Fresh produce prices skyrocket, inflation reaches new high

webfact

The price of limes must have a huge bearing on this - the prices for them are getting out of hand, i saw shitty little ones in Tesco at the weekend 12 baht each!!

And yet my friends who like San Miguel light are still getting a wedge of lime stuffed into the tops of their bottles.

That could end soon!

Then they should drink out of a glass like civilised people.......

I prefer to be a caveman then , indulge myself on a bottle , or even better drink it right out of the barrel or bucket :)drunk.gif

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The price of limes must have a huge bearing on this - the prices for them are getting out of hand, i saw shitty little ones in Tesco at the weekend 12 baht each!!

Today I saw some Sh##ty little ones in Tesco, they also had some very small limescheesy.gif

I am working in Australia at the moment and I do my shopping at Woolworths. I see "shitty little ones" every time I shop there, usually sitting in shopping trollies screaming their rotten little heads off. You get used to it after a while. biggrin.png

Today I saw some Sh##ty little ones in Tesco, they also had some very small limescheesy.gif

I am working in Australia at the moment and I do my shopping at Woolworths. I see "shitty little ones" every time I shop there, usually sitting in shopping trollies screaming their rotten little heads off. You get used to it after a while. biggrin.png

Some of them would make good BBQs

Ahhhh Woollies a year or 2 ago the most expensive thing was sixpence. or was it more than a year or 2 thumbsup.gif

....limes?.....is that what they call those minute balls of green fruit....with a quarter of an eye dropper of juice in them.........covered in an invisible film of formaldehyde.........

• Like 1

"A Commercial Counselor, Ms Amphawan Phichalai revealed that the Consumer Price Index (CPI) inflation in April peaked at 107.47 points, which was a 2.45 percent increase from the same period last year."

Does the counselor or the journalist have any idea of what the CPI is, how it is calculated or what is indicates? The above statement makes no sense without any reference to the base year or last year's result.

what is the actual cpi?

I'd love to know where you get 2 kg of cheese for 655 baht. Makro?

What kind of cheese is that? Cheddar?

btw; have someone a clue where to get creamed spinach? BigC sold this for a while...but not anymore....

And Freindship Market sold frozen "ready to eat" smashed potato's. Also not longer available. Some ideas where to find?

Yes Cheddar there own brand name ARO which is more or less the same taste as ANCHOR., lasts about 8 months, use mostly for cooking, in or on things.. use the same brand for Butter only that is a bigger pack and last about 18 months + often see Thais buy the 3 and 5 KG packs.

Never seen aro cheese or butter in Makro pattaya..

Some products also reduce the quantity or quality, hidden inflation. Like SIngha that sells a 500 ml bottle at the same price as a 620 ml bottle before, toilet paper that is thinner than before, smaller portions at restaurants, replacing more meat with flower in processed meat, etc.

Comparing is difficult because there is no rule as in Europe to mention the price per unit (liter of kg) in supermarkets. Most Thais are poor calculators so they don't even know why their money runs out faster.

I'd love to know where you get 2 kg of cheese for 655 baht. Makro?

What kind of cheese is that? Cheddar?

btw; have someone a clue where to get creamed spinach? BigC sold this for a while...but not anymore....

And Freindship Market sold frozen "ready to eat" smashed potato's. Also not longer available. Some ideas where to find?

Yes Cheddar there own brand name ARO which is more or less the same taste as ANCHOR., lasts about 8 months, use mostly for cooking, in or on things.. use the same brand for Butter only that is a bigger pack and last about 18 months + often see Thais buy the 3 and 5 KG packs.

Never seen aro cheese or butter in Makro pattaya..

Turn left after the fish, special cheese in the first display counter and the fridge after that on your left hand has lots of ARO cheese, long rectangular blocks. Butter is after you turn right at the end of this path.

I swear that is the exact same headline I saw in a Western main-stream news article, but it was talking about the US.

Yes!!! Fresh produce prices are skyrocketing!!! Gasp! I'm shocked...truly shocked!!!

Not.

Prices have been going up steadily since I came here over seven years ago. And Thais don't raise prices just a little. They generally raise them by about 25 to 35%. But it's all relative. Your half kilo of tomatoes use to cost 10 baht and now cost 15 baht. Your 5 baht of pakchii now costs 10 baht.

Now think of it this way. You 15 baht of tomatoes cost you $3.50 in the US or Canada. So -- don't worry, be happy (that you live here). smile.png

Edited by connda

I remember the exact same thing happening about 4 or 5 years ago. Limes were just outrageous, but after a few months they came right back down. Supply and demand. The weather has been tough on citrus trees.

• Like 1

Interesting that they should add cooking gas to the list, the Government launched a one year price increase plan on cooking gas that doesn't peak until October 2014.

How much is it going up ?

I heard that electricity is going up to Singapore prices this year. I bet somchai wont like that.

I heard (TV 4-1-14) that electricity was going to be free for the grabbing out of the air. So, watt are you talking about?

Egg, Garlic and Mangoe diet it is then ! I wonder what an omlette with these ingredients would taste like ???sick.gif

oily n greasy, yet to find an omlette not like this here.

DIY my good man. My omelets are neither oily nor greasy, and I use olive oil. But sometimes Kai Jiow is just what I want. Just soak that greasy oil up with some rice! It all depends on my mood!

Edited by connda

I swear that is the exact same headline I saw in a Western main-stream news article, but it was talking about the US.

Yes!!! Fresh produce prices are skyrocketing!!! Gasp! I'm shocked...truly shocked!!!

Not.

Prices have been going up steadily since I came here over seven years ago. And Thais don't raise prices just a little. They generally raise them by about 25 to 35%. But it's all relative. Your half kilo of tomatoes use to cost 10 baht and now cost 15 baht. Your 5 baht of pakchii now costs 10 baht.

Now think of it this way. You 15 baht of tomatoes cost you $3.50 in the US or Canada. So -- don't worry, be happy (that you live here). smile.png

Dream on, go to the market yourself here and there and you will find out that food prices are the same or close here as in western Europe (I have not been in shops in the US or Canada).

• Like 1

Not.

Dream on, go to the market yourself here and there and you will find out that food prices are the same or close here as in western Europe (I have not been in shops in the US or Canada).

I go to the market a few times a week. I'm well aware of the prices, and they are nowhere near the prices in North America. And many things are a fraction of the price. What hi-so, farang oriented market do you go to? I don't know where you shop, but you must be use to paying way too much for things, or your buying imported produce and products. But who am I to burst your bubble? Dream on...

Egg, Garlic and Mangoe diet it is then ! I wonder what an omlette with these ingredients would taste like ???sick.gif

You should all try my special! Chuck spaghetti in the rice cooker, add assorted veg; meanwhile prepare a tin of sardines in a bowl, mix all sorts of stuff with this, Worcestershire sauce, peanut butter etc. Then dump your veg and spaghetti on top and cover for five minutes. Uncover and mix well. Enjoy. Yum Yum!

Did your wife leave you ? whistling.gif

• Like 2

Not.

I go to the market a few times a week. I'm well aware of the prices, and they are nowhere near the prices in North America. And many things are a fraction of the price. What hi-so, farang oriented market do you go to? I don't know where you shop, but you must be use to paying way too much for things, or your buying imported produce and products. But who am I to burst your bubble? Dream on...

Recycler must be talking about upmarket supermarkets like Rimping, in Chiang Mai. The fruit and veges can be just as expensive there as they are in western countries. I go there to buy treats that I cannot buy in the Wororot Markets, like the long bread sticks, some smallgoods, chocolate etc. Most of our stuff comes from the local markets which are a lot cheaper. I like going to both, for variety I suppose.

To base the prices found at Rimping to average food prices in Thailand would be silly.

Well, what do you know; everybody is surprised that the vicious circle is closing finally.

Some political ignorants decided to get the minimum wage, paid for by the private industry, up in case they get elected. Guess what, they got elected and the minimum wage went up. In order to pay for that minimum wage the private industry supplier had to get the money from somewhere and that is ......... the guys who have higher salaries.

In other countries it is called inflation - here I guess they call it "Thai love Thais" (no political pun intended ;-))

Well, what do you know; everybody is surprised that the vicious circle is closing finally.

Some political ignorants decided to get the minimum wage, paid for by the private industry, up in case they get elected. Guess what, they got elected and the minimum wage went up. In order to pay for that minimum wage the private industry supplier had to get the money from somewhere and that is ......... the guys who have higher salaries.

In other countries it is called inflation - here I guess they call it "Thai love Thais" (no political pun intended ;-))

Good point, and another fine example of the Shins not giving a rat's ass about the common people. This decision, to increase the minimum wage, was purely and simply another carrot waved in front of the faces of certain voters, to get the greedy Shin regime back into power.

The reason I say "certain" voters is because not everyone out there in Issan land benefited from it. Some got a pay hike, but all paid more in the long run.

One of the ladies we buy fruit from in Wororot Market complained about this stupid ploy ages ago. She said because she is self employed she does not get a pay rise, but has to pay more for the price of food when it goes up. And it will go up she said.

I buy my fruit and vegetable at Big C, and the prices change every week.

Wondering how can they determine the actual prices of fresh produce when the prices fluctuate this way?

I always buy the fruit which are lowest in price, assuming it means they are in season. Accept for Watermelons and Bananas which seem to be always in season.

Have noticed a drop in the selection of vegetables, especially the green leafy ones, perhaps because of this drought they are talking about. A few brands just disappeared from the shelves in recent months.

TOPS Market has nice looking apples. Large size. 199 baht each. In round numbers, that's US$6.00 each.

These are not ceremonial fruit, wrapped in mesh and nestled into a fine wooden box with a sliding top, Japanese style. They are just loose in a basket.

Who buys stuff like that?

TOPS prices for fruit are very high, that's why I buy them at Big C instead of Tops.

They seem to bring a small selection, and present all of them as some special brands at inflated prices.

Many kinds of fruit sell at over 100 baht per Kilo, a price level which I never cross in Thailand.

Good point, and another fine example of the Shins not giving a rat's ass about the common people. This decision, to increase the minimum wage, was purely and simply another carrot waved in front of the faces of certain voters, to get the greedy Shin regime back into power.

The reason I say "certain" voters is because not everyone out there in Issan land benefited from it. Some got a pay hike, but all paid more in the long run.

One of the ladies we buy fruit from in Wororot Market complained about this stupid ploy ages ago. She said because she is self employed she does not get a pay rise, but has to pay more for the price of food when it goes up. And it will go up she said.

Do we remember the promise to pay 300 baht per day as and when elected went first to the 7 provinces WHO WERE ALREADY GETTING THAT PAY, this was the first JOKE vote catcher of PTP.

the rise I believe for the very low paid came last.

I know of areas that are still paying UNDER the min wage in rural villages, like take it or leave it. Farce.

I had a chat with a Thai just recently and we came to the conclusion that 100 baht 12 years back was pretty much similar to 1000 baht now.

Biggest problem might be that people don't earn more money, but all has gotten much more expensive.

That's just not true, even if this Thai or you "feel" this way.

The inflation rate in Thailand is 1-5% per year, sometimes a bit more, sometimes less.

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/g.aspx?c=th&v=71

In any case, over 12 years prices might have gone up 40-50%, not 1,000%.

Of course if you look at one specific item, it might have gone up more, but inflation is measured for what they call "The basket of goods".

I had a chat with a Thai just recently and we came to the conclusion that 100 baht 12 years back was pretty much similar to 1000 baht now.

Biggest problem might be that people don't earn more money, but all has gotten much more expensive.

The inflation rate in Thailand is 1-5% per year, sometimes a bit more, sometimes less.

Of course if you look at one specific item, it might have gone up more, but inflation is measured for what they call "The basket of goods".

Well compound 3% a year for 10 years and see where it goes.

The system in Thailand isn't exact anyway

So much business is cash and off the books. How they can aggregate the price of vegetables is beyond me. Gas and fuel is probably the biggest change.

All those who wanted a weaker baht. Well here it is with higher fuel prices that feed into EVERYTHING.

Does this " basket" include. WAS BEFORE motor bike price 29,000 baht------rental 75 per day-----guest house 150 per night------basic food/comparable portions--15 baht----hair cut 25 baht,--------20 kilo dog biscuit 300 baht------tin cat food 9 baht----milk 25 baht------eggs 2 baht each------wash powder 50baht----

My basket is across the board various things.

• Like 1

So much business is cash and off the books. How they can aggregate the price of vegetables is beyond me. Gas and fuel is probably the biggest change.

All those who wanted a weaker baht. Well here it is with higher fuel prices that feed into EVERYTHING.

I thought fuel was cheaper now, as before remember it was 150+ dollars a barrel.

Airlines complain because of the same thing now, notice they never deleted the extra fuel charges when fuel lowered in price, some even side kicked the surcharge and put it down to extra security charge--BS. this goes for many transport sections--they used it as an excuse to hype up the price-- another thing before the massive rise in fuel they had stocks at the very cheap price, but immediately upped the price because of the oil crises. Petrol prices are not too great to have airlines say they are suffering BECAUSE of oil prices.

Most problems are bad management- profits going elsewhere instead of plowing it back into new stock etc.

I thought fuel was cheaper now, as before remember it was 150+ dollars a barrel.

Airlines complain because of the same thing now, notice they never deleted the extra fuel charges when fuel lowered in price, some even side kicked the surcharge and put it down to extra security charge--BS. this goes for many transport sections--they used it as an excuse to hype up the price-- another thing before the massive rise in fuel they had stocks at the very cheap price, but immediately upped the price because of the oil crises. Petrol prices are not too great to have airlines say they are suffering BECAUSE of oil prices.

Most problems are bad management- profits going elsewhere instead of plowing it back into new stock etc.

One year ago the USD was 28 baht. Now it 33.

There is 15% right there. Thailand has to import all of it. I don't know the ratio in Thailand but a 1% increase in fuel cost will have a given percent increase in prices.

15% is a lot. Price in USD has been around 100usd a barrel for a while. The minimum wage had an effect but for Thailand with poor logistics by road, the price of fuel is of prime importance. Electricity, boilers, logistics all need it.

One year ago the USD was 28 baht. Now it 33.

There is 15% right there. Thailand has to import all of it. I don't know the ratio in Thailand but a 1% increase in fuel cost will have a given percent increase in prices.

15% is a lot. Price in USD has been around 100usd a barrel for a while. The minimum wage had an effect but for Thailand with poor logistics by road, the price of fuel is of prime importance. Electricity, boilers, logistics all need it.