Motorcycles in Chiang Mai

alien365

I'm visiting CM for a week or so and am quite bemused by the motorcycles here. On a dual carriageway or the outer ringroad they always ride in the centre of the 1st lane or on the right hand side of it, forcing all cars in to 1 lane otherwise you would risk knocking them off. Why dont they drive in the clean hard shoulder? In all over provinces ive visited so far and my current nakhon nowhere thats what they do, hence my surprise here.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Does this not just make the road even busier though? I had to ask a few people to understand if i could drive to the right of the yellow line because of the bikes but ive been told only in rush hour. Im just trying to understand the rules of the road here.

I needed a beer when i got to my friends house (where im staying) after this evenings drive! I always try to help others on the road as i know its not easy on the roads in thailand. In my hometown that means to let others know what you are doing as they are quite aggressive,indecisiveness causes a lot of problems. Ive found the car drivers in Chiang Mai very polite and considerate over the last 5 days but the bikes.... even in bkk i find the bikes ok but this is a new experience.

• Like 1

. Ive found the car drivers in Chiang Mai very polite and considerate over the last 5 days

gosh that is a statement and a halfsmile.png guess the short time frame(5 days) and low driving (or riding) time has given you this thought,spend a good deal more time on the roads around c/mai or take a visit to any hospital casuality ward , and i am sure u will take a different view, all have a nice daybiggrin.png

Personally, I find riding bikes and motorbikes fairly easy and relaxed in Chiang Mai. Having been to Vietnam and China, it feels like bliss over here.

As to accidents, if you're on two wheels, it's not a matter of IF you'll hit the road but WHEN...It comes with the territory, you just hope that the landing will be relatively soft. That being said, I have yet to hit the road in Thailand with thousands of km under my belt cycling and on motorbikes.

Edited by GBHK
  • Like 1

Stop your car, get out and check the shoulders of most any road including the area close to and adjacent to most traffic islands which motorcyclists are forced to drive through.

The debris is colossal: sand, broken glass, nails, twisted metal (no, not a rock group) etc.

No motorcyclists wishes to suffer punctures by riding the shoulders. On highways crossing rivers and streams, the shoulders end up turning into a raised 'walkway' which can be and are a motorcyclist's literal downfall. Any motorist is courting tire damage by moving to the shoulder to let another motorist pass.

• Like 1

I drive motorbike, and i almost never drive on the shoulder.

Why,.. Because of dogs and children running around without looking what they are doing..

Also the different soi`s you encounter/pass, you always see some idiot in another bike or a car, driving directly onto "my" road, without stopping, looking or anything before turning into the traffic.. Must have seen 20 accidents from that 1 idiotic flaw alone.

When I sat my last Driving License update test--and watched the boring video and listened to the Highway Rules--I am convinced that it was stated that motorcycles were NOT permitted in the outside 'overtaking', or fast lane--but that's where they all ride.

My cleaning Lady's daughter got into a nasty crash a week ago--she was riding a bike in the right hand, overtaking, or fast vehicle lane--say no more.

Why dont they drive in the clean hard shoulder? In all over provinces ive visited so far and my current nakhon nowhere thats what they do, hence my surprise here.

Because the far left is the territory of red trucks "lor dengs" & Tuk tuk's where they sweep left anytime they see a possible fare

Also because the nuts that swing open their doors after stopping suddenly without looking in the mirrors.

Chiang Mai is not some sleepy village like nakorn nowhere that has almost no lor dengs or tuk tuks

Also by riding a bit to the right if a car starts to sweep them they still have an option.

If far left & a sweep starts your swept period as there is nowhere left to go

Best advice to driving in Chiang Mai IMHO..... jai yen yen

Whats the rush anyway?

Every light you come to your going to be passed by every bike near you

as they filter to the front

Better yet lose the cage & grab a bike. wink.png

Seriously though I know years ago when I first drove my truck around the inner city I thought I would

never get use to the swarms but you do. Since then I bike way more than truck except rainy season

Edited by mania

I think you hit the nail on the head with jai yen yen. Was annoying being overtaken and then held up again by the motorbikes at every traffic light. It was difficult to climatise to when i am used to a pick up on the rear bumper beeping his horn and flashing his lights because i am only doing 110kph. Due to that i really felt in CM there needed to be at least 2 lanes for cars only, but as i mentioned in a previous post CM drivers were very polite (during this quiet season). And for the bikes, well i didnt hit any, and i got to enjoy a couple of tasty beers after my drives to cool down ;)

• Like 1

I think you hit the nail on the head with jai yen yen. Was annoying being overtaken and then held up again by the motorbikes at every traffic light. It was difficult to climatise to when i am used to a pick up on the rear bumper beeping his horn and flashing his lights because i am only doing 110kph. Due to that i really felt in CM there needed to be at least 2 lanes for cars only, but as i mentioned in a previous post CM drivers were very polite (during this quiet season). And for the bikes, well i didnt hit any, and i got to enjoy a couple of tasty beers after my drives to cool down wink.png

In my experience it isn't the motorbikes holding up traffic at the lights. They all zip off like its a Moto GP race if possible (I know I do).

At some intersections everyone is veeeeery cautious jumping off on the green, because they are well known for people running the red directly after the change. AP Plaza and Rincome intersections are the worst for this imo, mostly because of the long wait times if you miss the green.

I agree with the other posters about the shoulders being rubbish. They are full of debris, used as parking, space for som tam stalls etc. I much prefer to inconvenience cars if need be to avoid the left shoulder. Not that I often inconvenience cars, I manage to keep up with all but the speed demons.

Edited by DaBloodyMess

I like the moto gp starts ;) most tend to stop after 5 secs though. I have to admit if im at the front in my car i will set off quickly so more cars can get through the lights. Theres nothing worse than being about 15cars back and nobody is moving due to laziness at the front. I was mostly driving southbound from the uni and the shoulders looked clean from the car, the only area things seemed dangerous was outside rimping