Former Phuket police volunteer Garry Halpin jailed for dealing meth

webfact

Former Phuket police volunteer jailed for dealing meth
Phuket Gazette - 2014-05-01 05:20 PM

1_20145117810308_sEDByZmYpwngJwQAoSKcJfp
Former Tourist Police Volunteer Gary Halpin was convicted of dealing a Category 1 Drug. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- Long-term expat and former Tourist Police Volunteer Garry Halpin was sentenced to nine years and eight months in prison for overstaying his visa and dealing a Category 1 Drug to teenagers in southern Phuket.

Because Mr Halpin confessed to the charges during his trial, his sentence was halved. The original fine of 500,000 baht is now 250,000 baht, and he will serve four years and 10 months behind bars.

Mr Halpin was arrested at the Chalong Villa and Spa on December 14, where he was found in possession of more than 18g of ya ice (crystal methamphetamine), drug paraphernalia, a digital scale and cough syrup.

“Garry was a Tourist Police Volunteer who always helped the Chalong Police to communicate with tourists. He worked closely with police, and used this connection to convince foreigners that he could do what he wanted, right or wrong,” Lt Col Jarun Bangprasert of the Phuket Provincial Police said shortly after Mr Halpin’s arrest.

Police received a tip-off about Mr Halpin going crooked after a 25-year-old was arrested in Rawai on December 13.

Lersak Thaitae told police that he sold ya ice to Mr Halpin, who would then turn around a re-distribute the drug to tourists and teenagers in the area.

Police quickly scrambled a sting operation and had Mr Lersak call Mr Halpin.

“He was told that there wasn’t much left in the batch. However, there was enough for us to come in and make an arrest,” Lt Col Bangprasert said.

— Saran Mitrarat

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Former-Phuket-police-volunteer-jailed-dealing-meth/29312

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-05-01

"nine years and eight months in prison for overstaying his visa and dealing a Category 1 Drug to teenagers"

Swift judgement - I guess cos he confessed. I wonder how much for overstay and how much for the drugs. Halved because he confessed. Much less than I expected.

Police volunteer = joke!

tell that to the english guy down at chalong circle, he busting both foreigners and thais..

English guy? What's he doing at Chalong Circle? Can they be traffic cops too???

He got off light.

This sort of Scum Bag makes it BAD for all Ferang. Selling drugs to kids.... he should have got LIFE!!!!

He should get the ultimate fine!

So, it seems that you can drive a car and kill up to 9 people and get off scot free, or drag a policeman through the streets of Bangkok, with a Ferrari, and get off Scot free...

So drug dealing gains you a harsher sentence ???

Prison in Thailand is definetly not for the faint hearted....

• Like 1

Police volunteer = joke!

Hiding behind a uniform

Look like that man than showed me some road rage then when of stopped the car he showed me his police cap and said If I take him on then I take on the Phuket police

I did not care but had better things to do

Not very surprised. One of the most unpleasant experiences of my long-ish time in Thailand was dealing with the farang "police" volunteers in Pattaya last year. Insulting, judgmental creatures for the most part, who even pointed me towards some aging Thai man who might be able to help recover my stolen phone (I had name, location and picture of the thief) if I coughed up a "tip". I did and the man did nothing, including not even taking my phone calls the next day, as instructed.

Thailand needs to evaluate the effectiveness of these volunteers along with some training and some (dare I say it) supervision! Just because they may have some credentials from their home country of being somehow connected to law enforcement there, they are not necessarily respectful, law-abiding people.

Sentence seems fare to me. No four years ten months will be no walk in the park here in Thailand. Also if he cannot pay the fine

the jail term will be extended greatly.

Thailand imitates the so called "War on Drugs" from USA. In Thailand it´s also a business. Thai police has a lot of help from volunteer citizens (ex cops,soldiers,criminals). who receive a provision for any User or Dealer they catch.

I think 5 years in any prison is a long time. I hope he will be free earlier and I hope he learnt something.

Tom

So, it seems that you can drive a car and kill up to 9 people and get off scot free, or drag a policeman through the streets of Bangkok, with a Ferrari, and get off Scot free...

So drug dealing gains you a harsher sentence ???

Prison in Thailand is definetly not for the faint hearted....

• Like 1

Why do you think he "sullies the good name of the rest of us"?

He doesn't. It's all in your mind.

Speak for yourself.

I did.

So, let me get this clear. Because another farang commits a crime, you're afraid that other Thais will think you're a criminal, too and just as bad?

If that is true, then that particular Thai must be very unintelligent and not worthy of worrying about.

I think you under-estimate most Thais, which could be construed as rather insulting.

Speak for yourself.

I'm sure is is speaking for himself, I happen to agree with him though.

But maybe you can answer the question 'Why do you think he "sullies the good name of the rest of us"?'

Speak for yourself.

I did.

So, let me get this clear. Because another farang commits a crime, you're afraid that other Thais will think you're a criminal, too and just as bad?

If that is true, then that particular Thai must be very unintelligent and not worthy of worrying about.

I think you under-estimate most Thais, which could be construed as rather insulting.

Who said or thought that? Farangs are very well thought of by Thais where I live and reading about something like this isn't good for the general perception. Just as the pictures coming out of Bangkok recently or any other negative press about Thailand isn't good for the image of Thailand. The effect of that being reduction in visitors, business confidence, a falling baht etc.

On this issue, there are many negative comments being made about police volunteers because he was one.

Get me or not?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I wonder if a non-foreigner would also be fine 250,000K.

I know Thais in jail for possession of yaa ba, and they got longer sentences and no fine. Or maybe approximately the same sentence plus fine but could not pay the fine.

• Like 1

Speak for yourself.

I did.

Sir, I partially concur with you here but even more mysterious is the statement alluding to the fact that the evil farang has a good name to besmirch. They come over here with their money, international aid, technology, etc, and then demand a good name...I dunno. As to either over/under estimating the locals – don’t, it will make your brain ache too mutt.

It is easy...in Thailand...for a person lacking in moral convictions...to join in the corruption...he is guilty of making poor choices...his sentence is in keeping with the crime...in a land filled with criminals...from politicians to street vendors...