Comparing Taiwan and Thailand

RikDao

I have friends in the U.S. who can't keep the two places sorted out..

They still think I live in Taiwan....not Thailand!

By the way...the few times I have been to Taiwan, it has been hot, muggy and overcast,

The people seemed unfriendly,

Most of the shops in the airport were vacant

It reminded me of the propaganda photos I saw of Russia in the US as a kid...

Drab, concrete and depressing.

I was in Taiwan many years ago & the people then were vary unfriendly. I thought it was because they knew I was a soldier or American or both. I saw nothing there to make me want to go back!

• Like 2

I don't see the point of excessively aggressive posts in this thread.

Any post gives an interesting sight on comparing such countries. Hearing about feelings of short stayers (like the OP) and facts from long term expats alike.

We spent some holidays there a couple of years ago, so no deep experience indeed. But we definitely enjoyed our trip and would happily return.

The main feeling was: an Asian country that actually works.

We enjoyed the people (not less open to foreigners than Thai), the nature (like pristine places in the central area and nice coasts), the infrastructure (trains that stay on their tracks - even at high speed, metro), the environment (much less dumping and no daily garbage burning),... and didn't see the road rage that prevails here.

We weren't impressed by Taipei architecturally but should we really talk about Bangkok on this?

Op, you should know that many Thais also add a lot of MSG. As for " Thais sometimes seem like they don’t work quite as hard, I’m sure the weather has a lot to do with it," you should visit the northern half of Australia, where temperatures often exceed 40ºC, with high humidity, which doesn't stop the Aussies from working hard. I've seen this "excuse" for Thais before, but it just doesn't "hold water."

• Like 1

mushroomdave, on 03 May 2014 - 21:18, said:
Kitsune, on 02 May 2014 - 22:00, said:

Are you for real?

Have you really been to Taipei Taiwan?

Almost no farangs therecheesy.gif

Food fresh and delicious cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Try shit smelling Cho dofu the local delicacy

their pleasant, tidy little island cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Taiwan used to be Portuguese and called Formosa which means beautiful island in less than 40 years Chinese invasion destroyed ALL the fresh water sources, water is now polluted, most of the ecosystems of the coasts have been eradicated, and coastal landscapes defaced, local indigenous people deprived of their land, culture, rights and language. The idea of Chinese architecture is to put metal bars on each and every windows so their house which are cheap looking concrete craps, look like prisons or glorified bunkers. The old indigenous architecture has been destroyed, but the ancient Chinese areas are also torn down. Everything old and cute is replaced by ugly concrete building with bars at windows. There is not one footpath which is occupied by a line of scooters, it's quite difficult to walk in the streets. The pollution generated by scooters is a huge issue. After a fortnight you develop scooter cough

I lived there 14.5 years and thank you for setting it straight!! He also stayed in Taipei only with the recycling laws along with the mandatory helmets but that's just the city. Once you leave the city it's crap and it's the wild west for driving and no helmets whatsoever. The street dogs where moved out of the city to the country too. And the cops????.......you will see them when you get your wallet out when you want something done.....witnessed that enough times!!!! You didn't see them as they just sit in the station counting their "tea money". Guess the OP wasn't in one of the clubs when the music got cut off and they looked around for the manager for their "brown envelope" as it wasn't at the door waiting for them.......can testify to that too !! Could go on about the rude, obnoxious, nosey people and their "me-first" attitude but there isn't enough room here!! Had enough of those people and soooooo glad I'm here now!!

I was a bit confused, are you talking about Taiwan or Thailand, certainly it seems like Thailand.

• Like 1

Are you for real?

Food fresh and delicious cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Try shit smelling Cho dofu the local delicacy

their pleasant, tidy little island cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Taiwan used to be Portuguese and called Formosa which means beautiful island in less than 40 years Chinese invasion destroyed ALL the fresh water sources, water is now polluted, most of the ecosystems of the coasts have been eradicated, and coastal landscapes defaced, local indigenous people deprived of their land, culture, rights and language. The idea of Chinese architecture is to put metal bars on each and every windows so their house which are cheap looking concrete craps, look like prisons or glorified bunkers. The old indigenous architecture has been destroyed, but the ancient Chinese areas are also torn down. Everything old and cute is replaced by ugly concrete building with bars at windows. There is not one footpath which is occupied by a line of scooters, it's quite difficult to walk in the streets. The pollution generated by scooters is a huge issue. After a fortnight you develop scooter cough

I lived there 14.5 years and thank you for setting it straight!! He also stayed in Taipei only with the recycling laws along with the mandatory helmets but that's just the city. Once you leave the city it's crap and it's the wild west for driving and no helmets whatsoever. The street dogs where moved out of the city to the country too. And the cops????.......you will see them when you get your wallet out when you want something done.....witnessed that enough times!!!! You didn't see them as they just sit in the station counting their "tea money". Guess the OP wasn't in one of the clubs when the music got cut off and they looked around for the manager for their "brown envelope" as it wasn't at the door waiting for them.......can testify to that too !! Could go on about the rude, obnoxious, nosey people and their "me-first" attitude but there isn't enough room here!! Had enough of those people and soooooo glad I'm here now!!

Note to self: "Take Taiwan off of the bucket-list"!

I lived for 4 months in Ilha Formosa and 3 years in Thailand, I have no doubts that thailand is much better to live! Much easier, much funnier. Taiwan is also bautiful place, good people, good food (yummy). Well, the visa there is a bit a boring process, need to travel to HK to renew. (I was able to renew inland only the first time, after that HK was the easy option..) In my opinion, in Asia there are no better place than Thailand!

Op, you should know that many Thais also add a lot of MSG. As for " Thais sometimes seem like they don’t work quite as hard, I’m sure the weather has a lot to do with it," you should visit the northern half of Australia, where temperatures often exceed 40ºC, with high humidity, which doesn't stop the Aussies from working hard. I've seen this "excuse" for Thais before, but it just doesn't "hold water."

Aussies working hard? cheesy.gif

• Like 2

jomcondo, on 04 May 2014 - 14:21, said:
Rorri, on 04 May 2014 - 09:02, said:

Aussies working hard? cheesy.gif

Um, is there something wrong with you, or are you simply an Aussie basher, with little/no evidence to back it up. A very cheap comment.

I'm baaaack!

Off topic this, but I really wanna share what I've observed. I was taken aback by some of the negative, downright nasty responses I got to this post, so I checked out some of the previous ThaiVisa activity of a few of the more negative posters. Just as I suspected, they rarely start Original Posts; the overwhelming majority of the time they just reply to others. Of course, I didn't read any of their other posts, I was afraid to! So, for all I know, they were all sweeter than pie in their responses, but I tend to doubt it. Kind of like energy vampires, they are. Good for me to know this, as I'll take it into consideration next time I start a thread... And I WILL start more threads when I have something to say or ask.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

mushroomdave, on 03 May 2014 - 21:18, said:
Kitsune, on 02 May 2014 - 22:00, said:

Are you for real?

Almost no farangs there

Food fresh and deliciousTry shit smelling Cho dofu the local delicacy

their pleasant, tidy little islandTaiwan used to be Portuguese and called Formosa which means beautiful island in less than 40 years Chinese invasion destroyed ALL the fresh water sources, water is now polluted, most of the ecosystems of the coasts have been eradicated, and coastal landscapes defaced, local indigenous people deprived of their land, culture, rights and language. The idea of Chinese architecture is to put metal bars on each and every windows so their house which are cheap looking concrete craps, look like prisons or glorified bunkers. The old indigenous architecture has been destroyed, but the ancient Chinese areas are also torn down. Everything old and cute is replaced by ugly concrete building with bars at windows. There is not one footpath which is occupied by a line of scooters, it's quite difficult to walk in the streets. The pollution generated by scooters is a huge issue. After a fortnight you develop scooter cough

I was a bit confused, are you talking about Taiwan or Thailand, certainly it seems like Thailand.

Well, seeing I was agreeing with "Kitsune", and thanking him for setting the record straight with the OP, I guess I was talking about Taiwan. Also, I don't think they moved any street dogs from any cities in this country to the country, have they??

Are you for real?

I posted an impolite and negative reply to this comment, which was pulled as inappropriate by the site moderator, which is a good thing, because I regretted the tone and substance of my reply almost immediately after posting. Lol. However, I stand by my comments. Thanks for enlightening me as to the history of the island, I'm eager to learn more about it.

I've been guilty of the same in the past especially with the odd email.

Good you got corralled. I wish i had a few times as well.

Kitsume may wish (hopefully) to clarify his post.

Are you for real?

You must have been to a different Taiwan from me. Two-stroke motor cycles are illegal, so there's a lot less hydrocarbon in the atmosphere. They have the most aggressive recycling programme I have ever encountered. Lovely country parks, and friendly little temples and local playgrounds in every neighbourhood.

SC

I have spent quite a bit of time in Taiwan, and I never saw some of the negative things posted here, at least to any significant degree.

If you are ever there and see a funeral procession, get your cameras ready. Quite often, there are strippers doing pole dances on the flatbed trucks that follow the deceased. At the funeral themselves, strippers often dance on stage. This is done to appease the "wandering spirits."

I have spent quite a bit of time in Taiwan, and I never saw some of the negative things posted here, at least to any significant degree.

If you are ever there and see a funeral procession, get your cameras ready. Quite often, there are strippers doing pole dances on the flatbed trucks that follow the deceased. At the funeral themselves, strippers often dance on stage. This is done to appease the "wandering spirits."

I wish you'd said that earlier. I was always put off by the god-awful noise,

I found Taiwanese (OK - maybe Chinese in Taiwan) reasonably easy to get on with. Our land lady was exceptionally friendly. Some very striking scenery - not necessarily a place I would recommend for a holiday - that would be Harris and Lewis - but a fascinating country, none the less. And, as I have said elsewhere (in Taipei at least) the bin lorries are the most melodious that I have heard

SC

"wandering spirits...." we've all done that, haven't we?

Edited by StreetCowboy

Talk about comparing apples and oranges : Taiwan is not a tourist country. The East coast of Taiwan is like

a tropical Big Sur. Do a google search: photos of East coast of Taiwan. I stayed in Kaohsiung , Southern port

city. This city has it all plus a beach area across bay by ferry. Everything is about 2x expensive. Sure there

are alot of motorbikes, but they all move in a slow orderly way. None of this reckless bs like in Thailand.

Well I judge people by the way they drive. So not only is the geography better , so are the people.

And regarding these negative posts above : Off The Wall.

Edited by morrobay

it's good to hear other sides... but you are the first person I have met who is negative about Taiwan.

(apart from the "It's not as good as it used to be" people)

Ferangs (...compared to "quality tourists"/retirees in Thailand)

Fresh food - They export excellent fruit and vegatables , because it is good (Better than in supermarkets in Thailand)

Yes the Chinese tend to destroy everything - like ants, but just like ants... they are "succesful"

Are you for real?

Successful at shitting on their own doorstep, contrarily to ants,they kill their own kind every day because of their reckless behavior: Thousands of Taiwanese develop respiratory problems. Once they polluted the pure water they could not even get together to build a tank to keep water for dry season, which means that in one of the wettest country in the world with very often water up to your knees, with the city paralyzed with no transport for weeks; Just a few weeks later people are denied water. They had plenty of water but no money left after corruption share so the city tank was leaking and nothing was done to repair it, so water was just cut off most days, when we had been flooded for 3 months just weeks before.

Ants would not be so stupid

Are you for real?

You must have been to a different Taiwan from me. Two-stroke motor cycles are illegal, so there's a lot less hydrocarbon in the atmosphere. They have the most aggressive recycling programme I have ever encountered. Lovely country parks, and friendly little temples and local playgrounds in every neighbourhood.

SC

Having just made a quick trip to Kaoshiung (Gaoxiong) and back in Taichung I am as usual appalled at the poor air quality in large parts of the island, especially in the Winter months.

The Taiwan EPA have finally caught up with the rest of the world after many delay tactics and are now providing real-time PM 2.5 particulate levels. PM 2.5 are the real nasty fine particles that gets into your lungs and possibly into your blood stream. The particles are formed from motor vehicle exhaust (particularly scooters), power plant emissions, chemical refineries etc. NOx and SOx react with sunlight and water vapour and form these fine particles which result in the characteristic haze we see around us.

Looking at US PM2.5 standards anything beyond 35 Ug/M3 daily average on the scale is unacceptable. Also they have now revised the annual average to 12 Ug/M3.

Are you for real?

SC

Having just made a quick trip to Kaoshiung (Gaoxiong) and back in Taichung I am as usual appalled at the poor air quality in large parts of the island, especially in the Winter months.

The Taiwan EPA have finally caught up with the rest of the world after many delay tactics and are now providing real-time PM 2.5 particulate levels. PM 2.5 are the real nasty fine particles that gets into your lungs and possibly into your blood stream. The particles are formed from motor vehicle exhaust (particularly scooters), power plant emissions, chemical refineries etc. NOx and SOx react with sunlight and water vapour and form these fine particles which result in the characteristic haze we see around us.

Looking at US PM2.5 standards anything beyond 35 Ug/M3 daily average on the scale is unacceptable. Also they have now revised the annual average to 12 Ug/M3.

It'll clear up when the rains come.

Assuming that this is a bona fide web site, it seems pretty good.

http://aqicn.org/city/taiwan/tainan/

The data for Malaysia concurs with the government published figures. Generally speaking, I found public information in Taiwan to be fair, if you could navigate the Chinese. I particularly liked their earthquake and typhoon sites.

I never had any concerns with air quality in Taipei - not like in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur or Bangkok.

Apparently, getting rid of two-stroke motorcycles had a big impact.

I guess the pollution down South is industrial,perhaps some crop burning, and recidivists on old scooters. Also, the drier, sunnier climate.

SC

Are you for real?

SC

Correct spelling for Kaohsiung. Also the oxides of sulfur and nitrogen react with water vapor and light to form nitric and sulfuric acids : NO2 + H2O --> H2NO3

SO3 + H2O --> H2SO4

Are you for real?

SC

Correct spelling for Kaohsiung. Also the oxides of sulfur and nitrogen react with water vapor and light to form nitric and sulfuric acids : NO2 + H2O --> H2NO3

SO3 + H2O --> H2SO4

My careless mistake nitrogen has 5 valence electrons so nitric acid formation would be :

4NO2 + O2 + 2H2O ---> 4HNO3.

I was in Kaohsiung in August so I dont know about winter air quality. They have lost control of drainage during monsoons.

Their subway system was abandoned and boarded up because the water level was about halfway down the steps.

They should have built a skytrain.

Edited by morrobay