Fresh produce prices skyrocket, inflation reaches new high

webfact

Fresh produce prices skyrocket, inflation reaches new high

PNECO570502001000401_02052014_121309.jpg

BANGKOK, 2 May 2014 (NNT) – A Commercial Counselor, Ms Amphawan Phichalai revealed that the Consumer Price Index (CPI) inflation in April peaked at 107.47 points, which was a 2.45 percent increase from the same period last year.

The rising prices of processed foods, ready-to-eat meals, and cooking gas were some reasons that contributed to such a high CPI. Fruit prices have also soared as a result of drought, especially limes, where the price of a single fruit can reach up to 14 to 15 baht in some areas.

Ms. Aphawan said inflation rates also soared in April due to rising prices of food and non-alcoholic beverages, which increased by 4.61 percent, the highest in 20 months. Worse off, the drought crisis in Thailand has also aggravated the situation.

Among the products that showed the highest price adjustment, scallions topped the list at 34.99 percent, closely followed by limes at 30.66 percent. The prices of other products such as Chinese broccoli, Chinese lettuce, and tangerine were all increased by 21.56 percent, 20.03 percent, and 5.29 percent respectively.

Thankfully, the prices of a few products have decreased as well amidst the economic downturn. Eggs, garlic, and mangoes all had their prices reduced by 4.31 percent, 12.76 percent, and 3.46 percent respectively.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-02 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The price of limes must have a huge bearing on this - the prices for them are getting out of hand, i saw shitty little ones in Tesco at the weekend 12 baht each!!

And yet my friends who like San Miguel light are still getting a wedge of lime stuffed into the tops of their bottles.

That could end soon!

The price of limes must have a huge bearing on this - the prices for them are getting out of hand, i saw shitty little ones in Tesco at the weekend 12 baht each!!

And yet my friends who like San Miguel light are still getting a wedge of lime stuffed into the tops of their bottles.

That could end soon!

At a watering hole I like to frequent, I used to get a slice of lime with my neer. A couple of weeks ago, they told me I could have my lime if I was willing to pay extra. I said no thank you, and enjoyed my beer, sans lime.

• Like 1

That could end soon!

At a watering hole I like to frequent, I used to get a slice of lime with my neer. A couple of weeks ago, they told me I could have my lime if I was willing to pay extra. I said no thank you, and enjoyed my beer, sans lime.

"....sans lime." Sans Miguel too?drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

• Like 2

"A Commercial Counselor, Ms Amphawan Phichalai revealed that the Consumer Price Index (CPI) inflation in April peaked at 107.47 points, which was a 2.45 percent increase from the same period last year."

Does the counselor or the journalist have any idea of what the CPI is, how it is calculated or what is indicates? The above statement makes no sense without any reference to the base year or last year's result.

That happens every year at this season. Limes are in very short supply for a couple of months and as they are needeed for some recipes they can still sell them at a high price for the period.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 2

Egg, Garlic and Mangoe diet it is then ! I wonder what an omlette with these ingredients would taste like ???sick.gif

I eat frequently omlett with a lot garlic...but no Mango

• Like 1

Egg, Garlic and Mangoe diet it is then ! I wonder what an omlette with these ingredients would taste like ???sick.gif

You should all try my special! Chuck spaghetti in the rice cooker, add assorted veg; meanwhile prepare a tin of sardines in a bowl, mix all sorts of stuff with this, Worcestershire sauce, peanut butter etc. Then dump your veg and spaghetti on top and cover for five minutes. Uncover and mix well. Enjoy. Yum Yum!

• Like 2

It's all relative though, well it depends how you have your money / income. I assume most of you guys have pensions so I hope you have it kept in your respective currencies.. I have an income most of GBP which is at like 54 baht to the pound now, which is the highest it has been for 4 years?

Any connection to the Mexican drug cartel?!?post-37101-0-55164400-1399041788_thumb.j

"I'm not playing that game," she said in a story posted on the Alcademics site. "I hope Mexico has case upon case of rotting limes and the cartels are forced to sell drugs again instead of strong-arming lime farmers."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/lime-shortage-skyrocketing-prices-u-s-linked-mexican-drug-cartel-article-1.1741878

Edited by Jingthing

oily n greasy, yet to find an omlette not like this here.

and the necessity for these in survival???

Not important as was most they mentioned

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

That could end soon!

a little cheap charlie no?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I wonder if they are even factoring in what so many companies are doing and that is to decrease the serving size of packaged goods.

Quite right. I noticed that what used to be a 250 gram block of cheese (which I rarely buy anyway, due to the stupid price here) in Tesco is now down to 200 grams for the same price ...

Interesting that they should add cooking gas to the list, the Government launched a one year price increase plan on cooking gas that doesn't peak until October 2014.

I bought a 25kg (?) canister of gas recently. The one before cost 300 baht, this one was 390 baht ...

Just as well they last about 6 months in our house.

• Like 1

That could end soon!

Perhaps, although at 150 baht/bottle in some places I wonder if they can absorb the higher cost or will just make it 160 baht?