Unfriendly Farangs

AussieSteve

Going on the gym scenario, i personally LOATHE someone trying to talk to me at the gym. ..more than anywhere else.

I avoid chatters at the gym like the plague.

I go to the gym to work out.

Some enjoy wasting (imo) time chattering..which is fine if both parties are happy.

But nothing worse than being put in the awkward position of having to be polite when really i just want to be working out.

I, like many, go to the gym for a specific purpose, namely to work out, not to have social interactions.

Now you may argue that it was just a friendly hello and nothing more. However, experience has taught me personally that it never is JUST a friendly hello and nothing more. It is usually a friendly hello one day..then the next a hello and some more chatter...followed by more...followed by more..and so on until you end up with someone talking AT you when you are trying to do a work out (or whatever else it is you would prefer doing. Reading a book. Taking a photo. etc. For some the idea that you enjoy solo pursuits or have a purpose in mind that doesnt involve chitter chatter is sadly beyond comprehensable)

Seriously, there are some who would talk to a wooden pole given half a chance.

I will gladly take a gym chatter over a urinal chatter.

At least with urinal chatter, if you want to get rid of the person, peeing on their shoes by "mistake" gets rid of them...biggrin.png

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going on the gym scenario, i personally LOATHE someone trying to talk to me at the gym. ..more than anywhere else.

I avoid chatters at the gym like the plague.

I go to the gym to work out.

Some enjoy wasting (imo) time chattering..which is fine if both parties are happy.

But nothing worse than being put in the awkward position of having to be polite when really i just want to be working out.

I, like many, go to the gym for a specific purpose, namely to work out, not to have social interactions.

Now you may argue that it was just a friendly hello and nothing more. However, experience has taught me personally that it never is JUST a friendly hello and nothing more. It is usually a friendly hello one day..then the next a hello and some more chatter...followed by more...followed by more..and so on until you end up with someone talking AT you when you are trying to do a work out (or whatever else it is you would prefer doing. Reading a book. Taking a photo. etc. For some the idea that you enjoy solo pursuits or have a purpose in mind that doesnt involve chitter chatter is sadly beyond comprehensable)

Seriously, there are some who would talk to a wooden pole given half a chance.

I will gladly take a gym chatter over a urinal chatter.

At least with urinal chatter, if you want to get rid of the person, peeing on their shoes by "mistake" gets rid of them...biggrin.png

I'm sure the same thing will work with an overly friendly person at the gym. ;)

Aussie Steve from a fellow Aus.

Australians in general are very friendly and will talk to anyone. But not all nationalities are like that. When you go to a supermarket in Aus. do you say Hi to everybody. Of course you don't. In our own countries we don't talk to everyone. So why do it in LOS?? I am so used to living in Thailand that when I come home I DO smile at people in the street. Very rarely do they respond. The old ladies obviously think it's a scam and the MEN of ANY age obviously think I'm about to rape them. That they should be so lucky!!!! I wouldn't dream of humping them even if I was paid an enormous amount of money. Where I live, the indigenous people are so ugly.....erk......

I was in my favourite 'hangout' resto in CM a few years back. It was New Year's Eve. The restaurent was in a very wide street, with lots of people passing by. A rather gorgeous American was standing at the entrance calling 'Happy New Year" to all the pretty girls . Nine out of ten were very upset and outraged. Of course we all had a good laugh.

These people who don't reply to you.....p.erhaps they are afraid to. You may take advantage, become a pest. And I could go on and on.....

• Like 1