Tips for senior travelling solo?

smo

Wowww, WOWWWWWWWWWW Men,

I just hope I will active like you senior gentlemen after 35 years.

I admire you guys cause I always thought travelling in Asia (TH) is no country for old men. I was mistaken.

Wowww, WOWWWWWWWWWW Men,

I just hope I will active like you senior gentlemen after 35 years.

I admire you guys cause I always thought travelling in Asia (TH) is no country for old men. I was mistaken.

You sure were! ..... we are not all bar props with out a life! tongue.png

To the OP re this statement... from jsflynn603

"Lastly, find a younger, active partner, preferably twenty or more years younger than you, "In attempting to keep up with her she will either add twenty years to your expected life, or kill you, though you will likely die with a smile on your face."

Forget that idea "Honey will only want your money"! wink.png ... well except perhaps the last part ....tongue.pngbiggrin.png

The thing is traveling in is same for young people has old people

1} passport

2}visa if you need it

3} good insurance medical insurance if you need it

4} money

5} some clothes and shoes for the first couple of days.Take underwear harder to find in Thailand.

6} easy going personality

7]tablets if you need

Everthing else you can buy in Thailand.Just remember a smile will get you a long way in Thailand.

OP here –

Tons of good advice and lots of encouragement, thank you so much folks –and please keep them coming. Hats off especially to those with bad knees/hips who are determined (ad)venturing on. My physical weakness comes from a herniated disk that required operation, and because that was delayed too long I think it half-killed my sciatic nerve on the right side and ever since the recovery the right leg has become somewhat “retarded!” I can still kinda run (“schlepping” is more like it) after buses and have no problem jumping in and out of the klong boat. I just have to really watch my steps and consider my footing as my balance is now more on the “tottering” side. So in a way I’m still physically fit and furthermore can cover long distances of walking without pain or even fatigue.

So for me it’s more like, “there’s nothing like fear but fear itself!” I think the back injury has caused more than just physical damage. (Also coming here off a sojourn in Vietnam a much more hardened place than Thailand I tend to look at the external through dark-colored glasses). I will have to scrape the psychological scales off my eyes and see that there’s nothing to it regarding travelling solo here. The infrastructure is good, transportation is plentiful, the roads (and the “natives”) are generally safe and accommodating, lodging more than adequate, etc. I just have to go out there and do it with plenty of advance planning and few luggage.

So my baby steps would be taking the train to one of the little towns on the gulf coast toward Hua Hin and get a hang of being on the road alone. I have sworn off driving the moment I said goodbye to my Camry in California last winter. I have also sworn off riding or getting rides on motorcycles ever since a friend fell off one and broke his skull and died early into his retirement in (again) Vietnam some years back. I’m also not keen on taking on a travelling companion since the kind I used to have required considerably more than just extra expenses for additional tickets and food - we all know too well what that entails and my early retirement budget kinda puts a constraint on that.

I will also pm a few folks who have gone to various destinations that I would consider and ask them for more practical pointers.

So thanks for contributing to this thread and make it an interesting and hopefully helpful one to others besides myself.

On the road again….

Thank you for your interesting post.... keep going.... and good luck.

My favorite comment to the youngsters is "You are coming my way (if you make it).... I am not going your way!" coffee1.gif

• Like 1

OP here –

Tons of good advice and lots of encouragement, thank you so much folks –and please keep them coming. Hats off especially to those with bad knees/hips who are determined (ad)venturing on. My physical weakness comes from a herniated disk that required operation, and because that was delayed too long I think it half-killed my sciatic nerve on the right side and ever since the recovery the right leg has become somewhat “retarded!” I can still kinda run (“schlepping” is more like it) after buses and have no problem jumping in and out of the klong boat. I just have to really watch my steps and consider my footing as my balance is now more on the “tottering” side. So in a way I’m still physically fit and furthermore can cover long distances of walking without pain or even fatigue.

So for me it’s more like, “there’s nothing like fear but fear itself!” I think the back injury has caused more than just physical damage. (Also coming here off a sojourn in Vietnam a much more hardened place than Thailand I tend to look at the external through dark-colored glasses). I will have to scrape the psychological scales off my eyes and see that there’s nothing to it regarding travelling solo here. The infrastructure is good, transportation is plentiful, the roads (and the “natives”) are generally safe and accommodating, lodging more than adequate, etc. I just have to go out there and do it with plenty of advance planning and few luggage.

So my baby steps would be taking the train to one of the little towns on the gulf coast toward Hua Hin and get a hang of being on the road alone. I have sworn off driving the moment I said goodbye to my Camry in California last winter. I have also sworn off riding or getting rides on motorcycles ever since a friend fell off one and broke his skull and died early into his retirement in (again) Vietnam some years back. I’m also not keen on taking on a travelling companion since the kind I used to have required considerably more than just extra expenses for additional tickets and food - we all know too well what that entails and my early retirement budget kinda puts a constraint on that.

I will also pm a few folks who have gone to various destinations that I would consider and ask them for more practical pointers.

So thanks for contributing to this thread and make it an interesting and hopefully helpful one to others besides myself.

On the road again….

Seems to me we gave Peppa ^ a lot of info on the Samui forum, several months ago.... I can't remember the tread now .... facepalm.gif But perhaps Peppa remembers? wink.png More info there if it can be found, that might help!

Enjoy the visit.... thumbsup.gif

Thanks guys, you did give me heaps of useful information in that thread.

The hardest part of travelling with crook knees or back is the walking. I found it hard not to have to walk even though I booked my accommodation in the town centre or near restaurants/food outlets. And the trouble with travelling solo is sometimes tuk tuks won't take just one passenger, it's not worth their while, although lying in the tuk tuk and getting no fare at all does seem to be a strange way of doing business, but maybe a short trip isn't worth the petrol????

In Ao Nang I got a long tail boat around to Railay, most beautiful beach in the world, clear blue/aqua water, amazing cave and picture postcard scenery.....well! just like the pictures showed. I was a bit worried about climbing up onto the boat, the first step seemed fairly high, but I managed and the other tourists/locals were a great help, taking my bag for me. I managed to get off without incident, unlike the young bloke that fell in as we were getting off. Of course we all laughed, then I did the same thing when we got back to Ao Nang, head first into the drink....Karma!

I'm ok with walking if I take my time and have rests and luckily there always seems to be somewhere to sit and watch the goings on.

A tip for solo women.....I always take a little plastic door stopper, just for that extra security at night. I don't usually go out much at night or at least back safely in my room by nine. I met some other travellers in Chiang Mai and met them for tea, had a tall bottle of beer, tripped over on the crooked pavement and wrecked my hand lol!!! not sure if it was the beer, not used to alcohol or the bad night vision.

This next trip should be a breeze if I get the wheelchair at KL airport, fly to Surat Thani, stay there for two days then onto Samui, Phangan and a day trip to Tao. I will probably stay at Bophut and Lamai, both seem to have markets nearby.

Oh! another tip for women, I hope I don't sound alarmist, but I carry a little personal alarm that makes an extremely loud siren when the little tag is pulled.....I think it would scare off any would-be muggers.

walking stick good idea! yesterday i saw a man 60+ with two navigating down busy side walk on so pattaya road near market. you do have to avoid those walking sticks and he was moving along very good with them! might also get no ? ask when boarding a flight too!

As IBoldnewguy picked up on Stumbling could be a balance/coordination isse and not just because of your lazy leg, something you might want to think about getting investigated.

Try to be off the road/rail/plane by 6pm.

I travelled around the world for 6 months 11 years ago. Now 55, I don't think I could do what I did then. Didn't even have wheels on my heavy soft holdall type bag.

If you can afford it a travelling companion is definately the way to go. They can help in so many ways, not least by standing with the bags whilst you visit the bathroom. Its only a small thing, but oh boy does it make your day easier.