Central Pattaya: 3BB versus TOT

Suradit69

I don't gamble when I try out new services. I keep the existing ones until I'm happy with the new ones. It's a bit easier for me because living in a townhouse it's easy to run the lines straight from the poles outside. .

Yeah, but usually you have to sign a one-year contract for a new line.

So, what do you do, if you're unhappy with your new service?

Get a Thai to sign up for a month for you.

• Like 1

I don't gamble when I try out new services. I keep the existing ones until I'm happy with the new ones. It's a bit easier for me because living in a townhouse it's easy to run the lines straight from the poles outside. .

Yeah, but usually you have to sign a one-year contract for a new line.

So, what do you do, if you're unhappy with your new service?

Read the fine print and find a way out. If you're paying for a decent service I doubt it's going to be crap. TOT was the only really crap service I had, but that was only 590 per month, so I kept it as my 3rd back up. Other than that, in all the time I've been here I've never had a basic service - I always go premium.

I suspect you're trying to find a good cheap service as most people are. Why not give CAT a go. You don't hear much about them on these forums because they cost more. I'm paying 1,650 for 7Mb/1Mb. I've had it for 18 months and it's been really good - and you get good customer service, I can contact the support team by email and have someone out very quickly. If CAT can't give you a good line, nobody can. They own the Internet in Thailand.

There's some pretty amazing technology out now. I use both my connections at the same time using Connectify Dispatch and Switchboard. (sorry, you'll need to pay for these, but they're cheap right now as they're still in beta testing). Switchboard will accelerate your connections through speed servers and double as a VPN, Dispatch will balance them and effectively combine their speeds - good for bit-torrents. You can join as many connections as you want - you can even add your 3G mobile connections in, or add them in to be used as backup if your other connections go down or go slow - automatically with no input from you.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

. But who really needs 30 Mb? You can slow down your connection to 6 Mb and you will find out that all streaming services still will work. And if not just the server delivering them might have a problem but not your (shared) connection.

Who needs 30Mb? I don't, but if I can get it I won't complain. I was looking at the CAT business package for the upload speed, which is sadly lacking on all cheap services available here.

I see it the same as Turkleton. It will be very hard to get a new internet provider without a longer contract. In respect of 3BB. I had it for very many years - not only for 18 months like tropo his CAT connection (I have been living here for almost 15 years and I had internet all the time). So I am not trying to find a good cheap service. I had a very good service with 3BB for many years. Just recently when they split the line with TT&T the problems started. By the way my girlfriend had CAT in her office here in Pattaya. Was an endless nightmare and a lot of money for it. In my experience it depends pretty much where you live and here even on the building or even on the room in your condo complex. So it is hard to give an advice that this or that ISP is good or not. And I had this experience with a friend of mine just 2 floors up. He asked me six months ago if I am happy with 3BB. I said yes and then he took 3BB as ISP (13Mb/1Mb). Now we both have the same problems and I feel very guilty :-(((

I see it the same as Turkleton. It will be very hard to get a new internet provider without a longer contract. In respect of 3BB. I had it for very many years - not only for 18 months like tropo his CAT connection (I have been living here for almost 15 years and I had internet all the time).

Tropo has used 3BB as long as they've existed and before when they were TT&T. They changed to 3BB in 2009, and split from the TT&T telephone lines, so the longest you could have had 3BB is about 5 years. Is that "very many years"?

Tropo also used CAT from 2006 until 2011 at another place of residence.

But really, the history of these connections is irrelevant as they change over time. Your girlfriend may have had trouble with CAT, but if you're going to have trouble, it's better to have it with CAT as they have a very good customer support. Your girlfriend was very unlucky. Do you actually know what her problem was?

Tropo is not correct. I had dial-up, then TOT, then TT&T (I had the phone line too what you needed at this time for internet) and then 3BB - but still running on the TT&T telephone line until November 2013. The companies split up earlier but not all their lines. In November 2013 I needed two lines into my room - one for telephone and one for ADSL. Before both lines were 1 and I used a splitter to separate the frequencies. Since the phone runs with higher voltage that helped the connection a lot. Now this helper is gone...and so the good connection.

In respect of the CAT connection. She had endless connection problems (in Naklua). Then she changed to 3BB and the problems were gone. In the meantime this girlfriend is gone too and so she has even less problems :-) No, we are still very good friends but not more and our connection is now better than ever :-))) Her 3BB still works too.

Edited by Beggar

Tropo is not correct. I had dial-up, then TOT, then TT&T (I had the phone line too what you needed at this time for internet) and then 3BB - but still running on the TT&T telephone line until November 2013. The companies split up earlier but not all their lines. In November 2013 I needed two lines into my room - one for telephone and one for ADSL. Before both lines were 1 and I used a splitter to separate the frequencies. Since the phone runs with higher voltage that helped the connection a lot. Now this helper is gone...and so the good connection.

Tropo has been using a non-telephone, dedicated line for 3BB since 2009. The point was that you were bragging about how long you've used 3BB, but it has only been 3BB since 2009. Previous to that it was called Maxnet... and Tropo has been with CAT for about 7 years in total (2006 - 2011, 2012 - present). He took a break when he moved to an area where it wasn't available at the time.

Read the fine print and find a way out. If you're paying for a decent service I doubt it's going to be crap. TOT was the only really crap service I had, but that was only 590 per month, so I kept it as my 3rd back up. .........................................

I doubt, I guess.....

Much written, but no serious answer.

So again:

What do you do if your new line is crap not sufficient but you had to sign a one year contract to get it?

Just paying?

However, why not tell us, which ISP allows "try-out" contracts, or even contracts with a monthly cancelling option.

Source?

That is possible with which ISP?

Definitely not TOT....

^^ everything I've written is serious, in fact I've gone out of my way to write informative posts with much information.

You're looking for a good cheap service? You're looking for something which doesn't exist.

You want to try a company which does one month deals? Sophon Broadband does - I've tried their services twice already. The services they offer are identical in price to the same CAT services.

Have a look at the better services offered. Sophon and CAT also have cheaper services than these (this is a new price list from last month)

NEW ON Net Eng Gold Price .pdf

Source?

That is possible with which ISP?

Definitely not TOT....

Go do your homework instead of just sitting and holding your mouth open and waiting to be spoonfed. You haven't asked TOT whether a Thai can sign a month-to-month contract--nor any of the others.

Next.

Somehow this topic is getting very off topic. There are people who have (suddenly) problems with their 3BB connection. And then there are people with an advice like this or other:

"You're looking for a good cheap service? You're looking for something which doesn't exist."

I think in this thread there is no help to expect... But I have more than 40 years IT experience. I better should rely on this I guess ;-)

Somehow this topic is getting very off topic. There are people who have (suddenly) problems with their 3BB connection. And then there are people with an advice like this or other: "You're looking for a good cheap service? You're looking for something which doesn't exist." I think in this thread there is no help to expect... But I have more than 40 years IT experience. I better should rely on this I guess ;-)

You must be blind then. The topic is clearly "3BB versus TOT".

Stating you have over 40 years experience is meaningless unless you post your resume. People can dream on here and say what they like.