Unfriendly Farangs

AussieSteve

Fairly easy to guess from your references that you are quite well on in your years, SC. As I mentioned earlier, this is one of the factors that affects this phenomenon. If you and your mates are on in years, one might assume you've either successfully arrived or don't care much anymore as not much can be done anymore anyway.

Has a profound impact. The older guys seem to generally fit this description.

I can't speak for Mr Cowboy, but the people I know here who like the place are generally at the younger end of the scale.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairly easy to guess from your references that you are quite well on in your years, SC. As I mentioned earlier, this is one of the factors that affects this phenomenon. If you and your mates are on in years, one might assume you've either successfully arrived or don't care much anymore as not much can be done anymore anyway.

Has a profound impact. The older guys seem to generally fit this description.

I can't speak for Mr Cowboy, but the people I know here who like the place are generally at the younger end of the scale.

Young fellas don't have time to be whining. Or whinging. They should be out winning, and winging. Any young fella that feels his career is being held back by living in Thailand doesn't take his career seriously enough. Or else he's a do-nowt whinger. Or perhaps Thai, and can't get a job somewhere else.

I could've sat on my arse-bones in my home country and whinged about the business environment, but instead I got on my bike (not literally) and got a job. and a haircut (in the opposite order, not unsurprisingly).

SC

When at work and somebody asks where I Iive I say Thailand. About 10% of the responses I get are negative mentioning under-age sex. I've been visiting Thailand for years, have lived in various places in Thailand and on a couple of the islands. I've done and continue to do the bars, I've spent a short time in the temple, lived out in the sticks for a while. I had a small girlie bar for a short time and think it would be fair to say I've seen a lot of things in the Kingdom. Whether I walk around with blinkers on or simply don't see it I've never seen anything I could think of as a farang engaging in under-age sexual grooming, activity with a minor. I know a number of guys who have small children with Thai girls and they say they are often stared at when out and about alone with their kids. In most cultures there is an underground sexual exploitation of children, the UK has a lot to be ashamed of in this regard. Why does Thailand get the bad publicity?

People who like to chat with strangers, assume a friendly " hello" will be returned. Less likely to happen than say the UK as many more issues affecting those who live in Thailand.

Health, money worries, relationships, Visa overstay?, wary of the Farang duping people etc. etc.

For some who retire in Thailand it's a simple life. For many it's not.

why does everyone on here seem to be the exact same sort of people you are talking about ?? I must admit I know what you mean I have noticed many more rude and unfriendly farang here than I have Thais, not sure why and yes a lot of them don't forget just because they look like you doesn't mean they speak English but must say a smile wouldn't kill them, or maybe it would !!

don't worry about it just be who you are and keep being friendly it's a nice change

There have been a lot of comments on this topic offering a bucket of possible reasons why many foreigners don't acknowledge

greetings. One thing that seems to be missing in this thread is a discussion of basic civility.

I'm not saying that one has to engage in a lengthy conversation with every T, D, and H on the street,

but what the hell? How risky is it to merely nod and offer a smile?

I grew up in a big city, and early on we learned how to handle ourselves on the street and disengage a difficult encounter.

However, that training did not include being rude and ill mannered.

In the old days, even two men who were about to duel to the death addressed each other as "sir"!

How much less is it to acknowledge a simple greeting?

post-185769-0-73482000-1399337309_thumb.

When at work and somebody asks where I Iive I say Thailand. About 10% of the responses I get are negative mentioning under-age sex. I've been visiting Thailand for years, have lived in various places in Thailand and on a couple of the islands. I've done and continue to do the bars, I've spent a short time in the temple, lived out in the sticks for a while. I had a small girlie bar for a short time and think it would be fair to say I've seen a lot of things in the Kingdom. Whether I walk around with blinkers on or simply don't see it I've never seen anything I could think of as a farang engaging in under-age sexual grooming, activity with a minor. I know a number of guys who have small children with Thai girls and they say they are often stared at when out and about alone with their kids. In most cultures there is an underground sexual exploitation of children, the UK has a lot to be ashamed of in this regard. Why does Thailand get the bad publicity?

If you go to Paris and don't want to see a red light district then don't go to montmatre of clignancourt or a few other quartiers. In Europe I could go all my life and barely be exposed to any red light areas. OK, in Amsterdam if one arrives by train it is difficult not to see but just blink and you'll miss it.

In Thailand red light places are mixed with conventional places giving the impression that prostitution is everywhere when in reality it isn't.

This isn't a complete answer but I feel it is part of the problem.

• Like 1

We are in a rather nasty country, always under various threats from the locals who would mostly we rather not be around. It's a tough environment and not always easy to step outside of that and become as easy going as we might be in countries where we are not under constant pressure. Nobody wants to be vulnerable.

Speak for yourself. The country I live in is rather nice.

I'll speak for most expats I know who are involved in serious professional career here. The guys doing several hundred thousand a month and up. Competitive but not in a reasonable way.

How many guys you close to who make their money working in Thailand (not remittances from overseas) who do very well and who don't complain about how nasty the business environment is?

It's not something my former colleagues complain about. The expats in Thailand with whom I work never complain about it. Perhaps our industry is more honest than yours. Perhaps my friends are not born whingers - we could speculate for hours, but to no more avail than idle fantasies regarding the identity of the video referee at Odsall on Sunday

SC

A more likely "perhaps" is that aside from the odd junket here you don't even live here.

You and remarks like this are the cost of shooting the squid in this barrel :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A more likely "perhaps" is that aside from the odd junket here you don't even live here.

Because nobody can possibly have had a different experience to you?

This place amazes me sometimes.

...I'll speak for most expats I know who are involved in serious professional career here. The guys doing several hundred thousand a month and up. Competitive but not in a reasonable way.

How many guys you close to who make their money working in Thailand (not remittances from overseas) who do very well and who don't complain about how nasty the business environment is?

It's not something my former colleagues complain about. The expats in Thailand with whom I work never complain about it. Perhaps our industry is more honest than yours. Perhaps my friends are not born whingers - we could speculate for hours, but to no more avail than idle fantasies regarding the identity of the video referee at Odsall on Sunday

SC

You shoot the craw, not the squid.

I don't understand the magical insight that I would gain by living in Thailand. As it happens, I missed out on a great opportunity by not living here, and former colleagues are flocking to Thailand for the opportunities - chaps for whom cheap tottie is not a particular attraction.

I like to keep up with my contacts who are still in-country, and do a fair job of it. Still no idea who will be the man in the box for Odsall on Sunday, though. You might have noticed, now there's actually two of them, and Steve Ganson is a regular

SC

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

tingtongdingdong, on 06 May 2014 - 11:32, said:
Thaiberius, on 06 May 2014 - 04:02, said:

Good comeback, shame someone who a newbie has more sense than you.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

tingtongdingdong, on 06 May 2014 - 11:32, said:
Thaiberius, on 06 May 2014 - 04:02, said:

Good comeback, shame someone who a newbie has more sense than you.

• Like 1

post-107569-0-03430600-1399365608_thumb.

• Like 1

That might be true for a sensitive soul like you. But I think for most a more likely explanation is that when you live in a big city, you don't waste your time talking to every Tom, Dick or Harry you happen to cross paths with.

Now you know me? Interesting.

How would you explain the obvious contrast that we see with Asians in Thailand? The Japanese seem to be more willing to open up and interact with strangers of their own nationality. Same for the ethnic Chinese here. Just 2 examples. I suspect that many of these Japanese are from some of the largest cities in the world.

Indeed a Japanese exec I chat with occasionally says that this unwillingness of Westerners to "stick together" is one of the things that baffles Asians.

Can you explain that using your theory?

Yes, the Japanese in Thailand would probably chat up one another. Same with Koreans. But the Japanese aren't going to be friendly to OTHER Asians. I know some Koreans who can't stand the Japanese. So your suggestion that farangs of all nationality should "stick together" is not the same as your Japanese example.

Hawaythairpal! Whair'ur youfi? Whit'syernaim, Jimmy?

Why would you not greet someone?

I greet everyone who greets me, everywhere. It's just a matter of good manners. Sometimes, when someone looks approachable, I greet first; veeery seldom do I get blanked. And when this happens, Hey, no hard feelings!

On my daily running exercise I see often this (Thai) father wis his mentally challenged son walking rounds and I always stop to shake hands and say hello with the boy, makes us all feel happy.

• Like 1

You do know that Livingstone blanked Stanley for a week, despite almost bumping trolleys in Tescos several times.

In the pub, Livingstone got up and moved to another table when Stanley sat next to him, and then pulled out a newspaper and pretended to read?

Also that Stanley had been using the old "Dr Livingstone, I presume" ice-breaking conversational gambit all the way from London on men and women alike, regardless of colour or creed.

• Like 1

Going on the gym scenario, i personally LOATHE someone trying to talk to me at the gym. ..more than anywhere else.
I avoid chatters at the gym like the plague.

I go to the gym to work out.
Some enjoy wasting (imo) time chattering..which is fine if both parties are happy.
But nothing worse than being put in the awkward position of having to be polite when really i just want to be working out.
I, like many, go to the gym for a specific purpose, namely to work out, not to have social interactions.
Now you may argue that it was just a friendly hello and nothing more. However, experience has taught me personally that it never is JUST a friendly hello and nothing more. It is usually a friendly hello one day..then the next a hello and some more chatter...followed by more...followed by more..and so on until you end up with someone talking AT you when you are trying to do a work out (or whatever else it is you would prefer doing. Reading a book. Taking a photo. etc. For some the idea that you enjoy solo pursuits or have a purpose in mind that doesnt involve chitter chatter is sadly beyond comprehensable)
Seriously, there are some who would talk to a wooden pole given half a chance.

• Like 1

Hmmm. And yet you opine on a Thai expat forum.

I am in much the same position although probably older but chose to manage my affairs from here.

After considerable experience I can assure you that fiscal idiocy has little to do with age, class, education or training.

J

• Like 1

Hmmm. And yet you opine on a Thai expat forum.

I am in much the same position although probably older but chose to manage my affairs from here.

After considerable experience I can assure you that fiscal idiocy has little to do with age, class, education or training.

J

sometimes fuggedabout it, just means fuggedaboutit..

Sent from my HTC One mini using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That might be true for a sensitive soul like you. But I think for most a more likely explanation is that when you live in a big city, you don't waste your time talking to every Tom, Dick or Harry you happen to cross paths with.

Now you know me? Interesting.

How would you explain the obvious contrast that we see with Asians in Thailand? The Japanese seem to be more willing to open up and interact with strangers of their own nationality. Same for the ethnic Chinese here. Just 2 examples. I suspect that many of these Japanese are from some of the largest cities in the world.

Indeed a Japanese exec I chat with occasionally says that this unwillingness of Westerners to "stick together" is one of the things that baffles Asians.

Can you explain that using your theory?

Yes, the Japanese in Thailand would probably chat up one another. Same with Koreans. But the Japanese aren't going to be friendly to OTHER Asians. I know some Koreans who can't stand the Japanese. So your suggestion that farangs of all nationality should "stick together" is not the same as your Japanese example.

So true. And also accounted for by a rigid class system. Same vast array of coping skills I imagine, perhaps less pretence and folly. Not exactly home turf advantage but their is some benefit to sort of fitting in.

I think of Thailand as the Japanese expat's Mexico.

Going on the gym scenario, i personally LOATHE someone trying to talk to me at the gym. ..more than anywhere else.

Some enjoy wasting (imo) time chattering..which is fine if both parties are happy.

But nothing worse than being put in the awkward position of having to be polite when really i just want to be working out.

I, like many, go to the gym for a specific purpose, namely to work out, not to have social interactions.

Now you may argue that it was just a friendly hello and nothing more. However, experience has taught me personally that it never is JUST a friendly hello and nothing more. It is usually a friendly hello one day..then the next a hello and some more chatter...followed by more...followed by more..and so on until you end up with someone talking AT you when you are trying to do a work out (or whatever else it is you would prefer doing. Reading a book. Taking a photo. etc. For some the idea that you enjoy solo pursuits or have a purpose in mind that doesnt involve chitter chatter is sadly beyond comprehensable)

I will gladly take a gym chatter over a urinal chatter.

Agree. What is it with these people that want to be your buddy at the gym? When I go to the gym, I just want to do my workout and get the heck out. Don't want to talk. Don't want to listen. Just want to workout. The problem is that when you just innocently reply to another farang's greetings, this guy will think you're his buddy for life. Which means that THE NEXT TIME you see him, you must absolutely treat him like your buddy for life. Which means your little fitness sanctuary has been violated, probably permanently. Because even if you try to be nice to the guy and say "look man, I just want to workout. Sorry I can't talk much. Bye bye...," this guy is going to now label you as public enemy number one. And he'll most likely start a thread on TV to tell everyone what an evil, unfriendly farang you are!!

• Like 1

Agree. What is it with these people that want to be your buddy at the gym? When I go to the gym, I just want to do my workout and get the heck out. Don't want to talk. Don't want to listen. Just want to workout. The problem is that when you just innocently reply to another farang's greetings, this guy will think you're his buddy for life. Which means that THE NEXT TIME you see him, you must absolutely treat him like your buddy for life. Which means your little fitness sanctuary has been violated, probably permanently. Because even if you try to be nice to the guy and say "look man, I just want to workout. Sorry I can't talk much. Bye bye...," this guy is going to now label you as public enemy number one. And he'll most likely start a thread on TV to tell everyone what an evil, unfriendly farang you are!!

The floodgates open if you as much as nod. They will tell you how to exercise, how many reps, how much weight, what protein is the best blah blah blah.

• Like 2