What are your top priority upgrades after buying a new bike?

There are many topics about upgrades, many different opinions and also many different budgets, I think that most of us buy a new bike but are already thinking about possible upgrades, some however think a bike is good as it is. Others go for looks while a large number also chooses safety as priority.

So what are your first changes on a bike?

I have two bikes here, a 2012 honda click on which I only changed the rear suspension for a gas shock. For the rest just small maintenance and I think that after almost 15.000 km and before the rainy season it can use new tires.

My other bike is a 2014 Kawa ninja 300. This of course offers a wider range of upgrades available. The first things I have changed now is the exhaust for a yoshimura cloning, I am no member of the 'loud pipes save lifes' clan but, I think it adds to the fun on a sporty styled bike. Also it can be easy in bkk traffic to let cars know that they have to move a bit. Additional I installed a tidy tail with matching led signal lights.

Now these are only optical and for sound. My next plan was to install more 'useful' upgrades and I think it could be interesting to hear everyones opinions on here. I am thinking about new tires on the other side, why would you replace brand new factory tires? does it make that much of a difference?? Frame sliders crossed my mind as well since it could be very handy if it happens you fall down. Still, they look hideous and in Bkk traffic (mostly) the change is so much bigger to have a collision with a car from which side soever but than frame sliders will less likely help to reduce damage, on the other side you can have them installed for under 3000 so whats the deal in the end right? Also I will look for bigger sized grips because I think the small Thai hand sized give an uncomfortable feeling on longer rides. On a website I saw a ohlins rear shock for about 11.000 will this be a good thing to do? On this forum I also read about power commanders, this is knowledge far beyond my point but maybe some people here think it is an valuable addition.

My last thing is that I want to buy a go pro, I think it should be loads of fun to have as well as with riding for also for other stuff to do. For me as much as everyone I cannot buy everything in one time and also it would take away of the fun on upgrading a bike.

So, what did you do?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On my current bike I installed a full system (which added power it didn't really need, and dropped weight it needed a lot) and a Power Commander to adjust the fuel curve (which is usually necessary as a new header changes the A/F ratio- you don't need one as you only have a slip-on which doesn't require compensation)- I swapped out the brake lines (for braided steel) and pads- I added HID headlights- I remapped the ECU to increase mid-range power and remove some limiters- I added folding levers- I replaced the windscreen as the stocker was too low for me- I did a few other things that I could have done without but I was having fun modding the bike.

As far as replacing your new tires- are you finding that you're exceeding the limits of your stock tires? If you're sliding around and using less lean angle than you'd like to because your tires are letting you down, by all means replace them- otherwise keep them until they wear out. An Ohlins shock is never a bad upgrade- you might not really need it depending on your skill level but (provided it's correctly adjusted) it sure isn't going to do you any harm, and it looks really cool.;)

I'm sure there are forums devoted to your bike- I'd research them and see what other riders are doing as far as mods are concerned- that's what I did for my bike, and it was really helpful to have specific info for my particular model- some bikes respond better to certain modifications than others, so it's difficult for me to say, 'You should do XXX to your bike' as I don't have much information about it and can only speak in generalities.

The best upgrades are those done to the rider- some track days, professional instruction, etc are usually worth the money, and will help you be both a faster and safer pilot.

• Like 2

Get some track training or parking lot training from a professional...something I'm planning to heed soon.

First modification up should be the tyres. I have a Ninja 250R and that was the best thing I did. Going from those slick, and long lasting, IRC to Pirelli tyres is unbelievable confidence booster. Also tied into that is getting a pair of uprated springs for the front forks. If you are a lightweight it's not such a big deal, but for us <ahem> hefty farangs, it sure does stop the bottoming out, vague front end that will occasionally go pogo stick on you. Unless you are really hammering the bike, I think with a proper preload adjustment the rear shock is just fine.

I also installed a set of Galfer stainless brake lines. Now my rear locks up even faster under my ham foot and the front is much more enjoyable to two finger brake with.

Sliders don't stick out that far; just make sure if you install some they mount to the frame rather than the engine. The ones I have on are not any bigger than my feet stick out the side.

I installed a Grim dbs full exhaust on my bike. Weight savings is substantial. Sound is much better. Power...well even increasing it by ~10% (which I don't think it did) only adds like 2 1/2 hp. I added in a PCIV, which helped the mid-range, but once again I never dynoed it before nor after so can't give added hp. I also noticed the PCIV helped a bit with off-idle fueling; meaning it didn't feel so abrupt when opening up at lower RPMs.

• Like 1

Good, these are the replies I hoped for, someone is saying the tires don't need any change and for another its the first thing to do. I am no real sports rider, the roads in Thailand are not so reliable that my knees touch ground in corners ;) but since many people keep recommending the tire swap ill re-consider it

the brake lines are interesting as well thnx for the replies so far.

First upgrade you should do is the insurance. Upgrade to 1st Class.

Second upgrade should be you, the rider. Do a riding course. Honda offer these.

Then tires. Brakes. Pipe/ECU/Airfilter.

• Like 2

Why do you want to mod your bike? Do you want to increase the BHP or handling or just bling it out? Firstly I would invest in a 20,000 Baht plus helmet, CE approved jacket with back protector, Kevlar jeans with CE knee and hip protectors and full length boots and 3000 Baht plus gloves. Go to Paddock or Panda Rider in BKK and get kitted out and then go to Bira Track Day this weekend for free training and get a new set of Pirellis at the track after you have destroyed your existing rubber.

• Like 2

I think it would depend on the bike.

Exhaust, maybe a better seat, maybe I dislike the tail/ tail light.

Proper insurance and gear is a given.

The one thing I should have done on the Ninja is a power commander, it just surged all the time at low speeds.

Stock cheap tires are okay until you find yourself out in wet conditions, sliding every time you downshift or touch the brakes.

Not fun.

If you like your new bike a disc brake lock with built in alarm for 450baht should be considered.

A mesh seat cover for 250baht improves comfort and helps vs heat rash in the golden triangle.

• Like 1

GiPro from Healtech so that I don't keep looking for 7th gear.

Better tyres as a confidence booster, to eliminate one of the many survival reactions.

A better horn, which works as well as louder pipes in bringing your attention to other road users.

Crash protectors, either crash bars or sliders and of course hand guards as well

Reflective strips on your rims - they do stand out at night and helps in visibility to other road users.

I don't bother much with other visual accessories such as tail tidies, led signal lights etc.

• Like 1

It has to be protectors, tires, suspensions, brakes(pads and braided brake lines), power, decreasing the weight of the bike and cosmetics respectively although I cannot follow those order all the time.

Better tires and suspensions provides more confidence and you ride your bike faster and safer.

Sliders and other protectors are always a good investment if they are installed properly and they do protect a bike from expensive damage such as engine/transmission covers, frame, swimgarm, brakes and sometime your legs/feet.

There are many topics about upgrades, many different opinions and also many different budgets, I think that most of us buy a new bike but are already thinking about possible upgrades, some however think a bike is good as it is. Others go for looks while a large number also chooses safety as priority.

I have two bikes here, a 2012 honda click on which I only changed the rear suspension for a gas shock. For the rest just small maintenance and I think that after almost 15.000 km and before the rainy season it can use new tires.

My other bike is a 2014 Kawa ninja 300. This of course offers a wider range of upgrades available. The first things I have changed now is the exhaust for a yoshimura cloning, I am no member of the 'loud pipes save lifes' clan but, I think it adds to the fun on a sporty styled bike. Also it can be easy in bkk traffic to let cars know that they have to move a bit. Additional I installed a tidy tail with matching led signal lights.

Now these are only optical and for sound. My next plan was to install more 'useful' upgrades and I think it could be interesting to hear everyones opinions on here. I am thinking about new tires on the other side, why would you replace brand new factory tires? does it make that much of a difference?? Frame sliders crossed my mind as well since it could be very handy if it happens you fall down. Still, they look hideous and in Bkk traffic (mostly) the change is so much bigger to have a collision with a car from which side soever but than frame sliders will less likely help to reduce damage, on the other side you can have them installed for under 3000 so whats the deal in the end right? Also I will look for bigger sized grips because I think the small Thai hand sized give an uncomfortable feeling on longer rides. On a website I saw a ohlins rear shock for about 11.000 will this be a good thing to do? On this forum I also read about power commanders, this is knowledge far beyond my point but maybe some people here think it is an valuable addition.

My last thing is that I want to buy a go pro, I think it should be loads of fun to have as well as with riding for also for other stuff to do. For me as much as everyone I cannot buy everything in one time and also it would take away of the fun on upgrading a bike.

So, what did you do?

It seems to me the top upgrade is to make it as noisy as possible, seconded by buying a silly looking helmet.

So, what did you do?

It seems to me the top upgrade is to make it as noisy as possible, seconded by buying a silly looking helmet.
Haha, had just read your headline when first posting, but after reading your post, it turns out I was right, you did indeed go for the noise upgrade - surprise.

Maybe after you have bought the silly looking helmet, you can install a stereo, and perhaps some flashy lights :-)

Oh, and don't forget to grow a mullet, all cool bikers have that - and it's free!!!

Edited by monkeycountry

First upgrade you should do is the insurance. Upgrade to 1st Class.

Second upgrade should be you, the rider. Do a riding course. Honda offer these.

Then tires. Brakes. Pipe/ECU/Airfilter.

First class insurance I have, good gear also and experience too dont worry about that :)

So, what did you do?

Haha, had just read your headline when first posting, but after reading your post, it turns out I was right, you did indeed go for the noise upgrade - surprise.

Maybe after you have bought the silly looking helmet, you can install a stereo, and perhaps some flashy lights :-)

Dont have any interesting to tell then shut it... If you dont like bikes then shut it...

thnx

Oh, and don't forget to grow a mullet, all cool bikers have that - and it's free!!!

Picked up a new PCX today and plan to buy only one thing, a net mesh cover for the seat. You can't sit on a black seat that's been sitting in the noontime sun. I have one on the old bike and works perfectly. Under 500 baht.

• Like 2

I want to find a woman with at least 2 children...so we can all ride together...weave in and out of traffic...with no helmets on...that will be so cool...

• Like 1

i guess all was said ..i will insist on safety wear and strong Horns i buy 115DB horns many times as they tend to break or dislike water ..never mind its 600 bt for being heard and wake up distracted phone users and sleepy taxis.

of course strong lights helps as well.

irc tyres are siamese soap bars to rehearse holiday on ice ballet on a wet day ..get rid of them at the beginning of rain season.

loud exhaust doesn't help much as you decelerating most of the times you need to approach a narrow spot between cars trucks and buses (crazyyyy buses)

one cheap and useful safety trick ..REFLECTIVE STICKERS on helmets !!!! rfective rim of couse as its beautiful match with the bike color too...

embroid the jacket with " the road is NOT a RACING TRACK " in ` ไทย !!!!

• Like 1

So, what did you do?

Dont have any interesting to tell then shut it... If you dont like bikes then shut it...

thnx

Sorry, did not know bikers were the only ones allowed to make excessive noise :-)

Also that I never said. I think 90% of all bike riders will be interested in a better sound than stock. I never implicated that a new exhaust or more noise was my first priority but I told others what I had changed on mine and asked about other peoples mods on bikes

none of your comments are constructive in any way so better you go to bed and ask your mommy for some warm milk, boy....

Also that I never said. I think 90% of all bike riders will be interested in a better sound than stock. I never implicated that a new exhaust or more noise was my first priority but I told others what I had changed on mine and asked about other peoples mods on bikes

none of your comments are constructive in any way so better you go to bed and ask your mommy for some warm milk, boy....

Maybe it is just a coincidence then that "better sound" always ends up being a lot more sound :-)

Just as it may be just a coincidence that the first upgrade bikers make is always the sound - just like you :-)

If 90% upgrade the sound, which I agree with you they do, then why does the factory not just upgrade the new bikes to start with?

It is probably because it is illegal, and it is probably illegal because it is annoying for everyone around - just guessing :-)

I guess I understand it though, lots of noise will indeed make people turn around and look at your fancy new bike - and the silly helmet, stereo and flashy lights might even make them take your picture :-)

Anyway, you asked for advice on upgrades which I gave you, and since we seem to agree on the first upgrade (the noise), then I think there is a good chance you will make the other upgrades soon too. Maybe you already did? Come on, admit it, you already bought the silly helmet didn't you? How long is your hair? :-D

Edited by monkeycountry
  • Like 1

You know what they say about guys with big bikes right? I'll help you, it rhymes with "mall enis" :-D

You know what they say about guys with big bikes right? I'll help you, it rhymes with "mall enis" :-D

haha ur funny

haha ur funny
Thanks, trying my best. Anyway, no hard feelings, have fun with your new bike :-) Edited by monkeycountry