Unfriendly Farangs

AussieSteve

People who say maybe they don't understand English is just given a stupid excuse. Everyone knows how to say hello, or just a nod of the head. why make it such a big deal. No one is asking you to have a conversation with anyone.

Do you really need an excuse for not saying hello to unknown people in a changing room ???

When I play golf and change clothes in the changing room on the golf course, I don't say hello to those 10-20 people going in and out.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are in a rather nasty country, always under various threats from the locals who would mostly we rather not be around. It's a tough environment and not always easy to step outside of that and become as easy going as we might be in countries where we are not under constant pressure. Nobody wants to be vulnerable.

Speak for yourself. The country I live in is rather nice.

Is it normal to say 'hello' to a complete stranger in a state of undress, in a changing room ?

It's good practice, for when one finds oneself meeting a stranger while in a state of undress in a strange house - a polite and friendly "Hello there, you must be the husband..." often sends a good first impression and avoids getting the relationship off on the wrong foot. As in the gym, though, it's probably prudent to err on the side of brevity

SC

We are in a rather nasty country, always under various threats from the locals who would mostly we rather not be around. It's a tough environment and not always easy to step outside of that and become as easy going as we might be in countries where we are not under constant pressure. Nobody wants to be vulnerable.

I'll speak for most expats I know who are involved in serious professional career here. The guys doing several hundred thousand a month and up. Competitive but not in a reasonable way.

How many guys you close to who make their money working in Thailand (not remittances from overseas) who do very well and who don't complain about how nasty the business environment is?

• Like 2

It never ceases to amaze me how some many people are so bored with life that they spend time in dumb threads like this. GET A LIFE GUYS!

And yet . . . . . . . . ;-)

Not only THAT . . . . . . But you're up to grading those of us who'd have a go at offering an explanation at to why you'd drink too much, sit too much or eat too much . . . . . or stop a fork in' bus full of passengers because your metabolic gods had decreed you had to have a bluddy sandwich fix.

How's that metabolism thing of yours doing, anyway there, Lardawfullus.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit. . . . "

• Like 1

I'll speak for most expats I know who are involved in serious professional career here. The guys doing several hundred thousand a month and up. Competitive but not in a reasonable way.

How many guys you close to who make their money working in Thailand (not remittances from overseas) who do very well and who don't complain about how nasty the business environment is?

It's not something my former colleagues complain about. The expats in Thailand with whom I work never complain about it. Perhaps our industry is more honest than yours. Perhaps my friends are not born whingers - we could speculate for hours, but to no more avail than idle fantasies regarding the identity of the video referee at Odsall on Sunday

SC

I know plenty of people who earn their living here and do pretty well for themselves. Most of them tell me they love it here. Certainly none of them describe it in the terms you do.

Maybe the country isn't the problem?

When you are seriously focused on a path, you do not take time to entertain many new friendships. Fifteen minutes matters!

Maybe they don't speak or understand English. People from English speaking countries often assume everyone speak their language.

Unless you are talking to an alien I think most people worldwide understand what Hello or Hi means

All foreigners in Thailand are aliens.

• Like 1

Is it normal to say 'hello' to a complete stranger in a state of undress, in a changing room ?

Some members of this forum live for magic moments like these.

And if you think it's just because they stumbled into the wrong locker room . . . . . . you need to develop your "subtextdar"

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit. . . . "

It's not something my former colleagues complain about. The expats in Thailand with whom I work never complain about it. Perhaps our industry is more honest than yours. Perhaps my friends are not born whingers - we could speculate for hours, but to no more avail than idle fantasies regarding the identity of the video referee at Odsall on Sunday

SC

For the love of Pete! 'Whiners' is how it is spelled! http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Whiners

'Whingers' is that perverted guy that helps you try to score with some slutty chic, who would probably do you anyway. (for a few baht)

Everybody got it?

Whiners; people who complain constantly..

Whingers; perverted dickwad you didn't need in your game, but thought you did.

BTW, I don't agree with your comments, soicowboy, or whatever your name is....

For the love of Pete! 'Whiners' is how it is spelled! http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Whiners

'Whingers' is that perverted guy that helps you try to score with some slutty chic, who would probably do you anyway. (for a few baht)

Everybody got it?

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/whinger

I know plenty of people who earn their living here and do pretty well for themselves. Most of them tell me they love it here. Certainly none of them describe it in the terms you do.

Maybe the country isn't the problem?

Sure, they may love it here taken as a whole, but it doesn't mean they don't face all sorts of challenges of being a foreigner here trying to work and continue a career in a place we all would agree is rather insular and nationalist.

Many of these guys (especially those not close to retirement age) are stressed out. They'd be stressed in their home countries but more here for sure

Edited by PaullyW

Sure, they may live it here taken as a whole, but it doesn't mean they don't face all sorts of challenges of being a foreigner here trying to work and continue a career in a place we all would agree is rather insular and nationalist.

Many of these guys (especially those not close to retirement age) are stressed out. They'd be stressed in their home countries but more here for sure

Life has it's challenges wherever you live.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with saying hello to people at the gym. Must we do this in every thread?

Sure, they may live it here taken as a whole, but it doesn't mean they don't face all sorts of challenges of being a foreigner here trying to work and continue a career in a place we all would agree is rather insular and nationalist.

Life has it's challenges wherever you live.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with saying hello to people at the gym. Must we do this in every thread?

People are on guard because life is hard and it is not easy to switch between the hard external shell, if you will, and the relative vulnerability to open up to complete strangers.

That's the point and what it has to do with the thread.

In my home country 90 prozent of people also not say hello !

But when my wife visit me, She happy not see any Thai ask everyday the pai nai question!

The thing a realy not like are emty promised same in farang land same in Thai!

Maybe it has something to do with there loosing the face policy!

The people want protect there face only for the moment here promize you the whole world and then nothing happens everything hot air

Emty promised I call this a world wide sickness !

20 year ago was much better!

Here in isaan I not see many farang

Only one was here on construction in the garden open the window say hello nothing comes back!

One of my friends travel last year

Is very straight and ask always why you cannot response greetings

Most Falange here have problem in the life and relationship problem!

Only people think to much about themselves not talk!

Some homes here change there Falange lover every month a new one

Yes I have only you body!

People are on guard because life is hard and it is not easy to switch between the hard external shell, if you will, and the relative vulnerability to open up to complete strangers.

That might be true for a sensitive soul like you. But I think for most a more likely explanation is that when you live in a big city, you don't waste your time talking to every Tom, Dick or Harry you happen to cross paths with.

Everybody got it?

If your friends are doing well here, soipiker, they must be running a boiler room scam, selling fake investments or something.

Next time I need a perverted dickwad, I'll call you. Wait by the phone, okay?

That might be true for a sensitive soul like you. But I think for most a more likely explanation is that when you live in a big city, you don't waste your time talking to every Tom, Dick or Harry you happen to cross paths with.

Now you know me? Interesting.

How would you explain the obvious contrast that we see with Asians in Thailand? The Japanese seem to be more willing to open up and interact with strangers of their own nationality. Same for the ethnic Chinese here. Just 2 examples. I suspect that many of these Japanese are from some of the largest cities in the world.

Indeed a Japanese exec I chat with occasionally says that this unwillingness of Westerners to "stick together" is one of the things that baffles Asians.

Can you explain that using your theory?

Now you know me? Interesting.

How would you explain the obvious contrast that we see with Asians in Thailand? The Japanese seem to be more willing to open up and interact with strangers of their own nationality. Same for the ethnic Chinese here. Just 2 examples. I suspect that many of these Japanese are from some of the largest cities in the world.

Indeed a Japanese exec I chat with occasionally says that this unwillingness of Westerners to "stick together" is one of the things that baffles Asians.

Can you explain that using your theory?

The Japanese are Farangs now?

If your friends are doing well here, soipiker, they must be running a boiler room scam, selling fake investments or something.

Next time I need a perverted dickwad, I'll call you. Wait by the phone, okay?

No - they just have jobs.

What's with the random insult, by the way?

Everybody got it?

I don't care how you spell it! It's 'whiners'.

Huh?

I see you don't follow. It's OK. We're all just human.

Check the thread title, dude.

Like I communicated last post, you don't follow. Despite this, I'll refrain from making judgment about your intelligence or character.

'night

...For the love of Pete! 'Whiners' is how it is spelled! http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Whiners

Everybody got it?

I think you're confusing wingers with whingers - a more common error in soccer, perhaps. One would never mistake Jason Robinson, or Tim Visser, for a whinger - and you could scarcely find a more upbeat fellow than Jonah Lomu, despite the medical adversities he face in his battle with kidney disease. I don't know about you, but I doubt I would do well with the ladies in the company of a whingeman -

"Let's go dancing!"

"Naw, let's nae bauther, ma feet ur killin' me..."

Anyway, I don't really see what there is to agree with, or disageee with, in my previous post, bar my opinion on the value of speculation, but on that one I am with Ray French - 'theur's no point speculaitinG"; 'none at all, Ray'

Otherwise, my previous post was merely recounting my experience with colleagues and co-workers who did not whinge about the professional environment in Thailand, as a counter-example to PaullyW's generalisation. Or perhaps you believe that my colleagues have different and more negative opinions than those they express in the pub?

SC

Like I communicated last post, you don't follow. Despite this, I'll refrain from making judgment about your intelligence or character.

'night

If you mean I choose not to follow you down yet another digressive path that's irrelevant to the topic under discussion, then yes, you're spot on.

Nice bit of name calling and running away, though. Classy stuff.

Edited by SoiBiker
  • Like 1

...For the love of Pete! 'Whiners' is how it is spelled! http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Whiners

Everybody got it?

I think you're confusing wingers with whingers - a more common error in soccer, perhaps. One would never mistake Jason Robinson, or Tim Visser, for a whinger - and you could scarcely find a more upbeat fellow than Jonah Lomu, despite the medical adversities he face in his battle with kidney disease. I don't know about you, but I doubt I would do well with the ladies in the company of a whingeman -

"Let's go dancing!"

"Naw, let's nae bauther, ma feet ur killin' me..."

Anyway, I don't really see what there is to agree with, or disageee with, in my previous post, bar my opinion on the value of speculation, but on that one I am with Ray French - 'theur's no point speculaitinG"; 'none at all, Ray'

Otherwise, my previous post was merely recounting my experience with colleagues and co-workers who did not whinge about the professional environment in Thailand, as a counter-example to PaullyW's generalisation. Or perhaps you believe that my colleagues have different and more negative opinions than those they express in the pub?

SC

Fairly easy to guess from your references that you are quite well on in your years, SC. As I mentioned earlier, this is one of the factors that affects this phenomenon. If you and your mates are on in years, one might assume you've either successfully arrived or don't care much anymore as not much can be done anymore anyway.

Has a profound impact. The older guys seem to generally fit this description.

Edited by PaullyW

Maybe they don't speak or understand English. People from English speaking countries often assume everyone speak their language.

Unless you are talking to an alien I think most people worldwide understand what Hello or Hi means

All foreigners in Thailand are aliens.

You are a bit late, someone else already stated the same as you a few hours ago, never mind mate

• Like 1

'night

If you mean I choose not to follow you down yet another digressive path that's irrelevant to the topic under discussion, then yes, you're spot on.

Nice bit of name calling and running away, though. Classy stuff.

To be honest, I can't imagine why anyone would not digress from a thread like this.

Perhaps I am being too modest - I could imagine, but such speculation would be worthless. I hope we get a bit of Steve Ganson on the telly as video ref over the weekend, while we're speculating, though...

SC