Abhisit to skip next poll if proposal accepted

webfact

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A hell of a sacrifice and a good move by the master strategist.

Not only has he made the new pre-election reform proposals a real possibility, he has also shown Yingluck that her cling to power is even more obnoxious now.

With the above speculators trying to figure out what is happening in the background, you have to remember this guy is under threat of assassination. That has to count for something.

If between him and Suthep, over the next few years they can prove that they have reformed Thailand to the best of their ability and that sentiment is echoed from all corners of the Nation, it leaves the door open for his return in such a way that the Dems may walk straight into power at a later election on the back of this.

He may even end up in a lesser role, or he may even be put in charge of the main reforms. This will also be very good because it would also give Suthep what he wants... 'reforms that are free of politicians'... which is something else that has not yet been touched on in this thread.

It seems to me that this is not something he decided last night.... this is something himself and Suthep could well have agreed prior to the new set of proposals were announced last week.

A great game of strategy if you ask me.... He has now made it all but impossible for anyone to turn this down.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva announced on Thursday via Facebook post that if his proposal is accepted, he would not run in the next election.

He will reveal the details of his proposal,

Master strategist my ass, its quite simple. He knows the democrats are losing support far more than PTP so hes offering not to run because he knows they cant win.

14074934193_e633770928_o.jpg

14051714631_65d278dd6d_o.jpg

source bangkok pundit

The democrats have lost massive support, this is just an exercise to make him seem like hes making a sacrifice..... hes not its just a cop out.

Any bets on one point of his proposal being Yingluck takes a break as well ? whistling.gif

When one looks at that table and applies the change from the previous fully contested election to now then the least of concerns there is Abhisit's or the Dems lack of support. The huge massive change is lack of support for the puppet PM and then the next is for the governing Pheu Thai criminals. Again Abhisit has the intelligence to know he is not a solution in the Red Khwai's eyes at least (due to being the one who had to put down Thaksin's treacherous attack on Thailand, the Thai Army and the Thai people) in spite of his honesty and morality, while the PM puppet and the Pheu Thai criminals who have lost most support due to their corruption, lawlessness, incompetence and lack of morality cling to the feed trough like the low life crims they are.

Edited by Roadman

Problem is people like you calling people kwais because they support a party that was the only one to do anything for them and thinking without another party appealing to them they will just magically change allegiance .... they wont and why would they ?

The funny part is the money wasted by the dems and supporters on ( PDRC is the same in funding as the dems ) this dramahad been directed at political policy and campaigning as it would be in any sensible country it would have probably had a better result and without doubt a lot less deaths.

I think the numbers in that table just show how fed up the people are with the dems for not even bothering to contest in an election. .... once again they had the chance to be a real alternative but turned their back on the real power to elect them.... the disheartened rural class you so lovingly call kwais.

• Like 1

Perhaps I'm just too cynical, but my take away from his statements are that he knows that at least one of his proposals will cross the line and be unacceptable to the opposition which will be his out to contest the election if they ask for a compromise, but still have the Democrats participate. We already saw a hint of something of this nature with his blanket request to ban populist policies during campaigning when PT is a populist party, leading me to believe such a proposal if accepted would be used to disqualify the party as the definition is vague enough that it could be used however the election commission would wish (And I think they all know that they would take that opportunity if given the chance). At face value it seems like a serious attempt at reconciliation and a recognition that his name does more harm than good, but I don't feel like he's earned anyone's trust yet.

Just1Voice has a point. Mark is already stinking rich. Why not get out of politics altogether, take a position on the Board of some large company, earn a salary far higher than he's worth and live the good life out of the limelight.

...which totally undermines the nonsensical point which terryp tries to make in post #7.

I don't think anyone could actually buy the graces and favours of Abhisit, and I have no doubt he would do very well in a senior position in a conglomerate, but I actually believe he is the man to drag Thailand kicking and screaming into the 21st century, so I for one would like to see him winning an election on merit, and being given the chance to make this place the success that it could be.

Abhisit is the only politician attempting to do something positive.

PTP look more and more like a bunch of kleptomaniacal chimpanzees by the minute

He manages to catch the opposition with their pants down before they even realise their collective thingamajigs have been exposed

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Elections are a positive thing. He's trying to block them (ok, delay them for an indefinite period), which is a negative thing.

I don't get your pants down reference, it's just wishful thinking, he's a bit dozy to me. Most likely a lawyer has been examining the EC's plans and he's been advised to buy some time to keep his MPs in the Democrat party.

If he was running for elections, he'd be planning his campaign now, and selecting his candidates for each seat, not stalling.

You don't begin an election campaign with a "well perhaps I won't be running unless you agree to these secret conditions I won't say".

Say we're looking at early June registrations for July elections, MP's need to resign from the Democrat party and jump ship to one of the other yellow opposition parties NOW, to qualify under the 30 day limit. Do not let this idiot drag you down Yellow MPs.

Get into other party lists, and win those easy seats in the south and represent your constiuents. You can see Abhisit is finished and he's admitting it here, there will be no new Democrat leader because he will not resign quickly enough to permit one, so you will be doomed if you stay in the Democrat party.

Abhisit's plans are probably not for wider consumption for a number of good reasons. One of them may be that in line with him exiting the leadership that the Shinawatra clan follow suit.

However if you view this a subterfuge then that's really your call

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

She's standing, she's already planning her election campaign, potential candidates are already polishing their CVs, and the red protest rallys are already more like "get out the vote and win those elections" rallies.

Him, he's not standing. Whether his party stands or not? Well Suthep has set his latest "final" march for 14th May. So Abhisit will probably be stalling till 20th May (he spends about a week to make any decision). Then announce his party won't be standing at elections.

Do you think it's like lemmings? That somehow he will throw himself off a cliff and she will follow? Why?

If she is convicted she can't stand for the election.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app