Attempted short change or just honest mistake

vagabond48

"No tilac,,, I come to bed later,,, right now,,, someone is wrong on internet,,,, I have to reply ",,,,, sad really,,,, actually,, REALLY,REALLY SAD

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"No tilac,,, I come to bed later,,, right now,,, someone is wrong on internet,,,, I have to reply ",,,,, sad really,,,, actually,, REALLY,REALLY SAD

Posted from,, soi cowboy loser,,,, lol

Honest mistake ... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I don't know the mentioned Central Festival is PKT or Pattaya, but when I lived in PKT this action was a daily routine.

From Carrefour, through banks to market.

The best one was the gasoline station at Patong in the road to Phuket Town.

If you paid with 500 or 1000 note the guy came back with lot of 20 - 50 B notes and wathed you. If you put the money to your pocket withour checking you lost, if started to check: solly, solly, and gave the missing 1 or 2 pieces 50 or 100 B notes. Very special how he knew the missing amount. Smart.

I picked up gasoline a few times free.

When he gave me back the big quantity notes I turned around and moved, started to check the money. 1 or 2 notes I put ti my jacket pocket, than turned back to him and showed something is wrong. He gave me the missing note, solly, solly, but I gave him back all the money, cause the mistake wasn't finish.

He went back to the cashier with a full "I don't understand" face, and brought me back the right amount and the tip was my pocket already.

The problem was only you couldn't make this trick many times cause they would remembered you.

No, I'M NOT SHY AT ALL ABOUT IT CAUSE THEY ARE THE BIGGEST THIEFS and som nam na.

Edited by Loles

I've been overcharged a few times in Thailand but more often in Vietnam. My most memorable deliberate overcharging experience happened at a Starbucks in a small town in Pennsylvania. I had large bills because I was traveling and when I bought my cafe mocha, I gave the barrista a $100 bill. She gave me back change for a ten. I did not notice right away but as I settled down to drink my coffee, I realized what had happened. As I walked back up to the register, she just handed over the remaining $90 with a tight little smile. BTW, in Pennsylvania double mochas are popular but I've never seen them anywhere else. At most Starbucks, they make you pay for any extra chocolate!

i bought a coffee for 30 baht or so and received change for a 1,000 baht, i only gave the girl 100 baht. i was a bit confused at first, then i asked the girl, 'is this change right'? she said yes yes, thinking i was complaining maybe. i checked it again and said no it cant be right i only gave you 100 baht. she blushed and seemed to have some sort of recall and said thank you... so many times i ended up more embarrassed than she was...

I have had this happen more often than the other way around. I almost always count my change and it is usually right, but once in a while they give me too much or too little.

I have had this happen multiple times, and when I ask they say that they know their job. Dated a couple of girls from 7/11 that consistentlyn give me too much in return. basically, if they shortchange you, they think you're a dumbass.

Edited by LPCustom69

Thais will always 'try it on" to see if the can get away with it and they see it as your responsibility to pick the scam whether it is short-change, overcharging or just a common good ol' bullshit lie.

For example ,have you noticed how the that little cutie you have just met in the bar will ask you to buy her a drink or a phone or a house and when you laugh and say no, she will not blink an eyelid and keep on rubbing you up as if the request never rally came into existence .

They throw you a challenge , and if you play it better than them , then by the rules of the game , you win , they will smile , and you both keep face.

The next challenge will walk in the door in a minute so why waste time in negotiations and arguments.

It's nothing more than a game.

I am always erring on the suspicious side..........

I don't seem to get too much change very often.

Some people are very casual and do not count their change, worth a try.

I am always a little put out by the casual way the 'error' is corrected.

I've read that line a few times and can only conclude that you are calling yourself a 'soi cowboy loser'.......is that right?

If so what happened, that you would call yourself a loser?

Just asking.

I've read that line a few times and can only conclude that you are calling yourself a 'soi cowboy loser'.......is that right?

Just asking.

Ya,, thats it,, you got it,,, BTW,, how many posts per day to get over 13K?,, Handicaped? bed ridden? morbidly obese? can't get out? or simply NO social skills?

Ya,, thats it,, you got it,,, BTW,, how many posts per day to get over 13K?,, Handicaped? bed ridden? morbidly obese? can't get out? or simply NO social skills?

You're well on your way. Three posts in four minutes including one where you just quote yourself. Do you have anything at all to contribute?

My experience in the UK (I am an Aussie). Few times was overcharged at the supermarket and not even the blink of an eye or apology just gave me the difference. I told them back home we get it free if its scanned wrong. I did that once and got a free bag of $15 macadamia nuts with their jaws dropping we have rights. From what I read, I think these were honest mistakes in Thailand. Thais dont like to apologize but seem to like crawling on their hands and knees instead.

Suddenly there are lots of references to Soi Cowboy, Pataya, Nana and bar girls. These places and the people there are not exactly representative of Thailand as a whole, or Chiang Mai in particular. Being ripped off in red light districts is the norm, not the exception, and that is worldwide, not just Thailand.

I can only think of one incident in the last 10 years in which I was the victim of what I believed to be a deliberate attempt at short changing - at a gas station near the moat. It happens. On the whole, I see Thais as being very honest. The guys that hang around girly bars and seedy parts of town see it differently, surprise surprise.

Two weeks ago I stopped for fuel and told the attendant to fill it up. It came to 870 baht. I handed him 1000 baht. When he returned with my change he just handed to me and walked away. I counted how much he gave me. He gave me 870 baht. I got out of the truck and went over to him and showed how much he gave me. He was very thankful.

• Like 1

Just asking.

Average 5 posts a day.

Boy, Soi Cowboy Loser's.........really are losers. laugh.png

Edited by uptheos

Saturday night,, lemme guess,, BIG plans,, shopping at Villa Mart,,, perusing TVF for people that are, "wrong",,, then turn in late,, like 10pm,,,, lololol

Saturday night,, lemme guess,, BIG plans,, shopping at Villa Mart,,, perusing TVF for people that are, "wrong",,, then turn in late,, like 10pm,,,, lololol

Nope Saturday night is always Premier League Football night, with a few beers. Starts in 25 minutes finishes 0130.

I never said you were wrong. I agreed, you are a Soi Cowboy Loser.biggrin.png

Adios Amigo

A young male cashier at the local Tesco Express misfigured my change and gave me back a couple hundred baht too much. I didn't figure it out until I was nearly home. I went back and pointed out that he had overpaid me. He denied it, and seemed annoyed. I pulled out the receipt, proved it to him, and handed back the excess. He just grunted, still seemed annoyed. Maybe it was because his co-workers, two girls, saw the whole thing.

Back in my old struggling days I would have viewed this as in Monopoly: "Bank Error in YOUR Favor. Collect 200Baht!" But that's not me now.

It's that "face" thing again, I suppose. Still, a short till at the end of shift would have been bad for someone.

Nope Saturday night is always Premier League Football night, with a few beers. Starts in 25 minutes finishes 0130.

I never said you were wrong. I agreed, you are a Soi Cowboy Loser.biggrin.png

Adios Amigo

Hahahahah HOW'D I KNOW, you were one of those,,, that actually like grown, "men",,,, multi - millionaires,,, roll around in, "pain",, from a fly landing landing on them,, HAHAHAHAH,,, and you can ONLY use my post regarding Cowboy for your pathetic amusement,, because I failed to use a ,,,,, between Cowboy, and loser,,,, hey,, if that, "made your day",,, I'm thrilled,,, loll,, you're defining the term, "loser",,,,, you're REALLY making this too easy for me,,, I'd actually challenge you to a battle of wits,,, but it's very apparent,, you're unarmed,,,,,, 5555555

This just in,,, they're showing the, "premier league",, here,,, MAN DOWN, MAN DOWN!,,,, possibly 2,,,, apparently,, someone coughed VERY loudly in their general vicinity,,,,, 555555

First game over, needed a quick laugh at your posts before the next game laugh.png

Look forward to your more classical posting, after you've chugged down a few more cheap Chang's.

Don't forget your comma's

Pizza's arrived.

Adios Amigo.....kicking off......cheers with the cheap Chang chug a lugging thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I never worry about it. Both my wife and I count change as soon as be get it, in front of the person who gave it to us. Sure, there are some dishonest people out there, but I'll give everyone the benefit of the doubt. People make mistakes. I've made mistakes. Not everyone is a crook. And if it makes you feel more secure, at the bank insist that they run the money through the machine, or else refuse to leave the counter until you have counted all the money in front of the teller. If they call the number of the next customer, tell them they'll have to wait until you're finished. Be polite, but be assertive.

Edited by connda

There will always be people willing to part a fool from his/her money. If you fall for it, you only have yourselves to blame for not being more careful. It can happen everywhere and it does... It probably is more frequent in countries where wages are low and where there are more tourists. Some of you really need to get out more if you think this is a thai thing...

BTW, I started a little thread last week about leaving my phone and computer on a trolley at the airport and going back over an hour later and finding both of them at the information office. I also remember leaving my wallet in a hole in the wall eatery and going back an hour later to have it returned without anything missing. People can selectively choose to see what they want to make a point.

Consider this!

When people make mistakes it works both ways. So why is it that this always seems to work in their favor? This Bank Teller did not give you an extra 1,000 instead of 1,000 short. This coming from a bank I would have brought the manager over right away. I don't like to make a fuss either but when it comes to a bank you would expect not to get short changed or your Visa Card or Bank Card Information stolen. If the bank manager sides with her, close your account there and move on to a new bank.

By-the-way. If she did give you an extra 1,000 and you keep it, then you are no better than her, which is a thief! But to be honest, and in all my dealing here in Thailand over many years, I have never not once ever been given extra money by mistake. So I think Thai's are very careful counting money.

From the Food Carts and Stalls I expect to be short changed. If you are having trouble figuring out if it was an honest mistake or not go back to rule number one. Why did she not give you an extra 100 instead of being 100 short? But in this case to me this is the price of doing business here. When you are a Farang, which could mean tourist, and they are Thai, used to dealing with drunken spendthrift tourists. So expect it to happen there, watch for it, always count your change in front of them right away, and get it back. Then move on.

But this does happen in Tourist Traps all over the World. The worst place that I ever got ripped off was in Rome. But take a taxi, especially late at night and see if you get the standard Meter Rate in Prague or Warsaw. Or at least the shortest route home. Never been to Florida. Never wanted to go! But I bet it is not different their than any other Tourist Trap.

In my view both of your cases were for sure a Rip Of Attempt!