Tips for senior travelling solo?

smo

I used to travel solo, no problems, lugging heavy backpacks, running after trains and buses, sprinting through airport terminals with boarding pass on one hand and dragging carry-ons with another, etc. but that was a good dozen years ago.

Turning 60 this year, with an injured back that has been operated on, vision that gets blurry at dusk, shortened memory (“where did I put those damn glasses?”) , faltering footsteps (tripping a number of times in the last few months getting on and off Bangkok city buses), not to mention a finicky – well you know what I mean - bladder, I don’t feel so confident getting on the road alone anymore. Still, I imagine other seniors have by hook or by crook come up with a successful travelling “recipe” that works for them in spite of diminishing physical abilities (whether with a larger budget to pad out the bumps, or with assisting traveling companion… )

Personally I feel more safe and comfortable in most parts of Thailand than anywhere else in south-east Asia. Thus still entertain the prospect of travelling around the country well into retirement age. Anyway, would appreciate those in similar circumstances who still go places with a minimum amount of fuss and mishaps, would share their experiences on how to arrive in one piece in a strange place with their wits and their luggage still about them.

Thank you much in advance for your input.

Ps – just an anecdote: one spring many moons ago, I was in Budapest visiting its world –famous hot spring palaces. I kept seeing one Japanese chap who showed up at almost every venue that I went. Fair enough, he was another tourist just like me. The only difference was that he always walked, or rather hopped around on crutches! Soon I began to look at him in awe, trying to figure what obstacles the poor chap must have gone through in order to get to where we were every single time.

Travel light, lighter the better. Clothes are so cheap here...they're disposable. Clogs and sneakers work for me. Electronics are a necessity, smart phone and tablet. Minimize. A lightweight backpack is the way to go. One that has a handle so it can be a suitcase. Help is usually available at all transportation centers. Piece of cake. Have fun.

• Like 1

When you make your flight reservations, and it should be done then, simply request wheelchair assistance.

You should see WCH somewhere on your ticket/E-ticket.

It will start at check-in in Bangkok and carry on through any transfers en-route and through Immigration/Baggage Collection/Customs at your final destination. On return, you will even get fast tracked through Bangkok Immigration, collect your baggage and taken on to a taxi or meeting point.

It's all free, whatever type of ticket you have and it's very routine, the airlines don't blink an eyelid.

Always handy if you can get your doctor (or any old clinic here) to give you a cert. to say assistance is required.

After that, relax and enjoy the trip, brilliant way to get through airports.

• Like 1

I last went to thailand at age 58, and needing a knee replacement. I still got around OK, the fact that transportation is available very cheaply almost everywhere, except Phuket, makes things a lot easier. I make sure to stay at hotels that have elevators also. I had my TKR when I got back to California, so hopefully I will be able to be a bit more adventurous on my next trip. The inability to run fast can be a disadvantage, also the uneven sidewalks are rough for somebody with bad knees.

Well I'm 78 with a multitude of medical problems and as a result I do not travel as much as I would like to, but when I travel I do my homework first.

Airlines as someone mentioned give free wheelchair service when asked beforehand. In my case WCHR i.e. Wheelchair Ramp which means passenger can walk short distances and climb stairs (albeit it slowly).

I avoid buses and trains, use taxi's where possible, drive myself or have my better half drive me.

Hotels must have valet service, elevators (easy to find out nowadays) and shuttle service if for example an airport hotel.

Most of all these extra's cost money but are well worth it IMHO.

Yermanee wai.gif

For domestic travel buy a car and a GPS. From Bangkok, you can drive anywhere in the county in a day and one tank of fuel.

When you're driving, you always have the best seat, you go where you want, when you want, take just about whatever you want, and you can always stop to take a leak.

Stay at hotels with bell service.

For air travel, buy good spinner luggage and always check your bags. You don't have to carry them and you'll don't have to worry about missing a connection.

The crutch/wheelchair thing is okay, but it too often abused.

• Like 1

Lots of good tips here....getting to the stage where i have to take note of these things myself.....if only I could retain half of these tips.....I know.....WRITE IT DOWN................. Safe travelling all.

P.S......Must not complain about getting old though....I know some people who would have given all....to have lived to the same age I am now....drink killed them off early.

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 1

Are their any good photography tours for solo seniors in SE Asia

I saw a real interesting one in Bangkok, but don't have any links. I would post this as a new topic over in the photography sub forum. Have fun!

Well, as i get older, my travel preferences have changed and I do not need to stick with old habits and modes of transport. I have a vehicle. Suitcases have wheels, I stay at nicer hotels with bellhops who carry my bags… and swimming pools for me to lounge around. I do not have as much desire to visit every tourist haunt, but enjoy some unusual, less traveled spots. A nice waterfall is a lovely way to spend an afternoon, not neding to see every temple in town or on a tour...

Do less and enjoy more, if that suits… no need to Type A my travel as I have time to relax too… have fun!!

I suggest a physical checkup - faltering steps/balance problems may have something to do with inner ear/hearing - also maybe high BP. Do you know that you forget? If you forget and don't know it then there might be other issues. Needing to urinate often can be prostate or too much beer before a Thai bus ride - mention all your concerns to your Doctor. Knowing your aging limitations is important because then you can compensate safely.

Avoidable accidental injuries are one of the major causes of death (I think it's in the top ten) regardless of age (but more so if you are older). Standing tippy toe on a chair to change a light bulb is a no-no. Wear good shoes, tied properly and watch your step - flip flops are another no-no.

I am 70 - forming habits works for me - I have a tray that holds everything that comes out of my pockets - I seldom have to look for a lost item. As per all the good advice from other responders - there is a way out for most problems - but 1st we need to recognize/know what those problems really are. Best regards and a safe adventure to you.... coffee1.gif

Hi, I admire your tenacity. Back surgery and vision problems are impediments to enying travel safely. I am 68, other than IBS and more frequent need to pee, I am lucky and enjoy good health. For me, planning ahead, and thinking about my needs before I go is my concession to reality. Yes memory loss, and night vision, are concerns too. I still travel by motorcycle, car, and air in thailand. Making sure to have the meds that I need to treat symptoms and being alert to warning signs form my body and packing light I manage to enjoy my travel alone. More frequent stops, [packing light, traveling shorter distances each day all help. I hope this all wan't too trite. Light lugage would be a must with back issues. I just bought a new Delsy bag made of hte lightest ever material and smooth wheels. That is the sort of amenity to look for I guess.

Be well and enjoy your travels. I agree that Thailand is gentle country with much to appreciate.

• Like 2

73 and just finished a six week trip around Thailand and Laos. Don't speak Thai so the number one trick was travel with a Thai women. They pack and unpack for you, massage sore legs, love to cook for you and make you feel 20 years younger. Now I am on way back because I miss my travel companion. Costs of a travel companion are minimal. Extra airfare or bus fees and a little more food and I few clothes as gifts.

• Like 1

Lucky me; I don't have much in the way of health issues yet. But since you quoted an anecdote, I had a friend in the UK, many years ago - haven't seen him for some years - who is a couple of months older than me. He suffered polio as a child, leaving one leg withered, but his main leisure pursuit was walking, with sticks, for a distance and at a pace across fields, through forests and up tors, that would leave many normally-mobile people dead on their feet. And I assume, all things being equal, that he still does. So why not start by getting a stick - or sticks - and use them as you feel the need?

Train. Goes nearly everywhere at a very affordable price with a reasonably low accident rate.Can get on and off anywhere at your hearts desire and relax viewing the countryside or reading a book. Worried about your bladder function? Just stroll up to the toilet. Hungry? Women regularly travel up and down with food and drinks.

• Like 1

Always good to book your accommodation in advance, either internet or phone. Gives that place to aim for rather than meandering around at some late/early hour seeking a room.

Though it takes advanced planning, that's what I always try to do. On a recent trip, I didn't do any advanced planning and ended up not being able to see an attraction I really wanted to see. And in Khao Lak, we spent a few hours driving around trying to find a good place. Pictures on the internet (and maps) don't always match up with reality.

God this thread, is making me feel old! tongue.pngfacepalm.gif

Well, I don't know about organized, solo photography tours, but I and many others travel around with a camera.... there is a lot of great stuff to photograph in Thailand or Asia!

Check out this part of TV... many of us have great fun with it!.... even check out the local forums that have a photograph thread, it will give you ideas where to go! Chaing Rai, Samui, threads would be a good start! thumbsup.gifwhistling.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/84-photography-and-the-arts/

To OP

Some good replies on this thread, so much to see here, just take your time and don't try to see too much in a short time! .... Listen and get advice from other travelers too... you won't be the only "old person" traveling around, but you will probably meet nice people of all ages thumbsup.gif .... (avoid the propping up the bar crowd) wink.pngblink.png

Good luck with your travels... wink.png

I saw a real interesting one in Bangkok, but don't have any links. I would post this as a new topic over in the photography sub forum. Have fun!

I'm 64 and love photography. I hate tours. Just google the name of the place you are interested in plus "pictures" and then click the Images link at the top of the page. You will find more shooting ideas than you will ever have time to do.

David

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Lose the weight. I'll bet ten dollars to a Mangosteen that you're obese. What's the proper weight? For most, it's the weight you were when you were twenty. Remember you're likely an inch shorter and have less muscle mass. Extra weight, is often a factor in trips/slips/falls. Your back surgery probably was a big factor in weight gain, if so, you're on a vicious cycle--the back hurts, no exercise, weight increases resulting in increased slip/fall risk. (Of course I might be wrong but I'll bet you're at least a BMI of 30, see: http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html (Care to share?).

Exercise. Ok the back issue may limit you but will likely not stop you from walking and doing such things as elliptical exerciser.

Get glasses. Almost all lose vision capability as we age. In sunlight the pupils contract sharpening vision (the same effect of using a larger f stop (smaller opening) to increase depth of field using a camera). In darker light the pupils dilate. Though unlikely at your age you could be developing cataracts, get your eyes checked out. Get a separate pair for mid range (computer use) a separate pair for reading if you need them (which you probably do) and a separate pair for distance. This last pair will make life more comfortable at dusk--do not let them talk you into bifocals of any sort though you might find bifocals useful eventually.

As we age we lose some of our sense of balance due to inner ear changes. Take some Tai Chi classes, it will help regain your sense of Equilibrioception (sense of balance).

Lastly, find a younger, active partner, preferably twenty or more years younger than you. In attempting to keep up with her she will either add twenty years to your expected life, or kill you, though you will likely die with a smile on your face.

• Like 2