'll have to settle for her not running for fresh elections.

However she will be running for elections, his demand will be rejected, the Democrats will not be running. Suthep & Abhisit will attempt to block elections for the south again (elections in the south would create a new opposition party and remove any remaining legitimacy he has, so they cannot allow elections in opposition strong-hold regions). They'll try to void the elections again.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger
  • Like 2

Just1Voice has a point. Mark is already stinking rich. Why not get out of politics altogether, take a position on the Board of some large company, earn a salary far higher than he's worth and live the good life out of the limelight.

52 miljon thb. Stinking rich?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just1Voice has a point. Mark is already stinking rich. Why not get out of politics altogether, take a position on the Board of some large company, earn a salary far higher than he's worth and live the good life out of the limelight.

The family wealth is waaaaaaay more than that. Grandad is still alive don't forget.

The family wealth is waaaaaaay more than that. Grandad is still alive don't forget.
I was talking about Abhisits money not his familys.

Anusorn alleged that Abhisit was trying to find an excuse not to contest the next poll and when he made the offer, the Pheu Thai would come under pressure to sacrifice as well.

I have said it many times here, Abhisit should step down because people who don't want to vote PTP need a viable alternative. I happen to like him, but that doesn't matter, there are many people who would not vote for him because of 2010. This country needs a new government and a new direction, if it becomes possible for that to happen because he puts aside his carreer, good on him. He had already promised some time ago, that he would not participate as PM unless the party was elected. Compare his behavior to that of Yingluck who clings to power in spite of the many charges against her. Little miss " my family doesn't want power, only peace" has delayed, obfuscated and flat out lied to keep her family in power. This move by Abhisit may make all the difference with a disillusioned electorate.

• Like 2

We exactly. And Yingluck is only worth 500mn. He's not as wealthy as some, but he's hardly a bastion of the poor either.

That said, he cant buy a pink Rolls Royce either.

We exactly. And Yingluck is only worth 500mn. He's not as wealthy as some, but he's hardly a bastion of the poor either.

That said, he cant buy a pink Rolls Royce either.

So his not filthy rich then.

Not bad for someone that hasn't done an honest day's work in his life. Old silver spoon veggie.

• Like 2

A hell of a sacrifice and a good move by the master strategist.

Not only has he made the new pre-election reform proposals a real possibility, he has also shown Yingluck that her cling to power is even more obnoxious now.

With the above speculators trying to figure out what is happening in the background, you have to remember this guy is under threat of assassination. That has to count for something.

If between him and Suthep, over the next few years they can prove that they have reformed Thailand to the best of their ability and that sentiment is echoed from all corners of the Nation, it leaves the door open for his return in such a way that the Dems may walk straight into power at a later election on the back of this.

He may even end up in a lesser role, or he may even be put in charge of the main reforms. This will also be very good because it would also give Suthep what he wants... 'reforms that are free of politicians'... which is something else that has not yet been touched on in this thread.

It seems to me that this is not something he decided last night.... this is something himself and Suthep could well have agreed prior to the new set of proposals were announced last week.

A great game of strategy if you ask me.... He has now made it all but impossible for anyone to turn this down.

"A hell of a sacrifice and a good move by the master strategist".

As leader of the Democrat party since 2005 what strategies would you suggest he has employed to prevent the Dems from winning an election.

• Like 2

Mixed feelings over this one. There was a time when I actually believed he would be a good PM and leader of Thailand. Then he got the position and, in my personal opinion, failed miserably. But that begs the question of whether he failed due to his own ineptitude, or because he was "ham strung" by his controllers and greater powers? We may never know the answer to that one.

I'm sure he's fully aware that if he personally doesn't run, he will have no immunity from prosecution, and the other side will go after him like hungry dogs over a piece of fresh meat. Is he doing a "Mandella", letting himself be "sacrificed" in order to come out at the end a better man? I think, and this is my personal opinion, that he's showing a sense of moral bravery by doing this. Perhaps he really is willing to sacrifice himself for the betterment of the country, but a little voice in the back of my head says: "Don't fall for that one".

So, to be honest, I'm not sure what to think. It could always be the possibility that he's simply tired of Thai politics and is hanging up his political hat and going to do something else. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Or he is simply what he has always shown himself to be...an honest that politician. One of the very few.
  • Like 1

That is what I was thinking.So far his proposals haven't been released to the public and this leak is just half of one of the proposals the other half involves the Shins taking a break,win win Suthep is happy and goes home,Dems put up Korn for PM. Mark gets to clear his name without immunity and PTP/Reds held accountable,Thailand wins.

We pretty much agree on his strategy, (you see it as a win-win, but I don't see how stopping the voters voting for the most popular candidate is a win, more an anti-democratic attempt to rig elections).

But yeh, he'll want Yingluk to resign to make it easier for the Democrats to win, and in return unelectable Mark will also step down, but I suspect his backer has already lined up a more electable replacement for him anyway.

I think he wanted to delay elections, to demand she resign prior to elections, (for a surprise section 180 lawyer trick, eject the government put in appointed government). Now that they've decided the election schedule, he'll have to settle for her not running for fresh elections.

However she will be running for elections, his demand will be rejected, the Democrats will not be running. Suthep & Abhisit will attempt to block elections for the south again (elections in the south would create a new opposition party and remove any remaining legitimacy he has, so they cannot allow elections in opposition strong-hold regions). They'll try to void the elections again.

Judging by your posts you must have a really good crystal ball based on your speculations & assumptions. I realise we are all entitled to our opinions but your comments in bold are just supposition.

• Like 1

Not bad for someone that hasn't done an honest day's work in his life. Old silver spoon veggie.

Yingluck 500 miljon, how much honest work has she done?

Lets see how she fares with her up and coming legal issues before we jump to the conclusion of SHE will be running,these proposals could be a way out for her to save the families face,remember a few weeks backs Mr T was testing the waters about his family taking a break. Try not to be so negative about the situation,she maybe popular but she isn't very gifted in running the country.

A bit offtopic but I did notice your absence during the last red rally,after you spent days scrutinizing Sutheps rally with formulae and selected photos but not a squeak about the reds rally.

Yeh, I was at that rally. I was about 700m from the front stage on the left (I'm the one in red smile.png ), sadly this also meant I was away and didn't have a computer and internet. I've only had full internet for the last few days, and been on 3G smartphone.

Peak was about 8:30pm-10pm on first day, I estimate about 50k (based on density, it was a 1.25km road, with about 2x25m wide sections, so lets say 20m+20m to allow for a bit for stalls and toilets. Low density crowd, the Bangkokpost and Nation drone photos look like a high density 4/m2 but that was density near the front stage and each of the repeater TV screens, between these it was sparse, so overall go for the low density 1/m2 = 1* 40*1250 = 50k tops.

There were some in the park, and some in the east side of the road, but I'm taking those as 0, well at least small enough not to significantly affect a total.

During the quiet of Sunday afternoon it was sparse, 5k to 10k tops. That group was the people who came from Issan, Chiang Mai and some from the South. They had come far for the whole weekend and were camping in the park. During the night it filled up with Central and Bangkok folk (I ask about 20 people, none were Burmese or Cambodia).

The thing is "Would it make any difference?" He boycotted the last election - so his absence in the next one really makes no difference. Will he be missed? Oh! Is that what he wants? As some girls remark - Check Rating! ha ha....

• Like 2

Yingluck 500 miljon, how much honest work has she done?

Work Experiences

2006-2011

: Chairman, SC Asset Corporation Public Company Limited, a property development business with top ten ranking in Thailand and classified as "Excellent" amongst listed companies in the property and construction sector

Wide-ranging experiences in Branding, Corporate Culture, Operation Management, Services, Corporate Culture, Technology Innovation, Franchise System.

1999 - 2006 : Advanced Info Service Public Company Limited

2002 : President

2001 : Senior Executive Vice President-Wireless Corporate Planning 1999 : Executive Vice President - Service Operation 1995 - 1999 : Shinawatra Directories Company Limited 1997 : Vice President - Shinawatra Directories Production 1995 : General Manager Shinawatra Directories Production 1994 : Rainbow Media Company Limited General Manager 1993 : Shinawatra Directories Company Limited Production Director

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/announcements/cv-of-prime-minister-yingluck-shinawatra

Abhisit http://www.abhisit.org/360detail.php?cate_id=16

Prior to 1992:

- Special lecturer in Economics at Oxford University

- Lecturer at Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy (rank second lieutenant)

- Lecturer at Thammasart University’s Faculty of Economics

After 1992: Member of Parliament, Democrat Party

- 1992 Bangkok District 6

- 1995 Bangkok District 5

- 2001 Democrat Party List

- 2005 Democrat Party List, until February 2006

- 2007 (23 dec 07) Democrat Party List Zone 6

1992 – 1994: Government Spokesperson

1994: Deputy Secretary to the Prime Minister (for political affairs)

1995: Chair, House Committee on Education Affairs

1998: Chair, Committee to Consider the National Education Bill of 1999

1999: Deputy Leader, Democrat Party

2001: Minister to the Prime Minister’s Office, in charge of

- Board of Investment (BOI)

- Counter Corruption Commission

- Office of the Education Council

- Office of the Decentralization to Local Government Organization Committee

2005 – Present: Leader of the Democrat Party

2005 – February 2006: Leader of the Opposition, House of Representatives

February 2008 - December 2008: Leader of the Opposition, House of Representatives

Judging by your posts you must have a really good crystal ball based on your speculations & assumptions. I realise we are all entitled to our opinions but your comments in bold are just supposition.

One mans supposition is anothers prediction.

I can expand my reasoning if you like.

I'm assuming that Abhisit has no real offer different from his previous demands that she resign, a position he's repeated many times before, echoing Suthep. If you can propose what he might suggest different from that, please do, and we can examine the merits.

What leverage does Abhisit have? Only that he will run or not run at elections. He's lost all his elections, so that's not worth much. If he has other leverage please explain your ideas.

Does he control Suthep? No, so he can't stop Suthep blocking elections and can't offer it.

Will his offer be accepted? No. He loses elections and has botched this coup. You *want* someone like that to compete against in an election! If anything they want him to stay opposition leader!

So, he knows he will lose, he knows he can't stop Suthep trying to block, he's already had 2 chances to run at elections and turned both down. If he runs at election, Suthep will split his vote and kill his party. If he doesn't run at elections, but doesn't assist in killing elections, his party is gone anyway. Hence he'll back Suthep one more time and try to kill elections again.

Right now I think the most pressing thing for him is the 30 day limit. His MPs were locked into the Democrat Party at the last elections, they're able to jump to another opposition party at this election, so he's stalling to try to keep them on board.

He's had a week, met with EC, submitted no idea, it would take a phone call to find out if his idea is acceptable, 10 minutes and he'd know, so there is nothing of substance there. Yet he continues to stall.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger
  • Like 2

erm..... Nothing to do with strategies.. they simply have not resorted to insane populist policies costing the tax payer trillions of baht.

Thaksin paid off the voters with other people's money.

Abhisit's achillies heal was that he has integrity and a proper concern for the nation.... unlike the bent ex PM who now can't even step foot in his own country again. While Abhisit is free to come and go at will.

If you don't think Abhisit's current strategy is winning the country over, then you are either blind or stupid and judging by the footy team you support I would say you are both.

Please don't resort to personal insults, the quality and content or your posts are quite enough to insult the intelligence of TVF readers. You, along with Costas are the resident WUM's but keep it civil please.

You should also be asking anteater to keep it civil in terms of good balance but then again he only slags anyone who is not red.

Abhisit is the only politician attempting to do something positive.

PTP look more and more like a bunch of kleptomaniacal chimpanzees by the minute

He manages to catch the opposition with their pants down before they even realise their collective thingamajigs have been exposed

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Abhisit is the only politician attempting to do something positive.

PTP look more and more like a bunch of kleptomaniacal chimpanzees by the minute

He manages to catch the opposition with their pants down before they even realise their collective thingamajigs have been exposed

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Elections are a positive thing. He's trying to block them (ok, delay them for an indefinite period), which is a negative thing.

I don't get your pants down reference, it's just wishful thinking, he's a bit dozy to me. Most likely a lawyer has been examining the EC's plans and he's been advised to buy some time to keep his MPs in the Democrat party.

If he was running for elections, he'd be planning his campaign now, and selecting his candidates for each seat, not stalling.

You don't begin an election campaign with a "well perhaps I won't be running unless you agree to these secret conditions I won't say".

Say we're looking at early June registrations for July elections, MP's need to resign from the Democrat party and jump ship to one of the other yellow opposition parties NOW, to qualify under the 30 day limit. Do not let this idiot drag you down Yellow MPs.

Get into other party lists, and win those easy seats in the south and represent your constiuents. You can see Abhisit is finished and he's admitting it here, there will be no new Democrat leader because he will not resign quickly enough to permit one, so you will be doomed if you stay in the Democrat party.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger
  • Like 1