Planting potatoes in Chiang Mai

connda

I understand that Chiang Mai is one of the few places in Thailand where potatoes will grow, actually well enough that they are grown commercially.

Does anyone know when the commercial farmers start planting potatoes? Also, where can I get the type of seed potatoes used locally? I'd like to play with this in my 'hobbie garden' this year, but I want to use the same variety of potatoes the commercial growers use, and plant them at the same time.

Yes, I have noticed some rice farmers plant potatoes in between crops.

There is also at least one commercial grower here that I have heard of. He's Aussie.

Yes, I have noticed some rice farmers plant potatoes in between crops.

There is also at least one commercial grower here that I have heard of. He's Aussie.

Maybe his ancestors were from Ireland? whistling.gif

along with one-third of us in Australia.

• Like 2

pnat mango, banana, potato is cheap, who wants to plant that

It's the satisfaction you get seeing it grow. It's like bringing up your kids when they grow up to be healthy and responsible!

Oh, my papaya tree has yielded fantastic products which we have consumed ourselves and given to our neighbors, and even to the mei nor from Issarn of our relative when they visited! Hey, she helped us planted some trees while she was here. Seems so natural to her. My wife was amazed!

Edited by muchogra
  • Like 2

You should be able to make a connection for planting potatoes at the Thursday morning fresh market in downtown Mae Taeng near the Lotus store. They normally have about three varieties on sale and we buy them regularly at 30-35 baht a kilo. The large yellow bakers are quite good and they are all grown in the local area.

Most likely any spuds you see in the local market are local grown. Choose any but look for signs of small sprouts as these are the best ones. Some spuds are chemically treated to inhibit growth, better storage that way. That is unlikely in T'land. They do like cooler weather.

Plenty of potatoes grown, along the road north through Mae Fak from Mae-Jo, towards Prayao.

We stopped for 10 minutes, at a busy sorting-shed last month, and purchased a sack-full @ B25/kg, so clearly the harvesting season runs to April.

There are also warehouses, and processing-plants for turning them into frozen french-fries, in that area.

IIRC there's also a Chiang Mai Potato Growers Association, I saw a sign out that way, a few years back.

Makes lots of sense, to grow them up here in the winter in irrigated areas, as domestic demand for potato-products is clearly growing rapidly.

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 2

pnat mango, banana, potato is cheap, who wants to plant that

maybe bring in some tasty varieties, if allowed. Kennebec, King Edward, Pink eyes (drool), up-to-date. Probably foreign names to many, but tried and proven.

I have no experience of growing potatoes here--but, purely based on the abundance of other bugs--I would have thought that pests might be a problem?

There is always the raised tub, or pallet box, raised bed, or even sack grown methods to think about, though--these should allow some protection from soil born pests--I would have thought.

Plenty of potatoes grown, along the road north through Mae Fak from Mae-Jo, towards Prayao.

Apologies, I should of course have said Phrao, not Prayao.

Shortage of coffee in the blood-system this morning ... coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Definitely raised beds with very friable soil. I'm in a condo now, but I always loved to grow potatoes, if for no other reason than the lovely foliage. Used them as accent plants among our landscape plantings, along with leeks. We never had any pest problems in Michigan.

In Mae Faek there is (or there was, anyway) a potato chip factory. I thought their potato chips were much crispier than any I bought in the big stores in Chiang Mai.

What sort do you mean--frozen Deep fat fryer ones?

LEEKS! you're welsh??

The aussie potato grower I mentioned apparently supplies chips to the catering guys.

I'm homing in on a house next month, which has an area for vegies. Potatoes sounds a good way to start. biggrin.png

I'd be interested to know if you're able to find some suitable varieties.

In Mae Faek there is (or there was, anyway) a potato chip factory. I thought their potato chips were much crispier than any I bought in the big stores in Chiang Mai.

I don't know anything about frozen deep fat fryers... They were potato chips in plastic bags and looked like you would buy in local markets. Whatever they were, I thought they tasted better than the name brands in Lotus, Big C, etc.

I don't know anything about frozen deep fat fryers... They were potato chips in plastic bags and looked like you would buy in local markets. Whatever they were, I thought they tasted better than the name brands in Lotus, Big C, etc.

Oh I see you must be an American? In the UK the word 'chips' refer to what you call French Fries. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Oh I see you must be an American? In the UK the word 'chips' refer to what you call French Fries. Thanks.

It's a constant battle in Oz, with our colonial cousins trying to change the names and the spelling of so many things.

I'll just stick to English.

CHIPS

PRAWNS

METRES

TOILETS and so on.......

tongue.png

you can quarter potatoes you like and use them for seeds.if you use whole ones the results will be less.when the green comes up use the dirt on both sides of the row of plants to bury the stems/bottom of the plants. .this will make the plants grow better and the resulting trenches help with drainage.when the plants wilt its time for harvest. the actual potato must always be buried lest it turns green and is toxic!

yes you maities are a "special" species, in all the world chips means potatoe snack, not french fries, plonkers

• Like 1

yes you maities are a "special" species, in all the world chips means potatoe snack, not french fries, plonkers

They call it English language for a reason. Please don't bastardise it wink.png

• Like 2

Chips are thick-cut & deep-fried from fresh potatoes, whereas French-fries/Freedom-fries are thin twiggy things & generally-frozen, insist on the genuine thing, for that authentic high-cholesterol heart-attack experience ! rolleyes.gif

And as for putting mayonnaise on them, well blink.png , 'nuff said ! laugh.png

Edited by Ricardo