Tips for buying a used pick up

Hi there

I have never purchased a used car in LOS before and seek your advice.

Today I looked at a Toyota hilux that was parked in a car yard but the boss was not around. It had a phone number on the front and currently trying to contact the owner.

If the price is good how do I safely facilitate the purchase of the car? Any tips are appreciated.

Back home if I was to buy a used car I would take my old man along and get him to review the engine etc. Or take it to a mechanic. What about over here. How can I go about checking if a lemon or not?

A lot of these pickups have been in accidents etc. Is there anyway to tell if just returned from the workshop- apart from looking for new paint job?

Any advice is apprciated

I bought a used Isuzu TFR pickup in 1998 it had 140,000kms and was a 1991 model i paid 240,000 baht it served us faithfully until last year when we sold it at 22 years old and 658,000 kms and we got 130,000baht for it ,

apart from usual tyres , regular oil , servicing and a few suspension shock replacements all we did was new aircon pump and a new starter motor and a couple of new batteries in 14 years ,,,

now got a new MUX to replace it ...

• Like 2

I bought a used Isuzu TFR pickup in 1998 it had 140,000kms and was a 1991 model i paid 240,000 baht it served us faithfully until last year when we sold it at 22 years old and 658,000 kms and we got 130,000baht for it ,

apart from usual tyres , regular oil , servicing and a few suspension shock replacements all we did was new aircon pump and a new starter motor and a couple of new batteries in 14 years ,,,

now got a new MUX to replace it ...

amazing stuff that is, come back in 22 years and report on how you made out with the MUX. :)

There is at least one company specializing in pre-purchase inspections: testcar.co.th

There was another one called cartrust.net (car trust or cart rust? :P ) but them seem to be gone now.

a tip would be to avoid those often found on classified sections on places like here. Too many rentals with high clicks on them on newish models. Especially around pattaya / phuket etc. There are exceptions of course.

can you imagine buying a second had truck (1 owner) but several hundred individual drivers like transam? lol

If your own mechanical knowledge is poor or non-existent, then take someone who can check it out.

Many good deals on second (and third and fourth) hand vehicles everywhere.

Accident damage is easy to see by sighting along the body lines for any mis-alignment. Open doors and hood to see where a respray has been done - compare paint in both places.

Serious frame damage - and repair - is also very easy to spot from below.

Check the rubber pads on clutch and brake pedals to see if wear there seem consistent with displayed mileage.

With a knowledgeable person along with you to check it out, mucho dinero can be saved buying second hand.

Difficult not knowing price range your looking for...

Is a pickup name that much different ?

So a space/open Cab type

take say a 2006 Ford Ranger about 250 k

Chevy Colorado same year 250 - 300 k

same truck but Isuzu same year about 350 k

Same year Toyota Vigo 400+ k

Is a Vigo 150,000+ baht a better pickup ?

As to what to look out for, is difficult, my last truck was a SLX D-Max, [ABS + Airbags model] there was a very small scratch on side of front bumper otherwise unmarked.. sold as normal with 400,000 KM on the clock and just over 3 years old, if the clock was put back would you know, re condition ?

On the other hand an old boy in the Village has a Isuzu TFR he bought new in 1992, still has done less then 80,000 KM in 22 years