Hitachi air conditioners, good?

JSixpack

I see Home Pro has a sale on a Hitachi 24,000 BTU for about B10,000 off. Anybody had any experience with these? Yes, I know most everyone loves Mitsubishi and Daikin, though somewhere Naam said he'd go w/ Panasonic next time.

I'm looking at the new triangular Samsung.
Any reviews? ??

Good prices on Samsung, but most previous posts here about it are negative. I do recall at least one poster liked the the brand. Believe he had a smaller one, or two.

I just bought a new floor fan at Home Works last week. They had some of those low priced Hitachi's up front; but I didn't like the looks of them. Tripod stand style that looked like it belongs on a factory floor. 

I bought a brand I have never heard of, Astina. It's a Thai brand, and wasn't cheap. It was 28K for the 16" fan, with the usual height adjustment and swing options. Also has an Ion option, as well as something they call a "Wind" adjustment. I have no clue what that means, so if anyone knows, please tell me. (Instructions are all in Thai.) As I said, I've only had it for a week, so can't give it any more of an evaluation than to say that it's working fine, so far. :-)

Home Works now has a whole line of these Astina brand fans. As usual with Thai stores, they virtually shut out most other options when they're pushing one brand. 

I just bought a new floor fan at Home Works last week. They had some of those low priced Hitachi's up front; but I didn't like the looks of them. Tripod stand style that looked like it belongs on a factory floor. 

I bought a brand I have never heard of, Astina. It's a Thai brand, and wasn't cheap. It was 28K for the 16" fan, with the usual height adjustment and swing options. Also has an Ion option, as well as something they call a "Wind" adjustment. I have no clue what that means, so if anyone knows, please tell me. (Instructions are all in Thai.) As I said, I've only had it for a week, so can't give it any more of an evaluation than to say that it's working fine, so far. :-)

Home Works now has a whole line of these Astina brand fans. As usual with Thai stores, they virtually shut out most other options when they're pushing one brand. 

The OP's subject is air conditioners. Anyway, surely you didn't pay 28,000 baht for a floor fan? 

• Haha 2

I see Home Pro has a sale on a Hitachi 24,000 BTU for about B10,000 off. Anybody had any experience with these?

I have a 24KBTU Hitachi. The inverter model. Got it from Numchai for about 38,000B including fitting and pipes and what-have-you a few months ago. That was also about 10KB off the list price (which is probably a fantasy price anyway).

I think it's great. Quiet, powerful, efficient and my electricity bill is barely a third of what it used to be with the crappy old no-name thing it replaced. smile.png

You say 10KB off, but what price is HomePro starting at? (When I looked they didn't carry the inverter model in that size.)

• Like 1

I see Home Pro has a sale on a Hitachi 24,000 BTU for about B10,000 off. Anybody had any experience with these?

I have a 24KBTU Hitachi. The inverter model. Got it from Numchai for about 38,000B including fitting and pipes and what-have-you a few months ago. That was also about 10KB off the list price (which is probably a fantasy price anyway).

I think it's great. Quiet, powerful, efficient and my electricity bill is barely a third of what it used to be with the crappy old no-name thing it replaced. smile.png

You say 10KB off, but what price is HomePro starting at? (When I looked they didn't carry the inverter model in that size.)

Thanks. It's a standard, usually priced at about 40K. 7 year warranty on compressor, free installation (but I'd expect ++). Supported by local Hitachi. I do expect my electric bill will substantially decrease!

Why do you expect your electric bill to substantially decrease? There are a lot of factors to consider for air conditioning efficiency.

Got all the factors covered except for replacing "the crappy old no-name thing" w/ one 15 years younger. 

Thanks. It's a standard, usually priced at about 40K. 7 year warranty on compressor, free installation (but I'd expect ++). Supported by local Hitachi. I do expect my electric bill will substantially decrease!

Personally I would pay the extra 8-9K for the inverter model (assuming it can still be had at that price).

It's very pleasant not having the noise of the compressor starting up, and having the constant flow of air at exactly the right temperature rather than the switching between cold and not so cold that one often gets with the non-inverter models.

Of course this does depend on how you will be using the thing.
  • Like 2

If you buy a new technology Hitachi air conditioner your Electric consumption will certainly go down. I have three of the older ones that I've been using for thirteen years with no maintenance required except for filter change and cleaning.
  • Like 1

I had 2 Toshibas that I bought at central air. They were awesome machines . Any idiot could figure out the timer for night time. We now have Diakin & they are real good except the newer ones you just cant set the timer for 1/2 hour 1 hr 2 hr. ETC. The diakin I almost needed a degree in Diakinology to figure out. The Toshiba was super dumbed down so anyone 6 years old up to nearly dead could figure it out without looking at diagrams. Hitachi has a pretty good name & are fairly quiet. Which to me is a major concern. I know the cheaper Hatier- York  brands make a lot of noise. Numchai is a great place to purchace as the sales team have way more of a clue & speak English well. Home pro can't even tell you about any products since they just train the staff to slam you into the best commisionable units. And with Homepro always a problem when things need to return or even fix. But I have bought there knowing even though it was a good price I need to go to Numchai to find out the specs.& the how to when minor problems arise. Central is very good as well. Only problem is it is all Thai now that the person that spoke English well left a couple years back . But they do stand behind their sales & take care of problems quickly no stories like Homepro. I don't  see how you can go wrong with a Hitachi . They do have good stuff....Even in the Thai made option.

Good luck on your decision!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So, Hitachi Inverter users, how is life a few months down the line?  I'm considering buying 3 for a new house currently under construction but the more I search the internet the more confused I become.  I had pretty much settled on the Hitachi's then read that maybe LG and Sharp are just as good, but a fair bit cheaper, or maybe Mitsubishi or Daikin............      Everywhere I look I seem to come up with a different answer!

So, Hitachi Inverter users, how is life a few months down the line?

I'm still as happy as a pig in sh**.

Maybe I'll join you for a wallow!!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I had pretty much settled on the Hitachi's then read that maybe LG and Sharp are just as good, but a fair bit cheaper, or maybe Mitsubishi or Daikin............      Everywhere I look I seem to come up with a different answer!

It's like cars: everyone has their favourite brand.

I asked the guys from Numchai when they came to clean my unit (free) and they seemed to favour Daikin and Mitsubishi, both of which seem to cost more than other brands. They also said that Hitachi was OK. Butif you have the extra 10 or 15k to spare then why not get a more expensive brand? My choice was dictated more by the limited area in which I could install the unit without altering the ceiling, and the Hitachi model fitted where others didnt.

The only thing I am pretty sure about is that the inverter technology both adds comfort (quiet running, even temperatures) and decreases electricity consumption. Which is also what all the manufacturers and reviewers seem to say.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies.  It was feedback from people actually using Hitachi's that I was after and you appear to confirm that they are a pretty decent bet.  The quiet running, even temperatures and reduced running costs are what I am looking for so will probably go with the Inverters.

• 3 years later...

Hello,

Can you tell me if you are still happy with Hitachi aircon ?

And also inverter ?

I already had an inverter at another place but I have never seen any decrease of my bills, so are you sure that all inverters use less juice ?

The only great point is to be able to eat under the outside unit and almost do not hear it.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, gaff said:

Hello,

Can you tell me if you are still happy with Hitachi aircon ?

And also inverter ?

I already had an inverter at another place but I have never seen any decrease of my bills, so are you sure that all inverters use less juice ?

The only great point is to be able to eat under the outside unit and almost do not hear it.

Thanks.

Time flies. Four years on and mine's still working great. Serviced regularly by Numchai, no problems. Seems quiet enough, but I don't eat outside under it, so YMMV. My electric bill went down substantially 'cause it replaced an ancient "crappy no-name thingy." Perhaps an inverter would do even better but of course they do cost more and you may read various opinions about inverters in previous forum threads.

Numchai will always recommend Daikin or Mitsubishi but the sale I found when I was in dire need was on Hitachis at HomePro. Maybe they are better, even probably, but again you can always find disgruntled purchasers here. 

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1